logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: killer
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-04-17 20:44
Fame Is a Killer: Hope Hadley Cozy Mystery Series, Book 1 by Meredith Potts
Fame Is A Killer - Meredith Potts

Actress Hope Hadley thinks things cannot get any worse for her. She has just finished filming the last episode of her hit detective show, she has been told she is to old for other parts she has tried out for, and her boyfriend has left her for a younger woman. What else can go wrong?

Less then 24 hours later a whole lot goes wrong. Her ex-boyfriend has been murdered and guess who is a suspect? Yep Hope!

Hope decides she must clear her own name and help the police find the real killer. After playing a Detective on her hit show she decides she has picked up some skills help her do just that.

Can hope find the killer and clear her name or will she be found guilty of a crime she di not commit.

Meredith Potts has done a great job with this short mystery. It is only a little over 2 hours long. This is a clean book no foul language or sex scenes, and even the violence of the murder is down played.

The book is narrated by Rachel Carr.  I really enjoyed her voices and she kept me entertained and kept my attention.

I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.

review 2018-04-11 18:45
IT'S A BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD WORLD by Curtis Lawson
It's A Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad World - Curtis M. Lawson

Rarely does a book leave me without words, yet here I am. IT'S A BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD WORLD is full of horrible people and terrible situations. It was funny as hell and I loved it!

Written in vivid style it was easy to picture this in my imagination as a movie. Combine some ancient relics with your favorite action film, add a bit of any Tarantino movie, sprinkle in a dry sense of humor and finish it off with the "franks and beans" scene from There's Something About Mary-and Voila! You have the recipe for this book. (I tried to fit the battle-nun into my recipe but I can't think of anything, anywhere to liken her to. That's right, there's a bad-ass battle nun, deal with it.)

As I said, this book left me speechless, so I had to borrow descriptions of films to write this review. A friend of mine used the movie Smoking Aces to help describe this book, and I find that to be an apt comparison as well. I just don't know what else to say. Fun, full of action and humor, IT'S A BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD WORLD is a great way to spend a few hours. Highly recommended!

You can buy a copy here: IT'S A BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD WORLD

*I was provided a free e-book copy in exchange for my honest review. This is it!*

review 2018-04-09 17:16
Born Evil by Julia Derek
Born Evil - Julia Derek

You can probably guess what the twist and even the outcome of this book from other reviews, but I'm not giving anything away in mine.

I guessed the massive twist, but it was still entertaining and the very end was still a bit shocking. Wouldn't mind seeing a sequel just to see the accused get some revenge. It had some minor plot holes and some little inconsistencies, but it still kept me engaged enough to read it all to see how it ended.

The book was a freebie and I thought it worth the read. 3 stars

review 2018-03-24 01:14
The Beautiful Dead - Belinda Bauer

Started off super good but the ending felt rushed and lack-luster . Thought it was going to have more interactions of the main character with the killer since that was what was advertised on the tin, but sadly no. Glad got it out of the library and didn't buy because seriously  was underwhelmed for the last 100 pages or so.

review 2018-03-24 00:01
Mind of a Killer by Simon Beaufort
Mind of a Killer: A Victorian Mystery - Simon Beaufort

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I liked this one a lot. I added this book to my reading list on a complete impulse. I liked the cover and when I took a closer look at the book's description, I thought it sounded like something I would like. That impulse worked out well in this case. I did take me a bit to really get into the story but once I was hooked, I didn't want to stop reading. I am so glad that I made the decision to read this book.

I really liked that the book was set during the Victorian period. I thought that the era was well represented in the story and I really liked seeing how a crime might have been solved with the resources that they had on hand. I found the scenes from the mortuary really interesting and found myself wondering how many crimes were missed. There were a lot of descriptions that really made the period come to life so it was really easy to visualize what was happening.

The mystery in this book is very solid. I usually read a book's description once when deciding if I want to read it and then promptly forget any details. I was shocked when the discovery was made about what was taken from the murder victim. I couldn't figure out what the killer's motive might have been and I had no idea who might have been behind the crimes. This is a book that kept me guessing until the very end.

The characters in the book were very well done. Londale was determined to find out what had happened and I liked the way that he went about finding out. He was smart and resourceful. I found myself liking him more and more as the book progressed. Hulda was such a fun character. She is the only female reporter working at the newspaper and she doesn't seem to worry if she is acting like a proper lady most of the time. When she needs to play a part to get someone to open up, she can quickly fit into just about any role and you never seemed to know what she might say or do. Londale and Hulda made a really good team and I liked the way they interacted with each other.

I would recommend this book to mystery fans. This had so many wonderful elements that came together to tell a rather thought provoking and entertaining story. I do hope to see more books featuring this amazing group of characters very soon..

I received a digital advanced reader edition of this book from Severn House Publishers via NetGalley.

Initial Thoughts
I ended up liking this one a lot. I had a rather hard time getting into the story but I think that had more to do with my life than the book. I thought that the mystery was interesting and complex. I liked the characters quite a bit and thought the period was well represented. This one did keep me guessing until the very end which was a big plus.