logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: killer
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-09-17 22:28
Killer Librarian / Mary Lou Kirwin
Killer Librarian (Thorndike Press Large Print Mystery Series) - Mary Lou Kirwin

Champion of the mystery section at a small-town Minnesota library, Karen Nash is about to embark on a dream trip to London, a literary tour inspired by every murderous intrigue, wily suspect, and ingenious crime found in the pages of the British mysteries that she devours. But she's clueless why the love of her mid-life, Dave, would dump her hours before takeoff, until she spies him at the airport with a young honey on his arm! She decides the best revenge (for now) is to get on that plane anyway . . . and entertain schemes for Dave's untimely demise while crossing the pond.
After touching ground in the hallowed homeland of Christie, Sayers, and Peters, she checks into a cozy B & B run by charming bibliophile Caldwell Perkins. Soon she's spilling tears in her pint at the corner pub, sharing her heartbreak saga with a stranger. That night, a B & B guest drops out of circulation permanently. And when Dave and his cutie turn up in London, Karen realizes they are an assassin's target. With the meticulous attention to detail that makes her a killer librarian, Karen sleuths her way through her own real-life mystery in which library science meets the art of murder.

I read this book for the Cozy Mystery square of my 2018 Halloween Bingo card.

I’m not usually a tremendous fan of the cozy mystery genre—I tend to like things a bit darker and more threatening--but I was charmed by this librarian-reluctantly-turned-sleuth tale that also incorporated a gentle romance.

Karen Nash is a successful librarian who has always dreamed of visiting England, the land of all of her favourite authors. She has carefully planned her upcoming vacation, trying to indulge her passion for literature while not boring her plumber boyfriend Dave. But the course of true love never did run smooth and Dave dumps Karen just days before they are to embark on this adventure. What’s a girl to do? Karen buys her own plane ticket and goes anyway, finding at the airport that Dave has replaced her with a younger woman. Understandably angry, Karen conceals herself as best she can on the flight, then follows the couple upon landing in London.

Who hasn’t been dumped and fantasized about taking revenge on the former object of our affection? Karen books into her B&B and is pleased to find that the owner loves books as much as she does. When she goes looking for some juice in the middle of her first night, she stumbles over the body of a fellow customer, complicating her situation.

The remainder of the book deals with meeting the other denizens of the B&B, being touristy in London, causing trouble for the disloyal Dave, pursuing the new man in her life, plus solving the murder mystery. A very full schedule. Karen is a woman after my own heart, a planner, a reader, and a very competent woman.

Perfect if you want a warm, fuzzy reading experience with a very gentle mystery attached to it. Truly, the story is much more about Karen and how she sorts out her life after it’s been shaken up. Very enjoyable.

review 2018-09-05 17:57
Review & Giveaway – The Mind’s Eye by Perry Prete @PerryPreteBooks @iReadBookTours
The Mind's Eye - Perry Prete

I love this awesome cover. The concept and design were done by Kristine Barker and Wendy Treverton. What do you think?

Book Details:

Book Title: The Mind’s Eye by Perry Prete
Category: Adult Fiction; 243 pages
Genre: Thriller
Publisher: Sands Press
Release date: March 7, 2018
Tour dates: Sept 3 to 21, 2018
Content Rating: R (Violence towards women based on real life events, language, graphic violence)

MY REVIEW

After I got over the brutal murder, I couldn’t help but laugh at Paul as he faces his day. He is definitely not a morning person and I can relate. Neither am I. I like that he wears sneakers with his suits. Makes sense to me. I laugh along with his police partners as they poke fun at him, like only true friends can do.

Nicole is just hanging out with her best friend, while the power is out due to a snowstorm, when her gift comes to light.

HE is pure evil. How does he choose his victims? I’ll leave that up to you to find out, but it is not what your run of the mill serial killer would he. He is brutal, savage. He is a real sicko.

Nicole’s ability is developing and she has no idea how intense it will get. She can feel the victim’s pain, live through their death. .I know she will get involved in the investigation and now I know how and why.

When Paul and Nicole meet, something zaps between them. Big surprise, right? (said sarcastically) I don’t mind knowing some of the story beforehand,, just as long as the author throws in a surprise or two. I love the scene where Nicole is getting dressed for their date. Simone is helping her and she does need the help. I love her BFF.

It’s easy to see how Carl, the reporter becomes involved. Investigating is not a nine to five, sit at your desk job. He goes out in the field. He wants to be a REAL reporter. He even dresses the part in a thrift store suit that makes me think of the film noir PI’s.

I love the dark, black as night thrillers and this qualifies. The murders are gruesome, grisly, overkill, mutilations beyond your imagination. Then…comes the autopsy description that takes it to another level of upchucking ugliness. The more grossness Perry Prete feeds me, the hungrier I get. BUT, I do like fun and smiles with my murder mysteries and he does supply that too, along with dialogue and easy banter between the characters.

Oh man, the hospital scene. Caught me by surprise, but Nicole is not afraid and I love it. NOW IT’S INTENSE…my thoughts run riot, I want to scream and yell, my heart beats a little faster, my eyes devour the words faster, the pace of the novel picks up, the suspense mounting.

The ending…..FANTASTIC.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of The Mind’s Eye by Perry Prete

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  4 Stars

ENTER THE GIVEAWAY HERE

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • I am an Amazon affiliate/product images are linked.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/review-giveaway-the-minds-eye-by-perry-prete-perrypretebooks-ireadbooktours
review 2018-09-01 23:44
Hunting Fear
Hunting Fear (Fear trilogy #1 - BCU #7) - Kay Hooper

This was my head start read. I was so excited that I finished it before the week even ended. I read it for the Murder Most Foul square.

This is an exciting crime thriller with detectives that have psychic abilities. The plot had some unexpected twists and left the killer's identity hidden until near the end of the book. The methods of killing are particularly gruesome and frightening, including a timed guillotine, drowning in a tank that fills slowly and being buried alive.

This is the first in a series of books with the Special Crimes Unit (a special group within the FBI of detectives with psychic abilities). It seems like each book follows a different special agent.

review 2018-08-25 08:00
BLOG TOUR Review: The Hangman's Hold (DCI Matilda Darke #4) by Michael Wood
The Hangman's Hold - Michael Wood

ISBN: 978-0008311629

Published by: Killer Reads (24th August 2018)

Rating: 5*

Synopsis:

There’s a killer in your house.
The Hangman waits in the darkness of your living room. As soon as you get home, he will kill you – hang you by the neck – and make you pay for all the crimes you have tried desperately to forget.

He knows your darkest secrets.
The police are running out of time. DCI Matilda Darke is facing her worst nightmare: a serial killer pursuing his own brand of lethal justice, whose campaign of violence is spreading fear throughout the city.

And he is closer than you think.
As the body count rises, Matilda is personally targeted and even her most trusted colleagues fall under suspicion. But can she keep those closest to her from harm? Or is it already too late?

Review:

DCI Matilda Darke is such a beautifully written character. She's strong - capable of barking out orders with a ferocity that demands results, yet has a beguiling fragility as a result of the most unimaginable emotional trauma. In The Hangman's Hold, Matilda faces losing her very sanity as she and her team hunt down a vigilante serial killer who has decided to take matters into their own hands.

This is an intriguing book that grabbed my attention from the outset. The Hangman character is utterly creepy and made me feel uneasy enough to look over my shoulder as I read, but at the same time I felt compelled to keep reading to find out what they would do next! There are many personal and professional relationships within the police team that get tested to the max when the elusive killer seems to be out of their grasp. With more twists and turns than a hangman's noose, this novel also really made me think. When is a crime paid for?

Michael Wood has managed to squeeze all the elements needed for a brilliant crime novel into a truly engrossing read. DCI Matilda Darke is fast becoming one of my favourite characters because she is just so real. I'd like to thank the author, Harper Impulse, Killer Reads and Netgalley for providing an ARC. This is my unbiased review.

Catch the rest of the blog tour with these fabulous bloggers here: -

review 2018-08-12 04:46
The Jekyll Revelation
The Jekyll Revelation - Robert Masello,Christopher Lane

This is a historical horror/thriller story revolving around Robert Louis Stevenson, the story of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, and Jack the Ripper. It alternates between 1880's London and "present day" California. My favorite parts were in the 1880's where Stevenson creates the story of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde and deals with the consequences. The present-day story revolves around Rafe, an environmental scientist who is working to save the coyotes and stumbles across a mysterious steamer trunk.

The part with Stevenson is intriguing and suspenseful and was hard to put down. But, the present day part with Rafe is a bit tedious and took a while to get going. I kept trying to figure out how it connected with the Stevenson story but was more interested in getting back to the 1880's. The narration is well done even though the accent irritated me a bit.

This is a brilliant premise for a story but lacks a bit in the execution. Overall I enjoyed it and recommend it to fans of history and horror (as combining the two is a bit unusual).