logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: lady-thief
Load new posts () and activity
review 2015-06-24 20:46
Stronger than the first
Lady Thief - A.C. Gaughen

It is rare - for me at least - that I find the middle book to be actually stronger than the first book. This is one of those occasions. I liked Scarlet, but I didn't love it, and I really struggled with the love triangle that the author felt she needed to add to the story. Far from adding, I felt like the triangulation between Scarlet, Little John and Robin Hood detracted tremendously from book 1.

That's over, and Gaughen amps up the stakes tremendously in this book. Shit. Gets. Real. There is heartbreak, and pain, and we feel it with the characters. This is an epic fight, and our main characters are the underdogs and are just getting the shit beat out of them constantly. There is self-sacrifice. Literally, characters lose body parts. A main character dies.

It ends on a mostly sad note. Up next: Lionheart.

review 2014-07-18 01:58
Review: Lady Thief
Lady Thief - A.C. Gaughen

As soon as I put down book 1 in this trilogy (Scarlet ) . I started the next book. This was a wonderful sequel. With just as much action in the last book it was a roller coaster ride from beginning to end and I am waiting and wanting more. Twist and turns aplenty make this a great read and the third can not come out soon enough. I will be first in line to get this book I need to see what happens next. I want more.

review 2014-04-10 15:17
Lady Thief by A.C. Gaughen

Originally found on my blog Oh, For the Love of Books!

Lady Thief (Scarlet #2)
by A. C. Gaughen
Source: Netgalley
Format: e-book
Pages: 304

Release Date: Available Now

Spoilers for book 1! Ye have been warned!
Review for 1st book here: Scarlet

Goodreads summary:

Scarlet’s true identity has been revealed, but her future is uncertain. Her forced marriage to Lord Gisbourne threatens Robin and Scarlet’s love, and as the royal court descends upon Nottingham for the appointment of a new Sheriff, the people of Nottingham hope that Prince John will appoint their beloved Robin Hood. But Prince John has different plans for Nottingham that revolve around a fateful secret from Scarlet’s past even she isn’t yet aware of. Forced to participate at court alongside her ruthless husband, Scarlet must bide her time and act the part of a noblewoman—a worthy sacrifice if it means helping Robin’s cause and a chance at a future with the man she loves. With a fresh line of intrigue and as much passion as ever, the next chapter in Scarlet’s tale will have readers talking once again.

My Feelings:

Oh, sweet Lady Thief. Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?

Heck no. Because summer days are all nice and pretty and evoke lots of happy feelings of puppies frolicking in the summer grass. I want the puppies. This book does not have the puppies.

Loved it anyways.

Let's get this straight - this book isn't all cupcakes and roses. Things don't just conveniently appear to make the situation a little less sucky. No timely tunnel appears to give an easy way out for the characters. There is no prince charming that swoops in and saves the day. This book is real. Crappy things happen (lots of crappy things) to Scarlet and our boys and they take it in stride like the bosses they are.

Scarlet is just trying to make it in this dog-eat-dog world. She's got such a heart and is loyal to a "t". Her tenacity and fierce can-do attitude, even when she's afraid, is something to be admired. But what never ceases to amaze me is her underlying belief in hope and faith. She may not be perfect, something which she readily admits (and yet another inspiring trait), but she continues to strive to be the best she can be. She is selfless and even when incredible hardships come, she retains hope in the belief that one day, it will be better.

And Rob. Oh, how I feel for you. Rob is suffering from PTSD (something close to my heart and a reason for me studying psychology), and it's taking it's toll. He's having a hard time being the hero everyone wants/needs him to be, and it doesn't help any that his lady love can't be there to help him. And yet, though he is suffering, he never waivers in his determination to help the people of Nottingham. It is this selfless attitude and utter loyalty that makes Scarlet (and me) swoon.

John and Much are as awesome as ever. Though I wanted to punch John in the face, the choice he made was totally understandable and even incredibly admirable. Still wanted to punch him though. And Much! So adorable and wise well beyond his years and always there with a helping hand (HA! see what I did there? I'm funny.).

And the stakes are as high as ever in this sequel. This book focuses more on Scarlet in a court setting. Gisbourne is holding bait in front of her: he'll annul the marriage if she acts as his wife while the (annoyingly childish) Prince is there.Sound all kinds of sketchy to me, and Scarlet too, but she's willing to try if it means she ends up with Robin (which, believe me, we all want).

And the ending?! GAH! As soon as the "secret" was hinted at, I knew. But I didn't know for sure so I waited with baited breath. SERIOUSLY!? And then the ending? WHAT?! You can't do that!!!!! And, no offense, that was an idiotic move on Scarlet's part. What did she think would happen? Normally she's relatively smart and always has a plan, but I was definitely questioning her plan on that one.
But, I don't want to say too much more because I'll give things away but here's the rundown:

Scarlet: Knife-weilding, smart-talking girl determined to save the day.
Rob: A PTSD suffering fella who's determined to make it through anyways.
John: Big brother, big annoyance, big heart.
Much: Always there with a few wise words and a helping hand (ha! Seriously, I'm incredibly funny. Punny?).
Gisbourne: Ahhhh, I see that you try to make us feel some empathy for him Gaughen. Failed! Well, maybe not completely.
Prince John: I'd like to kick him so hard where it hurts that he'll be singing soprano for a month.
Eleanor of Aquitaine: Awesomeness. She wields people like they're part of a chess game.
Ending: SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!! CLIFFHANGER! THE FEELS!

Overall: This book sucker punches you in the throat then gives you a big ol’ hug while saying everything is going to be okay. Hopefully.

Source: ohfortheloveofbooks.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-one-where-i-review-lady-thief.html
review 2014-04-09 15:39
Fuck it.
Lady Thief - A.C. Gaughen

I have been sitting on this book for ages now in a vien attempt to think of something worthy to write about the review. well i cant and now im just getting further and further away.

besides i can sum it up in just two words

READ IT!!!!!

because seriously this book plus (scarlet) the first one were just simply amazing. i've never read or had anything really to do with the robin hood tales, but i thought this was just a superb re-telling with fun breath taking twists. the characters are beyond lovable and people who will stay forever in your heart. The world building and description was great, i have no issues with imagery.

so yes i do highly recommend this read to all. and thanks Joan for not only recommending me this series but also buddy reading it with me. i had a great time as usual! til next time ;)

peace out.

review 2014-02-28 15:17
Ready for book #3!
Lady Thief - A.C. Gaughen

This is book 2 of 3 in the series and it did really well for a second book. It moved the plot along, developed characters more deeply, had some fun adventurous scenes, and ended on a bit of a cliff hanger. I think series (serieses?) can be really hard to write (or write well) because each book has to serve a purpose to the story without giving too much away at once, and without leaving the reader behind. That wasn't the case with this book though, and it has kept my excitement up for the series and book three.

I was glad to see a bit of an evolution in the characters. They seem to be developing and maturing as the books progress. I was a bit annoyed at time at the MC's angst though. I wish she was more of a strong-willed, confident woman, not a stubborn girl, and i think she confuses the two. I'm hoping the MC matures in the third book as much as the other characters did.