logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: layton-reads-the-dark-fantastic
Load new posts () and activity
review 2015-06-20 20:13
What is Evil? - The Bleeding Season (Review)
The Bleeding Season - Greg F Gifune

It has been so long since I wrote a good review on here that I think I've forgotten how. I know I really neglect my reading websites and just my reading in general these days, but I've been trying to get back in the hang of things. I started by reading two Richard Laymon books, which are good, easy, fun reads which I'll probably post reviews of later. I read these books rather quick and they helped me get out of my massive reading slump. I was going through my Kindle after I finished the second book trying to figure out what I was going to read next and happened upon The Bleeding Season. I tried reading The Bleeding Season last summer but I really couldn't handle it. I don't know whether it was due to my mind set at the time or what, but the book was too dark and slow-paced for me to really enjoy at the time. So I decided to try to finish it. I'm extremely glad I did.

*****************************************

The Goodreads description of the book:

Alan, Tommy, Rick, Donald and Bernard were inseparable best friends living in the small, coastal Massachusetts town of Potter's Cove. A circle of five, their world was simple and happy until the day Tommy was struck by a car and killed. Nothing was ever the same. They were never the same.

Years later, as the four survivors-all unhappy, unsuccessful and marking time-approach their fortieth birthdays, Bernard suddenly commits suicide.

Within weeks of Bernard's death, one by one the mutilated bodies of murder victims are found in town, and as the three remaining friends attempt to solve the riddle of Bernard's suicide, they come to realize that he may not have been who or what they thought he was. His entire life may have been a lie, and rather than the sad, lonely and harmless person they believed him to be, he very well may have been a savage ritual killer, a bleeder of young women who conjured evil to fulfill his own demented dreams. To find the truth not only about Bernard, but themselves, they must delve into the darkness and those who inhabit it, a darkness that cradles an unspeakable evil so terrifying it could forever trap them in the shadows of the damned and shatter the very concept of their existence.

THE BLEEDING SEASON: Evil is a state of mind.

Evil is a state of mind.

Remember that.

I've never read a book dealing more with what evil actually is than this one.

And this is definitely not your typical horror story. This story is sad and at times you will want to put it down. It gets that sad. There is no scene in this book that is too gory (is that how you spell that?) or disgusting. It just isn't that kind of horror novel. This book builds atmosphere. Fuck, it chokes you with it and then makes you care about these characters who it puts through hell, literally and figuratively, at every turn.

But what really disturbed me about this novel is that it actually made me feel vulnerable just like the characters in it. Do we really know the people we love? Are we born evil or influenced by it. Is evil a state of mind or is it like a disease? Is it both?

It's hard to talk about this book, but I highly recommend it.

5 glowing stars

**********************************

I probably won't be on here much for a while because I have to go to this six week university program after vacation this week, but I'll try to make updates from my phone (which is a pain in the ass to do). Sorry about the inactivity. I'm reading Boy's Life by Robert McCammon right now and I'm definitely going to try to review that book, even though it might be harder than this book to review. I love it so far. :)

review 2015-02-17 00:53
Milestone - Haunted Place
Milestone: The Collected Stories, Volume One - Kealan Patrick Burke

I'm glad I ventured to read more Kealan Patrick Burke and wasn't entirely turned off by the lackluster Turtle Boy. It led me to this collection. This absolutely marvelous collection.

In this collection are four separate stories, each packed to the brim with true horror of the human variety, not just the typical goes-bump-in-the-night monsters fare.

And through each you can steadily see the town of Milestone's decline from an already decrepit place to something more dark and deserted.

I won't give away much about the stories other than that all are great five stars reads and you won't forget them.

Highly Recommended

review 2014-10-10 04:31
Maybe the Best Book I've Ever Read
The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt

If you read one book this year make it this one. It has power that no book should be able to possess.

That's all I'm saying for now.

And I apologize for not being very active on here of late.

review 2014-08-24 04:36
The Real Review of Deep Breath...The Doctor Who Season 8 Premiere

I tend to pace when I am frustrated, angry, or emotional. Today, after watching Deep Breath I was all three.

This episode really doesn't go together right. The first half is hilarious, with the Doctor acting practically senile, but the second half is so dark it doesn't contrast right with it.

I also didn't actually care for Capaldi until halfway through. His Doctor was acting far too much like Matt Smith or David Tennant's and that really worried me. If this Doctor was too similar to the previous two I would lose interest rather quickly. But he pulled through come that second half, even though I am not entirely familiar with him. You see, even though Capaldi's doctor is flung across the screen in front of us we still only vaguely know him. You may think I sound stupid since it is only the first episode with him, and it would be impossible to truly understand him yet, but we still don't even understand him enough after a first episode.

Some other fans, including a friend of mine who wouldn't stop texting me during the show (grrr) remarked that they couldn't understand him. I couldn't either. He seemed to mumble his lines and I didn't like that.

But for once Clara was the best thing about the episode. I absolutely adored her scenes and she showed a strength I had not yet seen. I loved her and if Jenna Louis-Coleman keeps delivering performance like this, I will be sad to see her go.

The villains were boring and reminded me both of The Girl In The Fireplace episode and the classic Talons of Weng Chiang serial, which was sad considering that those were both brilliant stories.

I liked the appearance from the Paternoster Gang but didn't find them necessary. Strax was quite funny though, especially when he knocked Clara in the face with a newspaper (which really needs to be a gif).

I do think Moffat chose wisely to make the Daleks be this Doctor's second villains. He needs a familiar face(s) to complain about.

Ahh, this episode was good but I want my Eleventh Doctor back, which wasn't helped at all by giving Matt Smith a cameo at the end of the episode, which I thought was a stupid move and was just Moffat trying to be a tearjerker. He should be distancing the audience from the last Doctor not giving him cameos, and making him the real hero of the story.

3.5 Stars

This episode was extremely dark and good in that respect, but if this season is going to work, some things are going to have to change.

I might update this with more thoughts on the episode once I rewatch it.

review 2014-08-24 03:17
Umm...Okay

I'm a little bit confused and unsure about the new Doctor Who. I'm going to rewatch it and then do a real review. This episode didn't do a good job of familiarizing the fans with Capaldi's doctor, in fact I'd say how he acted in the first half of the episode distanced us from him.

And he is acting a little too much like Matt Smith.