logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: le-sterling
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-05-21 21:29
Review: True North (True Born Trilogy #2) by L.E. Sterling
True North - L.E. Sterling

It’s not you…it’s your DNA. Abandoned by her family in Plague-ridden Dominion City, eighteen-year-old Lucy Fox has no choice but to rely upon the kindness of the True Borns, a renegade group of genetically enhanced humans, to save her twin sister, Margot. But Nolan Storm, their mysterious leader, has his own agenda. When Storm backtracks on his promise to rescue Margot, Lucy takes her fate into her own hands and sets off for Russia with her True Born bodyguard and maybe-something-more, the lethal yet beautiful Jared Price. In Russia, there’s been whispered rumors of Plague Cure. While Lucy fights her magnetic attraction to Jared, anxious that his loyalty to Storm will hurt her chances of finding her sister, they quickly discover that not all is as it appears…and discovering the secrets contained in the Fox sisters’ blood before they wind up dead is just the beginning. As they say in Dominion, sometimes it’s not you…it’s your DNA.

*I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley  and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

1 ½ ★

I really was hoping this series would get better but sadly I thought it got worse.

While in book one we still got some plot , this book most of it felt forced and as pages fillers. I couldn’t really connect to the story at all this book.

Lucy was just TSTL the entire book, and really it seemed like she kept thinking she is ever so smart and trying to outsmart people when she really was just dumb.  And that was her without having  Price around and with him. Omg there are no words.

If that is even possible he as even a bigger a$$ in this book and I didn’t think there was anything sexy about him. He was just creepy, controlling and over all a jacka$$.

I had to force myself to finish it which wad sad because I really wanted to like this series.

I rated it at 1 ½ ★ and with hat will not continue with the series.

Buy Links

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/05/21/review-true-north-true-born-trilogy-2-by-l-e-sterling
review 2018-05-21 21:18
Review: True Born (True Born Trilogy #1) by L.E. Sterling
True Born - L.E. Sterling

After the great Plague descended, the world population was decimated…and their genetics damaged beyond repair. The Lasters wait hopelessly for their genes to self-destruct. The Splicers pay for expensive treatments that might prolong their life. The plague-resistant True Borns are as mysterious as they are feared… And then there’s Lucy Fox and her identical twin sister, Margot. After endless tests, no one wants to reveal what they are. When Margot disappears, a desperate Lucy has no choice but to put her faith in the True Borns, led by the charismatic Nolan Storm and the beautiful but deadly Jared Price. As Lucy and the True Borns set out to rescue her sister, they stumble upon a vast conspiracy stretching from Dominion’s street preachers to shady Russian tycoons. But why target the Fox sisters? As they say in Dominion, it’s in the blood.

*I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

2 ½ ★

This was one of those books that I really wanted to love because it sounded different and great. In the end I wasn’t really sure if I like it or not. I liked the idea of the book and thought it would have been really great but just needed a bit more polishing up . I thought it was missing some world building because there is not much , we sorta just get thrown in and that’s it. Not much background or other explaining and it just felt a bit dull. Another turn off for me was the insta lust , really she saw him and pretty much lost other brain from that moment on , I should call it insta stupid instead of insta lust , because that is really what happened . And overall she was not the smartest person and always found the most iodic things to do and get herself and others in danger. And Jared Price, umm yeah I think he was supposed to be one of those “bad boy” alpha male but really just came over as an A&&hole and not in a good way. I rolled my eyes way to many times and other times I was just angry at him. He stalkerish and controlling and that relationship was not healthy at all in my eyes.

I will continue on to see if it gets better and I really hope it does, because I think the story has a lot of potential. Overall, I rate this book 2 ½ ★

Buy Links

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/?p=89&preview=true
review 2018-03-18 23:54
One last time with Sam and Jory...
But For You - Mary Calmes,Finn Sterling

Ok so this is the last book in the series with Sam and Jory as the MCs and we have yet another new narrator. This time it's Finn Sterling and once again the narration was good but the voices just weren't working for me and while I liked the story because I wasn't over the moon with the narrators voices for Sam and Jory things were ok but not awesome.

And again if I have a chance I'll give this one a real review in the near further but really this series has been around for quite a while so I'm not sure that there's much more to say that hasn't already been said, but for now I'm done and on to the next book.

review 2018-03-05 14:34
My ninety-fourth podcast is up!
The Career of an Eighteenth-Century Kapellmeister: The Life and Music of Antonio Rosetti - Sterling E. Murray

Podcast #94 is up on the New Books Network website! In it, I interview Sterling Murray about his biography of the classical composer Antonio Rosetti (which I reviewed here). Enjoy!

review 2018-03-04 18:10
The world of the classical composer

Antonio Rosetti may not be the household name today that his contemporary Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is, but he nonetheless ranks as one of the more popular composers of the classical era. Born in Bohemia, at a young age he found employment as a musician at the court of the south German prince of Oettingen-Wallerstein. There he wrote a steady stream of compositions which soon gained him renown, while a five-month trip to Paris in 1781-2 both boosted his profile further and introduced him to musical ideas that he adopted to produce even finer works. After rising to the position of Kapellmeister, he moved north to the court of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, where he continued composing until his premature death in 1792.

Though Rosetti left an impressive body of work relatively little is known about his life. For much of what is known we have Sterling Murray to thank for decades of labor in archives throughout Europe. He has written an exemplary biography of the man, one that fills in many of the gaps by reconstructing life at the Oettingen-Wallerstein court. As a result, he gives readers what is not just the best account of Rosetti's life we are likely to have but a look at the experience of the 18th century musician, one that Murray follows with a comprehensive style study of his compositions in various forms, from symphonies to vocal works. It is an impressive achievement, one that should be read not just by students of Rosetti but anyone interested in early modern European music history or the world of the 18th century European court.