logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: lemony-snicket
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-05-26 03:29
When Did You See Her Last? - Seth,Lemony Snicket

For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

Overall, a good read, especially for fans of Lemony Snicket and his unique narration style.

This book contains a new wrong question and a new mystery while continuing the larger scheme from the first book. It picks up right where the first book left off. There are more strange characters and new developments regarding Kit. It is a good mystery story.

I didn't like this one as much as the first one. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I think this one dragged on a bit more than the first. I wanted it to move a bit quicker. The story was interesting, but it was a bit slow at times.

Great artwork, as with the first book. And like the first book, the audio narration is well done. Good job, Original Klaus Baudelaire.

Overall, a good read and I definitely want to continue the series, but it didn't live up to the excitement I felt reading the first book in the series. Can't wait to see what else Stain'd-by-the-Sea has in store for young Snicket.

review 2018-05-11 14:39
Who Could That Be At This Hour? - Lemony Snicket,Seth

For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

As with The Series of Unfortunate Events, this book is not altogether satisfying at the end and leaves more questions asked than answered, but it is still an entertaining mystery story.

I enjoyed learning more about Lemony Snicket's youth and how he got his start.

I loved the mystery and the various twists and turns. Yes, there are a few twists that are pretty obvious ("Come on, Snicket, step up your game. Who's the first person you always suspect in a fancy-pants mystery in a mansion?), but it is still an interesting book.

As far as the audiobook itself was concerned, I enjoyed it. I listened to the audiobook of Hatchet before this, whose narrator had a really low voice that was hard to hear. In comparison, Liam Aiken did a very good job. Bonus points for changing his voice in the dialogue.

The book ends by setting up the second book in the series, much like the misadventures of the Baudelaires, which again is a bit unsatisfying, but it did make me want to continue the series. You successfully snagged a reader intent on finishing the series. Bravo, Snicket.

review 2018-02-25 02:49
The Slippery Slope
The Slippery Slope - Michael Kupperman,Lemony Snicket,Brett Helquist

The tenth book in this outrageous publishing effort features more than the usual dose of distressing details, such as snow gnats, an organised troupe of youngsters, an evil villain with a dastardly plan, a secret headquarters and some dangerous antics you should not try at home. With the weather turning colder, this is one chilling book you would be better off without. (From Amazon)

The title of this book refers not only to the mountain the Baudelaire children find themselves on but also to the slippery slope that could lead them to become villains. The Baudelaires are challenged to save their sister and find out the secrets of VFD without comprising their principles.

The performance of Tim Curry (who reads the story) is flawless - to the point where I forget who I'm listening to. His portrayal of Count Olaf is deliciously evil.

review 2018-01-08 19:50
The Lump of Coal ★★★★★
The Lump of Coal (Audio) - Lemony Snicket,Neil Patrick Harris,Brett Helquist

An adorable anthropomorphic lump of coal goes on a journey to find his destiny. Loved it.

Audiobook, borrowed from my public library via Overdrive, with an excellent reading by Neil Patrick Harris, as if he could do anything but provide an outstanding performance of a Lemony Snicket story.

review 2017-11-08 01:34
Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston
Zorgamazoo - Victor Rivas,Robert Paul Weston

I did it! I read this book.

Now you're thinking that it isn't such a big deal to read a children's book. It could take most readers a day or two, but I had the nuttiest inspiration to read this book out loud to myself. I do not live alone and I could only read this when there was nobody around. Plus I could not read for very long periods of times because my throat would start to hurt. Needless to say, it took me a while to read this. I could have pushed myself and read every day, but I didn't, plus I was reading other things too.

I did not expect so much feeling from this book. It really does remind me of Dr. Seuss and Raold Dahl like the blurb on the book says. It also has A Series of Unfortunate Events vibe in the sense that it is a children's book that doesn't sugar coat words. It is very dark and morbid at times. I love this about children books. People do not give kids enough credit and they can handle a bunch more than sickly sweet stories where nothing bad happens, so it is nice to have a series like Lemony Snicket's or this book.

There were times in the book were I got choked up while reading and that came out of the blue. The characters were really well written and I felt close to them.

The only reason it did not get a five star is two bits. There was a point where one of the characters was mean to another character and it irked me quite a lot because I thought she would know better than treat someone that way, considering how her guardian was toward her. This only happened once, so I wasn't bothered enough to stop reading, which I could have been if it continued to happen.

The other bit is some of the writing did not flow as well as a verse should flow. This might be because I'm reading it out loud, but it should roll off the tongue, I believe and be like a song or epic poem. (The rhyming kind.)

Other than that I loved this book and the characters. Even the villains were done so bad that they were good, you know what I mean. Same as the parents in a lot of children books, I disliked the guardian figure in this story, but you are meant to. The author wrote her so creepily well.

Side note, this is the first book I have wrote in, marked up, highlighted since I was a child and that wasn't seen as so taboo in the book community. I don't know if I will continue to annotate my books, but the experience, though frightening, was very fun.