logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: lemony-snicket
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-01-08 19:50
The Lump of Coal ★★★★★
The Lump of Coal (Audio) - Lemony Snicket,Neil Patrick Harris,Brett Helquist

An adorable anthropomorphic lump of coal goes on a journey to find his destiny. Loved it.

Audiobook, borrowed from my public library via Overdrive, with an excellent reading by Neil Patrick Harris, as if he could do anything but provide an outstanding performance of a Lemony Snicket story.

review 2017-11-08 01:34
Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston
Zorgamazoo - Victor Rivas,Robert Paul Weston

I did it! I read this book.

Now you're thinking that it isn't such a big deal to read a children's book. It could take most readers a day or two, but I had the nuttiest inspiration to read this book out loud to myself. I do not live alone and I could only read this when there was nobody around. Plus I could not read for very long periods of times because my throat would start to hurt. Needless to say, it took me a while to read this. I could have pushed myself and read every day, but I didn't, plus I was reading other things too.

I did not expect so much feeling from this book. It really does remind me of Dr. Seuss and Raold Dahl like the blurb on the book says. It also has A Series of Unfortunate Events vibe in the sense that it is a children's book that doesn't sugar coat words. It is very dark and morbid at times. I love this about children books. People do not give kids enough credit and they can handle a bunch more than sickly sweet stories where nothing bad happens, so it is nice to have a series like Lemony Snicket's or this book.

There were times in the book were I got choked up while reading and that came out of the blue. The characters were really well written and I felt close to them.

The only reason it did not get a five star is two bits. There was a point where one of the characters was mean to another character and it irked me quite a lot because I thought she would know better than treat someone that way, considering how her guardian was toward her. This only happened once, so I wasn't bothered enough to stop reading, which I could have been if it continued to happen.

The other bit is some of the writing did not flow as well as a verse should flow. This might be because I'm reading it out loud, but it should roll off the tongue, I believe and be like a song or epic poem. (The rhyming kind.)

Other than that I loved this book and the characters. Even the villains were done so bad that they were good, you know what I mean. Same as the parents in a lot of children books, I disliked the guardian figure in this story, but you are meant to. The author wrote her so creepily well.

Side note, this is the first book I have wrote in, marked up, highlighted since I was a child and that wasn't seen as so taboo in the book community. I don't know if I will continue to annotate my books, but the experience, though frightening, was very fun.

review 2017-10-14 23:21
The Bad Mood and the Stick - Lemony Snicket,Matthew Forsythe

Great story that develops in a way that is not exactly how you expect. The illustrations definitely compliment the story, while adding a little bit more to each scene. There is a lot of opportunity for discussion regarding what other characters are up to through out the book as well.

I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

review 2017-07-05 23:53
Goldfish Ghost - Lemony Snicket, Lisa Brown
Goldfish Ghost - Lemony Snicket,Lisa Brown

The team who brought me The Latke Who Wouldn't Stop Screaming, one of my favorite holiday books, has brought another delight. The former goldfish goes out in search of company. Unexpected and sweet, with a deceptively simple and traditional style of illustration. Special props for the diverse street and beach scene. Brown and Snicket are a fabulous team.

And this business of special endpapers is a great one. That and the common sentence on how the art is created are both splendid additions. I have come to expect them, and am disappointed if a book doesn't include them.

Library copy

review 2017-04-01 00:38
A Series of Unfortunate Events
A Series of Unfortunate Events (Books 1-10) - Lemony Snicket

This is a series I grew up loving when I was a child! I remember having AR quizzes on these books when I was younger.They tell the story of the Baudelaire children who are orphaned after losing their parents in a fire. The novels describe the journey these children go through to protect their parents fortune and the mischief they become involved in. It is a great series to get children interested in reading with. The books would be good in 5th or 6th grade and the series as a whole has a lexile level of around 1010L for each book. For the classroom, I think it would be hard to cover the whole series, so you could create a book club for students to join and have these series as a fun after school book to read with friends. The books would also be good to use for summer reading.