logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: library-books
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-10-10 16:12
Horror Square
The Infernal Library: On Dictators, the Books They Wrote, and Other Catastrophes of Literacy - Daniel Kalder

So this is going to count for the horror square on bingo because that whole bear was freaky.

Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley

I have to admit, I almost didn’t request this title from Netgalley. It wasn’t that the topic, a study of works by dictators, didn’t sound interesting. It did, but there also seemed a possibility for dryness, and I really wasn’t in the mood. But I requested it anyway.

I am very happy I did. Mr. Kalder, I am sorry for thinking it would be dry.

Honesty, you know you are in good hands when the book starts, “This is a book about dictator literature – that is to say, it is a book about the canon of works written or attributed to dictators. As such, it is a book about some of the worst books ever written, and so was excruciatingly painful to research.”

Kalder took one for the team, and quite frankly, we should repay him by reading this book.

The book isn’t so much literary criticism; though Kalder does not shy away from calling a bad book a bad book. For instance, on The Green Book, “it is not merely boring, or banal, or repetitive, or nonsensical, although it is certainly all those things. It is quite simply, stupid . . . “.

And he is fair, for Kalder notes of Mussolini’s bodice ripper (which isn’t really one apparently) that it is readable.

His survey of literature starts with the Russian revolution and includes present day dictators. Kalder is also as funny as, well, Monty Python.

What Kalder does is look at not only what the writings reveal about the dictators, but also why people didn’t take the books seriously as warnings of things to come. He points out that some people should have known better. He also connects it to the thinking and control process, showing how the works did reflect the personality of each man (and they are all men). He also addresses the weird beliefs that make their way into the books – Hussain had strange ideas about bears.

The book is an entertaining journey into some really strange minds that produced some really bad literature. Luckily for the reader, Kalder read it for us.

review 2017-09-11 15:18
Another Book for History Class
Civil War Forts (Uhc) - Victor Brooks

This year we are studying the Civil War. We are looking at what led to the Civil War and the Battles. While I sat at the library waiting for my girls, I spied this book (and about 6 others) sitting near where I was and grabbed them up to see if they would be good for the lessons.

I started the one yesterday and finished it this morning. It is a fast read and very good information on the Forts that were battled over and why they were battled over and how the fight for it took place.

The front before the forts lists dates and the order that the battles took place. The first shot of the Civil War, by whom and where. First person to die in the Civil War and how that happened (an accident during a celebration).

The author also talks about how the different generals and officers knew each other and their connections and their feelings about this war.

On the whole, I really enjoyed this book and the information it contained. Definitely, recommend this book to others who homeschool or just want more information. This was found in the "Teen" Room at the library.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-07-31 06:24
Book review : queens of geek Jen Wilde
Queens of Geek - Jen Marie Wilde

July 26- 29

When BFFs Charlie, Taylor and Jamie go to SupaCon, they know it’s going to be a blast. What they don’t expect is for it to change their lives forever.

Charlie likes to stand out. SupaCon is her chance to show fans she’s over her public breakup with co-star, Reese Ryan. When Alyssa Huntington arrives as a surprise guest, it seems Charlie’s long-time crush on her isn’t as one-sided as she thought.

While Charlie dodges questions about her personal life, Taylor starts asking questions about her own.

Taylor likes to blend in. Her brain is wired differently, making her fear change. And there’s one thing in her life she knows will never change: her friendship with Jamie—no matter how much she may secretly want it to. But when she hears about the Queen Firestone SupaFan Contest, she starts to rethink her rules on playing it safe.

Review : I loved this book it was a perfect summer read for a geeky girl like me this book is about Charlie , Taylor and Jamie they are all going to Supacon cause there all geeky people Charlie she is a youtuber and actress and is promoting her film . Taylor who i really related to cause she has social anxiety . This book was really cute with moments of Jamie flirting with Taylor and taylor blushing right away I found so cute . Taylor and Jamie end up not being able to meet taylor's favorite author but Jamie tells Taylor about this contest but she doesn't want to enter cause of her anxiety until she meets Josie a girl with autism and Taylor decides to run . Charlie wants to avoid to asshole ex boyfriend and there is this girl she really likes who is also a youtuber they end up filming a colab and end up kissing and then they plan to have a date . Charlie's ex boyfriend ends up telling taylor the only way she's become a writer is if she sleeps with someone and he ends up punching Jamie this guy is an asshole . Charlie does this live action thing for her movie and Taylor and Jamie end up Joining in the maze and Taylor and Jamie kiss I was so happy for them but Taylor freaked out Jamie thought he was pressuring her but she wanted to kiss him . Charlie and Alyssa's kiss gets leaked and she's freaking out and Alyssa doesn't want to hide the relationship so Charlie makes a speech and her and Alyssa talk . Jamie and Taylor end up being able to go to the party and Taylor meets her favorite author this was such a cute book I loved it .
Quotes:
That's what we do. We walk a tightrope every day. Getting out the door is a tightrope. Going grocery shopping is a tightrope. Socializing is a tightrope. Things that most people consider to be normal, daily parts of life are the very things we fear and struggle with the most, and yet here we are, moving forward anyway. That's not weak.”

“My bottom lip starts to quiver, but I keep going. “I fight every day, and too many times it’s just not enough and the fear wins. I’m so fucking weak and everything is so fucking intense and sometimes I really hate it.” I gasp, covering my mouth with my hands as the tears pour out of me. I didn’t mean to say all that. I feel exposed. Tears fill her eyes, too. “Can I hug you?” I nod, unable to speak. She walks around the table and hugs me.”

review 2017-06-29 05:21
Hag-Seed
Hag-Seed - Margaret Atwood

I am a huge Margaret Atwood fan, so when I saw a new book with her name on it I did not even bother to read what it was about. Who cares? Margaret Atwood could write a software manual and I would read it. Maybe you feel more discerning than me, I'm ok with that. I've read at least half a dozen Atwood books by now, (with more on my to-read pile) including a crazy, ingenious, zombie story on Wattpad, and I have yet to be disappointed.

Hag-Seed continued that trend. Of course, Atwood tackles The Tempest, why not? She is certainly up to the task. I read some of this book (courtesy of NetGalley) and I also listened to the audiobook. I laughed out loud as Atwood weaves a tale of bizarre vengeance and unlikely heroes, which all works toward a strange and perfectly satisfying resolution.

This book is part of the Hogarth Shakespeare collection, which has Shakespeare's plays reimagined by today's celebrated writers, including Anne Tyler, Tracy Chevalier, and Jo Nesbø, among others. Several of these are already on my to-read pile; you should check them out as well.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-06-28 00:56
Book Review : Talking as fast as I can Lauren Graham
Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls (and Everything in Between) - Lauren Graham

June 26-27

In her first work of nonfiction, the beloved star of Gilmore Girls and Parenthood recounts her experiences on Gilmore Girls - the first and second times - and shares stories about life, love, and working in Hollywood. This collection of essays is written in the intimate, hilarious, and down-to-earth voice that made her novel, Someday, Someday, Maybe, a New York Times best seller.
"This book contains some stories from my life: the awkward growing up years, the confusing dating years, the fulfilling working years, and what it was like to be asked to play one of my favorite characters again. You probably think I'm talking about my incredible achievement as Dolly in Hello, Dolly! as a Langley High School junior, a performance my dad called 'you're so much taller than the other kids.' But no! I'm talking about Lorelai Gilmore, who, back in 2008, I wasn't sure I'd ever see again. Also included: tales of living on a houseboat, meeting guys at awards shows, and that time I was asked to be a butt model. A hint: all three made me seasick.

Review : I loved this audio cause I'm a big gilmore girls fan I love Lauren's writing and her audiobook was awesome I loved hearing about her and her getting onto Gilmore girls and her stories in acting and her family life . And it was interesting to hear about her life and I loved when she talked about Gilmore girls a year in the life I cried I highly recommend this book .

Quotes:
But life doesn’t often spell things out for you or give you what you want exactly when you want it, otherwise it wouldn’t be called life, it would be called vending machine.

“Because who wants to Fast Forward anyway? You might miss some of the good parts