logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: library-books
Load new posts () and activity
review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-06-15 00:39
Book review : The Hate U Give
The Hate U Give - Angie Thomas

June 4-9

Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed.

Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil's name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.

But what Starr does or does not say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life.

Review : This book was very powerful when at a party with her friend she runs into her old friend Khalil and when shots go off he brings her to his car then a cop stops him and ends up shooting Khalil in front of star and she is hurting and doesn't know what she should do she wants to speak out to help Khalil so she starts to speak she wants that cop to be arested but she knows it won't happen which is very fucked up I mean he killed him . There is also this big drug dealer who may try to go after star cause she snitched . Star goes to a fancy school and she is a different kind of person she has a boyfriend named Chris and I really love them together and she has two friends Maya and Hailey I hated Hailey she made these remarks and I wanted to punch her and when the news came out with all the Khalil stuff she felt bad for the cop when the cop killed Khalil . And when Hailey said he would of died anyway cause he was a drug dealer I wanted to punch her and star did . When it's announced that the cop won't get jail time Star freaks out and wants to take a stand and she does I really loved this book it gave a message that we all need to read this and speak out .
Quotes : “Sometimes you can do everything right and things will still go wrong. The key is to never stop doing right.”

At an early age I learned that people make mistakes, and you have to decide if their mistakes are bigger than your love for them.”

Brave doesn't mean you're not scared. It means you go on even though you're scared.”

Why does Chris always have to be lil'l to you ? I ask . He's not little . You better be talking about his height says Daddy , Amen , Uncle Carlos adds and they fist bump again.

That's the problem. We let people say stuff, and they say it so much that it becomes okay to them and normal for us. What's the point of having a voice if you're gonna be silent in those moments you shouldn't be?”

“Once upon a time there was a hazel-eyed boy with dimples. I called him Khalil. The world called him a thug.
He lived, but not nearly long enough, and for the rest of my life I'll remember how he died.
Fairy tale? No. But I'm not giving up on a better ending.”

“Once you've seen how broken someone is it's like seeing them naked—you can't look at them the same anymore.”

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-03-28 00:32
Book Review : History is all you left me Adam Silvera
History Is All You Left Me - Adam Silvera

March 13-15

When Griffin’s first love and ex-boyfriend, Theo, dies in a drowning accident, his universe implodes. Even though Theo had moved to California for college and started seeing Jackson, Griffin never doubted Theo would come back to him when the time was right. But now, the future he’s been imagining for himself has gone far off course.

To make things worse, the only person who truly understands his heartache is Jackson. But no matter how much they open up to each other, Griffin’s downward spiral continues. He’s losing himself in his obsessive compulsions and destructive choices, and the secrets he’s been keeping are tearing him apart.

If Griffin is ever to rebuild his future, he must first confront his history, every last heartbreaking piece in the puzzle of his life.

Review : I loved this book it made me cry I loved these characters . Giffin's ex boyfriend died and he's having trouble dealing with it I loved how it was talked in the past and present.Griffin starts chatting with Jackson there's boyfriend Griffin never liked Jackson cause he was still in love with Theo but he broke up with Theo cause he wanted Theo to enjoy college and then Theo meets Jackson and he loves them both which is kinda fucked up cause Theo was mostly stringing Griffin along . Griffin ends of going to california with Jackson and they end up sleeping together . Jackson tells Griffin he didnt save Theo and he went for a lifeguard and Griffin gets mad and leaves . Griffin decides to talk to wade who was theo's best friend and his friend who he ended up sleeping with multiple times they decided to just be friends . Jackson visits again and him and Griffin talk Wade is very jealous . I feel like wade and Griffin will get together but griffin had to let Theo go I loved this book very emotional .
Quotes:
Time doesn’t heal all wounds. We both know that’s bullshit; it comes from people who have nothing comforting or original to say.”

People are complicated puzzles, always trying to piece together a complete picture, but sometimes we get it wrong and sometimes we’re left unfinished. Sometimes that’s for the best. Some pieces can’t be forced into a puzzle, or at least they shouldn’t be, because they won’t make sense.”

“History is nothing. It can be recycled or thrown away completely. It isn’t this sacred treasure chest I mistook it to be. We were something, but history isn’t enough to keep something alive forever.”

Griffin . Hey
No way
I freeze at the sound of my dad's voice He's right behind us.
I honestly think Id rather be caught masterbating .
wade laughs a little to himself probably. because this is going to be painfully humiliating .

I’ll never understand how time can make a moment feel as close as yesterday and as far as years.”

“But hey, if there’s one bright side to your dying, it’s that you aren’t around to tell me things I don’t like hearing. I’m sorry. That was a dickhead thing to say. I need a condom for my  mouth.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-03-15 00:31
Book review : The art of being normal lisa willimanson
The Art of Being Normal: A Novel - Lisa Williamson

January 22- March 10

David Piper has always been an outsider. His parents think he's gay. The school bully thinks he’s a freak. Only his two best friends know the real truth: David wants to be a girl.

On the first day at his new school Leo Denton has one goal: to be invisible. Attracting the attention of the most beautiful girl in his class is definitely not part of that plan. When Leo stands up for David in a fight, an unlikely friendship forms. But things are about to get messy. Because at Eden Park School secrets have a funny habit of not staying secret for long

Review : I loved this book this is about David and Leo both very different but the same . David has always been different his parents think he's gay but he's not he wants to be a girl . Leo is a new kid at school who doesn't like making friends he's marked right away as a troubled kid he meets Alisha a girl who sees him not for his bad boy act . One day David gets bullied bad by this one asshole guy and Leo helps him out and punches the guy . Leo and David start talking and Leo starts tutoring David in math . When David is alone he dresses in girl clothing David wants to be a girl to be trans but he has to tell his parents . Leo is has started dating Alisha and he's happy but then Leo tells Alisha his secret . David decides to visit Leo since he hasn't been showing up to school and David tells Leo that he isn't gay that he wants to be a girl And Leo tells David he's trans I totally didn't see that coming but there were signs and David asks if he will come back to school and he eventually does but some bitch mean girl finds out Leo is trans .
The reason Leo left his old school was he was attacked by some classmates and tied to a tree fucking terrible .
Leo finds out who his father is and he wants to go meet him and David is going with him and David decides to go in girl clothing they go drinking and get really drunk and they find Leo's dad and he was a fucking asshole . Leo's aunt explains that Leo's dad ditched them before he was even born . David finally comes out to his family and tells them about him wanting to be a girl . David's friends throw this winter party that isn't part of the school David and Leo dance it was cute I loved this book and the characters .
Quotes :
Normal is such a stupid word what does it even mean

Look it's beautiful out. Are you seriously telling me you'd prefer to lie on the sofa in the dark all day correct .

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-02-26 22:09
Book review : The sun is also a star Nicola yoon SPOILERS
The Sun Is Also a Star - Nicola Yoon

January 10- Febuary 22

Natasha: I’m a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I’m definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won’t be my story.

Daniel: I’ve always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents’ high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store—for both of us.

The Universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true?

Review : This book was beautiful I loved Everything , Everything and I loved this book
Natasha's family is being deported and Natasha's working her hardest to have that not happen Daniel is a poet his family wants him to go to Harvard and be a doctor they both meet and talk and spend some time with each other I love Daniel he's caring a good poet and he cares for Natasha . They end up making out Natasha meets Daniel's family . Daniel's brother is a fucking asshole he treats Daniel like crap . Natasha and Daniel part way they fight cause Natasha tells him that she's being deported but Natasha wants to see Daniel she finds a lawer who might be able to help . She gets Daniel's number after Daniel and his brother got in a fist fight they meet back up go up to a roof and kiss and Daniel goes to his college interview which turns out is the same Lawer and he couldn't stop her deportation they have to leave Daniel goes to her house with her .Years pass they grow apart until they meet again on a plane I loved this book so much one of my new favorites .

Quotes :
Natasha is different . She believes in determinism ---- cause and effect . One action leads to another leads to another . Your actions determine your fate .
In this way she's not unlike Daniel's dad .
Daniel lives in the nebulous space in between . Maybe he wasn't meant to meet Natasha today. Maybe it was random chance after all .
But.
Once they met , the rest of it , the love between them , was inevitable

“Maybe part of falling in love with someone else is also falling in love with yourself.”

“Stars are important," I say, laughing.

"Sure, but why not more poems about the sun? The sun is also a star, and it's our most important one. That alone should be worth a poem or two.”

“We have big, beautiful brains. We invent things that fly. Fly. We write poetry. You probably hate poetry, but it’s hard to argue with ‘Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate’ in terms of sheer beauty. We are capable of big lives. A big history. Why settle? Why choose the practical thing, the mundane thing? We are born to dream and make the things we dream about.”

Observable Fact: I don't believe in magic.
Observable Fact: We are magic.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-01-26 07:32
Book Review : If I was your girl by Meridith russo
If I Was Your Girl - Meredith Russo

January 16- 22

Amanda Hardy is the new girl in school in Lambertville, Tennessee. Like any other girl, all she wants is to make friends and fit in. But Amanda is keeping a secret. There’s a reason why she transferred schools for her senior year, and why she’s determined not to get too close to anyone.

And then she meets Grant Everett. Grant is unlike anyone she’s ever met—open, honest, kind—and Amanda can’t help but start to let him into her life. As they spend more time together, she finds herself yearning to share with Grant everything about herself…including her past. But she’s terrified that once she tells Grant the truth, he won't be able to see past it.

Because the secret that Amanda’s been keeping? It’s that she used to be Andrew

Review : This book was beautiful . This book is about a trans girl name Amanda and she's going to a new school and moving in with her dad . At school she meets a lot of new people . Bee , Grant , and a group of girls who save Amanda from heat stroke . Her father is having trouble coming to terms with Amanda being trans. Amanda ends up going to a party with her friends and Grant and Amanda end up dancing Grant ends up taking her to a quiet place they go for a swim and they kissing. Amanda avoids Grant until he finds her and she agrees to go out with him . Amanda knows she has to tell Grant that she's trans but she can't . I loved the flashbacks before she was where she is now . Amanda tried to kill herself this book was very deep and beautiful. Amanda has been through a lot she starts dating Grant . And hanging out with friends and her dad and her aren't still getting a long . she finds out one of her friends is gay she dated Bee . Amanda finds out that Grant is poor and he works a lot he brings her home to his family which went well . Amanda's friend comes for a visit she's trans and Amanda doesn't want her other friends to meet her . Amanda writes a letter to tell grant the truth but he burns the letter . Grant asks her to homecoming so Amanda goes with her friends and runs into Bee who is drunk and comes onto Amanda . Amanda wins homecoming queen and Bee tells everyone she's trans oh my god and she runs out and Grant catches her and asks if its a joke and then she leaves but gets attacked by parker but her friends find her and Chole points a gun to his head which was kinda badass . Amanda's father hits grant cause he thought it was grant so she ends up going home to her mom and her dad shows up for thanksgiving and her and him talk and she wants to go live with him again so she goes back which was brave . Her and Grant talk this book was beautiful and I can't wait to read more works by this author .
Quotes
You can have anything,” she said, “once you admit you deserve it.”

I know it hurts. I know it hurts so bad you can barely breathe sometimes. I know because I’ve been there. Please don’t leave us. I promise life can be good, and we need you too much.”

Maybe secrets were part of life; maybe everyone had something they were lying to themselves about, or something they were hiding.
I looked up at the cross again and wondered if I was supposed to hear this particular sermon at this particular moment for a reason. I decided that the people who had said God didn’t love me, who said I didn’t have a place on Earth—they were wrong. God wanted me to live, and this was the only way I knew how to survive, so this was what God wanted. This was what I wanted. I had chosen to live, and it seemed like, finally, I was doing just that.”

“I wondered if joy could ever be felt by itself without being tainted with fear and confusion, or if some level of misery was a universal constant, like the speed of light.”

For as long as I could remember, I had been apologizing for existing, for trying to be who I was, to live the life I was meant to lead.”