logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: love-stuff
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-07-23 00:09
Follow me down to the river...
Follow Me Down: A Novel - Sherri L. Smith

Book Title:  Follow Me Down

Author:  Sherri Smith

Series:  Stand-Alone

Genre:  Mystery

Setting:  Wayoata, North Dakota

Source:  Kindle eBook (Library)

(this link will take you to my tumblr post with video)

Follow Me Down by The Pretty Reckless  --I kind of think this song with the same name as the book works perfectly, with the screwed up relationships going on in this book, it's a bit eerie.  ♫

That ending had me like…

My Thoughts

Follow Me Down kept me guessing all the way to the end, I thought, for sure, I knew who it was, and then I flip-flopped…again and again.  Right up to that ending.  I believe, that's what makes for a good murder mystery.  I know it does for me.  I haven't been reading this genre for long, but it's one I plan to read more of in the future.

----------------------------------------------------------

The writing is little distracting at times, but the mystery and atmosphere of Wayota, ND (made-up place, I believe) more than makes up for it.  Although, my biggest issue is with the blatant OTC drug abuse going on with the MC and the blasé way it was addressed.   That could have been dealt with differently or omitted completely.

Plot:  4.7/5

Main Characters:  4.2/5

Secondary Characters:  4.5/5

The Feels:  4.5/5

Addictiveness:  4.5/5

Flow (Writing Style):  4/5

Backdrop (World Building):  5/5

Book Cover:  4/5

Ending:  5/5  Cliffhanger:  Nope.

Total: 4.3/5 STARS

Will I read more from this Author?  I would!

review 2017-07-22 19:55
Watch out...roses have thorns.
A Court of Thorns and Roses - Sarah J. Maas

Book Title:  A Court of Thorns and Roses

Author:  Sarah J Maas

Narration:  Jennifer Ikeda

Series:  A Court of Thorns and Roses #1

Genre:  High Fantasy, Fae, Romance

Setting:  Prythian Spring Court, Land of Fae

Source:  Audiobook (RB Digital)

(this link will take you to my tumblr post with video)

Preserved Roses by Blackbriar  --If you've read ACOTAR then watch it…and you will see…if not…then still watch it, because it has the right feel. ♫

My Thoughts

I need to have a clear head when I start a fantasy series, to really be able to immerse myself within it.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do that while listening to this.  I just had too much on my mind.  That being said, I feel like this has the makings of  a 5 star read (even the narration was awesomely done) as evidenced by all the 5 star ratings out there for ACOTAR.    If I could change one thing about this it would be to make it a little shorter in length.  Long books always seem so daunting to me, that I go into them feeling less than excited as it is.

Essentially, ACOTAR is highly imaginative start to what might be a very appealing series.  The Beauty and the Beast aspect is only a backdrop to the story overall, because it really is so much deeper than that.

Plot:  4.5/5

Flow (Writing Style):  4.3/5

Backdrop (World Building):  4.3/5

Book Cover:  5/5

Narration:  5/5

Ending:  5/5  Cliffhanger:  to be continued…

Total:  4.3/5

Will I continue this series?  Yes, and hopefully I'm able to fully immerse myself in it when I do.

review 2017-07-20 20:22
Breakup support is really just friends supporting one another...
The Breakup Support Group - Cheyanne Young

Book Title:  The Breakup Support Group

Author:  Cheyanne Young

Series:  Stand-Alone

Genre:  YA, Realistic Fiction

Setting:  Texas

Source:  eBook (Hoopla)

(this link will take you to my tumblr post with video)

I Wanna Dance With Somebody the Glee Version  --A high school version of a song, for a high school story…and this song feels like it's about finding someone new to "dance with" after a breakup.♫

2.8/5 STARS

C-

My Thoughts

This is a super cute read for a preteen girl or any girl looking to get over being dumped by some boy.  Did I feel this was something that might occur or happen in real life, probably not…but the life lessons TBSG is trying to impart are present and for the most part, solid.

I read this mostly because of reading challenge I'm doing where I needed Character names, and it really scored on that front for me.  With both a I name for female with Isla Rush and U Name for Male with Emory Underwood.  Sometimes, reading challenges get me into some fairly awful books and this one wasn't one of those…it was an easy breezy read.

Plot: 3.8/5

Theme or Tone:  3/5

Flow (Writing Style):  3/5

Backdrop (World Building):  3/5

Book Cover:  4/5

Ending:  2/5  Cliffhanger:  Nope.

Will I read more from this Author?  I don't think so, unless it turns out to be just what I need for a reading challenge.

review 2017-07-20 18:22
Rebound sort of felt like a rebound book from the love I had for Boomerang...hoping Bounce is what I'm really looking for.
Rebound: A Boomerang Novel - Noelle August

Genre:  New Adult, Contemporary Romance

Setting:  California

Source:  Audiobook (Hoopla)

(this link will take you to my tumblr post with video)

♫Be My Forever by Christina Perri feat. Ed Sheeran  --the lyric video goes with the book cover and with the setting...so yeah, I was under inspired on this book for a theme song.♫

3.8/5 STARS

B

My Thoughts

I loved the first book in this series, Boomerang…I think I loved it so much because I adored Mia.  I didn't really care for Allison, though…So, I was reluctant to read this because of how I felt about her, I just didn't think I could relate to her as a heroine.   It turns out that Adam's character mostly made up for what Allison was lacking.  So...I did like them, I just didn't love them.  I really didn't understand Allison's relationship with her dad either.

While the writing is still stellar in this second installment, the characters were only so-so in capturing my attention, there story was lacking something that Mia and Ethan had in Boomerang.  I'm hoping to recapture with Bounce, the next book in the series.

Plot:  4/5

Flow (Writing Style):  5/5

Backdrop (World Building):  5/5

Originality:  4/5

Narration:  4.5/5

Ending:  4/5  Cliffhanger:  Nope.

Will I continue this series?  Yes!

review 2017-07-19 15:01

Genre:  Older YA, Steampunk, Dark Fantasy

Setting: Itanya

Source:  Kindle eBook

(this link will take you to my tumblr post with video)

Meet Me On the Battlefield by Svrcina   --A poignant, slow song about going into war.  It really has the right feel for Wen, Melik and Bo and their battles fought.♫

4.5/5 STARS

A-

My Thoughts

A sweet, uplifting story set in a bleak and sorrowful world.  The sequel to Of Metal and Wishes is much more action-packed and even more exquisitely romantic.  I loved it in spite of the main character's fickleness towards the two males in her life. The turmoil of their world, and the gutsy determination of the characters, more than overshadow the vexatious love triangle going on.   Making this second book in this duology even more likable than the first.

Plot:  4.5/5

Main Characters:  4.3/5

Secondary Characters:  4.5/5

The Feels:  4/5

Addictiveness:  4/5

Flow (Writing Style):  5/5

Backdrop (World Building):  4.5/5

Book Cover:  5/5

Ending:  5/5  Cliffhanger:  Nope.

Will I read more from this Author?  Of course…