logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: love-stuff
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-05-25 16:53
3 Out Of 5 "Colonized Mars" STARS
Red Rising - Pierce Brown,Tim Gerard Reynolds

Red Rising

Pierce Brown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Darrow is a Red, a member of the lowest caste in the color-coded society of the future. Like his fellow Reds, he works all day, believing that he and his people are making the surface of Mars livable for future generations.

Yet he spends his life willingly, knowing that his blood and sweat will one day result in a better world for his children.

But Darrow and his kind have been betrayed. Soon he discovers that humanity already reached the surface generations ago. Vast cities and sprawling parks spread across the planet. Darrow—and Reds like him—are nothing more than slaves to a decadent ruling class.

Inspired by a longing for justice, and driven by the memory of lost love, Darrow sacrifices everything to infiltrate the legendary Institute, a proving ground for the dominant Gold caste, where the next generation of humanity's overlords struggle for power. He will be forced to compete for his life and the very future of civilization against the best and most brutal of Society's ruling class. There, he will stop at nothing to bring down his enemies... even if it means he has to become one of them to do so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I took forever to finish this, the audio was difficult to understand…and when I remembered that I had actually purchased this in eBook format, I started reading while listening.  Which helped, but still, it was really difficult for me to stay in the story.  For me Red Rising is plagued with too many characters, plot lines I couldn't always follow and a difficult to discern accent.

This had the potential to be epic, and yet I only felt a smattering of that epic-ness.  The last two-thirds of the book involves some sort competition that I didn't really comprehend why they were doing it in the first place…like what was the point of it?  I believe, if I continue this series, I need to actually read the book and skip the audio.

3STARS - GRADE=C

Theme or Tone~ 3.5/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 1.5/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 3/5

Originality~ 3.5/5

Ending~ 3/5 Cliffhanger~ "to be continued"

Book Cover~ Meh…

Narration~  2.5 -Gerard Reynolds…I really didn't like this narration.

Series~ Red Rising #1

White Trash Zombie Unchained - Diana Rowland

White Trash Zombie Unchained

Diana Rowland

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Angel Crawford has finally pulled herself together (literally!) after her disastrous dismemberment on Mardi Gras. She’s putting the pieces of her life back in order and is ready to tackle whatever the future holds.

Too bad the future is a nasty bitch. There’s a new kind of zombie in town: mindless shamblers, infectious and ravenous.

With the threat of a full-blown shambler pandemic looming, and a loved one stricken, Angel and the “real” zombies scramble to find a cure. Yet when Angel uncovers the true reason the plague is spreading so quickly, she adds “no-holds-barred revenge” to her to-do list.

Angel is busting her ass dealing with shambling hordes, zombie gators, government jerks, and way too many mosquitos, but this white trash chick ain’t giving up.

Good thing, since the fate of the world is resting on her undead shoulders.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm thinking this could be the conclusion of the series…if it is, I'm fine with that it tidied everything and everyone up well.  I will miss it, though.  Angel has really grown on me.  I do believe she is my favorite zombie. Her and Liv (iZombie) are running neck and neck.

Somebody finally listened to me griping about the covers because this one is perfect.  This book (the whole series, actually) is a guilty pleasure at it's best…overtly cheesy at times, but sometimes cheesy is okay, at least when you really come to know and love the characters in a story, it can be.

4.5STARS - GRADE=A-

Theme or Tone~ 5/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 4.2/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4.5/5

Originality~ 5/5

Ending~ 5/5  Cliffhanger~ Nope…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ Hands down the best cover of the series.

Narration~ 4.5 -As always Allison McLemore is the voice of Angel Crawford

Atheists Who Kneel and Pray - Tarryn Fisher

Atheists Who Kneel and Pray

Tarryn Fisher

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yara Phillips is a wandering muse.

She dates men who need her but always moves on to something new, never staying in one place for very long.

David Lisey is in need of a muse.

A talented musician lacking lyrical inspiration. When he first sees her, he knows he's found what he's been looking for.

Yara believes she can give David exactly what he needs to reach his full potential:

A broken heart.

David’s religion is love.

Yara’s religion is heartache.

Neither is willing to surrender, but religion always requires sacrifice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really like Tarryn Fisher, l like how she makes her stories unlike any others out there.  Atheists Who Kneel and Pray is a story about a musician and his muse…a story about breaking hearts and finding a way to mend them…an unflinching look into jealousy and commitment issues…and, how just one life-changing event can shape us into who we are…until we break free.  Yara has issues, and I found her difficult to like as a character, yet she ultimately found her way under my skin and I needed to see her broken heart mended...

4.3STARS - GRADE=A-

Theme or Tone~ 4.5/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 4.2/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 5/5

Originality~ 5/5

Ending~ 5/5 Cliffhanger~ Nope.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ It's cool…it fits the story.

Setting~ Seattle, London and Paris

Source~ Own Kindle eBook

review 2018-05-18 17:18
4 Out of 5 "I needed more" STARS
Midnight at the Electric - Jodi Lynn Anderson

Midnight at the Electric

Jodi Lynn Anderson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kansas, 2065 Adri has been handpicked to live on Mars. But weeks before Launch, she discovers the journal of a girl who lived in her house over a hundred years ago and is immediately drawn into the mystery surrounding her fate. While Adri knows she must focus on the mission ahead, she becomes captivated by a life that’s been lost in time…and how it might be inextricably tied to her own.

Oklahoma, 1934 Amidst the fear and uncertainty of the Dust Bowl, Catherine longs for the immortality promised by a professor at a traveling show called The Electric. But as her family’s situation becomes more dire-- and the suffocating dust threatens her sister’s life -- Catherine must find the courage to sacrifice everything she loves in order to save the one person she loves most.

England, 1919 In the recovery following World War One, Lenore tries to come to terms with her grief for her brother, a fallen British soldier and plans to sail to America in pursuit of a childhood friend. But even if she makes it that far, will her friend be the person she remembers, and the one who can bring her back to herself?

While their stories span thousands of miles and multiple generations, Lenore, Catherine, and Adri’s fates are entwined in ways both heartbreaking and hopeful. In beloved author Jodi Lynn Anderson’s signature haunting, lyrical prose, human connections spark spellbindingly to life, and a bright light shines on the small but crucial moments that determine one’s fate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This book is not what the synopsis leads you to believe…It's a story about a turtle and how he has touched different lives through the passage of many years…its…mystifying yet enchanting…and nonetheless, it still needed something more. I think it could have been perfect if it was just a little bit longer.  Which is not how I usually feel about a book.  What I got from this was perfect…I just wanted a little more of that...

4STARS - GRADE=B+

Theme or Tone~ 4.2/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 4.5/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4.5/5

Originality~ 5/5

Ending~ 3.8/5 Cliffhanger~ ???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ The cover and the synopsis of this book lead you to believe it's something else.

Narration~ 5 -Amazingly done by all three narrators… Jorjeana Marie, Bailey Carr & Fiona Hardingham.

Setting~ Kansas mostly…and England--past and future

Source~ Audiobook (Scribd)

review 2018-05-16 17:59
4.3 Out Of 5 STARS for To Kill A Kingdom by Alexandra Christo
To Kill a Kingdom - Alexandra Christo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Princess Lira is siren royalty and the most lethal of them all. With the hearts of seventeen princes in her collection, she is revered across the sea. Until a twist of fate forces her to kill one of her own. To punish her daughter, the Sea Queen transforms Lira into the one thing they loathe most--a human. Robbed of her song, Lira has until the winter solstice to deliver Prince Elian’s heart to the Sea Queen and or remain a human forever.

The ocean is the only place Prince Elian calls home, even though he is heir to the most powerful kingdom in the world. Hunting sirens are more than an unsavory hobby--it’s his calling. When he rescues a drowning woman in the ocean, she’s more than what she appears. She promises to help him find the key to destroying all of the siren kind for good--But can he trust her? And just how many deals will Elian have to barter to eliminate mankind’s greatest enemy?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A darkish Little Mermaid retelling…what more do you need to say?

Narration for this was spot-on.  Stephanie Willis sultry voice was fantastic and she evoked the darkness that is Lira beautifully so.   I absolutely loved her POV.  Jacob York is satisfactory for the level-headed Elian.  My only issue is I wasn't always able to stay in this while listening.  I think it was mostly during Elian's POV…I easily forgot that I was supposed to be paying attention. (((This may have been influenced by my free-cell addiction)))

4.3STARS - GRADE=A-

Theme or Tone~ 4/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 4/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 5/5

Originality~ 4/5

Ending~ 4.3/5 Cliffhanger~ Nope.

Book Cover~ Fabulous

Narration~ 5☆ -Stephanie Willis & Jacob York were both fantastic.

Setting~ Sea Kingdom of Keto