logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: love-stuff
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-08-13 21:38
2.8 Out Of 5 "what the what and who the who" STARS
Like Never and Always - Ann Aguirre

Like Never and Always

Ann Aguirre

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a hot summer night, Liv, Morgan, Clay, and Nathan are on the way home from a party in Clay's convertible. Best friends dating brothers? It doesn't get better than that. But the joyride ends in sudden impact, a screech of brakes, and shattering glass. On that lonely country road, four lives change forever.

Liv wakes in the hospital. At first, she's confused when they call her Morgan, but she assumes it's a case of mistaken identity. Yet when the bandages come off, it's not her face in the mirror anymore. It's Morgan's.

Morgan always seemed to have a perfect life. But as Liv tries to fit herself into Morgan's world, she discovers endlessly disturbing secrets of the criminal and murderous variety and a dark task to finish...if she doesn't lose her mind first.

Forced to confront the disturbing truths that Morgan kept hidden in life, Liv must navigate a world of long-buried murder, a dangerous love affair—and a romance that feels like a betrayal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The cover is brilliant, and the blurb for it seems like a fantastic idea, but the execution…was off.  I wanted this perfect explanation for what was going on, even if it was something that dipped into the supernatural, but it just kind of fizzled. Also, sometimes the odd love triangle this had going on felt seriously awkward.  While it had its suspenseful moments, and the characters were mostly likable (especially Clay), the story ultimately left me confused and let down.  There was this tidbit of a plot twist thrown in at the end of the story that just leaves you feeling like…wtf was that all about?

2.8STARS - GRADE=C-

Backdrop (World Building)~ 3.5/5

Originality~ 3.5/5

Ending~2.5/5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ Very Cool…way cooler than the story.

Narration~4.5 for Emily Bauer, her pleasant voice may have influenced the overall rating of this book.

Setting~ Renton (not sure of the spelling because I only had audio version)

review 2018-08-13 20:26
4 Out Of 5 "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" STARS
Alex, Approximately - Jenn Bennett

Alex, Approximately

Jenn Bennett

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The one guy Bailey Rydell can’t stand is actually the boy of her dreams—she just doesn’t know it yet.

Classic movie fan Bailey “Mink” Rydell has spent months crushing on a witty film geek she only knows online as Alex. Two coasts separate the teens until Bailey moves in with her dad, who lives in the same California surfing town as her online crush.

Faced with doubts (what if he’s a creep in real life—or worse?), Bailey doesn’t tell Alex she’s moved to his hometown. Or that she’s landed a job at the local tourist-trap museum. Or that she’s being heckled daily by the irritatingly hot museum security guard, Porter Roth—a.k.a. her new archnemesis. But life is a whole lot messier than the movies, especially when Bailey discovers that tricky fine line between hate, love, and whatever it is she’s starting to feel for Porter.

And as the summer months go by, Bailey must choose whether to cling to a dreamy online fantasy in Alex or take a risk on an imperfect reality with Porter. The choice is both simpler and more complicated than she realizes because Porter Roth is hiding a secret of his own: Porter is Alex…Approximately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was worried, despite the multitude of glowing reviews that I would find this annoying and juvenile, but it was actually quite good.   It might have felt like it was even going in that direction, early on.  But it soon became a story of substance.  After reading the blurb above, it comes off as being a story about IM's between two people, but that’s really only a small portion of the story.  Overall, the story has a lot more to offer than that and it was a really sweet and worthwhile listening experience.

4STARS - GRADE=B+

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4.5/5

Originality~ 4/5

Ending~ 3.8/5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ It's Okay…but it doesn't represent the story.

Narration~ Amy Melissa Bentley

Setting~ Coronado Cove, California

review 2018-08-10 16:41
3.7 Out Of 5 "Untamable Demdji" STARS
Hero at the Fall - Alwyn Hamilton

Hero At The Fall

Alwyn Hamilton

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When gun slinging Amani Al'Hiza escaped her dead-end town, she never imagined she'd join a revolution, let alone lead one. But after the bloodthirsty Sultan of Miraji imprisoned the Rebel Prince Ahmed in the mythical city of Eremot, she doesn't have a choice. Armed with only her revolver, her wits, and her untamable Demdji powers, Amani must rally her skeleton crew of rebels for a rescue mission through the unforgiving desert to a place that, according to maps, doesn't exist. As she watches those she loves most lay their lives on the line against ghouls and enemy soldiers, Amani questions whether she can be the leader they need or if she is leading them all to their deaths.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have struggled with each book in the Rebel of the Sands Trilogy when I first start them, there is a lot of characters to keep straight and the story is really complex, but I have always managed to get "with" the story early on…at least with the first two books.  This third book…not so much.  It has too many small stories within the main story itself, to keep it all straight.  I also believe it could have benefitted from a list of characters, I have just learned that the book does have a list…unfortunately, the audio does not.

Overall, I'm glad I finally managed to listen to this final book, and I think I it was satisfying ending to the series, at least once it got to the actual story.  I would have liked it to be a tad shorter, without all those other mini stories.  I still love the characters, Amani and Jinn and lots of others who have joined the rebellion along the way.  They are what makes this story so memorable.

☆3.7☆STARS - GRADE=B

Theme or Tone~ 4/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 2.8/5

Backdrop (World-Building)~ 3/5

Originality~ 4.5/5

Ending~ 4/5 Cliffhanger~ Nope.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ This one is cool…I like it. The actual cover for the audio version is not so cool.

Narration~ Soneela Nankani, she's perfect for the voice of Amani.

Series~ Rebel of the Sands #3

Setting~ Miraji Desert

review 2018-07-29 16:08
5 Out Of 5 "hacker-if-ic" STARS
This Mortal Coil - Emily Suvada

This Mortal Coil

Emily Suvada

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In this gripping debut novel, seventeen-year-old Cat must use her gene-hacking skills to decode her late father’s message concealing a vaccine to a horrifying plague.

Catarina Agatta is a hacker. She can cripple mainframes and crash through firewalls, but that’s not what makes her special. In Cat’s world, people are implanted with technology to recode their DNA, allowing them to change their bodies in any way they want. And Cat happens to be a gene-hacking genius.

That’s no surprise since Cat’s father is Dr. Lachlan Agatta, a legendary geneticist who may be the last hope for defeating a plague that has brought humanity to the brink of extinction. But during the outbreak, Lachlan was kidnapped by a shadowy organization called Cartaxus, leaving Cat to survive the last two years on her own.

When a Cartaxus soldier, Cole, arrives with news that her father has been killed, Cat’s instincts tell her it’s just another Cartaxus lie. But Cole also brings a message: before Lachlan died, he managed to create a vaccine, and Cole needs Cat’s help to release it and save the human race.

Now Cat must decide who she can trust: The soldier with secrets of his own? The father who made her promise to hide from Cartaxus at all costs? In a world where nature itself can be rewritten, how much can she even trust herself?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This book is amazing, one of the best dystopian's I've read in a while and absolutely a new favorite.  For a book involving gene hacking, splicing, decoding and lots of technical terms and such this is completely comprehensible and seriously compelling.  It also depicts a plaque virus with walking dead-like creatures that will explode and then infect anyone in a certain radius, plus some crazy plot twists that will blow your mind.  This book is pure genius.  There is also some romance…but it is done well and does not dominate the story, at least in my opinion, but I like some romance.  Book #2, This Cruel Design, comes out at the end of October.  I totally recommend!

5STARS - GRADE=A+

Theme or Tone~ 5/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 5/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 5/5

Originality~ 5/5

Ending~ 5/5 Cliffhanger~ "to be continued"

Book Cover~ I Love It!

Narration~ 5 for Skye Bennett, I really liked her voice, she made this a breeze to listen to.

Series~ This Mortal Coil #1

Setting~ A Futuristic United States & some in Canada

review 2018-07-28 19:23
3 Out Of 5 "I only read this so I could know what all the fuss is about" STARS
We Were Liars - E. Lockhart

We Were Liars

E Lockhart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A beautiful and distinguished family.

A private island.

A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.

A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.

A revolution. An accident. A secret.

Lies upon lies.

True love.

The truth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you go into this completely blind then it's possible you could have your mind blown by this story…maybe…and if you want to do that than you should stop reading this, or any other review for it.  Not that I really give anything away.  But, if you're part of a large number of people who've already read this or if you've already read some reviews like I had before I listened to this, then read on.

I knew it had a twist, so when it came…I was like, oh, so that's where this is going, I've already been there and done that.  Ultimately, this is really a story of some rich, somewhat bratty, teens who try to fix a situation with drastic results.  Overall there is some substance to the story, I even felt some real emotions.  So if you're on the fence about reading this, I would say give it a try, it's a very quick read or listen and the audio for it is quite decently done.  At least then, like me, you'll know what all the fuss is about.

3STARS - GRADE=C

Flow (Writing Style)~ 3/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 3.5/5

Ending~ 3/5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ Kind of wishy washy…

Narration~ 4 for Ariande Meyers