logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: love
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-10-22 22:24
Cute Holiday Romance
Christmas at Two Love Lane - Kieran Kramer

Macy Frost and her two friends run a successful match-making service in Charleston. When Yankee Deacon Banks comes in looking for just brief dates to appease his aunt, Macy is determined she can find him a love match. The more time Deacon spends with Macy, the more he believe she can.

This is another cute contemporary here for the holiday season with a hope of holiday magic. This was a sweet read, playing out like the holiday romance movies that run from Thanksgiving to New Year’s. I liked the opposites attract, Southern Belle meets Yankee business man angle in this. Both characters interacted very well with each other. I highly recommend.

**I voluntarily read and reviewed this book

review 2017-10-22 17:21
Love and Gravity by Samantha Sotto
Love and Gravity: A Novel - Samantha Sotto

Andrea Louviere is seven years old the first time he appears. While she’s alone in her bedroom, practicing her beloved cello, the light shivers and a crack forms in the wall. Through the crack, she sees a candle, a window, a desk—and a boy. Though no sound travels through the wall, the boy clearly sees Andrea, too. And then, just as quickly as it opened, the crack closes, and he vanishes.

Over the years, summoning the bright, magnetic boy becomes something of an obsession for Andrea. Then, on her seventeenth birthday, she receives a three-hundred-year-old love letter from Isaac Newton. Andrea knows that Isaac will change the world with his groundbreaking discoveries; the letter tells Andrea that she will change him.

As Isaac’s letters intensify in passion and intimacy, Andrea grows determined to follow his clues to their shared destiny—despite a burgeoning romance in the present. Only when she discovers the way into Isaac’s time does Andrea realize that she faces a heartbreaking decision: between what was . . . and what might be.

*********

I had hoped that this book would enthrall me as much as The Time Traveler's Wife did, unfortunately, I just couldn't find the book to be as good. I don't read much romance, but this time-travel romance between a modern girl and Isaac Newton caught my attention and as I just love time-travel stories did I feel the need to read this book. Also, the cover is absolutely stunning!

As for the story, it has its ups and downs, it started off interesting, but somewhere around halfway through did I find myself losing interest in the story. The story started to drag on with the main characters Andrea and Isaac just pining after each other. I just wanted them to meet (not really a spoiler) since it's apparently clear when reading the first chapter, what would happen. And, it was sometimes just so saccharine that I felt like I was getting an overdose of sweetness. I wanted more passion, more drama, more surprises and stronger characters. It was a promising book that just failed to live up to my expectations. There is also a triangle drama in the story as Andrea from that she was young had a guy friend called Nate that she also loved. Yes, sir, she loved them both and could not decide which one to choose. Thankfully, I quite liked Nate, he was a nice solid guy that steadfastly stood by her side.

Love and Gravity were a book that in the end felt too much like a young adult novel that tries to be deep, but in the end, fails. The story could have been better if Andrea and Isaac's love-story had not been so predictable, saccharine and to be honest boring. I would have loved to have read more about Isaac Newton, the man, the scientist. But, all one gets is his pining after Andrea. It gets too much in the end. Also, the happily ever after ending was almost too much for me. So, no this was not a book for me.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!
review 2017-10-22 02:37
The Girl With All the Gifts
The Girl with All the Gifts - M.R. Carey

WOA!  WOW!

What a great book to read in one sitting.

review 2017-10-21 17:39
Your One True Love (The Bennett Family) by Layla Hagen
Your One True Love - Layla Hagen

Friendship brought them together. Youth tore them apart. Can distance and time allow them a second chance to get it right? Daniel and Caroline were the definition of young love. Immature, head over heels and heading toward heartache. The first heartbreak was a memory that stuck. Years later and a tad wiser, fate brings them back together, but will the pain of the past and the secrets of the present be the death nail for their happily ever after? There's a sadness to this romance, more than any of the others. An unbearable underlying pain that is constantly dogging Caroline and Daniel as they struggle to begin a new chapter of their lives. Your One True Love is the beginning of a dream interrupted and a hope fulfilled. Hope, healing and new beginnings converge on an emotional roller coaster ride.

review 2017-10-21 16:24
Sorry, I'm confused by all the 5-Star Reviews for this...
Midnight Burning (Norse Chronicles) - LLC Red Adept Publishing,Jennifer Fournier,Karissa Laurel

Book Title:  Midnight Burning

Author:  Karissa Laurel

Narration:  Jennifer Fournier

Series:  Norse Chronicles #1

Genre:  Urban Fantasy, Norse Mythology

Publisher:  Red Adept Publishing, LLC

Setting:  Mostly Alaska

Source:   I received audiobook via Audiobook Boom in exchange for an honest review.

Add to Goodreads

Backdrop (World Building):  3.7/5

Originality:  4/5

Book Cover:  5/5

Narration:  2/5

Ending:  3/5  Cliffhanger:  Yup!

Steam Factor 0-5:  2

Total:  2.5/5 STARS - GRADE=D+

This felt like a lot longer than 278 pages on audio.  This was over 10 hours long…10 hours of unlikable characters, lines delivered in the wrong context and an annoyingly done love triangle (or square).

I don't usually get this upset with love triangle's, but this one really irked me.  Solina flip-flopped almost the entire book between Val and Thorin and ran hot and cold in her interactions with each, throughout.  She pushed away then pulled them in and pushed away again.  So much so, that I'm thinking she really likes Skyla instead.  Skyla accused her of having a girl crush, even.   I think the narrator is at fault for how cheesy the lines were delivered, she was not on her game at all.  This could have been a really good story, otherwise, because the Nordic element was an interesting one.  I just couldn't get past my dislike for these characters and the narrator to really listen to it.

Will I continue this series?  Nah…I'll pass.