logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: love
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-23 22:37
Faith (rocks)
Faith, Volume 1: Hollywood & Vine - Pete Pantazis,Jody Houser,Dave Sharpe,Stephanie Hans,Joe Quinones,Andrew Dalhouse,Michael Spicer,Francis Portela,Marguerite Sauvage

This was so worth the read. I can totally see Rebel Wilson playing Faith in a movie of the Renegades. She was so relatable, funny and plain real. Finally, a superhero that's curvy and into things real people are. She works at a Buzzfeed type social media company like so many other modern journalist, she loves sci-f and complains about traffic. This is a real hero for real people.

review 2017-06-23 18:29
RELEASE TOUR & REVIEW - Detour by Sid Love
Detour - Sid Love
Detour is a dark, m/m romance that starts off with a disturbing rape scene that some readers may find triggering. However, it is not gratuitous or glamorised, and is necessary for the story.

Austin is a young man, looking after his bipolar mother, enduring what he has to because he needs to keep his job. Of course, things don't go according to plan, and everyone has their limit. Things happen and Austin reaches his. He ends up leaving home without anything - no wallet, no coat, not even any shoes. It is, however, the best thing he has done so far.

With an amazing cast of characters that change and support each other throughout, this book is full of twists and turns, added extras to keep the readers' interest. And it does! I think Sid Love has managed to convey pretty much every emotion going in this book, and all done perfectly.

Detour doesn't start off very nice, but I applaud the author for bringing to light such subjects as are mentioned in this story.

If you can make it through rape, kidnapping and attempted murder, then I can assure you that this book is most definitely worth a read. Absolutely recommended by me.

* A copy of this book was provided to me with no requirements for a review. I voluntarily read this book, and the comments here are my honest opinion. *

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!
Source: archaeolibrarianologist.blogspot.de/2017/06/release-tour-review-detour-by-sid-love.html
review 2017-06-22 22:16
Love is Love
Love is Love - Phil Jimenez,Various

review 2017-06-21 01:44
The Hypnotist's Love Story - Liane Moriarty
The Hypnotist's Love Story - Liane Moriarty

This was my least favorite so far; it took me a while to really get hooked. And I still loved it. Erin who got me started on Moriarty has loaned me a Paula Hawkins, so I'm going to loan her a Carol Goodman. And walking out of my regular Tuesday meeting I got to talk books again with another coworker, who loved What Alice Forgot which I started as soon as I got home.

Like Saskia I had gotten out of the habit of talking to people, of having friends, of chatting. I appreciate having an example of how to get socially involved again.

Oh, hell, what I really love is the house on the beach.

Library copy

review 2017-06-20 22:15
This could have been so much better…
The Girl from Everywhere - Heidi Heilig

Setting:  New York, Honolulu, &  few other locales

Source:  Audiobook (Library)

Add to Goodreads

Book Theme Song

(this link will take you to my tumblr post with video)

Everywhere by Fleetwood Mac  --I found this by searching the word everywhere…seriously though this video is crazy and Idk…it reminded me of the book, with the tricorns it looked liked some kind of tropical port for pirate ships to dock.  Kind of crazy, kind of confusing…kind of something♫

⇝OVERALL RATING⇜

2/5 STARS

D

My Thoughts

The concept of time-travel in this story is genius, but to pull it off, you need to do more than just say "it happened."  I feel like it was never explained well enough for me to believe.  The characters were mostly unlikable and Nyxia, despite loving her name, was just a fickle girl who didn't know what she wanted from one minute to the next.  The only character I found remotely interesting is Kash.

As for the narration, I'm beginning to think I don't really care for Kim Mai Guest as a narrator, her voice is too bland sounding to hold my attention.  She's fine in an ensemble cast of characters (like One Of Us Is Lying), but on her own, not so much…as least for me.  I couldn't keep my mind in the story, and I almost DNF'd this more than once.

Ratings Breakdown

Addictiveness:  1/5

Theme or Tone:  2/5

Flow (Writing Style):  2.5/5

Backdrop (World Building):  1/5

Book Cover:  5/5  This cover rocks...if only...

Narration:  3/5

Ending:  3/5  Cliffhanger:  to be continued...

Will I continue this series?  Not likely.