Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: magic
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-03-20 21:24
The Invisible Library...
The Invisible Library - Genevieve Cogman

If anyone is familiar with the Bookburners serial then you know that it's remarkably similar to The Invisible Library series. I really like the Bookburners serial so I was excited to come across something else comparable.

I enjoyed The Invisible Library too and really can't believe I waited so long to read it, but one thing I thought could have been better was the world building. It just wasn't as defined as I would have liked it, and I'm referring more so to the Chaos concept, the alternate realities, the Library Language even some of the characters and their abilities were underdeveloped.

I realize it's a pretty complex system but there were a couple of times I wondered if the author even knew where she was trying to go with it.  Maybe those loose ends are tied up in the next book but, I personally like for the foundation to be laid out and nicely detailed, right from the start. It drives me nuts when authors use future installments to fill in gaps and missing pieces.

I am intrigued by the Library though and I really like Kai, Irene and Vale so I'm definitely going to continue the series with hopes that the many underlying layers of the Library develop into something a little more cohesive.

review 2018-03-20 10:00
Release Day Review! Moon Bound (Pack Bound #2) Leisl Leighton!
Moon Bound (Pack Bound) - Leisl Leighton

Only her love can heal his broken soul...

Five hundred years ago, facing extinction, a group of powerful witches united to create a pact with the Were to save witch-kind. The pact expelled an ancient evil, known only as the Darkness, that was blocking the Were from their wolves. With the Darkness destroyed, the Packs and their Covens grew strong as they thrived beside each other in their brand-new world.

But the Darkness was not destroyed.

Wiccan Healer-Witch Bronwyn Kincaid wants a quiet life. Her new powers have other ideas. Her increased healing magic and empathy mean she can’t ignore the plight of River Collins, a wolf brought up thinking the animal inside him is an evil he must forever suppress. If Bronwyn can’t control her powers and help River accept his wolf, the evil Darkness that hunts the Were will use them to destroy those they love.

I have to say that the Pack Bound series is off to a great start, the first book Pack Bound was an exciting read and now Moon Bound is one thrilling read that had me glued to the pages.

Bronwyn and River are strong, compelling characters that readers can’t help but fall for and cheer them on toward their happily ever after, their romance is full of emotional turbulence and the story invokes a gamete of feelings in readers throughout. The romance is sweet and the chemistry between Bronwyn and River has sparks flying but due to several issues has them both turning away which certainly keeps readers filled with suspense.

The plot is fast paced and full of thrills, intrigue and danger with the pack’s enemies coming back to try and destroy them once again adding suspense and excitement to story while also keeping reading readers on the edge of their seat with anticipation of just what those enemies will do next and what the Pack will do in retaliation. Oh and the antagonist is one that still sends shivers down my spine and has me continually trying to guess just what she is going to come up with next.

The Pack Bound world is definitely fascinating and full of intrigue which ensures that I am going to keep coming back for more, but while I find some things unexpected, there are a couple of predictable elements but not enough to keep me from enjoying the story and I can’t wait to visit with Pack McVale again in Shifter Bound which will be released in April.

Moon Bound is the 2nd book in the Pack Bound series.

Shifter Bound – 3rd book is due to be released on April 20, 2018.

Moon Bound is available in ebook at:

Amazon    iBooks   BookTopia   Kobo   B&N

Leisl Leighton can be found at:

Website   Goodreads   Twitter   Facebook

review 2018-03-19 17:04
Basically, sisters suck . . . plus magic~
Daughters Of The Storm - Kim Wilkins

Disclaimer: Reviewing pre-publication paperback ARC/proof copy.

This wasn't the right fit for me, but the quality of writing and storytelling was excellent, so I'll try to give some detail so you can figure out if it's a match for your own tastes.

This is the story of five sisters as they try to save their father (the king) from a magical curse. Only, being as how they're sisters, they mostly fall prey to rivalries and selfishness and do more harm than good. It wasn't clear from the copy I had, but this looks like the first in a series, which makes a lot more sense. I found it pretty depressing, as it seems to be an excellent argument for sticking to one child per family, and it also delves into the sex lives (and terrible choices) of each sister, and as a general rule I find a person's sexuality to be the least interesting part of them. But, y'know, tastes differ and all that. It's adult fantasy, not really romance, so the scenes don't get excessively explicit or drawn out. Somewhere from 1-3 of the sisters have some level of spiritual/magical powers that get tangled with some potential psychosis, so that part was interesting and has potential. It was a surprisingly fast read considering its size.

I'm not terribly knowledgeable when it comes to high fantasy subgenres - this might be considered grimdark? Or crossover literary-fantasy? Not really to my tastes, but the writing was very well done and the storytelling was smooth, if a little slow at the start. It switches perspectives between all five daughters, their stepmother, their stepbrother, and maybe a couple more, I don't really remember, so that does make it hard to get into the story and build attachment to the characters up front. It was a fascinating choice in terms of storytelling and suspense, though, since it really lends itself to exploring the moral ambiguity and deceitfulness of characters. They each portray themselves as sympathetic and make observations on the others, and then you switch POV and get a different look at the same people and actions. So I think this would be an excellent book for the right reader (review: 3/5 for taste, 5/5 for quality), but just not right for me.

review 2018-03-19 09:15
Just breathe!
Sex, Sorcery, and Spirit: The Secrets of Erotic Magic - Jason Miller

Jason Miller’s Sex, Sorcery and Spirit the Secrets of Erotic Magic is an interesting and captivating way to practice the art of breathing. Through bold and straightforward language, Miller gives a practical spin on the mysterious art of sex magick. Sex, Sorcery and Spirit the Secrets of Erotic Magic is a conglomeration of Miller’s personal experience as a practitioner of magick and years of dedication to the study of tantra in all its forms. Miller recommends his authentic, self-tested techniques therein for harnessing sexual energy in order to stimulate a connection with Spirit. Sex, Sorcery and Spirit the Secrets of Erotic Magic will strip away any puritanical views about sexuality and replace them with an active, spiritually enlightened libido.

Sex, Sorcery and Spirit the Secrets of Erotic Magic by Jason Miller (2015)

Published by New Page Books

review 2018-03-17 06:36
I feel like a book about mass poisonings, satanism and an inquisition should have been more exciting.
City of Light, City of Poison: Murder, Magic, and the First Police Chief of Paris - Holly Tucker

Maybe it just lacked focus? Maybe it was taking on a topic that in the end was too broad and too murky?

The basic storyline follows the investigations of a police chief into an escalating and expanding series of poisonings, plots, satanism, and possible human sacrifice (the last never completely confirmed). I think the problem comes from how unconnected a lot of the suspects were, and how the implications to high politics were always vague at best.

Thus we end up spending chapters on one noble woman methodically assassinating the majority of her family, whose plot is only to prime the later panic, but doesn't really have much else to do with the book. We also spend chapters and chapters on everyone Louis XIV was sleeping with, which was a lot of people, man, only two of whom were actually relevant to the whole poisoning/satanism issue.

I'm all for setting up background, but it seemed to be a lot of background to actual investigation ratio going on in this book. Which might of been a good thing, because the investigation involved very little gumshoe shenanigans and a heck of a lot of torturing the fuck out of people. Which was graphically described. So.

The writing itself was fairly good; a lot of the slice of life period detail was interesting, and I always like Kate Reading's narration. I dunno, Vive la révolution, I guess.