logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: magic
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-09-25 07:18
In a Reading Slump aka Doom Bastion
Magic Burns - Ilona Andrews

Meh. Dark and dreary. Dank and gloomy. Like the Duracell bunny, it kept on going. It felt like it would never end. Suffice it to say, I'm not a fan. What can I say? Julie is sweet, Red is an asshole, Bran is full of himself, Currin likes to play with his food, and by that I mean play games with Kate, Andrea's trapped in a world she doesn't belong in, those 3 oracle witches, Moriggan, Morfran and all other gods are as passive and non-existent as can be. Kate is wasting time and should get laid already ugh.

Source: www.goodreads.com/review/show/464748088
review 2018-09-24 22:34
Iron and Magic / Ilona Andrews
Iron and Magic - Ilona Andrews

Hugh d’Ambray, Preceptor of the Iron Dogs, Warlord of the Builder of Towers, served only one man. Now his immortal, nearly omnipotent master has cast him aside. Hugh is a shadow of the warrior he was, but when he learns that the Iron Dogs, soldiers who would follow him anywhere, are being hunted down and murdered, he must make a choice: to fade away or to be the leader he was born to be. Hugh knows he must carve a new place for himself and his people, but they have no money, no shelter, and no food, and the necromancers are coming. Fast.

Elara Harper is a creature who should not exist. Her enemies call her Abomination; her people call her White Lady. Tasked with their protection, she's trapped between the magical heavyweights about to collide and plunge the state of Kentucky into a war that humans have no power to stop. Desperate to shield her people and their simple way of life, she would accept help from the devil himself—and Hugh d’Ambray might qualify.

Hugh needs a base, Elara needs soldiers. Both are infamous for betraying their allies, so how can they create a believable alliance to meet the challenge of their enemies?

Buying and reading this novel was my birthday treat to myself. And what a good treat it was!

I remember wondering at one or two points in the Kate Daniels series if Kate shouldn’t have been a little more tempted by Hugh d’Ambray--I wasn’t completely sold on Curran at the beginning. Now, the Andrews give us another look at things from Hugh’s point-of-view and I had some of my questions answered.

Hugh becomes more than just a tool of Roland in this story—he acquires a backstory which helps the reader to gain some sympathy for someone who seemed altogether evil in the Kate Daniels series. He also shows hidden depths and possibilities for redemption that I would never have believed possible. Very similar with what they did with Mad Rogan in the Hidden Legacy series.

With Elara, the Andrews manage to produce a woman of sufficient depth and complexity to match Hugh—in short, someone who is at least his equal and who can’t be overwhelmed by his bigger-than-life stature and who isn’t intimidated by his fearsome reputation. I am intrigued by her and will look forward to getting to know her better in subsequent installments.

There are lots of adventures, including a pow-wow with the Bouda Clan, led by Rafael & Andrea. I’m a forever fan of the were-hyenas, so I was glad to get to see them again. As usual, the authors create a number of characters and creatures that make me want to read on as soon as possible. How is it that Hugh’s horse Bucky can glow sometimes? And is his second in command going to learn ASL to impress one of Elara’s council? Can the Iron Dogs integrate themselves into the witchy community?

An entertaining enemies-to-lovers romance with all kinds of fun by-paths to explore. Now I just have to practice patience until the release of Magic Triumphs.

review 2018-09-24 19:54
Fin
Magic Triumphs - Ilona Andrews

Holy Shitake, the things I have witnessed, unspeakable, fantastic, horrific, beautiful things, all the feels on steroids. I will miss this world and the characters.

review 2018-09-24 11:39
The Colour of Magic (Discworld, #1)
The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett

I never know how to review the discworld books.  They're sort of impossible to describe to anyone who hasn't already read them, and likewise, they're hard (for me) to review.

Generally, having read a few of the later discworld books in a couple of the sub-series, I found this one to be the weakest in terms of personal enjoyment.  I'm happy to have The Luggage finally explained, or at least properly introduced, and there were a few great jokes, but the story... meh.   And is it just me, or is Death distinctly less personable in his earliest incarnation?  I also missed the footnotes that add so much to later discworld books.

I read this in both audio and print as part of the Discworld group and for Halloween Bingo - I'm using it for the Free Square.

review 2018-09-23 21:52
Shifter Square
Crimes Against Magic - Steve McHugh

I might not have been in the right mood for this considering what is currently going on in the US politics.

It is a workable fantasy.  It is part Burn Notice, part Dresden, part James Bond.  Apparently every single beautiful woman finds Nate undeniable and is willing to drop her bra and panties for him.  At least, every woman of legal age.  To be fair, Nate does look upon girls as girls, and the sex is totally consenual - far beyond the loose Bond defination of that word.  Its just, at least for me, an eye rolling really.

But this would have been fine because the first half of the book is at least servicable urban fantasy, even a cut above because Nate does not try to soft pedal what he is, and he is at least honest.  The sections that take place in the past work in terms of laying down a longer plan and connecting the story to a larger mythos.

The world building could have been a little bit more work.

The second half of the novel falls a bit apart into a somewhat standard damsel in distress plot line that just feels like women manipulating men to fix problems.  I'm more in the mood for women to be kicking ass.