logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: magic
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-08-19 21:09
Great take on the Cycle
Norse Mythology - Neil Gaiman

It was gloriously awesome. How much of the merit goes to Gaiman and how much always belonged to the myth compendium has little bearing in my enjoyment.

The stories are tall tales indeed: huge, fun, magical, gruesome. The characters are as great as flawed: Odin lies, cheats, seduces and steals; Thor is a block-head to which every problem is a nail (hah); and Loki is the charming psychopath. All this is more or less merit of the Edda.

The book is a fast read, very approachable, very engaging, and the order of presentation and building makes it easy to follow the names and elements. The text is cheeky, and has many little asides that had me in stitches, turning wistful and lyrical as we come to the bittersweet end. All this, plus some nuances to the dialogues that made them hilarious (or creepy, or bittersweet), was Gaiman I reckon.

It is a book I want to buy. I want to re-read it, whole and by pieces. Have it as a reference. Read from to my children. Also, as an object, it is a beauty. Full stars.

review 2017-08-17 04:30
Deep Magic (Deep Magic #1) by Gillian St. Kevern
Deep Magic - Gillian St. Kevern

The ending seemed as tangled as Dewy's hair at one point, and was dealt with it the same way - cut short. But on the whole - pure magic. I loved it to pieces :)
And yeah, Vegemite... @.@  lol

review 2017-08-15 14:52
Review: A Darker Shade of Magic (2015) by V.E. Schwab
A Darker Shade of Magic: A Novel - V. E. Schwab

I have a fascination on the many worlds concepts both in theoretical physics and in fictional worlds. With the goal of reading recently released paperback books (I just usually buy used books released years ago), I picked up A Darker Shade of Magic. I wanted to know how the concept of parallel worlds used in a fantasy setting. Previously, I just read fantasy stories that only have two worlds, the mundane and the magical. Now I get to read four worlds in one.

A Darker Shade of Magic is the first of a trilogy written by V.E. Schwab. This is my first book from her. This book was first released in 2015.

This is the story of Kell, one of the few remaining Antari. They are magicians that can traverse in between worlds. There are four worlds with one thing in common, all have a city that is named London. These Londons are designated by color, Gray, Red, White, and Black. Kell is from Red London. Here he grew up with the royal family but not a part of it. He consider Prince Rhy his brother. Officially, Kell is the ambassador to the White and Gray London. (Traveling to the Black London is forbidden.) Unofficially, he is a smuggler for items only found in other Londons. One day he came across with a dangerous artifact that in the wrong hand can be used to destroy the walls separating the London. He cross paths with Lila the pickpocket from Gray London and together they set things the right way.

Kell is the best written character. Other characters, including the antagonists, not as much. I liked how the differences of the Londons were written. I, as the reader, can easy tell which London is which. The plot lines are tied in the end. I can end reading now or pick up the next books.

I recommend this book for those who like to mix and match their genres. I haven’t read the blurbs of the next books but I will pick them up but not anytime soon.

Next in Shades of Magic series:

review 2017-08-13 15:48
Audio Book Review: Demon Magic
Demon Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Seeker B... Demon Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Seeker Book 2) - Linsey Hall

*I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.

Del learns she has bigger problems than she thought. Not only does she have to learn to control her powers for herself, but also to keep from taking other demon souls. She released one soul in the previous book, and now attracts other demons to her. The Order of Magica has picked up that a demon has died, but it's soul is still on Earth. The man that kissed her once and now is acting strange has an idea. Roarke has an acquaintance at Cambridge, in the magical University of England, who may be able to help her master her powers. Del agrees to go, with Roarke and her sisters, Cass and Nix.

I've grown accustom to listening to Laurel voice this world. I enjoy the voices she gives the men, and all characters. But the men with accents, yes ma'am. lol. There are accents needed for secondary characters as well, and Laurel voices them to give us a feel as we are traveling in those areas of the world.

Now, this book feels more Del than a Cass remake. Sure, there are similar patterns with the guy, learning her new magic, and soul stealing. We even meet a new character - Horatio - who reminds me much of Professor that Cass talks to for help. But the events around all that are very different and very Del like. I like the death magic associated with Del. It's different yet very believable system. Roarke even has his own system of contacts to call when things are needed.

We learn a secret of Roarke's when Del finally shares her big secret. Yes, the one about his brother. Though, it's a big thing for him and makes him who he is, it didn't feel that weighted as it was told to us. It is a terrible feeling he carries with him though and something that affects his thinking on their potential relationship. Roarke is a wonderful companion for Del. He feels to fit her well with the darkness of the Underworld in him, and Del.

I very much enjoyed this story as we learn about Del and her parents. Though we haven't met them we get a feel for how she grew up. This is interesting and I'm curious to learn more about them, and who they are. I really think they are special.

This book leads us to something (or someone) that will be who Del has to fight. There is a reason for the curse on her, yet no one knows it. This book leaves the hints of a possible next adventure for Del to learn about why the curse from who cursed her. And maybe a big battle with that person.

review 2017-08-12 01:20
Master of Ghouls (SPECTR #2)
Master of Ghouls - Jordan L. Hawk

This was a quick and fun continuation into the SPECTR world that Ms. Hawk started building in the first book. Caleb's still possessed - obviously - and he and Gray are learning how to share one body and work in tandem to fight the monsters. The complications of the situation aren't ignored either - Caleb still very much wants to be rid of Gray, and there are still questions being asked on all sides about the ethics of "monster" killing, at least where Gray is concerned.

The main plot with the titled Master of Ghouls felt a little thin on substance but there's hints of something else in the works for the rest of the series, so I'll wait to see where that goes.

Pointing out it's only been eight days since all this started makes the insta-love a little harder to swallow, and Jon bordering on unprofessionalism due to Caleb feels like a stretch.