logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: magic
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-25 03:48
CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS BY: MARTINA MCATEE
Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things - Martina McAtee

best friends

This book was AMAZING! I rarely give a first book in a series 5 stars, but if I could give this book a million stars I would!

all the stars

The world building was TOP NOTCH. I kept telling my friend this was Ilona Andrews level world building. For those that don't know, that is like the be all end all of world building, in my book at least. It was so vast I kept thinking I could stay in this world forever. I can see where there would be no shortage of stories to be told in this world that McAtee has created. There was a supernatural POWERHOUSE in this book, with plenty of beings that are familiar, shifters, witches, demons, necromancers etc. and some new and fascinating beings I haven't read about before! I enjoyed the fact that Ember was new to this supernatural world too so you got to learn everything about this new mesmerizing place and all its colorful inhabitants side by side with her.

The characters were so diverse and plentiful. There were a lot of people in this story, and there wasn't one that didn't have me completely engrossed in their life. I could not get enough of them! We get a few different POVs in this story, and they are perfectly executed. I am so particular about multiple POVs. If they aren't clearly recognized each time, rather by each voice being distinguishable and unique enough to stand on their own obviously, or by marking it at the chapter changes, I tend to be disappointed. I had no problem with that here. I was honestly kind of blown away how seamlessly the shift was made each time, and even more impressively, how loveable each person was! I was always happy to spend time seeing things through any of their eyes and that is no easy task!

I love YOU!

It also needs to be said that this cover is stunning as well! I really can't even do this book enough justice with a review. I loved everything about it, plain and simple. And if any of this sounds even remotely like something you may enjoy, pick this book up because I have a feeling you are going to fall in love with it too.

review 2017-06-25 02:50
THE ROMEO CATCHERS BY: ALYS ARDEN
The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls Series) - Alys Arden

<!-- x-tinymce/html -->

Reading an Alys Arden book is like taking a vacation. Her books make you feel like you're an actual part of the French Quarter. Completely immersive and her love of her city shines through each and every page. You end up feeling as if you are living and breathing the city right along with the characters. I absolutely adore that about these books!

bayou a drink

I loved watching the Coven come together and getting to know some new characters as well as getting more background stories from characters we already know and love. Getting to know Niccolo better was quite endearing. I don't know what Arden is trying to do to my heart, but I don't think I could possibly be any more conflicted between Niccolo and Isaac at this point! Seeing Adele and Isaac's relationship flourish in this book was so sweet. I can plainly see that they are pretty darn wonderful together. But even with Niccolo being out of sight, he was never out of mind, and seeing him as this young determined dreamer with so many hopes of a bright future tugged at each one of my heartstrings. I don't even know what I want at this point! I am DYING to see what happens in the next book.

which one

I was really excited to see more of the witch magic throughout the story. It was a lot of fun watching Adele, Isaac and Dee building up their coven and finding their place. I am very eager to see this group grow and flourish! I am completely intrigued by their individual growing powers as well! That ending was OUT OF CONTROL. You could tell that it was building to something huge towards the end, and it did not disappoint. I have no idea what will happen next in this story, but I can't wait to find out!

patience

review 2017-06-24 14:35
Exodus of Magic!!!
Exodus of Magic (The Mysterium Chronicles Book 1) (English Edition) - Simone Pond

I'M IN LOVE. I seriously can't wait to read the rest of the series.

Summary: Magic is illegal in the city of Mysterium, so Jordan must keep her secret buried deep. If anyone discovers the truth about her powerful and extraordinary magic, it would destroy everyone she cares about.

When Jordan uses illegal magic to protect others from a terrorist attack, she becomes a person of interest for the diabolical Counselor Magnus. He’ll keep her secret as long as she does his dirty work. She soon discovers the disturbing truth about Magnus, Mysterium, and her supernatural past.

Forced to leave the city, she learns about her true ancestors and an ancient prophecy she’s supposed to fulfill. But with Magnus, a vengeful werewolf, and a bloodthirsty vampire hunting her down, Jordan doubts she’ll ever be able to save this ancient race of people.

This was one of the books, that I just couldn't put down. Right from the first page I was totally into the story and the world it was set in. The writing is amazing and really fast paced. From the beginning until the end, there is action and lots of things happening, also a lot of questions are already answered. I LOVE THAT SO MUCH.

I love Jordan, the main character, and her journey through this book, finding out who she really is and what she has to do. I loved all her different relationships with the rest of the characters so much. What I loved even more that so far, there isn't a love triangle. Romance seems to be far in the background of this story, it's more about what is currently going on in that world and how to change things. PRAISE THE LORD.

Also some twists and turns towards the end, that I TOTALLY LOVED.

Thank god, I purchased the series as a whole on amazon, cause I really want to see where things are going.

review 2017-06-24 02:14
ROAR BY: CORA CARMACK
Roar - Cora Carmack

<!-- x-tinymce/html -->

I first heard about Roar around a month or so before it released. The premise instantly intrigued me and I knew I wanted to give this book a try so I pre-ordered it. I am so glad that I did! Roar did not disappoint! It was everything I was hoping it would be, and more!

Aurora was such an interesting character. I sympathized with her plight, an heir to her kingdom with a huge secret that could topple it before she even got a chance to take the throne. I liked that she was noble enough to want what was best for her kingdom, not just herself and her pride.

She needed Stormling magic as much for them as she did for herself. I was impressed with the lengths she was willing to go to become independent and strong enough to lead on her own. And considering her sheltered life, hiding herself away so no one would learn her secret, that she lacked her family magic, I thought her going on this epic journey was just what she needed, not only to find her magic, but to also find herself and get a better understanding of the world and the people that she will be ruling over one day.

I have to say that not only was Aurora a wonderful leading lady, but each character in this story was enchanting! I genuinely wanted to know more about each and every one, even the ones with the more nefarious intentions, maybe even especially them. Each character was well thought out and multilayered, and it made the story shine that much brighter for it. I loved the rag tag group of storm hunters!

These misfits that found something like a family in each other and a home in wherever the winds were blowing up the next big storm. They each had a compelling tale to tell, what lead them to where they are now and the things that shaped them. I feel like we have only just begun to hear their stories and know their motivations and I really can't wait to get more!

Besides the amazing set of characters the setting is equally enriching. Carmack has created a vast world here and I am desperately hoping to get to see even more of it in future books! And the magic! I loved the idea of these people who can conquer these storms that seem more beastly than natural. Forces of nature have always been something that equally interests me and frightens me. These things that can just come out of nowhere, wreak such havoc and bow to no man.

There's a reason "ride out the storm" is a saying, what else can you really do against such raw power? That is part of the reason I found the idea of these people who can stand toe to toe with a storm and steal its heart, its very essence, for their own so wild and compelling! And if that sounds as awesome to you is it did to me...just wait until you get to the end of this book! That twist was not something that I saw coming, and might just be my very favorite thing in this story!

If you are a fan of fantasy and adventure stories with a strong cast of characters I highly recommend giving this book a read! I am so glad that I did and now begins the excruciating wait for the sequel.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-06-22 01:51
I loved reading this one!
Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo

I was so immersed in the book I didn’t even realize what time it was when I was halfway (about 2 AM in the morning.) Yes it was that good. I loved everything about it.

The plot was fast moving and good - although it had some different elements, it is with the same template of: “Girl finds out she’s got extraordinary powers to make a difference in the world and is sent to a boarding school to enhance those skills”. Although it’s not any different from those types of books out there, the characters and the setting make up for it and provides an exciting read.

It seems like the language is based on Russian words (correct me if I’m wrong here.) With the terminology and setting loosely based on the language. I found this pretty interesting and fun to read, it certainly does provide a particular theme and flavor to the novel which adds to the joy of reading the book.

Character wise, I loved just about everyone in the book. Alina isn’t your typical character. She’s got a wry humor and has a tendency to be hard on herself. I really like her though. She’s not a damsel in distress, she’s a tomboy, but when push comes to shove she can look like a girly girl and enjoy it if she wants to. Her character develops throughout the book and she goes through some real tough times. She’s not whiny about it but she takes it all in almost to the point of admitting self defeat. I actually liked reading this about her. It’s makes her more human.

*****spoilers below you’ve been warned*****

Now who to choose? Mal or the Darkling? I fell for the Darkling. I really did. I loved his mystery and his charm and I wanted to kick myself in the butt for falling for him as hard as Alina did. He just HAD to be the bad one. Well, sometimes we just fall for the bad ones don’t we? ;)

I liked Mal too though. He was everything you wanted in a guy friend about to be boyfriend. He was just as charming but he had the good boy persona on him. I’d have to say, Alina had some good prospects (if only the Darkling didn’t have such a horrible agenda.)

Overall I loved this book and I’m definitely going to grab the second one. Can’t wait to see what happens!