Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: manga-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-02-16 03:51
One of the Best Manga Science Fiction Ever Published.
Akira, Vol. 1 - Katsuhiro Otomo
Akira, Vol. 2 - Katsuhiro Otomo
Akira, Vol. 3 - Katsuhiro Otomo
Akira, Vol. 4 - Katsuhiro Otomo
Akira, Vol. 5 - Katsuhiro Otomo
Akira, Vol. 6 - Katsuhiro Otomo

If there is one thing when it comes to anime, people will always remember Akira. When it comes to manga, this is a one read people should invested on. I love Akira personally because of its sheer epic story of man versus Godhood and any thing that writes about power, this is the book people of all reader types should read.

30 years ago in 1992, an explosion in Japan cause the beginning of World War III. In 2028, Tokyo has become Neo-Tokyo, a place where society is on the rise of political distrust and Japan's top secret military army is trying to prevent one of its biggest secret to leak out to the world... until an accident on a highway towards where the origin of the explosion starts a chain of events that will lead to... Akira. Two friends (Kaneda & Tetsuo) will be fighting for their lives on friendship, love and the fate of Japan.

I love Akira ever since its anime was released in 1989. When I watched it, I was floored by its cell animation, its story and its science fiction action dystopian future. I never knew there was a manga series (but that was after I read Yukito Kishiro's Battle Angel Alita, and it still is one of my favorite mangas of all time, next to Akira) and it took me a while to finally waited long enough to get the compilation series in six volumes and read it at one go. This to me... is nothing more than one of the best sci-fi manga series ever written and drawn. There is so much to explore here and so much to love. Not many authors or creators these days are bold enough to write some thing this good and this is one of the best 1200 over pages I have ever read. Yes, there are some issues on the book that is overlook and not answered at all but to much of its own, it has answered a lot when it comes to its main story, not the back story. For me, if you want to pick up a manga title and its your first time ever - this is the manga series to invest on.

p/s: Lately my reviews are getting shorter and shorter in writing. I would definitely explore back and write more if I had time.

review 2017-12-21 13:00
Fruits Basket Vol 1 by Natsuki Takaya
Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 - Natsuki Takaya

I love it. I love it! This nostalgic series is so special to me. The art style is cute, the story line is unique and pretty wonderful in my humble opinion. The characters are varied and fun.

There is so much more to Fruits Basket than meets the eye when you first just glance at the cover. You see a pretty anime girl in a school girl uniform, so you might think of the typical anime stereotypes of the girls being overly sexy, fan service and all the other cliches found in "girly" manga.

Fruits Basket is not like that at all. There is nothing that I would call fan service. There is one character (The Dog) that is a pervert, but it never seems to be taken too far, and I think his one liners are used more for comedy.

Speaking of comedy, this series is funny. The author mentions in her notes that she did not intend on it being a comedy, but it just sort of happened that way. There are so many human emotions in this story, humor, anger (between Yuki & Kyo), grief, and the love the Sohma's and Tohru quickly feel for each other, like a found family.

This manga might have a girl as the main character, but it is not a story for girls. It is a story for anybody who likes good storytelling.

There is no romance in this volume, but you get the vibe about the romance that will happen later. I've read up to volume 13, so I know the romance is a slow burn and I really enjoy that. This series explores friendships and family dynamics and I'm so happy it did not jump straight to crushes and insta love.

Tohru is a very likeable main female lead. She's a little naive, but also a very good person. She wants to make her mother proud and do good in school, and also be a good friend to people she cares about. She is a hard worker and is quick to care about people she meets.

I have love for both Kyo and Yuki, but some frustration that if they just talked to each other about their true feelings, they could work out their issues and stop breaking Shigure's house! I hope Shigure is getting paid good for his novels, because he's fixed that door about a million times.

There is not one character in this series that I dislike, except maybe Akito, but we'll get to that later.

Oh the Yuki fan club is kind of annoying, but can be funny too.

review 2017-12-20 16:18
Wedding Peach Vol 1 by Nao Yazawa
Wedding Peach, Vol. 1 - Sukehiro Tomita

In terms of story and originality, this might not be the best take on the magic girl genre, but I still really love this series.

It is a highly nostalgic manga series for me. It is super ridicules, I'll admit. Momoko accepts that she is a magical girl too easily and automatically knows how to fight, and all her magic spell catch phrases, but we can argue that it is destiny and of course she would know all this.

Princess Peach has all the magical girl stereotypes. All the girls are swoon/crazy in love with the sports stars, trying to give them bento boxes, the main character Momoko has a love/hate relationship with a guy who is highly likely to be her love interest. It is super obvious.

Our lovely newly turned magical girl goes through the whole "I like him, no but I can't, he's rude and mean, but deep down he has a heart of gold" thing with this guy. It's so cheesy, and overdone, but I can't help but still like this and think overall it is very cute, makes me feel like a giggly teenager again.

I want to point out that in a lot of stories the love interest like this are usually just jerks/mean, maybe even abusive and that is seen as dark and brooding, romanticized, but the boy in this manga isn't really a bad person, and I don't believe their budding relationship is toxic or problematic. Some people take the "boys are mean because they like me" thing way over the top in real life and in stories as well; I don't feel like this one was over the top, just judging from the first volume, at least.

I've heard people say it is a rip off of Sailor Moon, but I have a feeling people think that of a lot of magical girl manga. Whether or not it is a rip off, I'm not bothered by it.

This volume had sweet moments, moments where I was like "oh, that's cute," but there were also a couple moments where my heart was touched. Maybe I am too sentimental?

It is cliche, of course. People are going to either love it or hate it.

P.S I really want my own Jama P pet.

"Miss Peach! Much Happy!"

review 2017-07-15 01:23
Do We Trust Our Memories As A Child?
Erased, Vol. 1 - Kei Sanbe

Mangas have been a medium of many good stories. From family, romance, comedy, drama to fantasy, science fiction, horror and thriller mystery, it takes a good writer and an artist to craft out an interesting plot to keep the readers kept up following a series. While there are many well-known titles in the market that commonly in love with around the world (like NarutoBleachDragonball or even Doraemon),there are some titles that is under the radar that is good, that is worth reading. One of them was Erased, which I had finished reading earlier this morning.

Erased is actually a science-fiction mystery thriller short series about a 29-year old man (Satoru Fujinuma) who dream of being a manga-artist may not come true and has to make-ends-meet as a pizza delivery motorcyclist has an ability to go back in time a few minutes before some thing bad happens. He calls it Revival and this ability it seems is not within his control. He doesn't like it because it brought unwanted attention from people he knows... until one night, when he return home, was the night his mother was murdered. Wanting to stop the murderer from killing his mother, he tries to use 'Revival' to go back in time... only he went back 18 years of his life as a young boy in 1988. Why that particular year? It was the year that a murder case happened that changes every thing from the life he lead that he felt unhappy with.

Complicated right? Some how, I felt the plot was quite similar to some stories I have read (I can't place it but I know the similarity was there) but what was more interesting, was the depth of the plot that creator Kei Sanbehad created that makes this manga series worth picking up, and its not because of the cover (which was I first attracted with). Erased isn't any thing new to offer but it was the depth that drawn me the complications and slightly dark characters that I felt worth going for. I like the part where when one is an adult, our memories as a child can be misleading that can't be trusted. Especially, when Satoruwanted to save a girl from being murdered, unsure if he had changed any thing in the past or were they still the same. Further more, his relationship with his mother plays well if whether memories can be trusted if they indeed had a good relationship and things that we can't remember is realistic. Although for me, I do find the murder mystery part did not do a good job in making as a goal, it was what Satoru can or cannot remember that make's the mystery a little more interesting on why he can or can't remember.

I am sure after reading the first volume (consist of two mangas) I will be following up this series until the last to find out how it ends but my only hope is that it ends proper. Like most manga titles, there are not many really Japanese writer/artist ends their series well and its always half-hearted that leaves some thing of any good desire.

review 2017-02-02 14:01
When An Outcast Became a Hero At The Beginning of a Zombie Outbreak!
I am a Hero Omnibus Volume 1 - Kengo Hanzawa

There are so many 'zombie' related novels, comics and even mangas, its unsure which one is really good to pick up. Yes, The Walking Dead is a much favorite comic book series so far with other numerous other zombies that many felt pale to its comparison. Mangas are only a handful of titles that either work or fair well to some readers. It was then I stumble upon a movie trailer of 2016's I Am A Hero that got me curious to pick up this manga title... and boy, Kengo Hanazawa has shown true potential what a storyteller and artist he can be with this title.

Let's start off with what makes this different than most zombie titles - Hideo Suzuki is a lowly assistant manga artist for a long time. He's an outcast thirty-five years old and still has no hit on any of his proposal that he was popular to be made into serial in Japan. Daydreamer occasionally that he is not able to see reality of life, he talks to himself most of the time. His girlfriend, on the other hand, used to be a fan of his but he isn't if she still loves him. Slowly as days passes by and always on a deadline, some thing is happening around Hideo that he never notices and thinks its one of his hallucinations... until when some thing freshly dead became a reality in Japan.

How much different is this compare to other 'zombie' related theme novels, comics or mangas is this - told in a sequence of a day to day happening, Kengo Hanazawa took realism into manga form using panel by panel story telling. Its not a fast-reading material, I give you that but the artwork gives any reader a step-by-step eye movement following sequence that really works into your pleasure of reading. I was totally into the manga and I am glad that he took his time building up the suspense in a slow-pacing manner. In truth - the real fun begins after 1/2 of the omnibus (which is after the first collected volume one) and where the attack begins. But won't this affect the fun in reading the manga? No. He has his own reasoning why the build up is slow. That build up introduce the characters of who they are, what they are to the protagonist and how this affects his reality issues of life that he can't comprehend. Namely, the wonders of daydreamers depict really well as a character being told almost accurately how shut-ins live their lives. Throw them into a zombie apocalypse and see what they will do. And that's a fun read.

The artwork itself is the ugly reality of how Japanese life is. And the details given so meticulous in art-form is a beautiful piece you can feel that Kengo Hanazawa paid a lot of good attention to details needed. Yes, blurred lines are used but the splash pages are some thing to behold here. My following eye-movement is one that dictates which will go first and which is important for the intensity of the action and this works really well. Its an acceptable manga to give what manga readers want to enjoy reading and to admire the artwork as well. Nominated and won with some awards and its still ongoing since its first debut its series in Japan in 2009, I am glad I pick up this title on a whim because of the movie trailer. I am hoping that it does not disappoint as the series continue and since the English language version was released last-year, I can wait a little longer to enjoy reading this at a slow-pacing while I work it up with my other readings. This is one zombie related manga that should be read if you want some thing that build's its suspense at the right timing.