logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: marvel
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-06 15:32
The Many Faces of Doctor Strange
Marvel Platinum: The Definitive Doctor Strange - Gene Colan,Roy Thomas,Brian K. Vaughan,Frank Brunner,Stan Lee,Steve Ditko,Marv Wolfman,Roger Stern,Marcos Martin,Marshall Rogers,Neil Vokes,Len Kaminski,Steve Engelhart,Geoff Isherwood,Roger Stern

This covers Doctor Strange from his inception to much more recent adventures with a variety of art styles and enemies.

Interesting collection, Lots of potential that hte film really did do well with.

It falls into (in my opinion)  Doomsday; Spellbound, Gothic, Ghost Stories, Genre: Horror; Supernatural; and Relics.  However I've used all those, I'm putting it into the Raven Square.

review 2018-09-23 13:40
Super Famous!!!
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 5: Super Famous - Nico Leon,G. Willow Wilson,Cliff Chiang,Takeshi Miyazawa,Adrian Alphona

More like Super Overwhelmed, or Super Overworked!!!

Most of the time in the Volume, I just wanted to take Kamala out of the story and just hug her, give her a nice cup of tea and wrap her up in a blanket, cause there was just so much going on for her.

She's just my favorite. I love her whole story so darn much. She's amazing, she's real. She's everything.

Aside from Kamala, I seriously loved Mike in this Volume. She kinda came out of the blue (look what I did there, cause she has blue hair and...it's not funny, if you have to explain it, Nicole.) I need more Kamala and Mike scenes in coming Volumes. I also loved the weird little friendship between Zoe and Nakia that we saw a little bit from in the background.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-08-19 20:41
July 2018 — A Wrap Up

Originally published at midureads.wordpress.com on August 19, 2018.

20821263

Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs

“Silver”

I finally learned how Samuel and Bran became werewolves. The story is dark and violent but that seems fitting.

“Roses in Winter”

Asil, an aging werewolf in the Marrok’s pack is more man than beast. An innocent girl, Kara, begins to change all that.

“Redemption”

Ben has always been an interesting character in the Mercy series. He is misogynistic and can’t say two words without cursing. He also has a lot of baggage to deal with due to an abusive past. Yet he redeems himself in this story!

“Hollow”

I don’t really remember much about this one, except that it felt incomplete. Funny thing is that this one featured Mercy and I loved the one before this and the one before that.

“Fairy Gifts”

This is the story of Thomas the vampire who comes back home to repay a favor. I found it boring.

“Gray”

Elyna Gray is a vampire who must face the consequences of her actions when she killed the man she loved. Sad but interesting story.

“Alpha and Omega”

I have never really cared about the other series. This story takes us back to the first time Marrok’s son Charles met his wife Anna. I found it okayish. You can see the author’s uncertainty about the whole concept of Omega werewolves. She hasn’t gotten there yet and the story suffers for it.

“Seeing Eye”

A werewolf Tom meets a witch Moira. Gruesome things happen in this one but I liked it anyway. One thing that bothers me is why the author looks down on witches’ magic and the whole concept that it comes from pain and blood sacrifice. Even when she is describing white magic, it feels as if she is against it. Why though?

“The Star of David”

David Christiansen gets a family reunion that gives him a reason to continue living. Scary as heck but a feel-good story.

“In Red, with Pearls”

We are allowed to peek into the relationship that the werewolf Warren has with his boyfriend Kyle. While I love em both and together, I wasn’t a fan of this one. Warren was too overprotective of Kyle and not in a good way. I solved the identity of the person who hired the hit as soon as they were mentioned, which took the fun out of the story even more.

2089801523017992

Loki: Agent of Asgard, Vols. 1 & 2 by Al Ewing

screenshot_20180713-112407.jpg

Screenshot_20180713-111958screenshot_20180712-193955.jpgscreenshot_20180712-193951.jpg

Classic Loki antics. Plans within plans within plans. I wasn’t crazy about this one but it wasn’t bad either. As usual, Loki is trying to do the right thing in the wrongest of ways and for worse reasons. We see a glimpse of the Avengers in the first one. The second featured Doctor Doom.

34849019

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 8: Mecca by G. Willow Wilson

The humor characteristic of the series is seen in this volume too. Red Dagger shows up in Kamala’s playground. She celebrates Eid-ul-Azha. Kamala also runs away and finds out more people are supporting her and rooting for her than she thought. Captain Marvel makes an appearance and they patch up. In all, a fun installment. Can’t wait to read what happens next! Find my review of the previous volume here.

Screenshot_20180716-192316

3791575340116199

The Wilds #1 & 2 by Vita Ayala

So, the premise is good. The U.S. plays host to a plague that is slowly turning people into plants. The art is beautiful and the confrontations with those human-plant hybrids are adequately terrifying. Of course, there is a government conspiracy going on that I suppose we’ll find out in about in the next issues. But there seems to be something missing. Mostly though, I couldn’t bring myself to care for any of the characters. That means I dunno if I will be picking up the next in the series.

32777861

Moonshine, Vol. 1 by Brian Azzarello

A man who works for the mafia is sent to convince a rustic moonshine-maker. His boss wants to be the sole distributor of the amazing liquor. But when the poor guy reaches the place, strange things begin to happen. I liked the dark feel of the comic and the art too. Even so, like The Wilds, the something that would make me rip into the following issues eagerly isn’t there!

Screenshot_20180716-182343

Screenshot_20180716-182417

Screenshot_20180716-182857

12476058

Those Left Behind by Joss Whedon

The wittiness of the TV series is missing from the graphic novel. It was short and the end came abruptly. The artist translated the facial features of all characters with accuracy, except for Inara’s. She didn’t look right! I am still glad I bought this book because it came with an introduction by Nathan Fillion.

It seems I didn’t get much reading done in July and still managed to delay blogging about it. Shit happens! How was July for you?

review 2018-08-02 00:19
Okay
Cloak And Dagger (2018) #1 (of 6) - Dennis Hopeless,David Messina,Mahmud Asrar

Nothing earth shattering, at least not yet, so I won't be continuing with this.  I think I got this for free via Marvel because they're promoting the show; all I know is I redeemed my comics today and this showed up.

The art is average, and so is the storyline.   Add to that I prefer ongoing series to mini-series and I see no reason to continue.

review 2018-07-26 18:19
Loving this series
Champions (2016-) #22 - Jim Zub,Kevin Libranda,Stefano Caselli

But I don't really care about The Hulk's new look, or Iron Heart's new look.   That felt like a really forced scene, too, but it got better once they got a mission: to help a small African village with water issues, if I'm remembering correctly.

Very liberal, very open to diversity, this series talks about a lot of real world issues, couching them in fictional places and people to not target any one country or people in particular.   But I like that it does tackle real world issues with a good deal of thought given as to how to do so.