logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: meet-me-at-beachcomber-bay
Load new posts () and activity
Like Reblog
show activity (+)
review 2019-01-27 16:41
Enjoyable Contemporary Romance
Meet Me at Beachcomber Bay - Jill Mansell

I have to say that I really enjoyed this book. At first I hard cringed when I started reading and the premise was that one woman (Clem) had a meet-cute with a man who has now come back to her life in a surprising way. This leads Clem to faking a relationship with her best friend Ronan who has his own reasons for agreeing to go along with things. Clem's stepsister, Belle, doesn't know what is going on with Clem, but the two of them seem to be constantly battling each other with Belle refusing to let Clem get the upper hand. Since this is a Mansell book there are some other characters we follow too, Ronan's mother Josephine, a woman named Kate, and another woman named Marina.

I honestly loved Belle's story-line the most. It was beautifully done and I loved the ending that happened there. And I have to say, that I was glad that Belle confronted Clem about her behavior and things she said. I was hard cringing anytime these two characters had scenes together. Clem believed the worst in Belle and was nasty IMHO to Belle as much as Belle was rude and nasty to her. I do wonder how these two parents were not in this book and thought that was a bit odd that Clem's mother and Belle's stepfather were just absent through the majority of the book.

Ronan's story-line was my second favorite part of this book. I don't know how realistic it would really be in the end. But I smiled throughout it and loved it. Ronan was also very well developed which was a nice touch. I often find sometimes the men in contemporary romance novel's are not developed as much as the women.

Marina's story-line was really good and it gets slowly revealed. I am a bit sad though that she doesn't appear to get a HEA like the other characters.

Clem I kind of ho-hummed about. Besides her meet-cute I didn't find myself that engaged with the character. I also thought it was stupid she faked a relationship. I didn't get any sense of chemistry between her and the love interest at all. And I don't want to spoil it, but the love interest's story-line turned me off a bit. It didn't help that besides that he wasn't really in the story properly. We just hear about his past in a info dump, he appears a few times to make Clem uncomfortable and then love.

I loved the writing and did laugh a few times. When Clem and Ronan go off to show listings it seems as if every odd person in the world is trying to sell their places. The flow was really good between shifting narratives too. You know if you read a Mansell book there's going to be at least 6 people you are tracking, and Mansell does that very well.

The setting of St. Cary's sounds wonderful. The beach, the water, and the people sounded delightful. A good book to read during the winter months in Virginia.

The ending was a surprise (for one side character I had not thought that much of honestly) but we get to catch up with Belle, Clem, Ronan, and others. I was really happy seeing everyone's HEA.

review 2017-04-14 05:20
Meet Me at Beachcomber Bay - Jill Mansell

Clemency meets a man, Sam, on an airplane has a connection, wow, it's been a long time. They chat the whole time during the flight. Could it be? They land, meet again in baggage claim and she finds . . . he's married.

No, it can't be. Clemency moves on. She's a real estate broker and together with her boss, Ronan, they are one of the biggest agencies in St. Cary's. Another key character in the book is Clemency's stepsister, Belle. She is quite the charmer. If you recall the story Cinderella, think wicked stepsister, she is both of them, including their ego.

Three years after that fateful plane trip, Clemency gets a call from Belle. Her and her new boyfriend are moving to St. Cary's. Can Clemency show them some properties to possibly purchase? Guess who the new boyfriend is?

Oh yes, there is a huge plot twist, of course, after Ronan and Clemency (friends forever) become a couple.

Thanks Sourcebooks Landmark and Net Galley for allowing me to read and review this very entertaining book.

review 2017-03-31 14:37
Meet Me at Beachcomber Bay - Jill Mansell

A light and very summery read. Set in a small Cornish seaside town which is idyllic. Two step sisters, Belle and Clemency who make a vow never to encroach on eithers boyfriends, a vow which is hard to keep. It's a funny, crossed wires and misunderstandings kind of book, with no villains, or at least no proper ones. A happy, feel good story with nice, colourful characters - the sort of people you'd like to know yourself, the ones you could have fun with, rely on and fall in love with. Very entertaining, enjoyable, comical and romantic, not to mention a happy sigh at the end - perfect!

show activity (+)
review 2016-12-21 09:56
Meet Me at Beachcomber Bay - Jill Mansell

Clemency Price is settled in St Carys, her home town. Working as an estate agent she has a lovely set of friends. She can’t, however, forget the man she met three years ago. A man she couldn’t be with. She is therefore surprised to see him in St Carys, and broken-hearted to realise he is still unavailable. Trying to hide her feelings she ropes her friend and boss Ronan in to help. But Ronan is hiding heartache of his own and soon wires become very crossed.

Having recently re-discovered Jill Mansell’s novels I was thrilled when a copy of her latest novel arrived. I settled down with the book and was soon caught up with life in St Carys.

There are a host of charming characters. Clemency is a lovely character. Loving to her friends and family, good at her job as an estate agent but with strong morals that she maintains, even when it causes her heartache. Ronan is a Jack the Lad, having a reputation in town as a cheeky but charming lothario. It is a joy to read about his transformation as he comes to terms with the fact that he may have met his romantic match. The rapport between Clemency and Ronan was a delight to read, the banter between the two bringing laughter and humour to the pages. Belle is a perhaps more in depth character. Step sister to Clemency, the sibling rivalry is apparent and a point which does divide the sisters to some extent. She is more acerbic and less easy going but as the story progresses it becomes clear that a secret she has been keeping for a long time has affected her demeanour to a degree even she isn’t aware of.

I could often be heard chuckling to myself as I read this book, dashed through as it was with humour and light-hearted banter. I found myself racing through the book but also wanting to take my time so it wouldn’t be over too soon.

Jill Mansell has a wonderfully comforting style of writing. Her books are extremely engaging, drawing the reader in, filled with laughter and loveable characters, and story lines that are strong throughout the novels. Meet Me at Beachcomber Bay is no different and fans won’t be disappointed.

This is a warm and witty novel, packed full of wonderful characters. Perfect for a lazy summer’s day or a dark winter’s night. A lovely bit of escapism for a few hours. I’m looking forward to the next book from Jill Mansell soon.