logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: mer-folk
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-01-05 14:57
Hidden Folk: Strange Stories by C.M. Muller
Hidden Folk: Strange Stories - Marcia Muller

This is a collection of strange and creepy stories, some better than others.  Interesting and entertaining.

review 2018-12-22 16:19
Disappointed Me.
The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air) - Holly Black

I was so disappointed in this book, I really thought it was going to be such an awesome book, but that so wasn't the case. I will continue on in the series, because I love to give books another chance, especially if it's a start of a series. But if the wicked King also let's me down, I won't read the last one.

I really didn't care for any of the characters. Whenever I start to like Jude again, she goes and does something that makes me not like her again.

I have a love hate relationship with Cardan, his a bully but he also has times especially towards the end, that you can see that he does have a sensitive side to him.

I can't stand Jude's twin sister at all. The only character I really like a lot is Vivi.

I do love that it shows that fae have a vindictive personality. And they don't sugarcoat it. The ending is what makes me want to continue on with the series.

review 2018-12-14 20:54
[REVIEW] The Cruel Prince by Holly Black
The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air) - Holly Black
Holy hell. I need to pick up my jaw from the floor. This book is full of twist and turns, it zigs when you think it's going to zag and now I'm a jumble of emotions.

Reading progress notes

pg. 49 - Jeez, this bullying is anxiety-inducing. And also rage inducing for good measure.

pg. 97 - I am really tense right now.

pg. 148 - Jude is just asking for trouble and upping my anxiety. Also, I don’t trust Locke."

pg. 172 - My face throughout the chapter I just read: D:

pg. 200 - *jaw drops*

pg. 242 - I cannot believe this is happening but I like it...?

pg. 244 - THEY ARE KISSING. THEY ARE KISSING OMG. *FLAILS*

pg. 275 - OMG I DID NOT EXPECT THIS AND OMG WHAT IS HAPPENING

pg. 280 - Oh, Jude. Even I know that he's saving Cardan out of interest.

pg. 283 - WHAT IS HAPPENING!?
review 2018-08-19 15:34
The Cruel Prince
The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air) - Holly Black

A dark whimsical read full of deception in a bizarre and interesting way. This book honestly lived up to the hype and I need the sequel as soon as possible.

Faerie might be beautiful, but its beauty is like a golden stag’s carcass, crawling with maggots beneath his hide, ready to burst.

Some Fae are wicked at best. They lure you to the woods with their otherworldly beauty and manipulate your thoughts that will drive you to your own doom. The Cruel Prince rightly depicted what Fae folks really are like to humans: cruel, manipulative, and has a never-ending lust for power.

This book is not your typical story about a damsel being reluctantly brought to faerie land just to fall in love with a powerful Fae and get brainwashed to desire to become one herself. Holly Black offered us a different twist to this Fae-centered books stereotype. She owned the genre and I like how she made her female main character embrace her humanity and show the Fae folk who they are dealing with. Wow, I just mentioned a lot of  fae  there.

Devouring this book in one sitting was an easy task considering the combined world of magic and its problematic politics. Moreover, the characters sparked my interest since there’s just no way of saying who the bad guys really are. Every character has their own mask and to wait for the finale until they take it off was “letting out the breath I didn’t know I had been holding” worth it.

Holly’s writing style is so easy to grasp, no over the top descriptions, and no unnecessary fillers. Her words alone made me feel a lot of emotions like sympathizing with Balekin – their murdering Fae dad (even though he don’t deserve it) – feel like I want to carry Oak in my arms and pinch his cute cheeks. It also made me feel like I’m Jude myself and whenever she was bullied by Cardan and his posse, I just want to punch them in their faces and give that so-called cruel prince the worst wedgie of his life.

I also love how Holly just carelessly tossed in the bloodshed in the story. Seriously, I can hear her evil laughing while writing these parts. Well it did contribute a lot to the eerie feeling of the book overall.

I can give this book 5 stars straight up but I would like to ponder on these cons I noticed hours after my fangirling died down a wee bit.

•• We only witnessed mind control and no other form of magic. No – don’t count the magical horse the three sisters flew with into the human world.

•• Why the hell did Jude and Cardan kissed at the Court of Shadows when the entire book tells us they mutually oathe each other.

•• The Court of Shadows also known as Prince Dain’s assassins could have been given a better group name and aliases. Like don’t expect me to be serious when I read The Roach or The Ghost or especially The Bomb in every fight scenes.

•• Jude and Taryn should have had this connection that can’t just be broken by a cheeky playboy named Locke and his human chess scheme.

(spoiler show)

In spite of these cons, the enjoyment I experienced in this journey wasn’t affected even the slightest and I am very eager to have my hands on The Wicked King once it’s released. I want to find out what Cardan means with that last sentence in the book – about when his 1 year contract with Jude ends. I also want to know if Cardan really is the entitled Wicked King or maybe sweet innocent Oak is? Oh beats me.

review 2018-08-08 18:39
Review (rating-4)

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

“You really do want me,” I say, close enough to  feel the warmth of his breath as it hitches.

“And you hate it.”

I actually regret that I didn't read this jewel of a book sooner. But I am equally sad about the wait for the second book in the series. I don't know how I'm going to read the second one after the long wait knowing that I'll have to do the same for the third. Uhh!

So now about the book-

It starts with the murder of Jude's parents and then focuses on her life with the Faerie and how she is a mortal who inwardly wishes to be a Fae. Jude is a headstrong, extremely brave and a wise character. Her personality may seem a bit uh uncaring, aloof but she's not. Apparently, with lots of wits she becomes the main player of the royal game. She has the upper hand to make somebody king from the two characters and she makes a decision. I knew whom it would be but I was still shocked by how it all unraveled. And I was amazed. Truly.

The cruel prince or Prince Cardan is like the parasite who sucks blood out of Jude everyday. He doesn't, actually. But that defines the relation he has with Jude.

And every evil has another story which nobody knows. Cardan has one too. I was shocked and filled with hate for the persons responsible for the evil surrounding his life. He hates mortals and that means he hates Jude and her twin too. Well, of course he hated Jude but heart knows different.  Cardan is a complex character whom I loved from the start. His mood swings, his cruelness, his wiseness were too much for my heart to hate him.

For her sisters- I hate Taryn with whole of my heart.

As for Vivi, I really liked her alot. And I loved Oak too.

Eagerly waiting for the next book!

I'd love to discuss books with y'all. And to connect with passionate readers like myself would be my pleasure. Feel free to suggest books so I can devour them and later review them too. Here are some of the genres that I love:

Young Adult Fantasy, Young Adult Fiction, Romance, General Fiction, Fantasy and some more. I'll be posting some more of my reviews and opinions for other books.

For contact: diazcara25@gmail.com