logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: metaphors
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-02-23 20:37
I Love My Hair by Natasha Tarpley
I Love My Hair! - Natasha Tarpley

I really enjoyed reading I Love My Hair by Natasha Tarpley. This book serves a greater purpose than just a good story. It teaches young girls (and even boys) to love their hair (or any other characteristic) and its uniqueness. Specifically, this book tackles the long history of young, black girls disliking their hair because it is "different" from everyone else hair. This book highlights all the great things her hair can do and all the different ways she can wear it as well as the heritage and culture of her hair. I also love the use of positive similes and metaphors when comparing the main character's hair to objects.

I would read this book to the class, pausing to discuss with students the ways her mom does her hair, the different styles she wears her hair in (and ask the student what their favorite hairstyles are), and feelings towards her hair (compared to the student's feeling towards their own hair), etc. After reading I would ask students to write a paragraph that connects the book to themselves or their own hair. I would ask them to use evidence from the text to support their connection.

Lexile Measure: 670L

show activity (+)
review 2017-03-28 17:20
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! - Dr. Seuss

I love this book and movie! It definitely gets everyone in the holiday spirit so I would use it around the Christmas season. The Lexile level is 510L. I would use this in a 2nd or 3rd grade classroom. I would first read the book aloud to the class so that they know the story. Then we would sing the song together while they all have copies of the lyrics. Then we would go through the lyrics and find the similes and metaphors and write them on a T chart. There are so many fun things to do with How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

review 2016-04-06 00:00
Illness as Metaphor & Aids and Its Metaphors
Illness as Metaphor & Aids and Its Metap... Illness as Metaphor & Aids and Its Metaphors - Susan Sontag --Illness as Metaphor

--AIDS and Its Metaphors
show activity (+)
review SPOILER ALERT! 2013-10-16 23:13
Read October 16, 2013
The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd

I really was not thrilled with this one.  It's hard to put my finger on the reasons.  I have a problem with happily-ever-after.  This book ended the way I wanted it to end, but it just felt flat to me.  OK, so Daddy Dearest walks away and leaves her with the Daughters of Mary.  Good!  But isn't that just another abandonment?  How does Daddy Dearest running away from his problems make her happy, while Dear Departed Mother of the Decade's departure nearly destroyed her?  It doesn't make sense.  Nor does the explanation of Dear Departed Mother's "tragic" death.

What this book could have used most was a plot.  Or at the very least an outline.  Tell me where we're going, and I'll figure it out.  Take these fabulous characters somewhere, anywhere.  Show me their journey.  Show me their growth.  I don't know, maybe I would have been more satisfied with a cliffhanger.

Finally, we have the bees.  The damn bees and the damn honey, and none of it fits.  Is Ms. Monk Kidd trying to tell me the hive found its queen?  Is she trying to tell me that life has to sting a bit before you get to the sweet stuff?  Lord love a duck, is this author ever in love with her metaphor!!!  I love analyzing books for the message - I can spend hours, even days, digesting and dissecting the message - but this one lost me.

review 2013-09-14 00:00
Metaphors We Live By - George Lakoff,Mark Johnson Profound implications for education, I think. Lakoff and Johnson explain how we make sense of the world.