logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: mistborn-the-final-empire
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2020-03-23 17:57
Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson

Syno

Following on the heels of Sanderson’s successful launch into the YA market with the New York Times bestselling Rithmatist comes Mistborn, now repackaged for the teen audience Once, a hero rose to save the world. He failed. For a thousand years since, the world has been a wasteland of ash and mist ruled by the immortal emperor known as the Lord Ruler. Every revolt has failed miserably. Yet somehow, hope survives. Hope that dares to dream of ending the empire and defeating the Lord Ruler. A new kind of uprising is being planned—one that depends on the cunning of a brilliant criminal mastermind and the determination of an unlikely heroine: a teenage street urchin named Vin. Once, a hero rose to save the world and failed. This time, can a young heroine succeed?

My Thoughts

OMG. This book was freaking fantastic. I loved every minute of it and even though it was a long book. I didn’t want it to end. The beginning while great also was a bit rocky, because we get a lot of info dumping but even with that I still enjoyed it, the info dumping was done right so it didn’t feel so overwhelming and boring. We do get multiple POV throughput the book, but mainly Vin. Speaking of Vin she was my favorite and I liked that she grew so much throughout the book, but in a manner that it seemed realistic, she learned and grew a lot but still made mistakes and had her doubts. She never gave up in believing in people, which made her also vulnerable. I also loved Kelsier, even though there were moments I wasn’t sure if we can trust him or not. Sazed was another one I loved and a great mystery about him. I think even after this first book that there is much more to him as we are lead to believe. Elend was another one I loved way too much, we never know if he is on the bad site or not till the end and that made it so much more interesting. I loved the magic system in this world and I never had one like this before. It was different (for me) and took a bit to understand but I really enjoyed it. The story is fast paced and never gets boring and has many surprises on the way. We get a little of everything, action, magic, humor and even romance a bit , but also betrayal and heartbreak come a long. I did shed a few tears throughout some because I laughed too hard others not so much. I’m utterly in love with this series and its characters and I cannot wait to get to book two. I did listen to the audio book and it was fantastic and greatly narrated, I highly recommend this book and the audio if you like fantasy. I rate it a full 5★

goodreads-badge-add-plus

Available NOW

Amazon*** B&N *** Kobo

Snoopydoo sigi

review 2019-07-18 03:58
Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) by Brandon Sanderson
Mistborn: The Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson

For my rambles on Mistborn, go to Bridget's Book Ramblings (3.25/5 rounded up to 3.5/5 on here)

review 2019-04-29 00:22
Mistborn: The Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson

I debated between four and five stars, but decided on five because this book is so COOL.

Intricate world-building. The main magical power system in the book is fully fleshed out. Furthermore, while it takes just a little while to get going, once it does, it just doesn't stop. There are so many wonderful plot twists.

I'm very much looking forward to the second book!

review 2018-04-10 00:00
Mistborn: The Final Empire
Mistborn: The Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson The Final Empire follows a girl named Vin, an orphan street urchin who discovers she has the powers of a Mistborn, and Kelsier, a Mistborn half-skaa who wants to overthrow the Lord Ruler.

I read this over the span of two days, faster than I usually do, probably because it's pretty fast-paced and it has a lot of action, political intrigue, and even some drama. I even stayed up until 1:30 am this morning just to finish it, something I only did before for The Great Hunt.

I liked The Final Empire. It's full of amazing moments where characters get to show off their powers and also slower moments where we get to know the characters better. I liked the characters in this story even if we don't get to see some of them aren't really very well-rounded. The writing is more straightforward, less flowery and lyrical but it does its job to show us the world and the characters.

The worldbuilding and magic system were fantastic. You can see that a lot of effort was put into making a believable world and a magic system that works in a rational way. Allomancy and Feruchemy have to be the most original magic systems I've encountered thus far. I can vividly picture the world in my mind along with the characters and their actions.

Some of the characters felt a bit flat and some scenes seemed to go by too quickly (hence the 4-star rating) but overall, the book was enjoyable Vin's character development is amazing and I loved seeing her become a powerful Mistborn, learn political intrigue, and how to trust her friends. Vin definitely has trust issues and I liked seeing her try to trust others more. Also, I'm going to admit to being a sap and loving Disney-style romances featuring good boys who love books (I don't like bad boys). That said, that particular subplot wasn't really the highlight of the story and I appreciate it. As much as I missed reading books with romance, books that have the plot take a backseat to romance wasn't cutting it.

The highlight of this story, for me, is the skaa rebellion. It goes by pretty fast and in some parts, I was confused by how quickly it went by, but I guess I can understand it. There's a lot of political stuff going on, more than I'm used to but I love it. I actually prefer my epic fantasy to have well-thought-out political systems. If I could see a functional legal system backed by logic and political theory, I'd have my perfect book. Still, this one is good and I liked seeing Vin and Kelsier try to navigate the politics and machinations of the noble families in order to succeed. I'll admit though, I think that Kelsier's actions were very drastic by the end and the way he does it was pretty surprising. suppose I could understand somewhat since he seemed to be setting it up for some time. There were some twists in this book that can be easy to predict, but it doesn't really matter to me. I don't usually care so much about twists than I do about an interesting plot.

The way the story concludes would almost make you think that this book is standalone. There are two more books in the series that might answer my questions and let me spend more time with characters I've grown to love. I'll have to wait before reading it though since I might still need more time to fully digest the story. Still, I liked The Final Empire and I will definitely be continuing with the series. Will I read more books in the Cosmere? Yes.

This book is highly recommended for fantasy fans, people who like worldbuilding and magic systems, and people trying to get into adult fantasy after young adult fantasy.

This review is also at The Bookworm Daydreamer
show activity (+)
review 2017-05-15 19:06
#34 - The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
The Final Empire. Mistborn Book One - Brandon Sanderson

The Final Empire is the first book in the Mistborn trilogy (which is then followed by another trilogy taking place years after the original one).

I finally decided to read a Brandon Sanderson book and it was the best idea ever! I have heard nothing but great things about the Mistborn trilogy and I wanted to discover this famous world.

The magic system is certainly the most unique thing about this book. It is well developed and really complex, it took me some time to get familiar with it as it was not really easy to understand. The author really created something particular and put a lot of thoughts into it.

The characters are just great. Vin is not your typical YA heroin, she is still the chosen one, who seems to be unique, the only one of her kind and things like that, but she is not annoying as I think many young female characters can be. She experiences teenager trouble, but it is not such an important part of the book, while still being present. The author really managed to create a character that felt real (despite the fact that has magical powers, of course). I also really love her ideals; it takes her some time to understand what she wants, but once she does, she will do anything to get it. The other characters are also well developed, all having their own motives that you sometimes don’t get until the end of the book.

I also love the dynamics of the story. Sometimes months passed between events; which seems logical and makes the story more real. Most of the books I read are taking place in a few months time making the story a bit more unreal because it is going too fast. It was not the case in The Final Empire and I felt it refreshing.

The plot was full of twists. There were many things I did not see coming.

The writing was also refreshing. Brandon Sanderson really has his own way of writing and it was beautiful but still easy to follow.

It had been a long time since I had read such an amazing fantasy book. I definitely recommend this series to everyone who has not read it yet. It is massive, but it is so great you will just keep on reading.