logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: murder
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-07-22 22:46
The Poacher's Son
The Poacher's Son - Paul Doiron

Mike Bowditch is a young game warden and also the son of a poacher. He hadn't seen his dad for two years when he got a message from him on his answering machine. Later that day he learns that two men, one a police officer, were gunned down after a heated public meeting in the same area where his dad lives. Then, he gets word that his dad has been arrested and may be charged for the crime. He decides to put his job on the line and go help his dad. His dad is a brawler and has known his fair share of trouble with the law but Mike doesn't believe he would kill someone, especially a police officer.

This story is different than the books I usually read in that it is set in the forests of Maine. I was interested in the story but it is definitely slower paced than what I am used to. At one point it almost lost me but I ended up getting hooked into the story. I couldn't be sure which way the story would end. Afterward, I found myself thinking about different details still. I enjoyed the descriptions of the area and can imagine how peaceful it would be even though I've never been there. I think it was a nice change from the usual crime mystery and I'm going to get the next book in this series and see what happens next.

review 2017-07-17 05:45
Book Tour: Open Season for Murder by Lauren Carr
Open Season for Murder (A Mac Faraday Mystery) (Volume 10) - Lauren Carr

Open season for Murder, Get you involved with a cold case from the beginning. You get brought in with a mysterious phone call to Mac. Who is the caller? We get all kinds of killers. We also get deaths at every turn. Why the Diablo ball?

Who wants Carlyle dead or anyone else for that matter. Brian Galestar, comes about and his he as suspects to Lindsey York death? Who wanted Lindsey York dead and Jasmine Simpson? Reva Saint Clair is around as well. Who killed Aston Piedmont?

You go for a ride with Mac and David on an adventure. We sure find out who good at solving mysteries around Spencer Maryland. Lauren Carr plots are good and you are invested throughout the book.  There's a story inside the main story. You get captive into the story and you will not want to leave these charters from this series or any of Lauren Carr mysteries.

Lauren Carr is one talented writer. She brings you along to find out who the killer is. One thing I love about her mysteries is that you never know who the murderer is? I have read a few of her books already and reviewed a few of them. You are welcome to read my reviews that are part of this audiobook palooza. My reviews are Cancelled Vows, A Fine Year for Murder, Killer in the Band, The Murders at Astaire Castle, Candidate for Murder, 3 Days to Forever, Kill and Run, Old Love Die Hard, 12 To Murder.

Source: nrcbooks.blogspot.com/2017/07/book-tour-open-season-for-murder.html
review 2017-07-17 03:37
Don't Cry Now
Don't Cry Now - Joy Fielding

It was so hard for me to get into this book because the last couple books I read (different series/author) were so good and this one just wasn't the same level of writing. I've had this book sitting around for so long I was just determined to read it and pass it along.

The story itself wasn't bad but the main character seemed to do a lot of dumb things. I found this especially irritating given that she is a teacher and supposedly a very good one who cares about her students. Many things that happened in the book were not very realistic to me - like the police looking through the dead woman's room with the supposed prime suspects there too and touching everything. There were parts later on in the book that I liked though. I'm glad I read it but it doesn't make me want to read more by this author.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-07-16 12:34
Game, Set and Murder
Game, Set and Murder: A Mystery For Di Costello - Elizabeth Flynn

Petar Belic raised his racquet high in the air, his body arched back in the service motion recognizable to thousands of tennis fans around the world. His long, evenly tanned legs stretched upwards taking his feet off the ground. The sun glinted on his gold bracelet as his arm came over his head. His opponent had just enough time to register that it was going to be a smash as the racquet bore down. A nanosecond later the ball whizzed past him in a fluorescent yellow blur, crashed onto the service line and bounced out of court.

Oh, this book had so much promise...and then it caught the net a few times and slowly double-faulted its way to end. No tie break, no deuce, it just fizzled out.

I'm sorry, I just had to. It's the Wimbledon finals weekend and this book was just so lame. The only other thing more disappointing this morning was that my tv (or rather my freesat box) kicked the bucket - which means I have an hour to find a new one or watch the men's final at either a friends or at the tennis club...

Back to the book: the writing was lame, there was no atmosphere, and the D.I. dealing with the case was new in the job and pandered to constant patronising by her colleagues. Blergh.

What was the point that killed it off completely was the pretty huge mistake at the very end of the book where the solution is presented.

Stealing a diabetic's insulin will not give them a hypo. Pretty much the reverse actually. Diabetic coma induced by skyrocketing bloodsugar levels perhaps, but not a hypo.

review 2017-07-15 01:01
Murder Past Due by Miranda James
Murder Past Due - Miranda James

Series: Cat in the Stacks #1

A well-known author of crime thrillers is murdered in his hometown and Charlie Harris, a librarian with a Maine coon cat called Diesel, feels compelled to help the cops investigate. The murder mystery aspect was okay although definitely still finding its sea legs, but Diesel is what makes me want to continue this series.

I read this for booklikes-opoly square Main Street 10 “Read a book that takes place in a small town in the USA”. This murder mystery takes place in a small college town, so with 294 pages it nets me another $6 for my bank balance. My new total is $220. I’ve landed on this square since the shake-up, but since I didn’t complete a book for it I’m not applying the frequent lander multiplier.