logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: murder
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-11-14 20:51
I came away with questions
Murder in the Courthouse: A Hailey Dean ... Murder in the Courthouse: A Hailey Dean Mystery (The Hailey Dean Series) - Nancy Grace

While the story was a good one, there were areas where you knew that the deaths were all connected, but you couldn't be certain of how. I really wanted to know how she got her things back so many times when she walked away leaving them someplace or in one case where she is forced in front of a bus, her items go flying out into the street, but no where does it say that they survived being flung out (possibly run over), it just mentions that they were left or flung. I know silly things, but given that they had information on them for the court case and Ms. Grace makes a point of saying how everything for the case is on her Ipad and Iphone and her papers.

The book also seemed a bit autobiographical at times and also fictional at others. I was interested in this book compared to the movie version that had been shown on Hallmark. This book has some like the movie, but not much. I know that I will probably read the other books by Nancy Grace.

review 2017-11-13 16:49
Death of a Squire
Death of a Squire - Maureen Ash

Back again - after a long break! - with some of the books I've been reading. And, yes, I'm still into the medieval period ...

(The second Templar Knight Mystery) Lincoln, autumn, 1200 AD

'He's nowt but a lad,' said Talli. 'Looks to be no more than fifteen or sixteen. And from the way he's been trussed, he didn't string himself up there. Why would anyone bring a youngster like that out here and hang him?'

'I don't know and I don't care,' Fulcher replied. 'I'm going to forget I ever saw him and if you two have any sense in your addled pates you'll do the same.'

Laden with their booty, the three men made haste down the track towards the stream that had been the destination of the deer thay had killed. In its water the poachers would place their steps until they were well away from the scene of their crime so that any dogs used to track them would lose their telltale scent and the smell of the deer's blood. Above them a slight breeze rattled the dry branches of the oak and the body swayed slightly, then moved a little more as the first of the crows landed on the bright thatch of hair that topped the corpse's head. Twisted under the noose, caught by the violence of the tightening rope, was the boy's cap, the colourful peacock's feather that had once jauntily adorned it now hanging crushed and bedraggled. As the crows began their feast, it was loosened and fluttered slowly to the ground.

This is the second book in the series and I haven't read the first, but that wasn't a problem. You are soon put in the picture. An ex-Templar, Sir Bascot de Marins, is living at Lincoln Castle. He had already solved one murder for the castellan, Lady Nicolaa, (the first book) and now when another nysterious death occurs she turns to him again.

A young man, a squire, has been hanged deep in the forest. He was trussed up, so it cannot have been suicide. Nicolaa's husband, the Sheriff, a rather stupid man interested only in hunting who leaves all his more boring duties to her, wants to blame it on poachers or outlaws, easy scapegoats, but the boy's dagger and fine clothing were not stolen, so Nicolaa and de Marins think that unlikely.

It turns out that the squire, Hubert de Tornay, was an unpleasant boy. No one could stand him and no one is sorry he is dead. There are many potential suspects. What worries Nicolaa, though, is that the boy had apparently been claiming to know details of a conspiracy against the king. In the year 1200, "Bad King John" was still new to the throne and many felt that the king should really be John's nephew Arthur, a boy who lived in France. What was worse, King John himself was on his way to Lincoln to meet there with King William of Scotland. The murderer had to be found before King John's arrival for John was a suspicious and vindictive man.

The squire was also a notorious woman-chaser, so there are girls involved. He had had a rendez-vous in the forest with a village girl that night. But he had been seen riding into the forest with a woman from the city up behind him on the horse. Or had he? Were the villagers lying?

De Matins questions a charcoal burner and his sons who live in that part of the forest. The next day they are brutally murdered. Then his servant, Gianni, disappears – kidnapped. Gianni was a starving street-kid de Marins had picked on his travels, and had now grown very fond of. Was the kidnapper also the murderer of the squire and the charcoal-burner's family?

It is exciting and well-written, and seems historically accurate. I am certainly going to read the first book in the series, The Alehouse Murders, as soon as I can get hold of a copy. I also want to know what will happen in the third book. At the end of this one, de Marins is faced with a difficult choice: to return to the Order of the Templars and full obedience, or to renounce all his ties with them and cease to call himself a Templar. What will he do?

review 2017-11-12 22:34
A good cozy read
Murder at the Mansion - Janet Finsilver

Renovations are going on over at the Redwood Cove B&B, so Kelly's boss has her putting up guest in a Victorian mansion he has since it's whale watching season. Kelly's in control of keeping track of the antique items but then she discovers a body and things take a different turn.

Kelly is not real interested in looking for a killer but she hates that they think that Stevie could be blamed since they already think he might have been the one stealing things from the mansion, as well as one other person. So she does a little snooping and that leads her to finding some interesting things along the way. Someone doesn't want her snooping and tries to get rid of her so now the cops are trying to keep her safe as they try and catch the killer.

Second book in the Kelly Jackson mysteries and I really enjoyed it. Kelly just wants to run her B&B but right now that is not happening so she tries to make the most of it. She doesn't really want to get involved in a murder investigation but at the same time she can't help but be a little curious about things going on. It has a great bunch of secondary characters and one of my favorites is the little boy Tommy, he is adorable.

Overall, I think this is a fun series and if you are a fan of cozies you should check out this series!!

review 2017-11-12 16:27
My First Agatha Christie's Read
Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) - Agatha Christie

I have a confession to make - this is actually my first Agatha Christie's book. I have never read any of her books and even though I have heard of her, I never once touched her books. So what compels me to read Murder on the Orient Express? Hype perhaps of the upcoming movie? A few months back my favorite bookstore was promoting her works? I can't be sure of which but in the end, I picked it up last August and finally read it this month. It took me a while but eventually, I finished it.

While I never realize this is part of a Hercule Poirot series, it had a setting and a premise that is intriguing. A man dies one night on a train and M. Poirot were entrusted to investigate to find out who is the real murderer. Divided into three parts, the flow of the story for me is well-thought of. There was the introduction of characters, then the depth of the investigation of getting to know each character that were in the train and the deduction through guessing came to the conclusion that is so impossible, it feels real in the end. Every thing else falls into place.

Was I impress? Not really. It started off as a simple murder-mystery where everyone can be a suspect and through interrogation and investigation on the train, a detective (as the greatest of all) make a guess deductions through human emotions and body language to be able to discover truth and lies. I don't know that on this day and age it would work but since it was first published in 1934, its acceptable. Still, I love how its written and there are words I never thought of I can learn from. It's a good book but not really that great to a point that makes it the greatest detective book ever written, even though I heard so much about it. I would recommend to anyone to read this first if anyone wants to read Agatha Christie's stories but I am unsure whether I would continue to read any Hercule Poirot's crime-solving series in the near future.

review 2017-11-12 04:40
Book Tour: Twofer Murder
Twofer Murder - Lauren Carr

Twofer Murder is a book done well. If you think one murder mystery was not enough for you. You will get two in this book. Laura, has now outdone herself with this one as you will see if you decide to get it and read.

The boys go off fishing together.  When they arrive they meet some new people in Scary, WV. They take two dogs with them. Tristan, Mac, Joshua, Murphy, JJ, David and two dogs are all together for a weekend.

Jessica, Archie, Sarah, Dallas, goes to the writer conference for that same weekend with a spider named Monique in Pennsylvania. Cameron joins the girls on their weekend when the Black Diamond shows up and Dallas calls David.

There appears some murder galore in this book.  There are three victims. Will the boys solve the murders. There are twist and turns throughout the book. Will the girls solve their murders.  Also, the book goes from one murder to the other. There are a total of thirteen parts all together.

Who could be the killers in the two murders, that take place in two different states. Tristan got his only little mystery as well.  I love this book. There are some many mysteries going on that I believe you can get caught up in the book. Will Tristan find his missing cheese balls. Who has taken, Tristian's cheese balls. Will Tristan find the culprit of his missing cheese balls?

Sarah as her own little adventures. To find out what all these adventures are you will need find out by reading the book.

Pancha Ganapati: Read a book whose cover has one of the 5 colors of the holiday: red, blue, green, orange, or yellow