logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: murder
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-05-28 03:30
The Murder Game by Julie Apple
The Murder Game - Catherine McKenzie writing as Julie Apple

What a great story!
I love the whole six degrees of separation in this story. I love how the author takes us on this courtroom drama ride, and how you think you know but you end up learning something more. I love the whole concept of this story!
The characters, Julian, Lily, Jonathan and Meredith, have such a great friendship, though tumultuous at times too. The chemistry between them has them coming back to each other, and us coming back to read more about them.
The mystery is so solid. I've seen that show, How To Get Away With Murder, and I can declare factually that I much prefer this twisty tale more. Catherine McKenzie, or rather, Julie Apple, sure has a way with words and wrapping a reader into the story.
Fans, grab this one fast.
If you haven't read any of her books, this is a great place to start!

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2017/05/the-murder-game-by-julie-apple-11.html
review 2017-05-22 20:23
Review Grand Prize: Murder
Grand Prize: Murder! (A Country Gift Shop Cozy Mystery series, Book 2) - Vivian Conroy

Vicky Simmons is back in Grand Prize Murder, the second book in the Country Gift Shop series. Author Bella Brookes has come to Glen Cove on a book tour to kick off a scavenger hunt to publicize her newest novel. When a man is found murdered next to an item linked to Bella, Vicky is certain that Bella is being framed and starts her own investigation. Hampered by a reporter with an agenda and trying to keep her promise to Cash to stay out of his investigations, Vicky sets out to unravel tightly held secrets to find a killer.

Light and entertaining, Grand Prize Murder combines colorful characters with a twisty, puzzling plot that kept me glued to the book. This is the second book in the Country Gift Shop series (can be read as a standalone, but I definitely recommend reading the first one in this series!) and I loved returning to Glen Cove and Vicky's adorable gift shop. What really sets this apart from other cozies is that the clues are little teasers that pulled me in and kept me reading. I would've loved it if the scavenger hunt was a bigger part of the story, it would've been a great way to introduce more of Glen Cove, giving me a better sense of the place. I liked that Bella was herself a cozy mystery author, sort of like a truth-meets-fiction moment, and I loved how how the scavenger plot was a cozy mystery within a cozy mystery. Cute! And I loved the little plot twist at the end of the book, it really capped off a great mystery.

Overall, a great mystery and a cute little series and highly recommended for cozy mystery fans.

review 2017-05-15 21:34
A Not So Merry Christmas Murder, Meredith Potts
A Not So Merry Christmas Murder (Hope Ha... A Not So Merry Christmas Murder (Hope Hadley Cozy Mystery Series Book 5) - Meredith Potts

I enjoyed this but not as much as some of her others. I voluntarily chose to review this. I've given this cozy a 4*. What bothered me the most was the way she left her boyfriend flapping in the wind, while she went investigating with her brother the cop. At what point does the boyfriend takes a stand or something. Anyway, just my opinion.

review 2017-05-14 02:26
A NEW PROSPECT by Wayne Zurl
A New Prospect - Wayne Zurl
  I enjoyed this book and finished it in less than a day. I wanted to know who dunnit. I thought it was someone else until Sam said he figured it out then I knew I was wrong.

I like Sam and his crew. They make a good team which they need as too many others seem to be working against them. I enjoyed the story. I had fun reading this one.
review 2017-05-07 17:34
The Murder of Mary Russell by Laurie R. King
The Murder of Mary Russell - Laurie R. King

Welp, I'm all caught up on this series now, as this is the most recently published book. I've been working on catching up on some favorite series in the lasts couple of months, & I've made progress on Three Pines (one remaining book), Sebastian St. Cyr (two remaining books), and Ruth Galloway (caught up).

I'm not sure how many more Mary Russell books are likely to be written - it feels a bit like Ms. King is coming to the end of the natural lifespan of the books. As the series matures, I admit to be terrified at the prospect that she will, sooner or later, kill off Holmes.

However, I will continue reading them as long as she continues writing them.

This book is, of course centered around "The Murder of Mary Russell." I don't want to spoil anything for those of you who haven't read it, but

Mary Russell doesn't actually die. Gasp. I know.

(spoiler show)

It focuses us on Mrs. Hudson, the landlady from 221B Baker Street and surrogate mother to Mary Russell. In this book, Laurie King takes one of the stories from the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, IV. Gloria Scott, and she unravels it like an old sweater being remade, reknitting it with the same yarn, but in a pattern that reveals much more than the original, and that provides the backstory for Clara, nee Clarissa, Hudson. Much more than even The Moor, The Murder of Mary Russell goes back to the roots of Holmes and takes the interstices of the tale and fills them with detail and life. I had never read Gloria Scott, and when I read it after finishing this book, the weaving of the new story out of the old tale was fairly brilliant.

I don't think I've ever read the entire Holmes canon, and reading this reminds me anew that I need to do that sooner, rather than later.