logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: mystery-and-thriller
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-07-25 17:39
The Body in the Library
The Body in the Library - Agatha Christie

I´ve got to admit, I admire Miss Marple´s deductive skills. I wouldn´t be able to solve a single one of her cases (even if there were enough clues to work with). Sitting in a corner, knitting and listening and watching closely what´s going on around her, that how she does it. Yet with this book, I was puzzled by the ending. Not only because I didn´t see that ending coming, but mainly because I can´t believe how someone can come up with such an intricate murder plot in the first place. The murder is a criminal mastermind, but not nearly smart enought to outwit Miss Marple.

Overall I enjoyed this mystery with it´s twist and turns, but it´s not my favorite Christie, mainly because I was a tad bored by the beginning of the novel.

review 2017-07-14 15:10
Mistress of the Art of Death
Mistress of the Art of Death - Ariana Franklin

As it turns out I couldn´t endure this book any longer (I´ve read 355 pages and after that I started skim reading).

It´s Cambridge in the year 1171, a child has been murdered, other children have been abducted and the local Jews are being accused of the crimes. Since the Jews are important for the Kings purse, he recruits an Italian investigator and a female doctor, who is skilled in studying corpses, to find out who the killer is.

This mystery started out perfectly okay. I liked the historical backdrop, there were a lot of interesting and suspicious characters and I was even suprised that the book had a gritty feel to it.

But at the 300 page mark the author decided to turn this novel into a sappy romance story. Don´t get me wrong, I don´t have anything against romance (if it is handled well), but I don´t want it to be the most important thing in the latter half of a mystery novel. Somehow the author lost her focus, writing one of the most anticlimatic mystery thrillers I have read in a very long time. In the end I was neither shocked who the killer was, nor did I care.

And may I just say that I really disliked the main character Adelia towards the end. She is depicted as a headstrong, independent woman and she has made a personal vow to herself that she never is going to marry or get into a relationsship with a man in the name of science. And then, snap, a dream hunk of a man appears and Adelia suffers from severe dementia when it comes to her own convictions.

She even has extramarital sex with him, eventhough he insists on marrying her before anything is going to happen.

(spoiler show)

Seriously, I hated the whole romance storyline.

Another series I can cross of my list. What a disappointment.

I´ve read this for Booklikes-opoly square Adventureland 26 and this book is tagged as "thriller" on goodreads.

Page Count: 502 pages (but I´m going to count the 355 pages I have actually read)

Money earned: $6.00

review 2017-07-09 20:34
Magpie Murder
Magpie Murders - Anthony Horowitz

Honestly, this novel is a mess of a book.

Editor Samantha Ryeland reads a book by her most famous client, mystery writer Alan Convay. The first part of this novel consists of the mystery novel, which Alan Convay has written. But the last part of this fictitious mystery novel is missing and at this point we get thrown into Samanthas narrative, who is trying to find the missing chapters and who has to deal with a whole lot of other problems along the way.

Basically this book is two stories in one and let me be upfront, I didn´t enjoy both stories. Alan Convays novel is incredibly boring and when I finally got invested in the narrative of this story, the novel abruptly ends, because the final chapters are missing.

And then I had to endure Samantha´s narrative, an unsympathetic character who turns into an amateur sleuth for no reason at all. Samantha just rubbed me the wrong way with her pathetic whining about her relationsship and she is really full of herself. Towards the end of the novel she comes to the conclusion that only an editor could have solved the mystery that has been laid out in the present narrative. At that point I felt the need to punch her in the face.

Both stories get incredibly bogged down by incessant info-dumping. Whether it being the looks of a person, the interior of a house, the never-ending references to Agatha Christie, the author felt the need to provide the reader with too much information. This book could have been shorter and it could have needed a better editor.

I listened to the audiobook of Magpie Murders and both narrators, Samantha Bond and Allan Corduner, did a good job with the narration. They were the reason I didn´t DNF the book, but I´m still glad that I got it from my local library via Overdrive.

review 2017-07-07 19:08
The Lincoln Lawyer
The Lincoln Lawyer - Michael Connelly

Wow, this was such a great read and I enjoyed every minute of it. I´m not going into the plot of the story, but this book has everything that a good thriller should have.

It´s full of suspense, there are twist and turns, the bad guy is positively spine chilling, the main character is a likeable guy, eventhough he is a cynic and his attitude towards his work is morally grey, and the story will take you to unexpected places.

I haven´t been bored for a single minute while reading The Lincoln Lawyer and it has been one entertaining piece of literature. I have to read more of Connelly´s books in the future.

This book has been my 4th of July pick for the Booklikes-opoly. The main character Mick Haller is an attorney in California.

Page count: 448 pages

Money earned: $10.00

review 2017-07-04 19:57
The Seven Dials Mystery
The Seven Dials Mystery - Agatha Christie

I have to admit, I´m not the biggest fan of Agatha Christies conspiracy / secret society novels. They have an odd feeling to them and I´m never sure if I should take these books seriously or not.

The same goes for The Seven Dials Mystery. I wasn´t impressed by the story, I thought the ending to be a lackluster one and I didn´t like the initial chapters of the book. I thought the group of young Englisch upperclass people to be insufferable.

Despite all that the mystery has still been a whole lot of fun to read, simply because the character of Bundle and her witty banter with all the other characters (but especially with her father) were highly enjoyable.

A fun read, but not the best Christie out there.

I have read this book for the Booklikes-opoly for the Square Frontierland 4. The word "river" can be spelled by the letters of the title of the book.

Page count: 375 pages