logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: mystery-and-thriller
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-05-21 16:43
The Daughter of TIme
The Daughter of Time - Josephine Tey

Scotland Yard Inspector Alan Grant lies in the hospital with a broken leg and he is utterly bored. Since Grant has the ability to judge a character from a persons look, he takes a look at a photograph of Richard III, who is supposed to have killed his two nephews, the princes in the towers. He immediately becomes interested in the mystery of the past. Has Richard III. really commited the crime?

I didn´t know anything about this book when I started reading it and I have to admit, this novel took me by suprise. I have never read a book before, where someone is solving a mystery by doing extensive research in books. And it is not even boring. I felt utterly compelled by this book the whole way through.

I have to admit, though, that I would have enjoyed this novel more if I would have known more of the Plantagenets and their history. Which means I will revisit this book as soon as I have brushed up on my historical knowledge.

I´ve read this book for the historical mystery square and it was a perfect read for this square.

Page count: 206 pages

Money earned: $3.00

review 2017-05-07 19:34
Poirot Investigates
Poirot Investigates - Agatha Christie

It seems I´m not a big fan of Agatha Christie´s short stories, since they are utterly forgettable and at least two of them didn´t make sense and I couldn´t be bothered to read them again.

The reason I give this collection a three star rating in the end is the witty banter relationsship between Poirot and Hastings. The more I read about Christies character (whether it being these two or Miss Marple), the more I love them.

review 2017-04-27 20:54
The 13 Problems
The Thirteen Problems - Agatha Christie

The first Miss Marple short story collection, in which a group of people, Miss Marple among them, decides to tell stories of crimes and mysteries to each other. Will the listeners be able to solve the mysteries?

It´s been really fun to read about Miss Marple and her exceptional ability to outwit all the other people in the room. However, I don´t think that Agatha Christie excels at writing short stories. They were fun and I liked reading them, but the stories in itself were not memorable. But it was really nice to be with Miss Marple again and I´m beginning to like the old gal.

(I was allowed to choose any book I want).

review 2017-04-20 19:19
The Big Sleep
The Big Sleep (Penguin Essentials) - Raymond Chandler

PI Philip Marlowe´s first case and he gets more than he has bargained for. Starting of with a case of blackmail, he suddenly has to deal with multiple homicides, gun-wielding thugs and crazy women.

I really enjoyed this book, even though I had some issues with it. I loved the atmosphere that Raymond Chandler is able to create with his prose. It´s one of these books where everything that´s been going on before my inner eye has been tinted in black and white - the true noir colors. Chandler has a wonderful way with words and I loved the snappy dialogue between the characters, who all are flawed in some way or another.

What I didn´t like about the book is the misogyny and homophobia that is on display throughout the whole book (but probably very true to the time that the story is set in). And the language was sometimes difficult to follow, because Chandler writes in the vernacular of the 1930s.

But overall it has been a great read and it won´t be my last bookish encounter with the moody noir private investigator Marlowe.

Book 2 of the Booklikes-opoly

Page Count: 251

Earned Money: $3.00

New Bank account: $26.00

review 2017-04-17 11:41
The Man in the Brown Suit
The Man in the Brown Suit - Agatha Christie

Anne Beddingfield longs for adventures and she gets her fair share of it when an oddly smelling man gets electrocuted on the rails of the subway. In Anne´s eyes a man in a brown suit behaves oddly around the body and in pursuit of said man, Anne has to go beyond the borders of England to solve the mystery behind the strange accident and the ominous man.

A story about murder and espionage, exotic locations, a great adventure and a nice little romance. This book has all the ingredients for a fun, fastpaced and entertaining read and I loved it.

The only thing I could complain about are Anne´s weird notions about her own gender:

"[...] But Papa always said that in the beginning men and women roamed the world together, equal in strenght - like lions and tigers-" [...] "They were nomadic, you see. It wasn´t till they settled down in communities, and women did one kind of thing and men another, that women got weak. And of course, underneath, one is still the same - one feels the same, I mean - and that is why women worship physical strenght in men: it´s what they once had and have lost."

It´s not enough to lessen my enjoyment of the book, but I couldn´t help but frown throughout her anthropological speeches.

Book 1 of the Booklikes-opoly.

Page count: 384 pages