logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: mystery-and-thriller
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-04-20 19:19
The Big Sleep
The Big Sleep (Penguin Essentials) - Raymond Chandler

PI Philip Marlowe´s first case and he gets more than he has bargained for. Starting of with a case of blackmail, he suddenly has to deal with multiple homicides, gun-wielding thugs and crazy women.

I really enjoyed this book, even though I had some issues with it. I loved the atmosphere that Raymond Chandler is able to create with his prose. It´s one of these books where everything that´s been going on before my inner eye has been tinted in black and white - the true noir colors. Chandler has a wonderful way with words and I loved the snappy dialogue between the characters, who all are flawed in some way or another.

What I didn´t like about the book is the misogyny and homophobia that is on display throughout the whole book (but probably very true to the time that the story is set in). And the language was sometimes difficult to follow, because Chandler writes in the vernacular of the 1930s.

But overall it has been a great read and it won´t be my last bookish encounter with the moody noir private investigator Marlowe.

Book 2 of the Booklikes-opoly

Page Count: 251

Earned Money: $3.00

New Bank account: $26.00

review 2017-04-17 11:41
The Man in the Brown Suit
The Man in the Brown Suit - Agatha Christie

Anne Beddingfield longs for adventures and she gets her fair share of it when an oddly smelling man gets electrocuted on the rails of the subway. In Anne´s eyes a man in a brown suit behaves oddly around the body and in pursuit of said man, Anne has to go beyond the borders of England to solve the mystery behind the strange accident and the ominous man.

A story about murder and espionage, exotic locations, a great adventure and a nice little romance. This book has all the ingredients for a fun, fastpaced and entertaining read and I loved it.

The only thing I could complain about are Anne´s weird notions about her own gender:

"[...] But Papa always said that in the beginning men and women roamed the world together, equal in strenght - like lions and tigers-" [...] "They were nomadic, you see. It wasn´t till they settled down in communities, and women did one kind of thing and men another, that women got weak. And of course, underneath, one is still the same - one feels the same, I mean - and that is why women worship physical strenght in men: it´s what they once had and have lost."

It´s not enough to lessen my enjoyment of the book, but I couldn´t help but frown throughout her anthropological speeches.

Book 1 of the Booklikes-opoly.

Page count: 384 pages

Earned money: $3.00

New Bank account: $23.00

review 2017-04-14 15:16
The Murder on the Links
The Murder on the Links - Agatha Christie

Monsieur Renaulds life is in danger and he asks desperately for Poirots help. Alongside his sideckick Hastings he ventures to France, but upon his arrivel Monsieur Renauld has been murdered. Poirots "grey little cells" are needed once more.

I really liked this second book in the Poirot series. The mystery took its twist and turns and I was really surprised by the end of the book, simply because I didn´t see it coming.

The more Poirot books I read, the more I grow fond of the characters. Poirot is such a charming, odd and funny man and he might be pompous at times, but he is a genuinly good soul. I have to admit, though, that I like Poirot more when he is with Hastings instead of being on his own. There is something paternal in his manners towards Hastings, that makes him a more likeable person.

Hastings grated on my nerves at the beginning of the book, because he more or less drooled over every young woman he has laid his eyes on. As a consequence he makes some pretty stupid decisions and I didn´t like how gullible his character has been written in the beginning of the book. However, towards the end of the book I really took a liking to Hastings and when he makes an appearance in other books, I guess I will be less annoyed by him.

review 2017-02-05 16:06
The Blank Wall
The Blank Wall - Elisabeth Sanxay Holding

The Blank Wall tells the story of Lucia Holley, a suburban housewife in 1940s America. Her 17 year old daughter falls in love with a considerably older man and one morning Lucia finds this man in her boathouse, dead. She decides to protect her family by dumping the body in a nearby swamp and from this point on Lucia´s life begins to unravel.

I really enjoyed this suspense novel about a mother, who is willing to do everything to protect her family. The discovery of the body is only the beginning of her problems and it´s been fascinating to see how every new turn of the story increases the physical and emotional strain on that woman.

Elisabeth Sanxay Holding writing is very descriptive. Think of 1940s black and white movies like Hitchcoks "Rebecca" and you might imagine how I felt while reading this book. I couldn´t put it down and I would have devoured this novel in one sitting if I would have had the time for it.

If you´re a fan of suspense novels with a classic feel to it (I felt reminiscent of novels by Patricia Highsmith), I highly recommend The Blank Wall.

review 2016-11-13 18:33
Broken Monsters
Broken Monsters - Lauren Beukes

A prime example how a otherwise decent three star book gets ruined by a ridiculous ending.

I was intrigued by the twisted murder mystery. A body, half boy, half deer, is found and I expected a compelling thriller. But the story turns into a weird horror-mystery-thriller-mix with a central message regarding social media that I didn´t care about and ultimately has been lost on me. The descriptions of derelict Detroit are pretty good, though.