logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: mystery-and-thriller
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-24 16:26
Six Stories
Six Stories: A Thriller - Matt Wesolowski

Six Stories is a really great mystery. Admittedly, the actual mystery hasn´t been anything special and I had a hunch about the ending. Based on the story alone I wouldn´t have given this book such a high rating.

The reason why this book worked so wonderfully is the style in which it is written. The book is told by means of a podcast, which delves into the death of a 15 year old teenage boy twenty years prior to the airing of the podcast. Each chapter (podcast-episode) focuses on a person, whose has been with the victim on the time of his death and Matt Wesolowski slowly reveals the depths of teenage group dynamic throughout his novel.

The narration of the mystery kept me glued to the pages, desperate to know what would happen next. And the ambigious ending has been great and suited the tone of the novel perfectly.

Free friday read #1

Page count: 225 pages

review 2017-06-22 20:40
Murder at the Brightwell
Murder at the Brightwell - Ashley Weaver

Murder at the Brightwell is the first book in the Amory Ames series and I really enjoyed this novel. I enjoyed it so much that I would have started the second book right away if I would have access to it.

Admittedly the actual mystery was the weakest part of the story. It was written well enough but it lacked that certain kind of finesse and trickiness that for example an Agatha Christie novel possess.

But I loved the 1930s setting in an Englisch hotel and above all the two main characters, who are absolutely endearing. I almost never root for characters, but these two made me root for them all the way through the book. And they are the reason why I would like to read the next book immediately, because I want to know what happens next in their lives.

This book has been tagged as a cozy mystery on goodreads.

Page count: 325 pages

review 2017-06-19 20:00
Confessions
Confessions - Kanae Minato,Stephen Snyder

Yuko resigns from her job as a teacher after har daughter has supposedly died from an accident. During her last lecture, she confronts her pupils with the truth. It wasn´t an accident and two of the pupils in her class are responsible for the death of her little girl.

This is only the beginning of the novel and a dark and twisted revenge story unfolds. Each chapter is told from a different persons perspective and every time I thought I knew where the story was heading, it took a completely different direction.

I enjoyed the feeling of strangeness and alienation throughout the novel. The culture and the people are completely different to my own European upbringing and the way Kanae Minato describes the characters is creepy and eery, yet she manages to make her characters human in a disturbing way. I constantly asked myself who is telling the truth and which character is the most responsible one for all that has happened.

It´s a rather unsettling read but a captivating one as well. I couldn´t put this book down once I have started it. And I have a soft spot for Japanese mystery and crime novels and the atmosphere that these books are able to create.

I´ve read this book for the Booklikes-opoly. It´s a mystery / thriller novel and it starts with a C.

review 2017-06-17 12:13
The Circular Staircase
The Circular Staircase - Mary Roberts Rinehart

I flew through the last 60% of this mystery. Written in 1908 the novel didn´t feel dated and it´s acually been an awful lot of fun to read this book, especially since the main character has a wonderfully dry humour and a whole lot of the other characters are suffering from severe cases of superstition. And I liked the British feel of it, so it took me completely by surprise when I realized half way through the book that the story is actually is set in America.

The plot may be a little bit too out there and there are too many mysteries and riddles at once for it being a believable scenario, but Mary Roberts Rinehart has managed to write a satisfactory ending so I can live with that. And I have a hard time believing what happened in the end:

I cannot believe that a upper lip mustache and a bad hair cut can be such perfect disguise. I would like to believe a clever woman like Rachel would be able to recognize that Alex and Jack are the same person. Despite having seen him only for a short amount of time before everything went down the drain.

(spoiler show)

This book has been written by an author that has been born before 1955.

Page count: 362 pages

review 2017-06-04 19:08
The Dry
The Dry - Jane Harper

Federal Agent Aaron Falk doesn´t have fond memories of his hometown Kiewarra. Yet he comes back to attend the funeral of his best friend Luke and his family. Luke is supposed to have killed his family with a shotgun before committing suicide himself and yet the local police officer doubts this. Aaron ends up helping the officer investigating the case and the longer he stays in Kiewarra, the more he gets haunted by his own past.

I really loved this book, from the setting of the Australian small town, hit hard by an everlasting drought and heat wave, to the characters, who were realistically developed and felt like real people. The fact that this story could have happened in real life is something I really appreciate about this book, since a lot of crime novels are too far out there for my taste.

And the very first chapter has to be one of the best first chapters I have ever read. Jane Harper sets the tone of the novel in this first chapter wonderfully and I got immediately hooked.

It may not be the most original mystery out there, but it´s been a great and engrossing read. Highly recommended for every mystery reader.

I´ve read this book for the square "Frontierland 2" and people get shot in this book. And the police officers know how to handle a gun.

Page Count: 342 pages