logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: mystery
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-08-22 03:47
The Miss Silver Mysteries: Grey Mask
The Miss Silver Mysteries: Grey Mask, The Case Is Closed, and Lonesome Road - Patricia Wentworth

GREY MASK: 3.5*

I adore Golden Age mysteries. If it’s got a detective in it and a flapper on the cover, I am predisposed to like it. Consequently, I think I’m more forgiving of them than I otherwise might be. Take Grey Mask, for instance. Some of the characters and situations border on the absurd, some of the plot twists seem out of left field, and some of the villains are just short of mustache-twirling, but that’s all part of the charm for me.

Miss Silver herself almost failed to win me over until the very end. She pulls a bit of a Scarlet Pimpernel, having very little page time in her own debut novel. Once she’s introduced, she’s just some sort of Sherlockian investigatory oracle, popping in every now and then to drop little bombshells concerning the case and berate her client for his stubborn reticence whilst managing to make the knitting of baby clothes seem monstrously intimidating. If it hadn’t been for her performance in the final chapters, I can’t say I’d be so enthusiastic to continue the series. Now I’m very much looking forward to getting to know her better.

~I'll be updating this review as I read the other books in the collection.

review 2017-08-22 03:12
Heat Trap (The Plumber's Mate #3)
Heat Trap - J.L. Merrow

Oh geez, so much going on in this one!

I complained in my review for the last book that I thought Tom and Phil's relationship took a backseat. That was not the case here. The case Phil's working on effects them both personally and even brings out some secrets Phil has been hiding about himself. It really tests their relationship, bringing up old concerns, but doesn't go into melodrama territory.

The case is again well-done. Marianne, the new bartender at the Dyke, is running from her abusive ex-boyfriend, and Phil's asked to dig up dirt on him. The ex is a Douche-with-a-capital-D and annoyingly wily when it comes to the law.

And I can't believe Tom fell for Grant's line about being misunderstood. Com'n Tom, that's Abuser Manipulation 101.

(spoiler show)

This has some good and creepy twists to it and definitely doesn't end up anywhere I thought it would.

On the personal front, Tom's still trying to sort out how he feels about a family secret coming out in the previous book,

about his mother having an affair and his father not being his biological father,

(spoiler show)

so there are family tensions to deal with but again it avoids from going into melodramatic territory. I enjoyed seeing more of Cherry and Greg, and of course Gary and Darren are always a hoot. Oh, and I have to give a shout out to Arthur and Merlin too. They're just the coolest cats, if maybe a bit too quick with their affections. :D

review 2017-08-22 00:44
The Remains of the Dead
The Remains of the Dead - Wendy Roberts

Sadie Novak has a crazy job, and she can see ghosts as well. This makes her seem pretty strange to most people. And when a ghost tells her the person the police said murdered her didn't actually do it, things go south pretty quickly.

But with her employee, Zack, her sister, and her best friend she's going to do what she can to figure out the truth, even it that proves to be more dangerous than she originally thought.

This book was really interesting, and had me guessing throughout the whole thing. I enjoyed it a whole lot, I only wish that the heroine didn't act like she did at times. It was annoying when she denied what she could do, and was rude to someone else who was like her. That was frustrating, and annoyed me.

Other than that I still really enjoyed it, and I'm interesting in reading more and finding out more about her and her love interests.

review 2017-08-21 23:05
Murder on the Orient Express (audiobook)
Murder on the Orient Express: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Audio) - Agatha Christie,Dan Stevens

An excellent audio version of a Christie classic. It would also work well for the "Locked room" category for the Halloween bingo.

Previous update:

21 %

review 2017-08-21 21:06
Artemis by Andy Weir

__________R E V I E W__________

★★★★★

It's been a long time since I've read a book I laughed so hard with. Jazz's humor was so identifiable for me. I enjoyed this book so much, I was saddened when I ran out of words. This is what I like to call an awesome read.

There is so much that makes this book worth the five stars I'm giving it; the writing (of course), the storytelling, the characters, the world, the easy to follow story, the comedy, the drama, and the INTENSE last few chapters that kept me on the edge of my seat.

This was the first book I've read of Andy Weir, and I honest to fuck don't know why I've waited this long. Needless to say, after this novel, I've added every single book he's written to my TBR pile.

__________B O O K__D E T A I L S_________

T I T L E: Artemis

A U T H O R: Andy Weir

P U B L I S H E R: Crown Publishing

P U B L I S H--D A T E: November 14, 2017

I S B N: 9780553448122

Sci-fi, Mystery, Fantasy, Thriller

The bestselling author of The Martian returns with an irresistible new near-future thriller--a heist story set on the moon.

Jazz Bashara is a criminal.

Well, sort of. Life on Artemis, the first and only city on the moon, is tough if you're not a rich tourist or an eccentric billionaire. So smuggling in the occasional harmless bit of contraband barely counts, right? Not when you've got debts to pay and your job as a porter barely covers the rent.

Everything changes when Jazz sees the chance to commit the perfect crime, with a reward too lucrative to turn down. But pulling off the impossible is just the start of her problems, as she learns that she's stepped square into a conspiracy for control of Artemis itself—and that now, her only chance at survival lies in a gambit even riskier than the first.

AMAZON * BARNES & NOBLE * GOODREADS

*I received an advanced copy of this via NetGalley in exchange for a fair review*

Source: wordgurgle.blogspot.com