logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: mystery
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-03-28 02:59
Single Malt Murder by Melinda Mullet
Single Malt Murder: A Whisky Business Mystery - Melinda Mullet

When Abigail Logan's Uncle Ben dies and leaves her a whiskey distillery, the world traveled photographer is at a lost in what to do with a whiskey distillery?! With her best friend and whiskey expert Patrick and her wheaten terrier Liam in tow. She goes to see what her Uncle Ben's life was like in the small Scottish Highlands village and this old distillery. Even before she can set eyes on the place, she starts getting odd and strange threats. Thinking it was just a bit of misogyny on a woman running a whiskey distillery, that thought is blow outta the water when a dead body of an employee is found dead in one of the vat. Now Abi is trying to find out who is trying to close down the distillery and untangle everyone's hidden motives..

Finding a new cozy mystery series that catches you right at the start is like finding a new favorite dish or drink? I was quickly wrapped up in the world Melinda Mullet created in Single Malt Muder.

I enjoyed the cast of characters, in Abi you have someone whose witness and seen much through the lens of her camera. This gives her an different perspective with people and places. This is a huge strength that helps her with all the clues thrown her way. Abi is in no way some perfect person. She can be hard-headed and a bit blind to those around her. Much like her Uncle Ben and his love for the distillery, something she has to overcome in her jealousy of her only family member, and see how much Ben wanted her to be a part of. The rest of the cast of characters are slowly touch upon but nothing to concrete which I think is an opening for the rest of the series.

Abi does have a future suitor in the work (maybe) and I did like the interaction between the two that starts off pretty rocky and ends up with a great understanding of one another and a little bit more?

I enjoyed the mystery of the story, when you think it was going one way, the clues would point another direction and while I had my suspicion on who was behind it, I was still surprised when it all came together in the end.
 Along with the distillery, the village is very rich with characters and even more places to explore, I can't wait to see more from this series!

review 2017-03-28 00:15
Wine of Violence by Priscilla Royal
Wine of Violence: A Medieval Mystery #1: An Historical Mystery (Medieval Mysteries) - Priscilla Royal

Series: Eleanor of Tyndal Medieval Mystery #1

I liked the idea of this novel, but something about it didn’t really work for me. I liked Eleanor and Thomas and the rest of the characters, but the writing seemed a bit clumsy. It just didn’t flow all that well, and I found the first-person POV chapters for Eleanor juxtaposed with third-person POV chapters for Thomas weird. The mystery was only so-so. I’m not sure I’ll pick up the next one.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-03-27 22:55
Arthur and Sherlock
Arthur and Sherlock: Conan Doyle and the Creation of Holmes - Michael Sims

Interestingly informative book about Arthur Conan Doyle's creation of the Sherlock Holmes character, drawing from childhood inspirations (perhaps Dr. Watson was named after someone that had attended a school here or for the name of this other person there) and his adult life - specifically, the practice of doctors at the University of Edinburgh, notably, Dr. Joseph Bell, using physical clues to 'deduce' facts about their patients. A lot of comparisons are rightfully drawn between Dr. Bell and Sherlock Holmes, including the emphasis that while the 'science of deduction' seemed magical, "such assessments required educated scrutiny but not second sight."

The book also goes into the history and increasing popularity of the 'science of deduction' and pokes at the fact that deduction is the wrong word entirely for the line of logic that Sherlock Holmes uses. The history and influence of the crime genre in literature, going from sensationalism to thriller and eventually leading to series featured around singular detective characters, is also examined. A lot of name-dropping happens for books and authors that I had barely or never heard of, or the books that I knew them to be famous for were not the ones that the 19th century reader knew well.

Overall, it was well-researched, but the chronology was a bit skewed and the writing tended to end on a tangent and pick up on a completely different topic's tangent from a chapter ago. I did not read it all in one shot so it did not bother me.

review 2017-03-27 21:15
One Was Lost - Natalie D. Richards

♪♫My Pick For Book Theme Song♫♪

Going Under by Evanescence  --this is for…you-know-who…ya know the one who shall remain a mystery…

♫Blurring and stirring the truth and the lies
So I don't know what's real and what's not
Always confusing the thoughts in my head
So I can't trust myself anymore

Book Title:  One Was Lost

Author:  Natalie D Richards

Series:  Stand-Alone

Genre:  YA, Mystery

Source:  E-Book (via hoopla)

Add to Goodreads

My Thoughts

A fast paced, suspenseful mystery, that's not without it's flaws.  But, overall I found this nail bitingly intense and hard to put down.  As long as you're not expecting literary perfection, and you enjoy YA Suspense/Mysteries this is a thrilling read.  Seriously, I just kept waiting for the banjo...

Ratings Breakdown

Plot:  3.8/5

Characters:  3.8/5

The Feels:  4.5/5

Addictiveness:  4.5/5

Theme:  4/5

Flow:  3.2/5 (disjointed at times)

Backdrop (World Building):  4/5

Originality:  3/5

Book Cover:  5/5

Ending:  4/5  Cliffhanger:  Nope

Will I read more from this Author?  I might…

OVERALL RATING: 4/5 STARS or B+

review 2017-03-27 15:10
Treasure in Paradise (Tj Jensen Paradise Lake Mystery #7) by Kathi Daley
Treasure in Paradise (A Tj Jensen Mystery) (Volume 7) - Kathi Daley

I have read other books by Kathi Daley and other books in this series. I really like Kathi's writing style and love the characters. I really like that these books can be read as stand alones. Like I said I have read other books in the series but when I picked them or this one up I did not really need the full back story to keep up with the book. There are a few references to other books but they are explained so you are not lost. I like how these are mysteries with a touch of romance. There is very little colorful words and no sex in this book and the others of her's I have read. I don't mind sex and cussing but these books just don't need it to make for an interesting read.

In this book Tj takes her family of 2 young sisters, Grand Pa, Doc a family friend, Kyle her best friend, 4 cats and 3 dogs from Arizona to Gull Island on the east coast for the summer to help a family friend who has had a stoke by overseeing renovations to his resort.

As they arrive the first thing they discover is a dead body in the attic. Tj who has a nose for investigating takes it upon herself to figure out who killed the man in the attic. She is also trying to sword off the efforts of a big corporation who is trying to buy the resort and turn it into a mega resort.

I love the feel of Gull Island that Kathi gives. Sounds like a wonderful place to go spend some down time. It is small town at its finest. Every one knows everyone and sounds like it would be a great lace for a stress free vacation, minus the dead body of course. The story moves along nicely it bounces between TJ's investigation and family life. Which lends a sweetness to an otherwise terrible murder mystery.