logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: mystery
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-10-24 08:04
Last Marine Standing (Heroes #2) by R.J. Scott
Last Marine Standing - R.J. Scott

Last Marine Standing starts off 10 years ago, when Samuel Larson was a young fourteen, being rescued from a horrific event. Fast forward, and you find out that Samuel Larson is none other than Aiden's friend, Sam. And he is about to go walkabout to find the four marines who saved him so many years ago. What he finds is more than he bargained for, with two of them dead, and the other two being hunted down. Sam finds himself in the thick of it all, with no real idea of what's going on, because Mac can't talk about it without being classified as a traitor to his country.

This is a fast-paced story that can be read as a standalone. Viktor and Aiden make an appearance or two, but nothing that would interrupt the enjoyment of this book. Personally, I loved it when they made an appearance, as it always satisfies to see 'what happens next'!

Sam and Mac have the attraction there, but circumstances as such prevent anything apart from hot and heavy going on. Still, you can always make time

review 2017-10-24 07:51
A Reason To Stay (Heroes #1) by R.J. Scott
A Reason To Stay - R.J. Scott

In a slight change to R.J. Scott's writing style, A Reason to Stay is a mystery first and foremost, with romance coming in second. Now, don't get me wrong, there is romance here. Viktor and Aiden have known each other for years, and definitely have a history between them - with Viktor being the one who leaves every time. Aiden is the one who stays behind, nursing a broken heart, and determined that it won't happen again. However, when Viktor's nephew gets hurt, Viktor is pulled back home, to everyone he left behind, and becomes neck-deep in intrigue and mystery.

With characters and situations given from the Sanctuary series, you get an idea of what might happen, if Viktor stops being such an arse. Instead, he focuses on protecting his nephew, even if it means going against what everyone says, including others in his family. I have to say though, I'm not sure if kudos deserve to be given to Aiden or not! lol The first time Viktor left, put it down to youth. The second time, painful. I don't know if I would have given him a third time!!! However, Aiden did, and it becomes a gripping part of the story.

There were no editing or grammatical errors that disrupted my reading flow. The story is fast-paced, with plenty of characters and situations to keep your attention. I loved the epilogue, that gives you a hint of what happened next. I'm hoping to catch up with these two in the next book in this series, although I'm not sure if they are all standalones. Definitely recommended by me.

* A copy of this book was provided to me with no requirements for a review. I voluntarily read this book, and the comments here are my honest opinion. *

Merissa

Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

show activity (+)
review 2017-10-24 04:33
How I Lost You
How I Lost You: A Novel - Jenny Blackhur... How I Lost You: A Novel - Jenny Blackhurst
I received this book via NetGalley to give an honest review.

Man I was pulled into this story and it was hard for me to stop reading. A mother's worst nightmare happens to Susan and you just can't help but to read to find out if there will be justice.

Susan has been in a Institute for killing her newborn son, yet she doesn't fully remember doing it just that she woke up with him dead.
She has felt guilt ever since then and has pushed everyone away. She is starting a new life, with a new place, new name, just everything is new. She wants to fly under the radar so no one should know who she is exactly. Yet when she ends up getting a picture of a young boy who could be her child it opens up a secret that has been going on for a long time. How truly well do you know someone if you think you have your life in order?
That is the question that Susan has to figure out because what she uncovers is all connected in one way or another to the death of her son. We see how Susan doesn't give up trying to get the answers to what happened along with finding out who is sending her things to do with her son in the mail.

We go back and forth between Susan in the present day to a group of boys in the past and it all leads us to an amazing ending. I loved how the plot was a steady pace and how I was easily pulled into the story line. I can not imagine what Susan went through four years ago, she is a strong character. As far as characters go I felt that they were done really good and the situations they were in really shaped them.
review 2017-10-24 03:44
The Rebuilding Year (The Rebuilding Year #1) (Audiobook)
The Rebuilding Year - Kaje Harper,Kaje Harper,Gomez Pugh

My review for the book is here (spoilers in the link, so beware):

So this'll just be for the narration.

I was introduced to Gomez Pugh with the PsyCop audios, like nearly most others were, and I loved them! With the exception of Jacob's voice, he was perfection for that series and for Vic, so I had high hopes when I saw this book would be narrated by him. I know he's done other books besides PsyCop but this was my first experience of him doing new material. And it did not live up to expectations.

Technically, he's as good as ever. He's clear, precise and easy to follow, and there's no confusion about POV. Performance wise, he doesn't differentiate between voices very much, and for the first half of the book at least he's doing Jacob's voice for John. He finally settles into it and gives John his own voice, and it does improve from there. But this isn't the performance I've come to expect from him from PsyCop.

A good solid reading, but somewhat lacking performance = 3 stars from me.

show activity (+)
review 2017-10-23 19:13
Double Nope
Woman No. 17 - Edan Lepucki

This was torture. I don't even know what to say except I did DNF it the other day at the 26 percent mark when I realized I loathed the two leads (Lady and Esther though she is called S (S for Snake) by Lady's younger son.

I felt like I was drunk while reading. I saw words on the page and nothing made sense. I hated the POV of Lady and I hated the POV of S. They are both two sides of the same messed up coin. I finally called it quits on page 75 of 311 of my e-book copy when I realized that I was rooting for a serial killer or some horrible accident to take them out.

I think the biggest issue I had was that Lady and S are not very nice. They are both doing a terrible job of being human beings. Lady is annoyed by her young son and that her current husband is a good guy. That's all I got really. She is trying to write a book and so filled with artistic spirit she can't be a mom as well as write at the same time. And I get that. You really can't work with a little person hanging off of you. But instead of taking her estranged husband up on his wanting to watch their son she's all no. You shall not pass. It's like she is afraid that even though she doesn't want to be bothered with their son, she doesn't want him to have his father.

And Lady has an older son that is mute. I was intrigued for five seconds there and just lost any interest in him as a character. It seems that the author is without an ounce of subtlety showing that something may go down between S and him.

S is messed up. The end.

Sometimes I can get into a book showing terrible people (Holden Caulfield anyone) but after a while I find it boring to read. It's just the writer showing you how terrible they are again and again and you waiting for other characters to say screw this and be done with them.

The writing is not pulling me in at all. I am just annoyed this was touted as a thriller and so far there is none of that happening. Also the darkly comic part is not coming through at all.