logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: mystery
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-03-19 22:47

WTF Did I Just Listen To
Stand-Alone

With Audio Performed by Brittany Pressley

๏ ๏ ๏  My Thoughts ๏ ๏ ๏

This is such a compelling read/listen.  I didn't want to stop listening, not even to go sightseeing, I was on Vacay while listening to this; it was that good.  Audio narration isn't perfect, a little breathy...but I totally adjusted to it.  Pressley does a variety of voices that made this all the more compelling.

What starts out as a crime scene investigation quickly morphs into so much more...with a bleak apocalyptic/dystopian feel that has time-travel, suspense, and is also wholly mysterious and altogether mind-blowing all at the same time.  If I tried to explain the science (time-travel aspect) part of this to someone else, I don't think they would ever totally get it...mostly because I probably leave out crucial information while doing so.  But, also because I can't fully grasp it completely but I did grasp enough...enough to enjoy it immensely.  Yeah...one of those kinds of a story for me, actually a lot of the Sci-Fi that I read is like that for me.

This book already has talk of a movie being made and I can't wait to see it, maybe it will clear up that ending for me...while I mostly get what went down I do have one little question about it.  I only had one other issue and that was the awkward sex scene, I believe that guys should not write sex scenes in their books...because I've never encountered one that wasn't awkward yet.

๏ ๏ ๏  MY RATING ๏ ๏ ๏

Theme or Tone⇝  5/5
Flow (Writing Style)⇝  4.3/5
Backdrop (World Building)⇝  4.5/5
Originality⇝  5/5
Ending⇝  4.3/5 Cliffhanger⇝ Nah...
Book Cover⇝ Awesome
Setting⇝ West Virginia and Pennsylvania mostly, I think...with multiple timelines.
Source⇝ Audiobook (Library)

๏ ๏ ๏ Links ๏ ๏ ๏

Kindle eBook | Audio

Add to Goodreads | Add to Booklikes

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

review 2019-03-19 21:33
When the Music's Over (Robinson)
When the Music's Over: An Inspector Banks Novel (Inspector Banks Novels) - Peter Robinson

You could probably say I give Peter Robinson a bit of an advantage amongst mystery writers because I always start any of his books expecting to enjoy it thoroughly. But to tell the truth, I've never been disappointed, and that's the case again with "When the Music's Over".

I wish that the split plot (2 cases half a century apart of sexual assault of young girls, with subsequent loss of life; linked only by theme) seemed less universal and at the same time less timely. But it would be a rather oblivious mystery author who did not at least consider dealing with the issues so very much front of mind with the #MeToo movement.

Banks has accepted promotion and is solely investigating the cold case of rape by a prominent entertainer - shades of Jimmy Savile, I suppose. That one has all sorts of political and internal police implications - past cover-ups and bribery in the force - and Banks is struggling for the first time with being the establishment instead of the righteous rebel. Of course he stays abreast of the modern-day case, which involves grooming and racial tensions between working-class white people and the local Pakistani enclave, and that enables us to see the expected interactions with the other main characters we've come to know and like.

I very much appreciated the expanded role for Banks' team, especially the female members of it. Annie Cabbot and Gerry Masterson take on the modern rape/murder, while Winsome Jackman accompanies Banks (and gets much opportunity to roll her eyes) as Banks tracks down witness memories relating to the now elderly entertainer.

Though the actual perpetrators of the individual crimes get their just deserts in various ways, Robinson doesn't leave us with an easy feeling at the end, showing us instead, heading out into danger, yet another potential young victim of the longstanding blight on society that not even Banks and his team can hope to eradicate. It chimed well with the feeling of anger and sadness that so many of us, women and men, have been feeling lately.

Recommended, as always.

review 2019-03-19 19:55
Review: While You Sleep
While You Sleep - Stephanie Merritt

I received a copy from Netgalley.

This one came to me in one of those “read it now for the first 200 members” emails. I love gothic thrillers when they’re movies, particularly ones with a Scottish setting. So why not give it a go? I really liked what I read enough to buy a finished hardback.

Not my usual type of read, but this one caught my interest right away. I was intrigued with the mystery surrounding the main character, Zoe. She seemed quite cold and standoffish. She comes to a remote Scottish island to rent a manor with a foreboding location and gloomy history looking to get away from a tragedy and a failing marriage. The writing is delicious and the whole thing has a delightfully creepy and murky atmosphere to it.

Like with any small town, I would imagine, a community where people have known each other forever, Zoe is an anomaly and the subject of curiosity. The locals obviously know a lot more about the manor she is renting than they do. A strange history and the sight of recent traumatic event as well. Nosy neighbours galore, and unwanted attention from creepy men, Zoe does her best to keep to herself and deal with her own drama.

Doesn’t happen, of course. She finds herself drawn into the mysteries of the manor, the history and starts to get to know some of the locals pretty well. There was a surprising and well written erotic element to the mystery side of things as well. The characters were well fleshed out and believable,  even the unlikeable ones.

There were quite a few surprising twists, one or two of them I worked out, but some of them managed to surprise me. The tension was exceptionally well built throughout. The imagery was really vivid and the writing made it very easy to picture what was going on. I would love to see this book made into a movie.

Highly recommended and really, really good.

Definitely an author I will read again.

Thank you to Netgalley and HarperCollins UK, HarperFiction for the review copy.

review 2019-03-19 17:54

Book #1 Rating: ☆4.5☆ Book #2 Rating: ☆4☆
Series Rating:  ☆4.3☆

With Audio Performed by Jorjeanna Marie

๏ ๏ ๏  My Thoughts ๏ ๏ ๏

A fitting ending or a possible non-ending, since at the end of the Audiobook the Author says she is quite possibly going to write another Deanna Madden book at some point in time.  Of which I will gladly listen to.  Jorjeanna Marie is the voice of Deanna Madden, after 3 books of doing so.  I still wish the series had a male narrator for the male parts of the book, though.

The enigmatic Deanna Madden is someone who is unlike any other character I've ever read about.  Her backstory is so tragic, her present so darkly titillating, yet totally compelling...and her possible future, hopefully, involves a little more healing than we've seen so far from her.

๏ ๏ ๏  MY RATING ๏ ๏ ๏

Backdrop (World Building)⇝  5/5
Originality⇝  5/5
Ending⇝  4.2/5 Cliffhanger⇝
๏ ๏ ๏
Book Cover⇝ All the covers are perfect in this Series.
Setting⇝ Tulsa, OK
Source⇝ Audiobook (Library)

๏ ๏ ๏ Links ๏ ๏ ๏

Kindle eBookAudio

Add to GoodreadsAdd to Booklikes

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

review 2019-03-19 14:11
Review ~ Decent read
Vampire Dead-tective - Mac Flynn

Book source ~ Free on Amazon

Liz Stokes came across a guy in the bushes one night when she was heading home. No, he wasn’t stalking her or choking the chicken. Actually, he was beat up pretty good, so she took him home with her. Luckily Timothy Hamilton was a good guy and not some serial killer. They ended up being roommates and occasional lovers until the day he was murdered. And that’s when the life as she knows it gets tossed out on its ass and her new unbelievable, are you fucking kidding me, life begins.

With the murder of Timothy, Liz inherits his weird ring and his even weirder business partner and is suddenly thrown into a paranormal life she had zero idea existed. The learning curve is steep and Liz isn’t buying it even though she’s seeing this shit with her own two eyes. So, while I like Liz and her snarky attitude, I really can’t stand how dumb she is at times. Vincent is an asshole. But he’s supposed to be so it’s all good. Lol

The story could use a bit more editing, but it’s a great idea with a decent execution. For this first book there’s really only three main characters: Liz, Vincent, and some strange guy named Frederick “Bat” Batholomew. There is a Big Bad in the form of Lord William Ruthven, but I don’t yet know who or what he is or what he wants. I suspect he’ll play a bigger role in the next books. The story is suspenseful, humorous, and intriguing, so I’m looking forward to reading more.

Source: imavoraciousreader.blogspot.com/2019/03/vampire-dead-tective.html