logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: mystery
Load new posts () and activity
review 2021-02-02 15:20
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder - Joanne Fluke
I love culinary mysteries!
This was a good story with solid characters. The protagonist, Hannah, is a likable lady with a good head on her shoulders. I like the dynamics with her and the other characters. You know right off the hop that she is a no-nonsense kind of girl though. She gets wrapped up in something that I often wondered why she was involved. Why didn't the Sherriff tell her to butt out... impeding investigation and all that stuff? That frustrated me a little. There is no cop on Earth that will let a baker, sorry, cookie baker get involved and investigate a murder.
But I digress....
I still liked the whodunnit.
I also really liked the recipes. I even baked the Regency Ginger Crisps. They are amazing, F.Y.I!!
I look forward to continuing on with the series, and seeing what Hannah gets herself into next!

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2021/02/chocolate-chip-cookie-murder-by-joanne.html
review 2021-01-18 03:43
ASSAULTED CARAMEL by Amanda Flower
Assaulted Caramel (An Amish Candy Shop Mystery) - Amanda Flower

Bailey goes to visit her grandparents when she learns that her grandfather's health is failing. While there she learns of much she did not know about them. She also discovers the body of a man who wants to buy her grandparent's candy shop. With the whole family under suspicion of murder, she needs to find out who did it before one of them ends in prison.

I enjoyed this book. It sets up the series well. I liked Bailey. She puts her life on hold while helping out her grandparents. I liked that being with them in the Amish community brings her to question her choices in her English life. The story was good. I did not figure out the murderer until it was explained in the end.

I look forward to the rest of the series.

review 2021-01-10 00:52
THE GHOST AND THE HAUNTED MANSION by Cleo Coyle (AKA Alice Kimberly)
The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion - Alice Kimberly

Pen and Jack must travel back to Jack's time to find what is similar about one of his old cases to the current murder of the owner of Todd Mansion. With Seymour a prime suspect in the murder, it is up to them to save him.

I enjoyed this story. I always enjoy when Pen goes back to Jack's time. I love the 1940's. As Jack pushes her to find the connection between their cases and pushes her to develop more of her detecting skills, it's fun to watch her grow both as a person and a PI. There is humor as everyone mistakenly believe something is going on between her and Seymour.

For as many cozy mysteries as I have read I would think I would get who it was but until the end of the story I had no idea. Guess I'll never be a detective.

review 2021-01-06 00:45
A Pretty Deceit (Verity Kent, #4)
A Pretty Deceit - Anna Lee Huber

Aside from my subjective issues with the path Huber chose for these characters, I like this series; you could say I enjoy them in spite of myself.  But while this book was a 4 star read on the strength of its plot, it might have been a 4.5/5 star read if not for the weakness of the editing.

The narrative is much longer than it needed to be because Huber, with admirable motivation, spends a lot of time ruminating on the devastation wrought on both the soldiers who fought in WWI, and those left behind to cope in fear and anxiety.  She does bring light to many aspects of the horror that is war, especially the first world war, but she spends too much time doing it, and this is a murder mystery, after all.  I'm confident a lot of it could have been cut without losing the more important message, and the overall story would have been a lot better for it.

Still, the plot is a strong one, with aspects of scavenger and treasure hunting spicing up what would otherwise be an ordinary nemesis plot running parallel to a murder mystery.  I'm still kid enough to enjoy rhyming clues and secret codes, as well as the touch of cloak and dagger when used judiciously, and it is here.

As I opened the post with, I still don't like what Huber is doing with the characters; while there are no love triangles or quadrangles, she has two other men in love with Verity who are dedicated to uncovering the series' plot; there seems to be no plan for this to change and it's tiresome.  Luckily, the murder mysteries have so far made up for it.  Can't see that lasting much longer though.

review 2021-01-04 01:25
BURIED IN A BOOK by Lucy Arlington
Buried in a Book - Lucy Arlington

Lila is laid off from the local newspaper then lands a job at a literary agency where on her first day she is confronted with a body of a man who was chased out of the agency within an hour of Lila's arrival at the agency. Was it murder or something else?

I liked Lila. The agency has a cast of characters working at it. Their descriptions give a good picture of what each is like. Lila wants to know who the man is and who/what killed him so she decides to investigate no matter the cost to her. She also has a few possible romance partners. Her mother is a hoot and her son should have had a good spanking once or twice in his childhood so he wouldn't be so spoiled.

The story line was interesting. I liked how Lila works to solve the murder. She's wrong at times but keeps at it until she finds the answer. The world building is good. I look forward to more of the series.