logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: netgalley-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-05-09 19:57
Five Dares by Eli Easton
Five Dares - Bret Easton Ellis

I needed a little change of pace from all of the darkness and smart-stuff I’ve been reading lately and this book was just the thing. It was also about 6 months late over @ Netgalley. Oops. I don't know why they give me stuff.

So, the setup is completely ridiculous but you know what? I don’t even care!

Here it is:

Andy and Jake have been best friends for years. The pair are known for doing stupid stunts but the latest is the stupidest of all. While drunk, Andy decides that holding lit firecrackers will impress their college buds so Jake goes along with it. Andy says he’s tested this out, so why not? The stunt predictably leaves them both with badly burned hands that will take months to heal. They decide to heal together at Andy’s family cottage (his family is wealthy) where two kind souls come in daily to help them shower, provide nursing care and prepare their meals. Soon they tire of Netflix and the inability to, ahem, pleasure themselves (kind of tough without hands) and they start experimenting with each other. Andy, previously straight, starts getting feelings for his bisexual friend who has loved him forever and you just know this is going to get messy.

I told you the setup was ridiculous but hey, I still don’t care. It’s sexy and fun and sometimes you just need a little frivolity in your reading life.

These two were best friends and that came across in their thoughts and actions. Neither wanted to step over a line and lose the other and neither could come right out and express their true feelings fearing they’d lose their best friend. It’s a sticky situation, to be sure. The relationship started out as simply a means to ease their sexual pain but it soon morphed into something that had been simmering below the surface for years.

I really enjoyed this story for all of its sweet sexiness. The only thing I wasn’t too thrilled about were all of the flashbacks to their silly stunts in the past. Those kept throwing me out of the current story. One or two would’ve done the trick, if anyone were asking me. Other than that this story was exactly what I hoped it would be. There was plenty of time spent developing both characters which would’ve been a complete disaster done wrong as they were pretty much the only two in story! There’s a little angst but it was never unbearable. I actually enjoyed Andy’s struggles to figure basically everything out; his future, his sexual preferences, his career path. Argh, so stressful! But when the light finally turns on it feels genuine. That isn’t something I can say about a lot of romances. I really loved these two and almost finished this book in one sitting because I just didn’t want to put it down. They were both sweet and slightly goofy and acted their age without being obnoxious. If you’re ever looking for a fun romance this is a pretty good one.

Now back to the horror . . .

text 2018-05-03 20:01
Reading progress update: I've read 0%.
Five Dares - Bret Easton Ellis

My brain hurts from all of the classic and horrific reading I've been doing lately and needs something to lighten the mood. I think this one will work nicely :) Plus it's about 6 months late over @ Netgalley, oops.

review 2018-03-16 17:26
Bad Reputation by Nicole Edwards
Bad Reputation: A Bad Boys of Sports Novel - Nicole Edwards

I requested this book from Netgalley but I have no idea why. I am not interested in sports. I’m guessing it was the cover.

I managed to get through this one despite myself. It was touch and go there for a bit, I’m not even going to attempt to pretend otherwise. Only my laziness to figure out what I wanted to read next kept me going. One of these days I will learn how to DNF correctly.

Chase is a rich and famous hockey star and has a reputation as being “the bad boy of hockey” because he’s a trouble maker on the ice and he likes to sleep with women. Ummm, ok. He’s young, he’s loaded and he’s beautiful. I’d say that’s pretty normal not “bad” but what do I know? He is secretly in love with his best friend Cassie but he knows he can never share his feelings because it will destroy their close friendship. Thus, all the sleeping around with the hockey “bunnies”.

After Chase scares off Cassie’s latest date (in a real jerky alpha move) she laughs it off and calls him an asshole but she is relieved. She is focused on her career and moving on up and isn’t seriously pursuing a relationship. She’d much rather hang out with Chase and his friends than some random boring guy anyway. And when your best friend is a hockey god normal guys don’t stand a chance.

My description is making this sound dreadful, I know that and it’s not. At least not yet!

Cassie is chosen to make a key note speech and present a huge rollout for her company. This is a BIG deal for Cassie. It takes weeks of preparation and will help her reach her goals. The trip is in Vegas. She decides to take Chase with her and it’s here that the story goes all to hell for me. I won’t spoil it for everyone dying to read it but I will say that some colossally idiotic behavior goes down and Cassie ends up looking like a complete idiot when it was all said and done.

You might be able to get past that and forget about it. Not I. She is only 28 at the time, you might say, but at 28 I already had two kids, a mortgage, and a full time job and was well on the way to becoming the grumpy reader I am today. 28 is old enough to know better than to act like a coed on spring break. Cassie, up until Vegas, was painted as a responsible, intelligent woman so none of this made sense. This Vegas nonsense tainted the rest of the story for me because after Vegas happened I didn’t give any craps about her and her relationship with Chase.

That’s better. So, as I mentioned, I did carry on after taking a little break and a few deep cleansing breaths. What followed wasn’t really worth the effort. Their sexy times were hot, I’ll give them that, but that’s not enough to carry me through a book like this when their thoughts and self-talk are repetitive and tedious. Chase describes Cassie as “hilarious” but I never saw it which is a crying shame. Telling me someone is hilarious does me no good at all when they come across as average to boring on the page. They say love is blind though and I do believe it is true. Ah well, perhaps I’m just too grouchy for this kind of book.

text 2018-03-14 18:59
Reading progress update: I've read 50% ish
Bad Reputation: A Bad Boys of Sports Novel - Nicole Edwards

This heroine just did something so incredibly stupid and out of character that I don't give a damn what happens to her and her lover boy now. Such a dum-dum I cannot stand it.

review 2018-01-22 19:50
The Doll House by Phoebe Morgan
The Doll House - Phoebe Morgan

"The house surrounds us. I feel like it’s watching me."

This book isn’t really about a dollhouse. Nor is it about creepy dolls. It’s about family secrets and I love those almost as much as creepy dolls so I was good with that. Unfortunately, I guessed the biggest secret way too early and you probably will too.

Sisters Corrine and Ashley are being watched/stalked/terrorized by a third person without their knowledge. Corrine starts to catch on when someone begins leaving pieces of her old childhood dollhouse where she can find them. Everyone else thinks she’s starting to go a little mad. She’s always been a little jumpy, anxiety ridden and seen faces in windows that have spooked her. Recently, she’s been desperately trying to have a child through IVF and this is the conclusion her friends and family jump to – bunch of jerks. Ashley, the sister, has her hands full with a secretive husband who is spending far too much time at work, a baby who won’t stop screaming and who won’t sleep, a teen headed for trouble and mouth-breather phone calls. I felt for poor Ashley. Had I been in her position I might’ve got behind the wheel and just kept on driving . . .

The heart of this story rests on its day to day family dramas so if you’re not into all of that you may find things a little slow going. I have to admit that I found it a struggle at times and too slow moving and I typically love this sort of thing. This is not a fast paced thriller, by any means. The stressful atmosphere is almost claustrophobic and there’s an underlying sense of dread but discovering that I was right about the “why” behind the big secret with still many pages left, took a lot of the thrill away for me. I was oh-so-wrong about the who though and I enjoyed that tasty little surprise.

This is a nice debut but it wasn’t quite compelling enough to grab and hold my attention, nor did I ever get fully emotionally invested in the characters. I’m giving it a three for those reasons.