logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: netgalley-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-09-07 20:21
Review of The Bluebonnet Betrayal
The Bluebonnet Betrayal: A Potting Shed Mystery - Marty Wingate

This is one of my favorite series but this was not my favorite story. I don't know if I just wasn't in the mood for it or if it was just to much gardening going on but I just couldn't get into this one as much as the others. :(

Pru has been invited to help with the Chelsea Garden for some Texans who have actually got themselves a place among the Brits. One of the ladies knew her and asked if she would mind getting things started for them since they wouldn't be able to get there until a few days later.

The President of the Austin Gardening club ends up later than planned and Pru isn't sure what she thinks about that but when she meets her they have an instant connection and Twyla starts talking about needing her help to fix things and really just sort of rambles about things but when she ends up dead, Pru can't help but keep thinking about what she said. Almost like she is haunting her Pru can hear her voice and she knows she has to figure out what happened so she can have peace of mind.

Christopher is now semi-retired police (work with the local police on occasion) and not an inspector anymore and the local Inspector doesn't want his help nor Pru's but that don't stop them from checking into things and there are a few things that come up to make her suspicious of a few people.

I love Pru and Christopher they are probably one of my favorite cozy couples. I liked the characters introduced in this one but I think I just missed the normal characters that are usually in it, but since they were in a different area Simon wasn't there and I missed him.

The mystery is pretty good though I did figure it out towards the end but it was nice to see that I was right. :)

Overall, it's a good one but there was just something there that was missing but I am not sure what. Like I said could just be my mood. :) If you like cozies though you should give this series a try.

Source: www.amazon.com/Bluebonnet-Betrayal-Potting-Shed-Mystery-ebook/dp/B017QLSIU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504806964&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Bluebonnet+Betrayal
text 2017-09-03 20:37
Reading progress update: I've read 15%.
The Bluebonnet Betrayal: A Potting Shed Mystery - Marty Wingate

I decided to read this one for my Murder Most Foul square since I don't have a cozy square and I just got the next in series to read and realized I hadn't read this yet.

This is one of my favorite cozy series and it's set in England and gardening. :) So far I am liking it.

review 2017-08-16 19:06
The Well by Marie Sexton
The Well - Marie Sexton

The Well is a perfectly creepy, atmospheric little read for those of you who don’t like their horror all up in your face. I’m not going to say it scared me, because books rarely do, but it did build up a dastardly little mystery that did make my skin crawl a time or two.

It’s told in two timelines.

Twelve years ago Haven is goaded into staying the night at a rumored haunted house by his cousin Elise. It didn’t take a lot of goading though because Haven’s crush, Pierce, was also attending. He knew nothing was likely to happen either ghostly-wise or with Pierce but off he goes with Elise, Pierce and a few other teens for a night of spooky fun. When Elise decides to throw a séance things take a sinister turn and later Elise disappears.

The other timeline is set in the present day. Since that fateful night, Haven has been haunted by the loss of his favorite cousin Elise and spent most of his youth believing one of the teens present that night committed murder and has distanced himself from them. He’s become a horror writer to excise those demons but hasn’t kept in touch with his old group of friends – until now. Pierce, now a tv ghost hunter, has returned to town to do a segment on the vacant house and he wants Haven to participate. Old lusts are reignited as well as old suspicions . . .

There is a little romance here so if you don’t like that sort of thing invading your horror fiction you have been warned. Mostly this book is a slow burning murder-mystery with a side helping of ghostliness. I enjoyed watching it all unfold and especially loved the ghost-busting segment where scary sh*t actually happened! It kept me guessing and had just the right mix of thrills, atmosphere and engaging characters.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley courtesy of author Marie Sexton.

review 2017-08-08 20:04
Dark Water by K.L. White
Dark Water - K.L. White

Benjamin has had enough of this cruel, cruel world. Blind and battered and suffering from PTSD after returning from service in the military, he visits the beach where he and his now dead best friend Rez shared many good times. He intends to drown himself but before he can do that he hears horse hooves and then, strangely enough, he hears Rez’s voice.

Rez is not only alive but he claims he is a kelpie arisen from the sea and must take a human sacrifice to appease and keep the bloodthirst of his band of kelpies at bay. Because he touched the water with death in his thoughts, Benjamin is marked for death and Rez is charged with bringing it. Uh oh.

So, what’s a kelpie, you may ask? According to this book and google legend, a kelpie is a shapeshifting water horse that watches over and saves hapless humans from drowning and shark attacks but twice a year they must sacrifice a villain or willing victim (and eat them!) or the bloodlust may overcome them.

Don’t you love it? So beautiful yet so very sinister.

Anyhow, once Rez realizes it’s his buddy that is marked for death, he seeks advice to remove the mark. This is where things get a wee bit wonky for me. The only way he can remove it is by having sexy times with Benjamin and making him his mate for life. Rez likes men but Benjamin is straight. Or at least he thought so . . .

I’ll say nothing more about the plot but I will say that the brevity of this story was definitely a deterrent to my falling in love with it. I don’t mind a good gay for you love story but this one didn’t work because there was no time for things to develop naturally. It was rushed and, in the end, I felt the relationship was based more on lust, comfort and outside pressures than any true love match. Add another hundred pages to this novella and it could’ve been an emotional angst-fest that I would’ve adored. As written it was just a strange little tale of lust. Not horrible but not all that memorable either.

I received a copy of this ARC from Netgalley and Carina Press.

review 2017-07-27 16:22
Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann
Killers of the Flower Moon - David Grann

This book pieces together a brutal piece of history and unravels an ugly murder mystery. It’s disturbing, depressing and, at least for me, not at all the fast moving read I was led to believe from some of the early reviews. Maybe it’s just me, but I had a difficult time sticking with it. There were so many people involved and random details tossed in that didn’t seem to move things along that to me it seemed a little too over-stuffed and hard to follow at times. Perhaps it should’ve been a little longer? I don’t know. I tried it first in its Kindle version which includes photos of the people involved and then I moved on to the audiobook when I found myself putting it down and not wanting to pick it back up again. The audiobook is read by three narrators and one of them, Will Patton, is one of my favorites so that definitely helped. Something about his voice just pulls you in and forces you to pay attention.

This is a story about those in power who systematically attempt to eradicate an entire tribe of Indians in order to nab their wealth. First they remove them from their homeland and stick them on an unwanted patch of land (which turns out to be worth a fortune later when oil is struck), then they take their buffalo away making them dependent on the government’s money and then after the tribe has accumulated millions because they were far savvier than anyone assumed, the murdering begins. It is a terrible, awful story and it makes me heartsick that there was no justice and that these people were treated as if they were stupid children – or worse. I wasn’t expecting hearts and rainbows but I was hoping someone, somewhere would pay for all of the atrocities committed but no, the greedy and the powerful get away with murder. It’s sickening.

Do I recommend it? Yes, I do. It’s an important book and appalling true story that needed to be documented. We all need to know about the evil that was done to the Osage Tribe and I am not sorry I read/listened to it but I can’t honestly say I would ever read it again.

Previous reading notes:
I'm putting this one on hold for a bit. I've been really struggling to get through it and am instead going to continue to wait for my number to come up for the audio version via Overdrive and read it that way. It's dense with information and history and I feel I'll absorb it better that way. My brain is too tired to read this at night after a never ending day.

UPDATE: My number has come up and this is read by Will freaking Patton! Yes, this was most definitely a good decision on my part.

Starting over with the audio today. I'm kind of glad I have both as I can read along with the Kindle and look at the pictures smattered about while listening to Will Patton's voice. I feel so spoiled ;)