logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: netgalley-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-07-12 18:14
The Party by Robyn Harding
The Party: A Novel - Robyn Harding

I was lured into requesting this book from Netgalley when I received an email that promised me many juicy secrets and perfect people who behave very badly. I admit that I am a sucker for that kind of thing.

This is a great book to pick up if you don’t want anything too heavy, too emotional or basically anything that’ll strain the brain. It makes for a good mindless “beach book” which to me means I can drop it in the sand, get salt water all over it and even crack the spine (ahhhh!) because I’ll be leaving it behind for someone else when I’m done without feeling sad about the torture I’ve put it through. The material flirts with darkness and there is even a throwback “Heathers” moment but it never gets too deep and, for me, that was a great big problem.

So here’s the jist. Heather, uh, Hannah is turning sweet 16 and she invites her two childhood friends and two newer, cooler friends to her party.

She worries that her new friends will find her terribly uncool once they realize her mother is a controlling witch who won’t let them drink, do drugs or play with boys. Ummm, she could’ve avoided all of this angst by not inviting them in the first place but then we wouldn’t have ourselves a book now, would we? As you can suspect, the teens get up to naughtiness after mom goes to bed with a sleeping pill and some wine. Dad sneaks down and gives them a little present and soon after a very bad accident occurs that will ruin one forever and the others temporarily.

All of this setup was enjoyable and had me turning the pages awaiting some great and nasty reveals in the wake of this “event” but it never truly panned out. This accident spawns a series of Lifetime tv movie-like events that were dramatic but in the scheme of things a little too “meh” for my liking. Too much of the book gets hung up on boring lawsuit talk and selfish characters boo-hooing about the meanness of humankind whilst they ponder their navels and act like jerks.

I found myself losing interest in all of the characters somewhere after the halfway mark but especially Hannah who only cared about being the Queen Bee, even when she saw her “friends” being complete deplorables. To hell with being a decent person, popularity is far more important.

If you’re in the mood for something that is more surface than substance and can stomach a cast filled with humorless unlikable people, you may love this book but it wasn’t meant for me. I need my darkness dark and emotional and The Party didn’t deliver that for me. Honestly, if I want to entertain myself with evil teenagers, I’d rather just rewatch Heathers.

review 2017-05-18 18:31
Puss in Prada by Marie Jacquelyn
Puss in Prada - Marie Jacquelyn

This is an adorable little fable. It’s about a man named Alex who was turned into a talking cat by an irate witch. He’s been this way for a few years when the book begins and is living the cat life with his ex-boyfriend Ethan. Ethan was kind enough to take him in even though they were already broken up at the time because Alex was sassy, sarcastic, self-centered and snobby and an all-around dreadful boyfriend. Oh wait, he’s still all of those things! Except he’s no longer the boyfriend (that’d be too weird even for me) and now that he’s a cat, he makes good company for Ethan who prefers to stay in and watch tv after a long day of work. But Alex doesn’t want Ethan to turn into some lonely, antisocial cat man.

Not that there's anything wrong with that . . .

Still, it’s time for Ethan to put himself out there and find a boyfriend– even if the thought of Ethan with another man makes Alex a little queasy.

This story is simply delightful. If you are not a fan of m/m romances because most tend to be heavy on the angst and the sex, this is one that isn’t like the rest. It’s sweet and funny and I really enjoyed the characters. I think it will charm even those who think their heart is dead (not that I’d know anything about that . . .)

There is so much fun dialogue packed into this little novella but I think this line from Ethan describing cat Alex’s faults was my favorite.

"You also yell at the pigeons outside, watch too many cooking shows, and have a blog entirely dedicated to pictures of yourself."

Honestly, the only thing I’d change about this book is the cover. This is a book that features a talking cat who wears designer clothing and it has a generic cup of coffee on its cover? A pretty cup of coffee, sure, but seriously, what is up with that? So much opportunity squandered! I say ignore the cover and picture any of these dapper fellows on the cover instead.

Much better, right?

review 2017-05-16 18:03
Touched by Passion by Megan Hart
Strangers of the Night: Touched by PassionPassion in DisguiseUnexpected Passion - Megan Hart

I requested a copy of this book from Netgalley because of the author’s previous book “Lovely Wild” . That was such a unique book. What I didn’t realize was that I was requesting only one novella in a collection called “Shadows of the Night”. From my 30 seconds of internet research, I learned there may be two other stories included in the book that I did not receive for review.

My review and my rating is for Touched by Passion and only for Touched by Passion. Sadly, this story feels like a set up for the other two and it left me hanging, not the main romance, but all of the woo-woo stuff. I have MANY questions and I hate when that happens. If you purchase the finished book you may not have any of my issues.

Because it’s roughly 100 pages, I’m going to keep most of my words to myself. Things start out fabulously with echoes of an X-Files-like plot. Samantha is a nurse (who may or may not really be a nurse) who is caring for a handsome young man who has special powers. Powers that make others very fearful of him. But she likes him and she doesn’t mind his not so covert touches to her bare skin as she examines him. His arousal kind of her turns her on, truth be told, and she takes her sweet time taking his vitals each day. Well, wouldn’t you?

Anyhow, he was apparently part of a cult where all of the children had super powers and he’s spent his life being a guinea pig and is nearing the end of his usefulness to the Powers That Be. Samantha may be the only one willing to save him.

What follows is some action, some scatterings of plot breadcrumbs and a rushed and rather disappointing sexy time but then again, I have been reading a lot of pervy books lately! It all ends rather abruptly, most likely because there are two other connected stories that I was not privy to. As a standalone? It doesn’t entirely work for me so I’m giving it a three.

review 2017-05-05 18:34
Strays by Garrett Leigh
Strays - Garrett Leigh

Strays is a sexy little romance with a slight hint of danger. I needed a mini horror break but wasn’t in the mood for hearts and unicorns and this one came through for me.

Nero splits his time working at several restaurants. His life consists of waking, prepping, cooking and sleeping and he likes it that way. He’s grumpy and a workaholic and his routine keeps him from thinking too hard about anything – especially about that awful thing in his past. His grumpiness keeps most people at arm’s length which is just fine by him. When his boss (who he owes) asks him to take in a stray named Lenny his routine is about to get all kinds effed up.

“Keep Lenny close, if you can. Don’t let him be scared.” What the fuck did that mean?

Lenny is on the run from a persistent, super creepy stalker whose last letter to Lenny included Lenny’s own blue painted toe-nail clipping (ugh). The cops won’t help and he has no family support so when his kind boss finds him a safe place to land and a new place to work, he doesn’t turn down the offer. Had he known he was going to be holed up with such a prickly dude he might’ve reconsidered.

As Nero shows him the ropes, the two become friends and Nero (who is bi) finds himself wildly attracted to Lenny and quickly gets used to him being around. Wherever Nero is, Lenny is but their fast friendship and obvious adoration of each other might not last if Nero continues to keep his guard up even when it comes to Lenny. And, of course, there’s that nasty stalker . . .

Lenny is an open book and easily shares his past hurts and life with Nero and finds Nero’s crabbery amusing. He’s vibrant, artistic, sassy and used to be the life of any party. Now he’s afraid to look outside. Nero doesn’t know what to make of him and all of these feelings he’s stirred up.

Nero hung up and stared at his phone screen, wondering why Lenny’s voice twisted his insides so much. He’d started walking again while they’d talked, but he drifted to a stop now, feeling somehow . . . lighter? What the actual fuck? Nero was used to trudging through life under a cloud of temper and sarcasm, his only shield between him and a world that had fucked him over more times than he could count, not spinning giddily because of the way a bloke he hardly knew said his name.

Ah, poor Nero is a goner.

I really enjoyed this book and both of the main characters. Nero is young but very much like a crabby old man and he does not care.

"Sorry I screeched at you.”

“Don’t be. I’m a dick.”

He’s like many people I’ve met in real life and I can easily picture him as an old guy screaming at brats to get the hell off his lawn. His thoughts, his cursing and his whole way of dealing with people were very real and often funny to me. People are annoying and Nero doesn’t hide his annoyance with them. The romance builds naturally out of friendship and doesn’t suffer from the dreaded insta-lust/love thing that drives me insane. Together they are lovely and somehow their very different personalities work together.

This is book 2 in the "Urban Soul" series and there are appearances by characters from a previous book but it stood on its own just fine. I hate mid-series books that don’t make sense unless you’ve read them all and this isn’t one of them.

I may even seek out the first book now.

review 2017-05-03 17:07
Token by Kelly Gendron
TOKEN (Daring the Kane Brothers) (Volume 1) - Kelly Gendron

*Roll #2 book for Booklikes-opoly. I'm terribly behind with everything in life and will do my next roll later this week.

I love messy characters. If you do too, you’ll likely love this one because it’s full of them! Or you could hate it. Who am I to say?

Harley is our heroine and she is a drunken mess. Every year she grieves the anniversary of the death of her family by escaping for a week to drink away the pain and to sleep with a stranger or two before putting it behind her for another year. But this year will end differently . . .

Token (yep, that’s really his name) has been paid $10,000 to find her and find her does. When she wakes up in a hotel room that isn’t hers, hung over, sick and with a man who insists on bringing her sorry ass back home to her uncle, she isn’t having any of it. She only wants to be left alone but Token has other ideas. Thus begins the volatile, super steamy and surprisingly sweet love affair between Harley and Token.

Both of these characters have pasts that haunt them which adds just enough angst to keep up the conflict. As much as Token would like her to open up and face her demons, he doesn’t treat her like a project that needs fixing and pretty much accepts her for the mess she is and gives her time and that’s why they worked.

He’s different. When he looks at me it’s as if he sees the train-wreck and all the leftover debris spread around me but he doesn’t appear to want to save me from the crash that I’ve found my life in. Instead, he stands and patiently waits like he’s waiting for me to pull myself up from all the rubble and brush myself off. That’s what I feel when he stares at me. When his dark green eyes lay quietly upon my body. I don’t get the sense he wants to fix me but I also don’t get the feeling that he’ll leave me either. It’s strange. I don’t know the man. Still, I feel closer to him than anyone in my life right now but really, that’s not saying much.

He also has amazing powers of restraint.

“The past two days you’ve thrown your body at me, teased me, and tempted me.” His thumb runs across my chin. “Do you know why I resist you?” Gazing into his sincere eyes, I swallow hard unable to respond, afraid of his answer. “When I touch you, I wanna be sure you’re gonna fuckin’ feel it.”

Awww, if that isn’t romance, I don’t know what is!

Token comes from a very large, loud, loving and close-knit family so it looks like there’s room for many a sequel. I’ll follow along for now because the characters and writing intrigued me NOT because there was a cliff-hanger attached to the very end (arghh). Fortunately there was closure with Token and Harley’s story or I’d be a bit steamed right now. Cliff-hangers and I do not get along.

I really enjoyed this read. I found myself wanting to get back to it whenever I had to put it down which is kind of a rarity for me so if you like steam, angst and some heart-melting moments and can deal with imperfect people, you’ll probably like it too. If not, don’t blame me!

I received an ARC from the publisher and Netgalley. Hope they don’t regret it!