logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: new-adult
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-04-23 18:49
Cinder & Ella by Kelly Oram Review
Cinder & Ella - Kelly Oram

What would you do if your anonymous Internet best friend turned out to be Hollywood’s hottest celebrity?

Cinder458: Your blogaversary is coming up, right?
EllaTheRealHero: Do all those Hollywood friends of yours know you use words like blogaversary?
Cinder458: Of course not. I need your address. Got you a blogaversary present.

Cinder got me a gift?
My heart flipped.
Not that I was in love with my Internet best friend or anything. That would be utterly ridiculous. The boy was cocky and stubborn and argued with everything I said just to be infuriating. He also had lots of money, dated models—which meant he had to be hot—and was a closet book nerd.
Funny, rich, hot, confident, book lover. Definitely not my type. Nope. Not at all.

I
t’s been almost a year since eighteen-year-old Ella Rodriguez was in a car accident that left her crippled, scarred, and without a mother. After a very difficult recovery, she’s been uprooted across the country and forced into the custody of a father that abandoned her when she was a young child. If Ella wants to escape her father’s home and her awful new stepfamily, she must convince her doctors that she’s capable, both physically and emotionally, of living on her own. The problem is, she’s not ready yet. The only way she can think of to start healing is by reconnecting with the one person left in the world who’s ever meant anything to her—her anonymous Internet best friend, Cinder.

Hollywood sensation Brian Oliver has a reputation for being trouble. There’s major buzz around his performance in his upcoming film The Druid Prince, but his management team says he won’t make the transition from teen heartthrob to serious A-list actor unless he can prove he’s left his wild days behind and become a mature adult. In order to douse the flames on Brian’s bad-boy reputation, his management stages a fake engagement for him to his co-star Kaylee. Brian isn’t thrilled with the arrangement—or his fake fiancée—but decides he’ll suffer through it if it means he’ll get an Oscar nomination. Then a surprise email from an old Internet friend changes everything.

Review

So, I love internet connection romances. I like romance that deal with fame. I like fairy tale retellings. This book sounded good to me.

It opened fine with the heroine. The hero ... not someone I would even like.

Then, every character gets oversimplified at first. This aspect of the book changes but I had to wait too long for the heroine to grow.

I never settled into this book and didn't enjoy being in the heads of the leads through the first person point of view.

review 2017-04-23 05:20
Not again
Confessions of a Former Puck Bunny (Taking Shots) - Cindi Madsen

This is book #4 in the Taking Shots series.  This book can be read as a standalone novel.  To not read a spoiler, and to understand this really great series, I recommend reading in order.

Lindsay has come a long way to not be like she used to.  Ryder threatens all this because he is still part of the "hockey life" she has left behind her.  As their attraction heats up and she needs his help to cement her future, she struggles with whether she is doing the right thing.

Ryder wanted Lindsay from first sight.  He found her beautiful, smart, and completely amazing.  Winning her over and not being a threat to her new life is a challenge.  He is never one to not get what he goes after.

This series rocks!  Each book just gets better and better.  If you love sports, romance, laughter, and an HEA - this series is a must read!  I happily give it 4/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This ARC copy was given in exchange for an honest review, by Netgalley and its publisher.

review 2017-04-19 15:45
Till Death Book Review
Till Death - Jennifer L. Armentrout

I really enjoyed this one, as I usually do with Armentrout. This felt much more mature and very different from her usual paranormal romance series. Its one of my favorites by her and I want her to write some thrillers. Yes there was romance, but I loved the kidnapping story line and felt hooked from page one.

Sasha has returned home for the first time in years. Her mom is happy she's home as is her best friend. But everyone still remember's her as the survivor. The one who got away from the groom. And now someone is terrorizing her, a women goes missing in Frederick and Sasha can't help but wonder if coming home was the right thing to do. But seeing Cole makes it all worth it.

I love the relationship of these two characters. Another reason I really enjoy Armentrout's books is because she's local and I know all the locations in her books (at least when they aren't in paranormal scenes.

Super fun and super hot. A quick read but just what I needed to get out of a reading slump.

review 2017-04-16 01:02
ARC Review: Relationship Status by K.A. Mitchell
Relationship Status - K.A. Mitchell

This obviously had the potential to be super-angsty, especially when we were in Wyatt's head, but it wasn't. It was mostly delightful to revisit Ethan and Wyatt and watch them find their way to a happily ever after. Also, the epilogue was like icing on the happy cake.

This is the third book in this trilogy, and it shouldn't be read as a standalone. It's actually best, now that book 3 is published, to read them all back to back.

I do love Ethan and Wyatt, even though they can be complicated, immature and annoying, and as a couple, they have the potential to crash and burn, but both of them are committed to their relationship. They struggle, of course, especially since Ethan doesn't always understand what drives Wyatt, and how his history continues to influence the decisions he makes, and how he sees himself. Wyatt comes across as resentful on occasion that Ethan's life to date has been fairly easy, and seemingly forgets that Ethan has been hurt too.

Some of the issues felt forced to me, though I liked that Wyatt didn't freeze out Ethan this time around as he had in the past, when Ethan does something immature. Part of me was also hoping that Ethan would have grown up a bit more in this book, but that wasn't always the case. I never doubted that he thought Wyatt hung the moon, but Ethan does on occasion come across as rather immature. I realize they're both still very young, so maybe I should cut them some slack.

In this book, they're also not living in dorms anymore - they're renting a room in a crappy apartment for the summer while doing internships - so this newfound freedom and privacy translates into lots and lots of sexy times, though, while definitely hot, there were so many that I started skimming them toward the end.

It also occurred to me during my reading of this book that this trilogy might have worked better overall if the three books had been released as one large volume, because neither book 1 nor book 2 really told the whole story. There is growth for both Wyatt and Ethan in this final book, which I appreciated, and they're better at being adults than in the first two, but Ethan still tends to fall back on his parents, whereas Wyatt doesn't really have that option. His uncle is still in the picture, and there's some additional plot around that, which I thought was rather well done, even if it felt like a bit much - it did highlight that Wyatt and Ethan do work as a couple, and that Ethan has a really good heart, and that Wyatt has finally started believing that they have a future.

Overall, this book was a fitting ending to this trilogy, and I enjoyed reading it.

** I received a free copy of this book from its publisher via Netgalley. A positive review was not promised in return. **

review 2017-04-15 22:16
The Hooker and the Hermit - Penny Reid,Luci Cosway

♪♫My Pick For Book Theme Song♫♪

Let Me Love You by DJ Snake feat. Justin Bieber  --This kind of says it all…Annie just needs to let someone love her….and Ronan sure wants to try.♫

Book Title:  The Hooker and the Hermit

Author:  L.H. Cosway & Penny Reid

Narration:  George Allen & Lucy Rivers

Series:  Rugby #1

Genre:  New Adult, Sports Romance

Source:  Own Audible Audiobook

Add to Goodreads

OVERALL RATING:  4/5 Stars (Grade=B+)

My Thoughts

Overall, my biggest issue was the Irish accent of the male narrator, I really don't like the way he drops the H sound, and it just comes out sounding like baby talk to me.  It just blows my whole image of Ronan, a guy who talks like a baby cannot be thought of as hot…

...this might be one of those books that I would have enjoyed more if I had read it instead of listened.  Trying not to let that influence my rating too much, I will say that this story is refreshingly funny, and well written.  Also, I found the heroines growth to be most inspiring.

Ratings Breakdown

Backdrop (World Building):  4.5/5

Originality:  4/5

Book Cover:  5/5

Narration:  3.5/5

Ending:  4.3/5 Cliffhanger:  Nope!

Will I continue this series?  Idk??? I read a excerpt of this book on Goodreads and I could totally continue with this series as long as I read them in book format.