logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: new-books
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-19 17:42
Review: “Cupcakes and Casualties” (Peridale Cafe Mystery, #11) by Agatha Frost
Cupcakes and Casualties - Agatha Frost

~ 3 stars ~

review 2018-10-19 15:00
Hitting the Books
Hitting the Books (A Library Lover's Mystery) - Jenn McKinlay

Lindsay and Scully are living together. Beth's wedding is over and she is home from the honeymoon and driving everyone crazy with her constant discussion of her honeymoon and where her husband proposed. While at the Crafternoon event at the library, Lindsay is looking out the window and sees Teresa run over and she and Beth run out to provide help after telling people to call 911. When there is a 2nd attempt on her life, she is moved into the house of her wealthy fiance and he hires the twin brothers to protect her. They do a good job, but that doesn't stop the constant attacks.

Robby begs Lindsay to get involved so that he can act as her Watson. He learns information and so does she, giving it to Emma, the police chief, and Robby's girlfriend.

Lindsay even has to get Emma to get a subpoena to find out who had borrowed all the material found in the back of the car used to hit Teresa. It is because of the information found on who borrowed the items that she finds out the truth of who was attempting to kill Teresa.

I borrowed this as an audio and we listened to it while in the car yesterday, finishing it while we went everywhere we had to go (art lessons, Kentucky in rush hour traffic, back to Cincinnati in rush hour traffic, etc). Lindsay even has to get Emma to get a subpoena to find out who had borrowed all the material found in the back of the car used to hit Teresa.

review 2018-10-19 03:42
Stalking Jack the Ripper
Stalking Jack the Ripper - Kerri Maniscalco

This just didn't work for me at all, and I'm so disappointed. The synopsis made it seem like it should be right in my wheelhouse, but it just wasn't.

I think my main issues were with the main characters, Audrey Rose (whose POV we read from) and Thomas, her love interest. I didn't like either of them. He came off as a pompous know-it-all, and she was insufferable and judgemental. She's also supposed to be a feminist character, but it falls a little false when she's judgemental about other women who like the more traditional feminine things of the era. That whole, "I'm not like the other girls" vibe that drives me crazy. She also had several TSTL moments in the book.

The romance fell flat. I felt the pair had zero chemistry.

The identity of "Jack" was obvious extremely early in the book, though the author tried to lay a false trail by dropping anvil sized hints that it was actually someone else.

I didn't hate the writing, and I did like the part where Audrey Rose stood up to her father, and the bonus chapters from Thomas' viewpoint at the end of the book were good, as well. I wish we'd been able to read from his POV sometimes during the novel. Maybe I'd have found him a bit more likeable, but by the time I got to the bonus chapters, it was too little, too late.

review 2018-10-18 18:47
Review: Everless
Everless - Sara Holland

I received a copy from Netgalley.

This is one of the most original fantasies I have come across in a while. While I can’t say I was that invested in any of the characters, I found the actual story itself and the world building totally captivating and the combination of the two made it book impossible to put down. In this fantasy time is a commodity that can be bought and sold.

The world building was               quite complicated, or at least for me, the combination of magic and science and the whole buying and selling time. The setting was a small, town on the edge of a huge estate where the wealthiest family in the district ruled over everything.

The heroine Jules used to live at the estate where her father was a revered blacksmith, but a secret caused them to flee in the middle of the night and now they are barely eeking out a living in a tiny cottage on the edge of the forest. Her father is in debt and sick. So Jules hatches a plan to sell her own time and repay his debts

Yet she finds herself presented with an opportunity for employment at the estate, Everless, where she once lived. Seizing the moment, Jules makes herself a plan to save her father. She worms her way into employment at Everless.

Jules is one of the brighter YA heroines, she’s smart and thinks things through. She plans and doesn’t seem to act recklessly when things don’t go according to plan. She was a little bit two dimensional but likeable enough. Back at Everless while in a different capacity than she was previously, she’s of course flooded with memories of her time back then, and the mystery of why she and her father fled in the first place. And she has to deal with the two sons of the Lord of Everless. One of whom was a great friend and played with her when they were children, who has grown up to be devastatingly handsome and quite the ladies man. He’s engaged to the Queen’s daughter. And his brother – who was a mean bully.

The plot gets quite twisty, there’s a legend on how time came to be used as a commodity, a vicious queen who everyone’s terrified of visiting Everless, Jules discovers she has time letting abilities that are beyond normal, a hidden vault where Jules believes she will get some of the answers she seeks, there are plenty of secrets – including a mystery to solve about Jules’s deceased mother, and some things her father neglected to tell her. And people who turn out to be nothing like you thought they were.

I read this quite some time ago so I can’t remember all the details. Just that it was a really good one, quite different and I liked it. I’ve already pre ordered the next one.

Thank you Netgalley and Hatchette Children’s Group for the review copy.

review 2018-10-18 04:54
Not Really a Review: Endless Night
Endless Night (Audio) - Agatha Christie,Hugh Fraser

Endless Night

by Agatha Christie
audio book narrated by Hugh Fraser

When penniless Michael Rogers discovers the beautiful house at Gypsy’s Acre and then meets the heiress Ellie, it seems that all his dreams have come true at once.  But he ignores an old woman’s warning of an ancient curse, and evil begins to stir in paradise.  As Michael soon learns: Gypsy’s Acre is the place where fatal “accidents” happen.

Well... I certainly did not see that ending coming.  Though in hindsight, I am not so surprised, despite the fact that I'm not very well-versed in Agatha Christie novels.  This is only the third of hers I've read, and I'm not quite sure what to make of this one in particular.

Did I like it?  Did I not like it?  I don't know anymore.  That ending more than made up for the drag that was the beginning... and yet, I still haven't quite recovered yet.

Also, when I'd updated about the marriage between Mike and Ellie not ending well... this was NOT what I had been thinking would happen.

I am going to need to mull this one over, but more than likely, I won't come up with anything more to say.

Well played, Dame Agatha.  Well played.

Also, on a side note, Hugh Fraser is a wonderful narrator.  I will definitely be keeping him on my radar.

Halloween Bingo 2018
(any book that relates to bad luck, superstitions, including (but not limited to) black cats, ravens or crows, or the unlucky 13, either in the title, series, book cover or page count)

Source: anicheungbookabyss.blogspot.com/2018/10/not-really-review-endless-night.html