logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: new-release
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-09-15 22:30
Review on Lies by T.M. Logan
Lies: The Gripping Psychological Thriller That Will Take Your Breath Away - T.M. Logan

Title: Lies

Author: T.M. Logan

Publisher: St. Martins Press

Publication Date: September 11, 2018

Genre: Psychological Thriller

Synopsis:

What if you have the perfect life, the perfect wife and the perfect child—then, in one shattering moment, you discover nothing is as it seems? Now you are in the sights of a ruthless killer determined to destroy everything you treasure.

It’s the evening drive home from work on a route Joe Lynch has taken a hundred times with his young son. But today, Joe sees his wife meet another man—an encounter that will rip two families apart. Raising the question: Can we ever really trust those closest to us?

Joe will do whatever it takes to protect his family, but as the deception unravels, so does his life. A life played out without any rules. And a cunning opponent who’s always one step ahead.

Review:

T.M. Logan! Wow, how have I not learned of you sooner? This book was all sorts of crazy and nail-biting, edge of your seat thrilling. I definitely did not find the ending coming. I caught myself dreaming of this book at times and would wake up in the middle of the night to read until my eyes would burn.

You have Joe Lynch and his wife Mel, or Melissa, they seem like a happy go lucky family. The wife is the main bread winner and Joe is a teacher in a prestigious school where image is everything. Outside looking in you wouldn't think you're looking at a murderer and a heavy coverup of some sort. Mel is having a torrid love affair but with who? What will Joe do when he finds out? How will this effect the lover and the lover's family? Are things really as they seem? Can the love Joe felt for Mel be salvaged, and how will this effect the relationship for their son?

I ask you these questions because I really don't want to give too much away, this is a MUST read!

Rating: * * * * */* * * * * 5 out of 5 stars!

Disclaimer: I received an early reader copy for my reading pleasure and was asked for an honest rating. Thank you St. Martins Press and T.M. Logan for allowing me this opportunity!

Happy reading y'all and have a great week!

~Steph

Source: bookreviewsbysteph.blog/2018/09/10/book-review-lies-by-t-m-logan
review 2018-09-12 08:10
Release Blitz w/Review - Shot On Goal

These two professional skaters are about to meet their match.
Shot on Goal by Jami Davenport is available now!

When you're at the top, there's nowhere to go but down. Two talented skaters. Two bright futures. Two shining stars. One ruined by a career-ending scandal and another by a father's ruthless ambition. She was the darling of the winter games, winning a bronze in pairs figure skating one week after losing both parents in a car accident. He was the future of the Sockeyes hockey team crowned the best young player in the league and heir-apparent to the hockey throne once occupied by his father. Together they're fire and ice, and when things get that hot, they melt. Can these two broken souls find comfort and courage in each other's arms or will they find only pain and regret?

Shot on Goal: Seattle Sockeyes Hockey (Game On in Seattle Book 11)Shot on Goal: Seattle Sockeyes Hockey by Jami Davenport
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is book #11, in the Game On In Seattle series. This book can be read as a standalone novel. For reader understanding and to avoid spoilers, I recommend reading this incredible series in order.

Drew and Marina have a complicated history. With a lot of tragedy in their pasts in common, they bond on the current love of hockey and all that it means to both of them. Drew has finally figured out what he wants - and it is Marina.

Marina has had a long climb back to the opportunity she has been given for this great team. She cannot afford to lose it by being attracted to the sexiest man she has ever seen. With all that they have between them, she is shy to give even herself a chance.

This book was such a slow burn, I honestly almost put it away and gave up. I will be completely honest with you. It was close. The burn in this book builds and builds with conflict and intense heat, that it actually became this author's best work for me in the end. I loved the characters, the series, and the subject. Totally great read and I highly recommend! I give this a 4/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review only.

About the Author:

USA Today Bestselling Author Jami Davenport writes sexy contemporary and sports romances, including her two new indie endeavors: the Game On in Seattle Series and the Madrona Island Series. Jami’s new releases consistently rank in the top fifty on the sports romance and sports genre lists on Amazon, and she has hit the Amazon top hundred authors list in both contemporary romance and genre fiction multiple times. Jami ranked Number Seven on Kobo’s Top Ten Most Completed Authors, an honor bestowed on the year’s “most engaging” authors based on an average page completion rate by their readers.

Jami lives on a small farm near Puget Sound with her Green Beret-turned-plumber husband, a Newfoundland cross with a tennis ball fetish, a prince disguised as an orange tabby cat, and an opinionated Hanoverian mare. Jami works in IT for her day job and is a former high school business teacher. She’s a lifetime Seahawks and Mariners fan and is waiting for the day professional hockey comes to Seattle. An avid boater, Jami has spent countless hours in the San Juan Islands, a common setting in her books. In her opinion, it’s the most beautiful place on earth.

Connect with Jami!

Subscribe to my newsletter to receive a free novel and be notified of new releases, special sales, and contests: http://eepurl.com/LpfaL

Website Address: http://www.jamidavenport.com

Twitter Address: @jamidavenport

Facebook Address: http://www.facebook.com/jamidavenport

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/jamidavenport/

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1637218.Jami_Davenport

review 2018-09-12 00:30
"High Lonesome Sound" by Jay Wells - read for the New Release square in Halloween Bingo
High Lonesome Sound - Jaye Wells

I experienced "High Lonesome Sound" as a very uneven novel which had some very strong moments in it but didn't really deliver on its promise.

I liked the originality of both the nature of the underlying evil that rises to the surface in the book and the forces used to confront it.

So many horror novels start well, building tension and creating context and characters that I care about and then fizzle out when the big bad finally sees the light of day. The confrontation scenes in "High Lonesome Sound" are the part of the book that I enjoyed most. They deliver in terms of horrific action and a satisfying pulling together of the various plot threads and character traits.

Unfortunately, the first sixty-plus per cent of the book leading up to the confrontation was light both on tension and on foreboding. I knew something bad was coming but I felt no dread of it.

At the start of the book, I felt that the mountain people were being presented as a set of Reality TV stereotypes of weird and wacky Appalachia. This effect wore off a little as the main characters were given something to do and their backstory was explained but it took a while and I never quite got past the view that the life the mountain lived was being looked down on. The Church is central to both the community and the story but I was left with no sense that the faith of these people was understood or valued.

There are some interesting themes around the gender roles and the price paid for men repressing their emotions or expressing them with their fists but it felt a little too "Deliverance" most of the time.

My main problem with the book was how much I despised the character of Peter, the author looking for a story. This would have been a fine emotion for me to have if Peter had been set up as one of the bad guys. Instead, he was a weak and ineffectual would-like-to-be-a-hero-but-I'm-not-sure-I'm-up-to-it kind of guy. The start of the book focuses on Peter whining about his life, his failed career, his failed marriage and how unfair it all is. By the time he got the town in the mountains, I was hoping he would suffer an early and painful death so we could all move on. Instead, I kept getting thrown out of the story by Peter's reflections on the writing process and his view on what would happen next if this were a novel he was writing.

I see that Peter was a necessary part of the plot. I just don't see why he had to be so meh.

This was an entertaining, if sometimes frustrating, way to spend a few hours but this isn't a book that's going to stay with me.

review 2018-09-10 15:11
Most Stories Were Just Okay
Flight or Fright - Stephen King, Arthur Conan Doyle,Richard Matheson,Dan Simmons

Eh. Definitely not worth the $9.99 I paid for this. A new anthology edited by Stephen King though equals I have to read it though. There were some truly what the hell did I just read reactions to some of the short stories, and a few good grief this is boring. I only really enjoyed four stories out of this collection (gave them five stars), and one of them is a story I am already familiar with. I did give some four stars, but the majority are three stars and below.

"Cargo" by E. Michael Lewis (3 stars)-An interesting take on those who had to fly back the dead from the Jonestown massacre. It just really didn't do a thing for me though. I just needed it to be scarier or something. I felt like I was missing some key points or something while reading.

"The Horror of the Heights" by Arthur Conan Doyle (2 stars)-I had to refresh my memory on this one since I didn't even recall it until I started my review. It was just a long form narrative about someone  finding the notebook of a Mr. Joyce-Armstrong who was trying to break the height record of 30,000 feet. People who have tried to beat that record have been found dead.

"Nightmare at 20,000 feet" by Richard Matheson (5 stars)-This is the original short story that inspired Twilight Zone the show and the movie later on. It was good to read, but honestly many of the readers will be familiar with it so it doesn't feel like new material.

Image result for gremlin twilight zone movie gif

"The Flying Machine" by Ambrose Bierce (1 stars)- This story wasn't even a page. I initially thought I didn't get a full Kindle version of this book since the story just stops.

"Lucifer" by E.C. Tubb (4 stars)-This was pretty cool. I liked how a time machine (in ring form) comes out to play with an airplane. Don't want to spoil since the ending was so good. I would have loved to see this in a Twilight Zone episode.

"The Fifth Category" by Tom Bissell (1 star)-This whole thing seems to be a story about how torture is wrong and terribly and seems to be a long winded diatribe against the previous two Administrations. I don't know, it made zero sense to decide to go to such lengths against a man who wrote memos regarding acceptable forms of torture. Especially since these people murdered someone and I don't think you can claim the moral high ground there if you are using someone's life to make some random point. I was so annoyed when I finished this story I set this anthology aside for a few hours.

"Two Minutes Forty-Five Seconds" by Dan Simmons (3 stars)-Everything looked pretty good until the ending. Once again it felt like a story which made no sense to me. Let's murder everyone on the plane to really take out these terrible human beings who you believe are the cause of others death. Why do I keep looking for logic in horror stories?

"Diablitos" by Cory Goodfellow (1 star)-Evil possessed mask plus a plane ride. I was bored. Sorry. I was hoping for something more.

"Air Raid" by John Varley (3 stars)-Interesting, I wish that there had been more detail in this one. It felt like Varley was more focused on the twisty ending than anything else.

"You are Released" by Joe Hill (5 stars)-Look, I get that King edited this and couldn't make it the first story here, but he should have. Next to Matheson's work this is among the best in this collection. I loved it. Hill seems to be taking real life things (Trump threatening nuclear war against North Korea) and showing what could happen if the world imploded while on a plane. I felt like this was a nice little send up to The Langoliers too.

"Warbirds" by David J. Schow (2 stars)-Way too technical for me and just boring honestly.

"The Flying Machine" by Ray Bradbury (1 star)-....no. That's all I got at this point. I also at this point started sneak reading another book.

"Zombies on a Plane" by Bev Vincent (4 stars)-It was an interesting idea and I loved the callback to the Snakes on a Plane movie. It just needed a bit more oomph for me. I loved the idea of a zombie virus taking everyone as soon as you die, so you don't need to be bit to change. I think The Walking Dead has that same premise too right? Or it did. I don't know, I stopped watching that show this year because I got sick of it.

"They Shall Not Grow Old' By Richard Dahl (3 stars)-This story actually felt a little long and I lost interest in it half way through.

"Murder in the Air" by Peter Tremayne (5 stars)-A locked room murder mystery on a plane. Heck King even points out it's a double locked room murder mystery if you count the plane as being locked too. I loved it. That is all.

"The Turbulence Expert" by Stephen King (5 stars)- I liked the why behind this story. It also echoes some Richard Bachman in my eyes too.

"Falling" by James Dickey (1 stars)-It's a very long poem. My eyes glazed over two pages in unfortunately.

review 2018-09-07 10:23
Have you ever seen a UFO?

Flying Saucers from Beyond the Earth: A UFO Researcher's Odyssey

Gordon Lore

Hardcover: 460 pages

Publisher: BearManor Media (October 1, 2018)

ISBN-10: 1629333441

ISBN-13: 978-1629333441

Reviewed by Dr. Wesley Britton

The bulk of Gordon Lore’s latest book is a compilation of summaries describing apparently every UFO sighting reported to the National Investigations Committee On Aerial Phenomena (NICAP) from 1956 to 1980. During that time, Lore served as Vice President, Assistant Director, Secretary-Treasurer and investigator for NICAP, then the world’s largest UFO organization.

The summaries don’t stop there. While Lore focuses on sightings in the continental U.S. in his first chapters, he also presents sightings and close encounters internationally, at sea, and in the air up to the present day.  In fact, just before the appendices begin, Lore closes his journey by providing readers with a website and e-mail address where they can report new sightings in the future.

Lore’s approach is both objective and personal. Objective in that he rarely editorializes on the credibility of UFO spotters other than frequently noting scientists, two presidents, police officers, astronauts, military personnel and many other believable folks claimed to have seen unidentified flying objects near their homes or job sites. Credibility for many such occurrences is underlined when numerous witnesses reported what they saw at the same time and same place. Lore also shows how the U.S. military and government engaged in a long and often silly cover-up of UFO sightings by giving the public usually implausible explanations of how UFO phenomena could be explained away. Lore doesn’t have to add any commentary on any official agency’s lack of professionalism or believability. Instead, he lets the facts stand for themselves.

The odyssey is personal in that Lore was on the inside of UFO explorations for several decades and worked with the most eminent researchers in the field, appeared in Congressional hearings, and advised Stanley Kubrik while 2001: A Space Odyssey was being filmed. So he is able to provide portraits of many of the key figures involved in NICAP during its heyday and afterward.

One perhaps irrelevant question I have is, just how much of this book is new material? In addition to the numerous articles and special reports Lore either wrote, co-wrote, or edited over the years,  his past books include Mysteries of the Skies: UFOs in Perspective, Strange Effects from UFOs and UFOs: A New look. Of course, if you’re a reader who’s read none of Lore’s previous work,  his Flying Saucers tome will be new to you, just as it was to me. I rather suspect Flying Saucers may well be Lore’s culmination of all his UFO work, pulled together in a grande finale.

I admit, before reading this book, I was willing to accept the possibility that alien visitors had come to our earth. I’m now convinced they have.  Many, many times. I’m still amazed how these visitors haven’t made any noticeable effort to communicate with us.    Why come all this way just to fly around and check things out? Well, those aren’t the sorts of questions Lore addresses. His purpose is to establish we’ve been getting visits on numerous occasions that defy any explanation other than we are not alone in the universe.

This review first appeared at BookPleasures.com on Sept. 6, 2018: