logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: nicola-yoon
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-04-11 17:00
Year of Expanded Reading: The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
The Sun Is Also a Star - Nicola Yoon

I read this for my book club -- wasn't particularly interested in it going in, so not surprised it only earned three stars from me.

It's a one-day-long love story type of thing, all happening on the day before the female lead is set to be deported. Putting aside the fact that whirlwind, "instant" love stories don't do much for me, this book required a HUGE suspension of disbelief when it came to how much happened in this one day. Like, I don't know about you, but I get 24 hours in my days. These guys seemed to get like 85. The main characters were well-drawn and their relationship is something I maybe could have gotten behind if it had been more of a slow burn. And yeah, I get that teenagers feel epic love for someone they potentially just met, but I'm not a teenager anymore so I don't have to get behind it.

I did like the insight into the experiences of Korean and Jamaican immigrants. All the perspective hopping into minor characters' heads felt a little too artsy-fartsy for my tastes, like this book really wanted to be an indie film.

Well written and a good pick if you like this sort of thing, but it just wasn't for me.

This happened to comply with my Year of Expanded Reading goal to read books by non-white and/or non-American authors. Nicola Yoon is a Jamaican-American author married to a Korean American, which shows how she could portray both perspectives with so much nuance and insight.

review 2019-11-16 06:40
The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicole Yoon

Date Published: November 1, 2016

Format: Hardcover

Source: Library

Date Read: November 2, 2019

Blurb:

Natasha: I’m a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I’m definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won’t be my story.

Daniel: I’ve always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents’ high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store—for both of us.

The Universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true?

****************************************************************************************************

Review

This was a fun trip through NYC with two clearly defined characters as tour guides. Natasha had the most flakiest dad known to mankind; Daniel was the second son who was thrust in the spotlight when the first born son turned out to be a bad bet. I loved these characters both as separate entities and as a couple. They were not complete opposites as the blurb makes the story seem - they just have different ways of handling the individual pressures in their lives.

I enjoyed the side chapters that delved into the history of topics brought up by Natasha and Daniel and the ones that showed a deeper history of their parents to explain why the parents were the way they were without letting them off the hook for their mistakes in their relationship with their respective children. The epilogue seemed a little too wish fillment/dreamscape, but this is a YA romance so I let it be.

review 2019-01-27 20:09
[REVIEW] The Sun is also a Star by Nicola Yoon
The Sun Is Also a Star - Nicola Yoon

This book is so... bittersweet. For a hot second, I thought it was going to end badly and I was ready to hurtle my e-reader across the room but it ended well so I’m pleased. Some parts resonated with me more than I wanted to (like immigration, regret, dreaming so much you forget to live) and I had to take breaks in case it overwhelmed me. Daniel is a sweetie and Natasha... I just wanted to hug her.

review 2018-09-30 00:00
Lift Off
Lift Off - Lamar Giles,Nicola Yoon,Malin... Lift Off - Lamar Giles,Nicola Yoon,Malinda Lo,Melissa de la Cruz,Sara Farizan,Sharon Flake,Eric Gansworth,Walter Dean Myers,Daniel José Older,Thien Pham,Jason Reynolds,Gene Luen Yang Eraser Tattoo: 3.75
Meet Cute: 3
Don't pass me by: 4
review 2018-07-20 01:34
Review: The Sun is Also a Star
The Sun Is Also a Star - Nicola Yoon

Nicola Yoon's The Sun is Also a Star, is a breathtaking adventure. It's filled with fact vs. fate.

The story follows two teenagers, Natasha Kingsley, a 17-year-old Jamaican immigrant who is on the brink of deportation and Daniel Bae, a 17-year-old Korean American who is on the brink of making his own choice or following what his parents want. They cross paths, Daniel is convinced its destiny, Natasha doesn't believe in destiny, mostly because she doesn't want to.

Nevertheless, Natasha and Daniel go on an emotional journey together, and it changes them for the better.

This novel is absolutely incredible. Yoon doesn't fail to bring every emotion out of you through her words.

It is extremely well-written, and it is written in the perspective of Natasha and Daniel as well as supporting characters (and minor characters) that they cross paths with. It's captivating, beautiful, funny, riveting. It is a must-read.

I give it 5 stars.

P.S. The Sun is Also a Star is being adapted into a movie featuring Yara Shahidi and Charles Melton scheduled for release in 2019.