I think I have my card sorted out, but my books still need some work.
This is my marker for read books:
And these will be used below the marker to mark called squares (colour chosen will depend on colour of background square:
Here's an example using the centre square of my card:
In case anyone's wondering, I'm using GIMP as my image editing software; it allows me to save the stickers as different layers. There's a bit of a learning curve, but no more than any other software and it's free (they accept donations though).
Now for the books! I've listed possibilities for each square rather than chosen a specific book (although in some cases I only list one).
1. A Grimm Tale: The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden;
2. Genre: Horror: Catskinner’s Book by Misha Burnett; Rust: Season One by Christopher Ruz; Gristle & Bone by Duncan Ralston; North American Lake Monsters by Nathan Ballingrud;
3. Shifters: The Queen is Dead by Kate Locke; Discworld Night Watch books; Finishing School books; others?
4. Doomsday: Sugar Scars by Travis Norwood;
- 5. Darkest London: this shouldn't be hard, but I haven't listed any specific books yet
6. 13: Raven Black by Ann Cleeves
7. Supernatural: Catskinner’s Book by Misha Burnett; Salvage: a Ghost Story by Duncan Ralston; The Reaper’s Daughter by K. M. Randall; The Liminal People by Ayize Jama-Everett; The Nun’s Dragon; Wyrmhole by Jay Caselberg; The Queen is Dead by Kate Locke; Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett; The Prayer of the Night Shepherd by Phil Rickman
8. Spellbound: Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett
9. Creepy Carnivals: Mechanique by Genevieve Valentine
10. Terrifying women: The Reaper’s Daughter by K. M. Randall; A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas; anything by Agatha Christie, Ellis Peters, Candace Robb, Lindsey Davis....
11. Ghost stories: Salvage: a Ghost Story by Duncan Ralston;
12. Relics and Curiosities: The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett;
13. Free Space: Avarice by Annie Bellet; Get Well Soon by Jennifer Wright;
14. Diverse voices: The Liminal People by Ayize Jama-Everett; A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas;
15. Terror in a small town: Rust: Season One by Christopher Ruz; Salvage: a Ghost Story by Duncan Ralston; [I might need another option here]
16. Fear the Drowning Deep: Kraken by China Miéville;
17. Deadlands: The Vampire of Northanger by Bryce C. Anderson; The Queen is Dead by Kate Locke; Get Well Soon by Jennifer Wright;
18. Genre: Suspense: The Liminal People by Ayize Jama-Everett; [I'm sure there are others...?]
19. Amateur sleuth: The Harper’s Quine by Pat McIntosh; The Nun’s Tale by Candace Robb (Owen Archer); An Excellent Mystery by Ellis Peters (Cadfael);
20. Country house mystery: Behold, Here’s Poison by Georgette Heyer;
21. Cryptozoologist: The Nun’s Dragon by Christine Emmert; Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett (yeti)
22. Baker Street Irregulars: ....
23. New release: Before Mars by Emma Newman
24. Murder Most Foul: The Harper’s Quine by Pat McIntosh; The Nun’s Tale by Candace Robb; many others....
25. Gothic: The Vampire of Northanger by Bryce C. Anderson; The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole [I've never read it];
We'll see if I have to use any author cheats. There's always the second Flavia book for Baker Street Irregulars, I suppose, but I was trying to mostly stick to Mount TBR books. I always struggle with "suspense" as a genre. Maybe I can call The Prayer of the Night Shepherd suspense.
I made use of MbD lists in several cases to come up with some of the possibilities (to remind myself of books that are on my TBR), so thank you to everyone who contributed to them!