logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: non-fiction
Load new posts () and activity
review 2022-11-29 18:26
Verity - Colleen Hoover

I feel like everyone has read CoHo but me, so I found one and sat to read. Now I get what all the hype was about. If you haven't read anything by this author before, I suggest this book as a wicked place to start. I hope all of her books are this good.
I like a twisted story, and this was exactly that! Oh, but it was so much more too!
You hate Verity for most of the story.
Then you end up feeling like you should be worried for Lowen.
Who did what?! Why?! You think you know but do you really.
And usually in books such as these the ending gets rushed and lost but nope. The author weaved it all together perfectly and you wanted another story where you knew one would fit. With Lowen.
In my mind, this could totally be a series. I'm assuming the author is done though. My mind isn't!!!
I can't wait to devour more from this author!

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2022/11/verity-colleen-hoover-51.html
review 2022-11-24 04:28
Against All Odds - Chuck Norris

Who wouldn't want to read about one of the best kick-butt actors of all time?!
The memoir did not disappoint. Whether you are a fan or not. You are familiar with his work. I was fascinated by some of the things that I didn't know about him, like his name is Carlos and not Chuck.
It was told in a great tone too. Chuck telling his story in a way that suited his Christianity also, which is appreciated. You have to respect a man who is not afraid to love God out loud, as Chuck does.
Great family too. Having children later in life, and his reasoning made sense to me. I almost chose to have later-life babies as well, but did not. I hope it's not a regret that I will one day garner deeply.
Good book though, as far as memoirs go.

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2022/11/against-all-odds-chuck-norris-50.html
review 2022-11-13 19:26
Beautiful Scars - Tom Wilson

A coworker lent me this book for two reasons. I read a lot of memoirs, and this guy is a Hamiltonian like us. We see him around the city, the studio he frequents is downtown where I live, so it was cool to learn more about him.
However, I liked him more before I read his story.
So he has a crazy life story, from his birth story to his life as a musician. I just found him to be more arrogant and stuck up which I didn't previously think he was. I liked this cloudy version of a celebrity that I had with knowing so little about him. I just knew the guy that said hi as you passed the studio, not the person inside this book.
It didn't help when he told us about his parents, and his mom was racist. Being Native that hit me in a way I didn't want... you know it kind of put me off from wanting to connect to Tom and his story after that. I know he isn't racist, but just hearing how awful his mom could be made it tough to digest. Like he is Native and she didn't want him to know that. That's messed up!
There were things I really loved about his story though. His feelings on being a dad and how he is there for his kids no matter what. Plus this guy was a huge addict and is sober now. That is always something to respect and applaud.
Sometimes it is better to just be a fan, and not know so much about a person though. Not every story will better than whatever you create in your head.

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2022/11/beautiful-scars-tom-wilson-49.html
review 2022-11-05 02:25
The Rules of Magic - Alice Hoffman
The Rules of Magic: A Novel - Alice Hoffman

I wish I liked this story more than I actually did.
I mean, when Hyland died I cried like it was a family member. I was devastated. I think I'm still devastated.
That was probably the best part of the story though. The rest was good, but slow-paced and not what I wanted.
After Practical Magic I just thought it would be more magical.
The talent in the writing based on that one part has me wanting to read more from the author. I know she is a good writer. Just maybe the hype around this one pumped it up so much that I expected more.

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2022/11/the-rules-of-magic-alice-hoffman-48.html
review 2022-10-22 15:43
Still Game - Rumaan Alam

This was my least favorite of the series.
I didn't like the style of writing.
I didn't like the story.
I didn't think it fit with the series at all.
No mystery, no suspense, no thrills, nothing.
Just words. Telling us of a vacation. Nothing special happened.
I'm bored.