logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: non-fiction
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-11-16 03:28
William Shakespeare's The Force Doth Awaken: Star Wars Part the Seventh
William Shakespeare's The Force Doth Awaken: Star Wars Part the Seventh (William Shakespeare's Star Wars) - Ian Doescher

It’s been a while since I last visited William Shakespeare’s Star Wars. When I read the Dramatis Personae and the rathtars were described as “jolly monsters” it felt like coming home. (And that was even before they started singing.)

Diving into one of these is always an adventure on multiple levels. How will Doescher Shakeaspeareanize this movie? What nerdy Easter eggs will he hide in the text? Do the rathtars have good singing voices? (The answers are: 1. Pretty damn well. 2. So many nerdy Easter eggs! 3. In my head they sounded an awful lot like the Three Tenors. It was magical.)

This is one of those books you may want to read at least twice. Once for the hell of it, and once more to see if you can find all those Easter eggs that Doescher teases in his afterword. I had to flip back through it right away to decipher BB-8’s dialog, which I’d been skipping over because it is not easy on the eye:

Zzwaflit blee roohblic bleeflib zilf blikflii,

Blox flirzooz blis blox flitblic bloozood flir

Reej zoodreej blee reej flirblip zzwaflit flirr

Bluuflir zoonflii flew blavrooq bleeflit blis!

Doesn’t quite roll off the tongue like R2’s dialog, but when you realize what’s going on, it’s freaking brilliant.

Overall, this is a worthy addition to the series. It’s seriously Shakespearean Star Wars that doesn’t take itself seriously. It’s remarkably easy to picture the likes of Oscar Isaac and Adam Driver delivering these lines in classic theatrical fashion, but lest you forget it’s parody, there are the likes of the singing rathtars to remind you. I got a particularly good laugh out of the two Stormtroopers discussing the plot similarities to the original trilogy.

But I’ve gushed enough, and if I keep going I’ll start quoting entire scenes, so I’ll leave you with this bit of stage direction:

[Finn] salutes BB-8, who salutes in return using his droidly implements.

[source]

review 2018-11-15 18:52
Dark Force Rising / Timothy Zahn
Dark Force Rising - Timothy Zahn

The dying Empire's most cunning and ruthless warlord—Grand Admiral Thrawn—has taken command of the remnants of the Imperial fleet and launched a massive campaign aimed at the New Republic's destruction. Meanwhile, Han and Lando Calrissian race against time to find proof of treason inside the highest Republic Council—only to discover instead a ghostly fleet of warships that could bring doom to their friends and victory to their enemies.

Yet most dangerous of all is a new Dark Jedi, risen from the ashes of a shrouded past, consumed by bitterness… and scheming to corrupt Luke Skywalker to the Dark Side.

Recommended for Star Wars junkies and younger sci-fi readers.

The author leans heavily on the reader’s assumed knowledge of the Star Wars franchise. Now, it would seem that a person cannot live in our society these days without knowing the basics of the movies, but I admit that I have never watched them. So I have no emotional involvement arising from the films.

As I said in my review of Heir to the Empire, I find that these books would be better suited to the young adult age group and skewed toward the lower end of that—maybe age 11 to 14? Very simple vocabulary, uncomplicated plot, very black-or-white characterization. There are fights and deaths, but not described in gory detail. Princess Leia is pregnant, but that is the full extent of the acknowledgement of sexuality. Readers are very obviously supposed to be picturing Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill in their minds’ eye while reading and superimposing their film knowledge over the skeleton that Zahn provides.

Readers that enjoy this trilogy should also consider reading the Legend of Drizzt series by R.A. Salvatore. They require about the same level of reading ability and provide less graphic violence than some other science fiction/fantasy series.

Book number 298 in my Science Fiction & Fantasy Reading Project.

review 2018-11-15 17:00
The Unannounced Christmas Visitor Review and Giveaway!

About the Book

Book: The Unannounced Christmas Visitor
Author: Patrick Higgins
Genre: Christian fiction/Christmas
Release Date: November 18, 2014

What if angels really did come from the most unlikely of places? That’s exactly what happens in this heartwarming story, set in a homeless community in Anywhere USA. Sent to Planet Earth by his Maker, disguised as a homeless person, Enoch was on a mission: to rescue a man whose life was slowly but steadily spiraling out of control Inspired by Hebrews 13:2, “Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it,” this story will stir your soul like never before, guaranteed! 2016 IPA (INTERNATIONAL PUBLISHER AWARDS) GOLD MEDAL AWARD WINNER.

Click here to purchase your copy!

About the Author

Patrick Higgins is the author of “The Pelican Trees”, “Coffee In Manila”, the award-winning “The Unannounced Christmas Visitor”, and the award-winning prophetic end times series, “Chaos In The Blink Of An Eye.”

Guest Post from Patrick

Why I wrote the book: Inspired by Hebrews 13:2, “Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it,” this story will stir your soul like never before, guaranteed!

My Review

“Those who rest in the promise that God really does take care of those who belong to Him, despite what happens each day, are the ones who leave all of the consequences to Him.”

Reminiscent of a Hallmark Channel movie, “The Unannounced Christmas Visitor” certainly embodies the spirit of the Christmas season. The reading experience was an unexpected surprise because on the surface it seemed as though the story was very transparent. From the beginning I knew what was going on, and the revelations were apparent. As an avid reader of mysteries and thrillers, this concerned me because I was uncertain about what this meant for the book. What now? What is going to keep me turning the pages?

As it turns out, in spite of my misgivings, I became emotionally invested in this book. The characters were not unique, and I say this in a good way because they represent all of us and enable us to connect with them so easily. They aren’t perfect; they reflect our own sins and shortcomings, with a familiar internal monologue of contending thoughts. Marital troubles, homelessness, and hypocrisy are some of the main themes. Where this story really shines is through how it navigates these predicaments, embracing them rather than shying away from them. “The Unannounced Christmas Visitor” contains a plethora of Scripture, which will be reassuringly familiar to seasoned Christians and immersive and enlightening to non-Christians. Not only that, but the way in which the story tackles the difficult questions offers readers a different perspective. This book is nothing if not inspirational, and it is a call to action for all of us to entertain strangers, not only at Christmastime but all year round.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through CelebrateLit and was not required to post a favorable review. All opinions are my own.

Blog Stops

Bigreadersite, November 22

amandainpaNovember 23

A Baker’s Perspective, November 23

Giveaway

To celebrate his tour, Patrick is giving away a $50 Amazon gift card!

Be sure to comment on the blog stops for nine extra entries into the giveaway! Click the link below to enter. https://promosimple.com/ps/d5c7/the-unannounced-christmas-visitor-tour-giveaway

review 2018-11-15 15:52
Captivating the Earl by Callie Hutton

Captivating the Earl

Synopsis

Lady Elizabeth is hiding in the country as a governess, Miss Lizzie Moore. When handsome Lord Hawkins arrives at her employer’s house, she wants nothing to do with the roguish earl, even though her heart says otherwise.

Lord Hawkins is a rake of the highest order but when he is drawn to his cousin’s beautiful governess he must rein in his impulses. She can’t be his, though Hawk can’t stop thinking about her.

After an attempt on Lizzie’s life, Hawk learns who she really is. In defiance of orders from the Home Office to bring her in, he vows to protect her. Even though he’s not entirely sure she’s innocent, she is his responsibility. Lizzie doesn’t trust him but has grown to love him. When Hawk offers her the ultimate safeguard against nefarious scoundrels—his name—she refuses. She loves him, but fears she’s merely another one of his ’duties.’

Add to Goodreads Shelf

Review

It is an absolutely amazing historical fiction novel. I loved everything about it, the story, the characters, the starting, and the ending. I think it's perfect in every way.

Lizzie has been hiding since her father disappeared. She fears that the ton would not accept daughter of a traitor and it seemed like the right thing to do. She has found a perfectly acceptable position as a governess and has been living comfortably... until Lord Hawkins arrives at his cousin's estate. She hopes that he doesn't recognize her but more importantly than that it seems that they both have a mutual attraction which cannot be ignored. She is a member of the staff and it is unseemly for Lord Hawkins to pay her so much attention. However, the real trouble starts when he receives a letter from the Home Office and suddenly it appears that Miss Lizzie's life is in grave danger.

Hawk cannot believe that Miss Lizzie is actually Lady Elizabeth, but something about her had intrigued him right from the moment he met her. Now it is up to him to keep her safe and he cannot trust anyone. Because there seems to be another traitor in their midst, one who wants her dead. They both flee and must uncover the truth before something really bad happens.

As the two spend more time together they begin to realize how much they love each other. If this ended well they might find something truly beautiful to cherish for the rest of their lives.

It's a must read a historical romance novel. I loved the story, it's well-written and has some amazing characters. I especially loved Lizzie and Hawk's characters. Their story was definitely worth reading for me.

P.S. I received a complimentary copy of this book via NetGalley.

Source: mineofbooks.blogspot.com/2018/11/review-captivating-earl-by-callie-hutton.html
review 2018-11-15 08:44
Emmy Noether, Auguste Dick
Emmy Noether, 1882 1935 - Auguste Dick

Emmy Noether was one of the greatest mathematicians of the 20th Century and the greatest algebraist (except, maybe, Andrew Wiles?). She revolutionised the approach to her field and, entirely by accident, proved a connection between symmetry laws and conservation laws which has profound consequences for physics. Despite this, she is much less famous than many of her contemporaries, such as Hilbert, Weyl and Klein. Proper recognition of her talents and acheivements, outside the abstract algebra community is only just beginning.

She lived at a time of widespread institutional and individual sexism and anti-Semetism and at that point in history, in the worst possible country for a female Jew - Germany. Anybody who came into close acquaintance with her realised her unique genius but, despite their best efforts, she was never able to obtain a proper, permanent academic post and, with the rise of the Nazis, she had to emigrate to the USA in order to carry on working in any academic capacity.

She died suddenly and unexpectedly of complications from what should have been a routine surgical procedure at the height of her mathematical powers, a very unusual state of affiars as most mathematicians do their best work before they are 30.

This biography seems to be written by a mathematician for other mathematicians. The details of Noether's life are sketchy, because there isn't much documentary evidence and there is no attempt to explain what Noether's acheivements were to people without a very advanced education in algebra. There are, however, reprints of three obituaries appended to the main text and one of these (Weyl's) takes on the task with moderate success - but still probably unintelligible to people without a significant mathematical background.

I think people should read this book regradless of their level of mathematical education and just skim the technical stuff if it seems like gibberish in order to understand what an extraordinary talent Noether had and what she, with unfailing positivity, had to put up with in order to do her lastingly influential, pioneering work.