logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: non-fiction
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-05-30 05:00
When I Meet You Review and GIVEAWAY!

About the Book

Book:  When I Meet You

Author: Olivia Newport

Genre:  Christian fiction

Release Date: May, 2020

Book 3 in the Tree of Life Series: A Father-Daughter Genealogy Team Link Faith Journeys on Family Trees

A trunk abandoned at Denver’s Union Station more than a century ago leads Jillian and Nolan to untangle the mystery of its contents—including correspondence with the head of Pinkerton’s National Detective Agency Denver office. While Nolan digs into the legalities of the findings, Jillian searches for the descendants of a stolen identity who might not be who they think they are on Colorado ranch land. When Drew seems anxious to hear what Jillian has to say but his Great Aunt Min slams the subject closed—twice—Jillian is all the more determined to find out what happened to the woman who never claimed her luggage, why Min doesn’t want to talk about it, and what will happen for Drew if he gets the answers he seeks.

When I Meet You is the third book in the Tree of Life series by Olivia Newport. You’ll want to return to the lovely Colorado mountain town of Canyon Mines again and again to explore and celebrate unforgettable family stories that will inspire you to connect with your own family histories and unique faith journeys.

Click HERE to get your copy!

About the Author

Olivia Newport’s novels twist through time to find where faith and passions meet. Her husband and twentysomething children provide welcome distraction from the people stomping through her head on their way into her books. She chases joy in stunning Colorado at the foot of Pikes Peak.

More from Olivia

Stolen Identity or Stolen Secrets?

Years ago I made a business trip to a country in Asia. Somehow I managed to pack for two weeks in carry-on luggage. This was before everyone started carrying electronic devices that required a bag of their own, and the impoverished area I visited had only intermittent electricity anyway.

When it was time to come home, my luggage met the requirements to keep it with me as I traveled halfway around the world through several airports. But at the boarding gate, a woman pushed a cart stacked with six oversized and overstuffed suitcases, insisting she had to take all of them on the plane. Her argument was that she couldn’t risk losing her personal belongings. She was moving back to the States, this was everything she owned, and she just wasn’t having this nonsense about abiding by the same limitations as the other 300 people in line or that none of those bags would fit in an overhead compartment anyway. The airline staff began waving people around her to get the large aircraft boarded on time for an international flight. She was one of the last people to take her seat—without her bags.

I admit I prefer keeping my bags with me and getting in and out of airports quickly. And once my bags didn’t come off the same plane I did, and it took a few hours for them to be delivered to me.

But what happens to truly unclaimed baggage? One-half to one percent of baggage that goes through American airports is never claimed. Airlines will try for ninety days to find the owners. If they can’t, they have to do something with it. Generally it’s sold, sight unseen, to the Unclaimed Baggage Center in Alabama. There it is opened and sorted into what can be cleaned and sold in their store, what might be donated, and what has no value and is disposed of as trash. They find some pretty interesting things!

But my brain goes back to the curious question of why the baggage is unclaimed in the first place.

It’s not just because the airline lost it. We’ve all seen the lines of suitcases that baggage handlers remove from the circling conveyer belt because they’ve been around enough times that it’s obvious no one is there to pick them up after the flight. People got off the plane and left the airport without their bags. Why?

My new book, When I Meet You, raises the same question about travel in the railroad era. A trunk abandoned at Denver’s Union Station more than a century ago surfaces, leading genealogist Jillian and her lawyer father, Nolan, to untangle the mystery of its contents—including correspondence with the head of Pinkerton’s National Detective Agency Denver office. While Nolan digs into the legalities of the findings, Jillian searches for the descendants of a stolen identity who might not be who they think they are on Colorado ranch land. When Drew seems anxious to hear what Jillian has to say but his Great Aunt Min slams the subject closed—twice—Jillian is all the more determined to find out what happened to the woman who never claimed her luggage, why Min doesn’t want to talk about it, and what will happen for Drew if he gets the answers he seeks.

When I Meet You is the third book in the Tree of Life series. Return to the lovely Colorado mountain town of Canyon Mines again and again to explore and celebrate unforgettable family stories that will inspire you to connect with your own family histories and unique faith journeys.

My Review

As someone interested in genealogy, even though I’ve never really pursued it, the Tree of Life series intrigued me from the very beginning. I love reading about Jillian’s work and research because, although it is fictional, it is also based on the real efforts of contemporary genealogists, and it speaks to that desire in all of us to know where we come from and who our ancestors are. That is also where the faith element fits in so perfectly, because ultimately we are all children of our Father God, and He has given us such a glorious legacy through Jesus!

Of the three books in this series thus far, “When I Meet You” is my favorite. Author Olivia Newport is now, by book three, really settling us in to Canyon Mines, Colorado, and I feel like a part of this small but bustling town. This book is also the most personal for the characters, who are becoming more dynamic. I have enjoyed them from the outset, but I realized while reading this latest addition to the series that they are growing in their relationships with each other. For the first time, Jillian’s past grief comes to the forefront, making her very vulnerable and resulting in some uncharacteristic behavior. Her relationship with Nolan, her dad, hits a few poignant patches, making it much more credible and relatable than the sweet but perhaps too-perfect connection that we have seen prior. I can relate to Jillian’s perseverance and nearly obsessive doggedness in solving the mystery, and I would find it difficult to set aside also.

This is also my favorite mystery of the three. Each book is a split-time story, with the primary story occurring in the present, but also with part of the plot worked out through scenes from the past. The personal connection that the characters have to this story truly enhances it and adds a great deal of dimension. To me, it seems as though they moved from being on the periphery and being drawn into the story to having the story revolve around them and having the other characters become more peripheral. Without giving any spoilers, I will just say that the issues that they contend with in this novel are ones that are very prevalent today. And, if you ever happen to come across an old trunk in your attic, or at a yard sale, open it; you never know what life-changing surprises might await you!

I received a complimentary copy of this book through Celebrate Lit and was not required to post a favorable review. All opinions are my own.

Blog Stops

Through the Fire Blogs, May 28

Debbie’s Dusty Deliberations, May 28

Texas Book-aholic, May 29

deb’s Book Review, May 29

For the Love of Literature, May 30

Lighthouse Academy Blog, May 30 (Guest Review from Marilyn Ridgway)

A Reader’s Brain, May 31

Remembrancy, June 9

Moments, June 10

With a Joyful Noise, June 10

Giveaway

To celebrate her tour, Olivia is giving away the grand prize of a $25 Amazon Gift Card and a copy of the book!!

Be sure to comment on the blog stops for nine extra entries into the giveaway! Click the link below to enter.

review 2020-05-29 18:50
A Goddess Among Men
A Goddess Among Men - Daniel Davidsohn
Alan Reid and Julian Welch have both found themselves in the Amazon rainforest in 1907 in search of their fortunes in the form of rubber.  Both men are extremely motivated, but that is where their similarities end.  Alan is ruthless, manipulative and not afraid to break any rules.  Julian is kind-hearted, genuine and charismatic.  They form a dangerous partnership that pays off through a series of not-so-legal transactions on Alan's part.  The Reid & Welch empire is born and expands through the years to a multi-billion dollar corporation.  Upon Julian's death he attempts to assure his daughter, Christel's as heir to the empire by having Alan adopt her.  However, Alan has other plans for Christel and places her in a secret program.  As Alan nears death, he tracks down Christel and prepares to hand over everything.  Christel does not balk and takes on the challenge, turning the immense wealth into something good.  Years later, a property in the Amazon that Reid & Welch owns begins trouble for everything that Christel has built for her family.

A Goddess Among Men is a generational family saga reaching over a century.  The plot was intense and high stakes keeping the story at a good pace. Moving from the Amazon Jungle to New York City and back again definitely kept things interesting.   The point of view was from the third person, which didn't really allow me to feel close to any of the characters, however most of the characters were not especially likable people.  I would have loved to know more of Alan and Julien's backstories and what motivated them to be the type of people they became. Christel's story was by far the most intriguing.  I couldn't imagine being raised in a training program and used how she was and coming out anything near ok.  Christel's amazing sense of self, confidence and struggles to do better than those who came before her shine through.  I was engaged in her decisions with taking over Reid & Welch and righting the wrongs of the past.  As the story moved back to the Amazon, I was intrigued by the environmental issues and impacts.  Overall, a compelling story of the implications of power and wealth, especially when in the wrong hands.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.
review 2020-05-29 17:35
The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins
The Library at Mount Char - Scott Hawkins

I was tempted to abandon this book after the first chapter, but I didn’t want to pick another book for the square I was reading it for. A lot of animals and a lot of people die in this book, and I don’t feel that the payoff of the story is worth the suffering. There’s also rape, and insane levels of child abuse. What is almost worse is the way that the children come to devalue their own lives as a result. I was rooting against the main character for most of it. In retrospect, I’m not even sure the story makes sense when you start to think it through. I mean, I don’t actually see why all the cruelty was supposedly necessary given the ending.

I debated between one and two stars but I’ve rated books that I’ve enjoyed more at two stars, so…

Previous updates:

56 %

review 2020-05-29 17:26
An Excellent Mystery by Ellis Peters
An Excellent Mystery - Ellis Peters

An Excellent Mystery by Ellis Peters

Series: Cadfael #11

This is an unusual Cadfael in that the mystery is in the form of a missing person rather than a body that someone stumbles across. I wasn’t sure what to rate it because although I did figure it out fairly early on, I wasn’t sure how my theory could work, and I didn’t know if I was right. Overall I did enjoy the read but I’m not sure if my figuring it out so early was expected or a good thing. I mean, it’s fun when you can guess or try to guess the solution to the mystery rather just having the solution handed to you at a platter at the end, but I’m not sure whether I was supposed to figure it out so soon. Things did work out rather neatly but that’s the way Ellis Peters liked to write these. They’re basically cozy historical mysteries.

Previous updates:

25 %

review 2020-05-28 16:19
From My TBR – Stranger in Town by Cheryl Bradshaw @cherylbradshaw
Stranger in Town - Cheryl Bradshaw

I received a copy of Stranger in Town by Cherly Bradshaw from her assistant on 10.5.16 and added it to my Goodreads TBR on 12.15.17. Don’t ask me why I waited so long to add it to my shelf or to read it, because I can’t tell you.

The sweet cover does not foreshadow the ugly story inside.

Stranger in Town (Sloane Monroe, #4)

Amazon / Audiobook / Goodreads

MY REVIEW

Stranger in Town by Cheryl Bradshaw is the fourth book in the Sloane Monroe Mystery series. It falls between a cozy and the dark, hardcore suspense that I love so much. I did enjoy meeting Sloan and love that she is a PI instead of a cop. She’s a PI because, “I don’t like people.” She doesn’t play well with others.

Stranger in Town deals with a difficult subject, child trafficking. Though Cheryl Bradshaw doesn’t delve into specific details that occur all too often with those taken, it is not any less frightening.

Olivia knew something wasn’t right….but she was frozen in fear.

Imagine your child at your side, doing your normal grocery shopping. An innocent errand turns horrific when you notice she is no longer at your side, no longer in the store… I can’t imagine anything more terrifying.

Sloane has her own backstory, which is what drives her to commit everything she has to finding the young girls. There are now two missing, a four year old, Savannah, and a six year old, Olivia. What could someone possibly want with them? Did they want them for their own? Did they want them to sell them?

Sloane wants to make everything whole again. She is methodical, thinking things through before acting, but something is different this time. She’s different. She will do whatever needs doing to get justice. I can relate to her desire to run when she is cornered. It’s all about perspective. Sometimes stepping away opens your eyes to what is in front of you.

Uh oh. At 55% I smelled a rat!

When Sloane talked to Sierra, Savannah’s little friend, it was heartbreakingly sweet.

In Stranger in Town, Cheryl Bradshaw covers more of Sloane’s search for the missing girls than the subject of human trafficking. There was more than one instance when I thought a character was suspicious, but it wasn’t for the reason I expected. We do have a twist, and that will happen when the villain feels he was betrayed, or put at risk of being exposed.

I would love to read more of Cheryl’s work and meeting Sloane was well worth the time.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Stranger in Town by Cheryl Bradshaw.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos3 Stars

READ MORE HERE

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • I am an Amazon affiliate/product images are linked.
  • Thanks for visiting!