logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: not-book-related
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-11-22 15:43
Funny Amazon Reviews Aren't So Funny When Read Out Loud
Funny Amazon Reviews - Jane Lynch,Jane Lynch,Audible Comedy

I woke up this morning, let out the dog and stepped my bare foot into a steaming pile of cat vomit one of my furry demons so thoughtfully left for me on the mat nearest the door. Last week it was mouse innards (On My NAKED Foot!!) so I know from personal experience that it could always be worse. Much worse, actually. Still, after that stellar start to the morning I needed a little laugh on my commute to work before I started thinking bad thoughts and decided to give this one a listen.

Maybe it's my current sour mood or just the fact that I've already read 80% of these funny reviews on Amazon, but listening to them barely made me crack a smile. I think they work better on Amazon where you can actually see the product they're riffing on, especially the wolf shirt. You've got to see that wolf shirt if you haven't already. It's also a helluva lot more fun when you can read the accompanying funny reviews of the item because usually once someone starts it spirals into a page filled with wacky reviews.

I'll give this a three because I guess I liked it a little.

review 2016-07-27 01:11
DC Animation – The Killing Joke

I am a huge fan of this single issue stand alone story for Batman.

I mean whats not to be in awe of, the art is timeless, and we are given an origin story, out right , for the single most enduring and iconic villain in comicdom.

tumblr_nabv7n7bqo1tqtw37o1_500

So when DC announced that they were doing an animated version of the story featuring the voice talents of Kevin Conroy, Tara Strong, and Mark Hamill I was over the fucking moon.

This was going to be the greatest Batman animation ever made, and the last 45 minutes of it are…. but damn, that opening half hour… It starts with Barbara Gordon’s last case as Batgirl. Which isn’t my issue, it shows her in a strong capable light for some of it, but my issue comes with how they changed her relationship with Batman.

This is a relationship that has been largely paternal in its portrayal, so much so that Batgirl’s usual beau is one of the Robins. But here they have a scene with Batgirl and batman making out and a later scene confirming they knocked boots.

tumblr_o6adq7zqZb1qb86cao2_540tumblr_o6adq7zqZb1qb86cao1_540

This coming in the prologue reduces the Batgirl character to being stuffed in a refrigerator to propel Batman into his encounter with the Joker. I get that her being paralysed is a turning point for the character and that you needed to do something for a prologue, but you could’ve left out the sex and made it more powerful in my opinion.

Beyond that  though this animation is about the most faithful adaptation of any comic material that I have ever seen. The artists have recreated iconic panels from the one shot comic.

The brutality of Jim Gordon’s torture and descent to the very edge of madness is disturbing and harrowing in a way that is never seen in animated adaptations of western comics.

tumblr_o6a2tnRBGO1rv3w3po6_400

Batman looms larger than life and the stoicism and pain in his persona really come through, especially through his detachment from others and hatred of the Joker. And the Joker, my god the Joker… I’m not going to beat around the bush, Mark Hamill is the star of this. He just is. He delivers the dialogue with such ferocity that the Joker was scarier than he has ever been on screen.

The origin tale still makes you feel for the poor shlub that becomes The Clown Prince of Crime in Gotham City, but that sympathy is juxtaposed with the cold sadism of the man who crippled a woman just to torture her father. It was the same in the book but hearing Hamill but emotion and insanity into that dialogue made it all the more chilling to realise that in the end, the Joker actually has a point…

“All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.”

It’s scary and it’s harrowing because it’s true.

tumblr_o6a2tnRBGO1rv3w3po4_400

Watch it, ignore the prologue and just watch the adaptation. It will give you chills if you know the story. It will make you think if you don’t…

Happy Viewing

Source: archeroftheasylum.wordpress.com/2016/07/26/dc-animation-the-killing-joke
review 2016-03-01 23:10
Feed Review by Archer
Feed - Mira Grant

Well slap my arse and call me Bertha, this book moved me.

I’ve had a great deal of difficulty finding books that I actually give enough of a shit about to finish in recent years. So for me to finish a trilogy… and then go back and re-read the fucking thing is amazeballs. And I fell in love with the plight of the characters in this story from the very moment that I met them.

The background of the world is the gloriously undead. The shambling and rotted masses of the infected. In a world where the common cold and cancer (ALL CANCER) are a thing of the past, the genetically engineered super viruses joined together and had an unexpected side effect… RESURRECTION!

But Brain eating aside, the rest of the world continued. The apocalypse happened, and life moved on. Isn’t that just awesome? there are still cities, utilities, presidential campaigns, TV shows… and the news media has changed in such a way that now the most trusted news outlet sites are blogs, because bloggers didn’t lie about the issue when traditional news did. It’s awesome.

In this tale we follow the crew from the After the End Times news site. They’re three 20 somethings on the presidential campaign as a candidates official press pool. The writing is fresh and easy to follow, and the tone is so absorbing that I honestly read the book in about 3 or 4 sittings around work. I couldn’t put it down, I didn’t just read it, I fucking devoured it.

Mira grant kept the pace flowing at just the right speed, and added conflict and conspiracy with just the right timing that the reader is propelled, page after page, into the heart of a story that is gritty and real, despite the zombies, and shows a tenderness that is not often found in many horror thrillers of it’s ilk.

I don’t want to spoil anything for you for this book because I’d hate for anyone to have done that for me but suffice it to say, if you like thrillers and zombies then this book is definitely worth your time. The characters are likable, the writing is clean and easy to follow, and most importantly (and terrifyingly in my opinion) it’s absolutely believable. The hubris of mankind releasing something unchecked and being unaware and unready for the consequences, but adapting and surviving any way? That happens at least once a generation. And this is an excellent example of what could be. I can’t recommend it enough.

Happy reading peeps!

Archer

Source: Well slap my arse and call me Bertha, this book moved me. I’ve had a great deal of difficulty finding books that I actually give enough of a shit about to finish in recent years. So for me to finish a trilogy… and then go back and re-read the fuck
review 2015-05-10 00:18
Ex Machina movie review

She looks so innocent.

She'll do whatever it takes to survive.

it's moody, atmospheric and excellent.

review 2014-04-15 19:03
Origin By Jennifer L. Armentrout
Origin - Jennifer L. Armentrout

Synopsis:

Daemon will do anything to get Katy back.
After the successful but disastrous raid on Mount Weather, he’s facing the impossible. Katy is gone. Taken. Everything becomes about finding her. Taking out anyone who stands in his way? Done. Burning down the whole world to save her? Gladly. Exposing his alien race to the world? With pleasure.
All Katy can do is survive.
Surrounded by enemies, the only way she can come out of this is to adapt. After all, there are sides of Daedalus that don’t seem entirely crazy, but the group’s goals are frightening and the truths they speak even more disturbing. Who are the real bad guys? Daedalus? Mankind? Or the Luxen?
Together, they can face anything.
But the most dangerous foe has been there all along, and when the truths are exposed and the lies come crumbling down, which side will Daemon and Katy be standing on?
And will they even be together?

My thoughts:

This is the 4th Book in the Lux series and if you have not  read the first 3 books, this will have some spoilers.

I can't say enough how much I enjoyed this book.  It was non-stop action, non-stop suspense and yet there was time for romance and betrayal.

I also enjoyed the fact that the book is in Katy’s and Daemon’s POV. It was very interesting to see things form Daemon POV.

Now that Daedalus has captured Katy and she is held prisoner and forced to work with them, we learn a lot more about Daedalus and what they are really up to. There are some pretty shocking and surprising things that will be revealed.

Daemon will do anything, at any cost to get Katy form Daedalus, even if that means exposing him and his race.

A lot of things are game changers in this book and nothing will be the same after this book.

There were only a few things towards the end, that I thought were not necessary but I could understand it why they did what they did….. But I  don’t think it was necessary to the story.

I can’t wait for the next book to come out and see how it all ends.

The next book (Oppositionis set to be released Aug 5th  2014 according to Goodreads.