logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: not-much-longer-now
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-06-09 19:27
No Longer at Ease - Chinua Achebe

Really enjoyed this instalment in the African Trilogy. It's set in a more "modern" scene than the others (1950s) which I could relate to better but it also flowed quite easily and was a fair bit shorter. And I like how it linked to the others but not in an overly dominating way.

review 2019-04-10 21:06
Stay a Little Longer
Stay a Little Longer - Dawn Lanuza

I really liked this book.

It felt real, not because of the events, but because of how the characters felt. I've been in a sort-of long distance relationship and a lot of the feelings, worries, concerns, about starting one felt incredibly real and emotional. I read this whole book with my boyfriend in the back of my mind, despite the fact our stories aren't really that similar. The way these characters felt about each other, however, was. I even highlighted one line, which I never do, because it resonated with me so much - "I'd been counting wrong the whole time". When you only have a small amount of time with someone, a little change in plans can feel incredibly jarring. I loved how Elan and Caty's relationship developed. It wasn't instant and it wasn't immediately all-encompassing. They worked their way up through the weird friendship stage first. The section of text messages was beautiful, showing simple conversations that people who can't see each other have. It was a lovely quick way of developing the relationship.
Overall this book was very emotional to read, hit close to home, felt realistic, and I would definitely read other books by this author, and maybe more of the #romanceclass books.

show activity (+)
review 2018-10-26 17:19
Five Minutes Longer (Enhanced #1) by Victoria Sue 3.5 Star Review!
Five Minutes Longer - Victoria Sue

Talon Valdez knew when he transformed into an enhanced human, his life and his dreams were finished. Reviled, mistrusted, and often locked away, the enhanced were viewed as monsters, despised by the public, and never trusted to serve in the military or any law enforcement agency.

Years later he gets a chance to set up a task force of enhanced to serve in the FBI, but with one proviso: each enhanced must partner with a regular human.

Finn Mayer dreamed of joining the FBI from the time he was fourteen and made every possible sacrifice to make it happen, including living with his selfish mother and bullying, homophobic brother and never having a boyfriend. But his undiagnosed dyslexia stopped his aspirations dead in their tracks. His last chance is to partner with Talon, an enhanced with deadly abilities who doesn’t trust regular humans with their secrets and wants Finn to fail.

Four weeks to prove himself to the team. Four weeks for the team to prove itself to the public. And when another group threatens their success—and their lives—four weeks for them to survive.

Review

I was in the mood for a fun Paranormal read and this fit the bill.

I like Finn a great deal. Talon keeps things inside a bit too much for me but the action of the plot was good and Finn really likes him.

The world building around the powers is well done if the rest of the world is pretty basic.

So, I love Finn, :) The romance is okay and the powers are intersting. I will read the next in the series.

review 2018-09-18 15:50
different,very different but brilliant!
Five Minutes Longer - Victoria Sue
Independent reviewer for Divine Magazine, I was gifted the AUDIO file of this book. Some 30 years ago, children began waking up with a mark on their faces and enhanced abilities: speed, strength, mental abilities. Talon, now given the job of setting up a human/enhanced task force within the FBI, was one of the first. He doesn't want to work with normals on his team, but this task force is his, and the other enhanced team members, last chance at becoming a useful member of society, not just a mark on his face. Finn wanted to join the FBI forever, and worked hard to get to apply, but he is not accepted. Instead he gets a cryptic phone and flies to Florida, and finds himself face to face with several huge enhanced, one of whom makes Finn want that boyfriend he never had. They have four weeks to make this team work, do or, quite possibly, die. Oooooo-eeeee! Loved this! Different, very different and different is always good in my book! The guys on the team really don't want Finn around, but know they gotta put up with him, at least for a little bit, but he grows on them, Talon especially but Talon fights that attraction all the bloody way, and when he finally gives up the fight?? Oh yes ma'am, that boy falls hard and he falls FAST! And when Finn gets caught in the cross fire at a bank robbery?? Talon goes all MAJOR Alpha-Male- Protect-What's-Mine! I loved that not everything is fully revealed about the guys abilities, I think there is quite a bit more to come! Nick J Russo narrates and he does a sterling job! He's a firm favourite of mine, and each and every time I listen to his work, it becomes my NEW favourite! Russo's voices are clear and distinctive, even in multi person conversations. He reading voice is deep and even and I had no trouble, not at all, keeping up. He gets cross all of Finn's emotions and his reactions to the guys, to Talon. His intense dislike of his brother and how his mum was with his dad. Russo gets across all of Talon's fighting, and that boy fights hard, his feelings for Finn, and you get just how much Finn means to him, when he thinks Finn is lost. This is book one, there appears to be an underlying story arc running through these books, and I look forward to watching that unfold, and to watching these guys fall, like dominoes, one by one. Off to listen to book 2, which is a continuation of Finn and Talon's story. 5 stars for the book 5 stars for the narration 5 stars overall **same worded review will appear elsewhere**

review 2018-08-25 00:00