logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: not-quite-ready
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-10-10 19:09
Guide the future by the past
Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

I FINALLY read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, y'all. I absolutely loved the film adaptation of it and while I also enjoyed the book (hold on to your seats, folks) I preferred the movie version. While the book was able to go into more details in terms of world building and the puzzle solving aspect of the plot I enjoyed the storyline of the movie more. [A/N: I don’t want to give the impression that I didn’t enjoy this reading experience because I definitely did but the film just has an extra oomph.] Additionally, the book's version of Halliday seemed cruel and cold whereas Morrow was a lot of fun (and mostly absent from the film's version). The hero of this dystopian novel, Wade Watts, is living in a world that has become entirely taken over by The Oasis which is a virtual reality environment where anyone can be anyone. The majority of the human race has been crammed into tiny communities that are stacked one on top of the other but their consolation is getting to live their dreams online. Even school is conducted in virtual schools! The creator of this world, James Halliday, passed from this mortal coil but left behind a grand prize (ownership of The Oasis) for anyone who manages to solve his puzzles and find the 3 hidden keys buried within The Oasis.

This is a boy's quest to pull himself from his dire circumstances while learning that he's got the 'right stuff'. (Did I mention this book is chock full of 80's references? I definitely downloaded some Rush albums after I finished reading it.) All in all, a really fun book. 9/10

A/N: Title courtesy of Rush "Bastille Day".

What's Up Next: A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

What I'm Currently Reading: Disappearing Earth by Julia Phillips

Source: readingfortheheckofit.blogspot.com
Like Reblog
review 2019-05-10 00:00
Ready or Not
Ready or Not - Melissa Brayden Melissa Brayden is one of the best lesfic romance writers. Definitely amongst our top three favourites. She writes likeable characters, engaging dialogues, immersive stories with a good balance between emotion and awesome sex scenes.

Read the full review @ https://www.bestlesficreviews.com/2019/05/ready-or-not-by-melissa-brayden.html
show activity (+)
review 2019-04-02 19:51
Ready Player Two
Armada - Ernest Cline

There is a 6 minute short in the Futurama episode Anthology of Interest II in which the character Fry uses his video game skills to fight an alien invasion. Replace Fry with the less likable Zack Lightman and pad it out to 355 pages and you have Armada.

The story borrows heavily from The Last Starfighter, Ender’s Game, and Contact. The author lampshades this by having the main character point out the similarities. Without spoilers, the ending feels like the ending of an average original series Star Trek episode. The novel is not terrible, it has some decent twists, but it is disappointing.

In Cline’s debut novel Ready Player One the main character is a teenage boy who uses his knowledge of 80’s trivia and video games to win a contest and become the richest and most famous man in the world and find true love. In Armada a teenage boy uses his knowledge of video games to save the world, become famous and find true love. It feels like Cline’s only storytelling move is nerd wish fulfillment in which an obsession with video games turns out to be extremely useful instead of completely useless and brings the nerd wealth, power, respect, fame, and love. All things missing from the life of the average video gamer.

I find myself wondering if Armada might have worked better if it had been the sequel to Ready Player One. Wade Watts discovers that while the human race parties in the virtual reality Oasis, an actual alien armada is preparing to attack the Earth. He considers deactivating the Oasis to awaken humanity to the threat, but instead launches a new game in which the players are unknowingly piloting real drones to fight real invaders. Maybe Zack uncovers the conspiracy and reveals to the world that the invasion is real. Maybe that is exactly what Wade hoped would happen and he ends up selecting Zack as his successor. The similarities between the works become a strength because it is a continuation of the story.

review 2019-02-25 15:04
ARC REVIEW Armed 'N' Ready by Tee O'Fallon

Armed 'N' Ready (Federal K-9 #2)Federal K-9 #2, Missed the first book, but that's okay because this is fine as a standalone. This was a great read, with O'Fallon being in law enforcement herself it came off as very realistic. Nick and Andi try as they might to stay professional and not get involved with each other in the middle of a case. A case where Andi Hardt is suspected of being involved in a money laundering and black market gun distribution. Andi will do whatever it takes to clear her name and unfreeze her bank accounts even if that means pretending to hire the annoyingly sexy Nick Houston as her new bartender.

Mass. State Police Sgt. Nick Houston and his K-9, Saxon, are working in junction with the AFT, IRS, and the FBI to try and track down and stop a black market guns dealer so far they have found the accountant who helps with the money laundering. Unfortunately it's Andi's ex-boyfriend who is still a friend and Andi was staying at his house when they executed the warrant. Nick figures that the guy still has some attachment to Andi so he pitches the idea to stay close to her incase the ex calls her everyone likes the idea so Nick goes to work for her at the Dog Park Cafe.

It took something major to get Andi out of the financial world but when she was betrayed by a person who claimed to love her she found a new love in a dog friendly restaurant, it took all the money she had to open it up and now because of yet another betrayal she might lose this too. Andi can't open her heart again not even to the too sexy for his own good Nick. Nick has been so career oriented since his wife died five years ago he was taken by surprise by how much he likes Andi and by how right it feels being with her. But no matter how much he likes her the job must come first.

Overall, I really liked this book. I loved the characters and the dogs. It's a bit of a slow burn because the try to keep their hands off of each other because of the case, heck for a portion of the book Andi does not like Nick because of what they are doing but her attraction to him wins out the more she gets to know him. Nick is more than what he seems and Andi is a headstrong woman and both have pasts that have molded them into who they are now and keep them hesitant from jumping in to quickly.

review 2018-10-22 16:03
Rough & Ready - Tracy Wolff

Tanner Green plays for the San Diego Lightning. He has really made a name for himself as one of the nice guys....probably has to do with having to raise 4 younger sisters and being the grandson of a preacher. Tanner always tries to give back to those in need because he remembers a time in his life when things were much harder.

Elara Vance is an ex-WNBA star player, having to retire because of an injury. Now she runs Rebound, a rec-center for underprivileged youth in her San Diego. Imagine her surprise when she finds out the donation she was suppose to receive ends up going to Tanner's foundation instead. Elara is pissed and wants to tell Tanner off and she does it in such a great way....in his locker room, in front of his friends. It was great. Only problem is, is that Tanner didn't realize any of this happened and he wants to help make things right. Too bad Elara isn't biting.

When Tanner shows up to Rebound that is when the fun begins. He doesn't realize that Elara is an ex-WNBA player and agrees to a little 2 on 2 pick up game each of them picking a youth. Imagine Tanner's surprise when Elara blows him away! I just FLOVE Elara!

As Tanner keeps trying to play nice, Elara isn't buying it. All ballers are just a bunch of players and because of something from her past, she is not getting played again. Slowly, Tanner is starting to break Elara's walls down. Just when it looks like they are going to get their happy ending, the past comes back to haunt both of them and together they need to work very hard to get that happy ending.

I loved both of these characters. Tanner really is a perfect guy. Sweet, thoughtful, loving....what more do you need???? Elara is such a strong female and loves to speak her mind. You do not want to cross her! I really enjoyed their happy ending too! Overall this was a great end to such a fun series.