logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: on-the-kindle
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-11-22 00:57
A Puzzle To Be Named Later
A Puzzle to Be Named Later - Parnell Hall

How bad is it that while listening to this book, I was laughing out loud and people didn't know what I was listening to. I was at McDonald's last night when my girls were at an event at the library and I plugged into the tablet to listen to the story, while knitting and I was laughing so hard at several points. I already had the book in Kindle format (just didn't want to wait for it to open on the tablet) and I borrowed a hard copy. I wanted my girls to read this story as well. The two points that I laughed? Little Jennifer (about 3 years old) says, "Ratface" about a character and later when she was "left" with a police officer while her mother and great-aunt go into an office the mother says, "What do we say to the police?" and she responds, "You'll never take me alive copper!" My youngest took the book and ran off with it. My middle downloaded the Kindle book and I finished listening to the book while I made a cake for my daughter's birthday.

Matt Greystone and his wife have come to town so he can recuperate from his broken arm. It is while he is in town that a reporter who is known for reporting rumors and lies that he is murdered and the search is on for the killer. Cora is the Puzzle Lady and they keep coming to her to find out the solution to crossword puzzles and she is a huge Yankees fan and so does her best to find the truth of who murdered him to keep the player and his wife out of jail.

review 2018-11-21 11:54
Review: "A Very Henry Christmas" (The Weight Of It All, #1.5) by N.R. Walker
A Very Henry Christmas - N.R. Walker

~ 4 stars ~

review 2018-11-20 22:27
Abandoning "Tantrics of Old"
Tantrics of Old - Krishnarjun Bhattacharya
Lies Sleeping - Ben Aaronovitch

I have been reading "Tantrics of Old" as my Diwali book for 24 Festive Task but I've reluctantly decided to DNF it at 30%.

The ideas behind the book are fascinating - a ruined but magical Old Kolkata contrasted with a clean and shiny New Kolkata that outlaws magic - a newish take on demons and witches and necromancers.

Sadly, the writing plods along, the structure of the storytelling is clumsy and the characters are too thinly drawn to care about.

When I found myself treating reading it as a chore I decided to DNF it.

So now I need another book for Diwali.

This time I'm going with: "a book that is the latest in a series".

The latest Peter Grant / Rivers of London book, "Lies Sleeping" dropped onto my audible TBR shelf this week so I'm picking that as the replacement.

I'm certain that reading it won't be a chore.

review 2018-11-20 21:38
The Last Camel Died at Noon
The Last Camel Died at Noon - Elizabeth Peters

This is book 6 of the series. The Emerson Family start out in England, planning their next journey and are bothered by a Reggie and his grandfather. They want the Emerson's to find the missing heir to the family fortune and title. It seems that Emerson knew the man and his wife before they disappeared in the desert somewhere near Sudan. While they were on their site, Reggie once again appears and after he leaves to find his uncle, aunt, and cousin, he promises to come back if he doesn't find the true way. When his man-servant returns to them, they get things together and go after Reggie. They use their map and find all the markings. But their camels are dying one by one and the men run away taking all the supplies. They take only what they need and continue on, with one servant. When Amelia falls too ill to continue, this servant takes off but brings help back. They then find themselves in a legendary place with their former servant who is a prince and his brother, both waiting to see who will be king after the death of their father.

The story at times so very long, but there are moments when you find yourself laughing at things that have happened and you have to remind yourself that this is set at a time where women had a different status. It is a fun story. I am trying to read some more of this series.

review 2018-11-20 15:00