logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: own-Kindle
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-06-25 11:02
Review: “The Flesh Cartel #15: Twenty-Five (The Flesh Cartel Season 5: Reclamation)” (The Flesh Cartel, #15) by Rachel Haimowitz & Heidi Belleau
The Flesh Cartel #15: Twenty-Five (The Flesh Cartel Season 5: Reclamation) - Heidi Belleau,Rachel Haimowitz

~ 4 stars ~

review 2018-06-25 04:18
The Leavers
The Leavers: A Novel - Lisa Ko

This was an amazing book, on a difficult, timely issue. It feels truthful, since it represents many points of view and the complexities of immigration, without candy-coating anything. There are no heroes in this story, and most, if not all of the characters are flawed in some way. There were parts that made me ambivalent when I did not feel empathetic enough — Polly enters the country owing $50,000 to a loan shark and pregnant, which hardly seems like the better life she longs to give her unborn child. When this better life includes a trip for her son back to China to live with family for years, I wondered why she didn't let him stay where he was loved and settled. Instead, her son suffers a return to an unfamiliar land (and parent), and we begin to see that the life Polly imagined for him will only be achieved once she leaves him for good. This new life is far from perfect, and, while Polly's son Deming struggles with his own identity, Ko brings into focus the many small hypocrisies of a privileged white mindset that, despite more liberal leanings, often reinforces old stereotypes.

I don't usually quote other reviews, but I have to agree with this perfect one-sentence blurb from the New York Times Book Review, "Lisa Ko has taken the headlines and has reminded us that beyond them lie messy, brave, extraordinary, ordinary lives.”

Despite any misgivings I had, this was a moving, though-provoking debut, and sets the bar high for Ko's next work.

review 2018-06-24 18:55
"Desert Dark" by Sonja Stone - abandoned at 51%. I am so not the target audience for this book.
Desert Dark - Sonja Stone

I wanted a lighter side to my "Summer Of Spies" reading so I picked up "Desert Dark", knowing from the publisher's summary that it was a Young Adult adventure book about a sixteen-year-old heroine attending a school for spies.

It was the light, fast, slightly simplistic read I'd expected it to be. It started at a run with an attempt on our heroine's life, did a "Three months earlier.." flip followed by an up close and personal murder. Then it slowed down so we could focus on Nadia's experience in attending spy school.

The first indication that this might not be the book for me was how I stumbled over Nadia's reaction to her situation.

Day One of her new school she's subjected to an aggressive, invasive "psych eval" that seems more like an interrogation, is finally told the kind of school she's been tricked into signing up for and has been threatened with indefinite detention without charge under the Patriot Act if she tells anyone about it.

Her reaction? "So I really get to work for CIA Black Ops? How cool is that?"

The dissonance felt pulled me out of the story. What kind of sixteen-year-old thinks it's cool to work for an illegal, lethal, organisation that sets itself outside of control by the democratic process in order to kill America's enemies?

After that, I struggled to muster the required suspension of disbelief.

As the chapters flew by, I began to see the Spy School as a sort of Hogwarts where everyone is in Slytherin and really proud of it.

I should have been caught up in a young Nadia's struggle to thrive in an elite spy school, which has been infiltrated by a double agent who has been told to terminate her in a make-it-look-like-an-accident way because she's perceived as a threat. My attention should have been split between figuring out who the double was (not a simple task as there were so many red herrings the plot stank of fish) and rooting for little miss cute but strong to succeed.

Instead, I kept seeing bright children being abused by a government agency that grooms them to be blindly obedient in the name of patriotism and then trains them to kill on command. They even use a psych profile to find the children whose backgrounds make them need to please and went to feel part of something larger than themselves.

If this book had been written by Tom Clancy and set in a madrassah in Pakistan, he'd have shown it to the home of evil bad guys, exploiting children and misusing faith and courage. Setting the school in America doesn't make what's happening in it any more acceptable.

I stuck with the book to the half-way point because I was curious about who the bad guy was but, in the end, I couldn't set my distaste aside.

If you can come to this with a "Clear and Present Danger" for teenagers mindset then this will probably work for you. It was too Through The Looking Glass for me.

review 2018-06-24 16:45
Review: “The Flesh Cartel #14: Independence Day (The Flesh Cartel Season 4: Liberation)” (The Flesh Cartel, #14) by Rachel Haimowitz & Heidi Belleau
The Flesh Cartel #14: Independence Day (The Flesh Cartel Season 4: Liberation) - Heidi Belleau,Rachel Haimowitz

~ 4 stars ~

review 2018-06-24 04:46
The Firm
The Firm - John Grisham

This was the first book I read by John Grisham, so very many years ago. I recently re-read the book (listening wherever I could) and I felt like I was reading another book by the same author.

In this story, Mitch is getting ready to graduate from Law School and he is being recruited by a firm from Nashville, TN and they offer him a lot of money and many perks to come to their firm, but the problem is that after it is announced that he has passed the bar and works for the firm, he is hunted by the FBI to help them prove the wrongdoing of the firm. He finds out that what the FBI was telling him is true and he begins to get the stuff they want together, but he will only give them what they want when he gets what he wants, including his brother being released from jail.

It was interesting the intrigue, but I did feel that I had seen some of it in other books.