logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: own-Kindle
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-12-11 17:14
Review: "The Iron Temple" (The Rifter, #9) by Ginn Hale
The Iron Temple - Ginn Hale

~ 4 stars ~

review 2018-12-11 02:00
Ornaments of Death
Ornaments of Death: A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery (Josie Prescott Antiques Mysteries) - Jane K. Cleland

Josie is having her annual Christmas party and her cousin, Ian, has arrived from England and she is beyond delighted to have him arrive. When he goes missing, she tries to find him and when he is missing for more than a day, a body is found and when she identifies it as her cousin, she finds out that his daughter is now missing.

This story had many twists and turns and looked at ancestry and antiques and provenance. I had found it last year when my girls started getting braces and borrowed it, but ran out of time to read it, so I just would borrow and read a bit more, finally reading it now.

review 2018-12-10 14:31
took a while for me to fully engage!
Havoc (Tattoos and Ties #1) - Kindle Alexander
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian, I was gifted my copy of this book. Keyes is a fully fledged patched member of the Disciples of Havoc club. Alec is a member of the DA's team who seems to have it out for the club. Can the biker see past the suit? Can the lawyer see past the tattoos? I love Kindle Alexander and their work, you know I do, but I did struggle a bit with this one! It took me til well past half way to fully engage with Keyes and Alec and I've no idea why, and you KNOW that pains me so! And just when I thought we would get an HEA?? NO, its a bloody Happy For Now sort of ending and that really did annoy me! There is a bit at the back that says about the continuation of Key and Alec's story, but that's not the point. I was expecting a Happy Ever After, I WANTED a HEA, and I didn't get it. Once I'd fully immersed myself in the story, I did enjoy it. Both guys have a say, both guys are polar opposites and it shows in so many ways, but I love those sorts of pairings. Key and Alec have instant and powerful attraction, hot off the charts chemistry that burns long and bright the whole way through to that HFN ending. We still don't know just why that particular DA is going after the group, I expect that will become a little more clearer in the next book. There are a couple of mentions of other Kindle Alexander characters, and they slot in well into the overall plot line. Not gonna say who though, and they ARE just mentions. But well played there! I really do need their next book, Chaos, to see if that gives me my HEA I want for these guys. Now I've gotten over my little hissy fit about the ending, I've decided NOT to let it show in my rating, cos that's really not very fair. So, ONLY because of the long time it took me to engage, . . . 4 stars **same worded review will appear elsewhere**

review 2018-12-09 23:32
Book for Door 14 Hanukkah - "Binti Home" - love the writing - hate this publishing trend.
Binti: Home - Nnedi Okorafor

Let me start with a complaint so I can get it out of my system. I hate this emerging practice in Science Fiction to slice novels up into novellas and drip feed them to us.

I hated it with Murderbot and I hate it with Binti.

I was blown away by the first novella, "Binti" It deserved the Nebula and Hugo awards it won. It was a startlingly innovative novella about identity, about us and other, about fear and harmony, about how defining what it means to be alien also defines what it means to be human. "Binti" worked as a standalone, self-contained story.

It took two more years for "Binti Home" to reach us and, very disappointingly, it does not work as a self-contained novella. It's a sequel, so it can't be standalone but I did expect it to be self-contained. What I got is the second act in a three-act play.

It turns out it's a very good second act in what I'm sure will be an excellent novel but I wish the publishers had had the integrity to wait until the whole book was ready before publishing it.

Ok, complaint over.

There are lots of good things in this middle act of Binti's story.

It retains the freshness of the original novella. It doesn't reprise any of the previous action but carries straight on from where "Binti" finished.

It keeps the humour as well as the drama of the previous events and uses both to explore being alien. Here's what happens when Binti persuades Okuwu, an alien shaped like a massive jellyfish that moves through air rather than water an is always referred to as "it" to put cover its tentacles with  otjize, a mix of mud and oil that Himba women cover themselves with:

Covering them with so much otjize,Okwu told me, made it feel a little intoxicated.

“Everything is . . . happy,” it had said, sounding perplexed about this state.

“Good,” I said, grinning. “That way, you won’t be so grumpy when you meet everyone. Khoush like politeness and the Himba expect a sunny disposition.”

“ I will wash this off soon,” it said. “It’s not good to feel this pleased with life.”

"Binti Home" explores the issue of self and other from a new angle by following Binti's own physical and spiritual evolution from the Himba tribal girl she thought herself to be into something other and more than that.

When Binti returns home to restore her sense of identity as a Himba woman she is instead forced to confront the prejudices that shape her view of her homeworld and prevent her from seeing herself clearly. Binti's skill as a "harmonizer" is tested when she finds that it's her rapidly changing self that she needs to harmonize.

The tension builds. Revelations are made. Threats are introduced. Then the novella ends. Well, actually, it just stops.

So I'm going to stop as well. I have to go and read the third act, "The Night Masquerade", which I've just downloaded from the Kindle Store for the princely sum of £2.63.

review 2018-12-09 15:06