logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: paranormal
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-06-02 22:08
Audiobook Review: Trace of Magic (Diamond City Magic #1) by Diana Pharaoh Francis (Narrator: Elizabeth Phillips)
Trace of Magic: The Diamond City Magic Novels (Volume 1) - Diana Pharaoh Francis

Trace of Magic
 Diamond City Magic #1
 Diana Pharaoh Francis (Narrator: Elizabeth Phillips)
 Paranormal Romance - Urban Fantasy
 BelleBooks, Inc.
 March 28, 2016
 Audiobook
 10 hours and 32 minutes
 Bought

Even the most powerful tracers can’t track you if the magical trace you leave behind is too old. But I can track almost anything, even dead trace. That makes me a unicorn, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, and the Lock Ness Monster all rolled into one. In a word, I am unique. A very special snowflake. And if anyone ever finds out, I’ll be dead or a slave to one of the Tyet criminal factions.

Riley Hollis has quietly traced kidnapped children and quietly tipped the cops to their whereabouts one too many times. Now she’s on the radar of Detective Clay Price, a cop in the pocket of a powerful magic Tyet faction. When he blackmails her into doing a dangerous trace for him, Riley will have to break every rule that keeps her safe. Or become a Tyet pawn in a deadly, magical war.

Goodreads

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Kobo

Trace of Magic is book one in the Diamond City Magic series by Diana Pharaoh Francis Narrated by Elizabeth Phillips.

This is my first taste of this author and narrator. I didn’t know what I was getting into, but I became sucked into the action, mysteries, and magic presented in Trace of Magic.

The world is interesting. We have people with different magical abilities. Our heroine Riley is a Tracer which means she can follow someone’s trace and see where they’ve been in the past. Though she is much much stronger then she lets on. Her power needs to stay a secret; because if it comes out on how powerful she is the mob will come after her.

Detective Clay Price known as a dirty cop. He’s in the pocket of the mob as an enforcer. Most of the people are on the take. Clay is actually a pretty good cop and his connections are intriguing. He needs a trace done, off the record, so in comes Riley.

Their is more then one mystery going on this novel. I enjoyed the story. It’s full of action. I was in grossed in Riley’s magic, in the hunt for a missing friend, and the other mysteries introduced. Riley was a great character and uncovering her past and what her magic can do is fascinating. Price was another decent character and his connection to the mob was captivating.

I will say I was surprised with how quickly Riley sleeps with Price. Also I’m surprised with how much she reveals about herself to him after they sleep together. I did have trouble believing Price was falling fast for Riley; especially after we learn about his previous engagement. Their was something about their relationship or lack of that bothered me. I can’t put my finger on it, but something. Maybe it was just to fast.

The secondary characters are great and I’d like to learn more about them. Trace of Magic was a good start. I’m pumped to continue the series. I even went out and bought Edge of Dreams as soon as I finished this one.

Narration: This is my first taste of Elizabeth Phillips. I think she did a great job. Her voices are distinctive and I liked them. I would recommend her and this book.

Rated: 4 Stars

Challenge(s):

Source: angelsguiltypleasures.com/2020/06/audiobook-review-trace-of-magic-diamond-city-magic-1-by-diana-pharaoh-francis-narrator-elizabeth-phillips
review 2020-05-31 21:25
Review: Bait N' Witch by Abigail Owen
Bait N' Witch - Abigail Owen

Reviewed for Wit and Sin

Every story in the Brimstone Inc. series has been wholly addictive and Bait N' Witch is no exception. The third magical outing features Rowan, a witch of incredible power who has been taught not to trust her own kind. Rowan also possesses a strong vulnerability, one that a powerful werewolf used to force her to do something horrible. Now Rowan has to hide from the judgment of the Covens Syndicate. And what better place to hide than right under the nose of the hunter sent to bring her in?

Greyson Masters may be the Syndicate’s best hunter, but he’s also a widowed father of preteen triplets who have a power no one can quite figure out. The triplets need a new nanny and Brimstone, Inc. has sent over Rowan, a witch of supposedly little power. Rowan is the first person who has been able to bring peace to Greyson’s household, but there’s something about her that makes him restless. The pull between them is strong, but what will happen when Rowan’s secrets are revealed?

As individuals, Rowan and Greyson are wonderful characters. Rowan is a powerful witch who has survived more than most could deal with and she’s retained her strength and kindness through it all. I loved watching her bond with Greyson’s daughters from the first. Preteens can be scary enough but add in magic? Yikes. Rowan is more than up to the challenge, though. She slides easily into the Masters household and into the hearts of the family itself. Greyson is the best at his job but he’s slightly in over his head in his household. He’s a loving father who is doing his best and it’s easy to adore him. As a couple, he and Rowan click from the start. I loved watching how they seamlessly became a couple, almost without realizing it. But Rowan can’t hide who she is and how powerful her magic is for forever, not from Greyson and not from the werewolves that are hunting her.

Bait N' Witch is just plain fun to read. It has romance, magic, action, and even a small mystery featuring the triplets’ abilities. I was hooked from the beginning and didn’t want to put the book down. I love how author Abigail Owen weaves together all different magical and mythical beings to create a fascinating world. If you don’t mind spoilers for the first book in the series, The Demigod Complex, then you can read Rowan and Greyson’s story as a standalone. I enjoyed everything about Bait N' Witch and I cannot wait to see what happens next in the Brimstone Inc. series.

FTC Disclosure: I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I also purchased a copy of this book. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: witandsin.blogspot.com/2020/05/review-bait-n-witch-by-abigail-owen.html
review 2020-05-30 15:57
Review ~ Awesome!
Dream Walk - Melissa Bowersock

Book source ~ Kindle Unlimited

Lacey Fitzpatrick and Sam Firecloud have formed an unusual but satisfying partnership. Formerly of the LAPD and currently a private investigator, Lacey helps Sam, a medium, release ghosts from their Earthly prison. She does all the research and Sam does his ghost walk. Usually the dead don’t come to him. His usual work mode is that he gets a call and if there is a ghost present he does what he can to help it along. This time, his cousin comes to him and Lacey and Sam need to head to Vegas to find his cousin’s body and the person or people who murdered him. But Vegas is a big place and the people who were after his cousin are now after Lacey and Sam. They gotta hurry before they’re one of the things that stays in Vegas. Permanently.

I’m really loving this series. Each book is a quick read with a great mystery to unravel. They’re also pretty well self-contained so you don’t really need to read the books before to get in the groove. But why would you do that?! This story has an added perk of danger Will Robinson, danger! Sam’s cousin was not on a very good path and now that he’s dead the baddies are after the two nosey people snooping around Vegas. Woo! I was on the edge of my seat for this one! I’m certainly looking forward to the next book.

Source: imavoraciousreader.blogspot.com/2020/05/dream-walk.html
review 2020-05-28 19:14
Review ~ Great read!
Catalyst - Tracy Richardson

Book source ~ Tour

Marcie Horton has connected once before with a spirit when she was thirteen. But that was four years ago and she feels like she’s missing something by not having any further contact with anything…other. She’s hoping a summer working on her mother’s archeological dig will distract her from a feeling of missing out on something big. Joined by her older brother Eric and his girlfriend Renee, they barely get settled in when two graduate students let the three of them and another student, 19-yr-old Leo, in on a secret. There is much more out there than any of them realize. Marcie is about to get her wish - something incredible is about to happen. The real question is: Is she ready for it?

This is a book heavy on how humanity is shitting where we eat. Too graphic? How about how we are killing the very thing that supports us? Too dramatic? Too bad. We are. If you don’t like books that point out this fact, even if it is a fictional book, then you may not enjoy this as much as I have. Now, to the story itself…

Marcie is a pretty level-headed 17-yr-old. She’s had a life-altering encounter with a spirit when she was 13, so maybe that has something to do with it. In any case, the story is told from her POV so it helps she’s not an over-emotional idiot. Side characters are interesting even if Renee makes me want to slap her upside the head occasionally. And don’t get me started on Leo. Marcie is more forgiving than I would be. Oh! Did I not mention there’s a little hotness going on between Marcie and Leo? Ah. Summer love.

Lorraine and Zeke are a bit irritating in their roles, but I get it. And you will, too. I find the idea of a Universal Energy Field fascinating. I want it to be a thing. In fact, my belief is, since we are mostly water and energy then when we die our energy goes back out into the ether and comes back as another being. So, I guess I believe a bit in reincarnation. And that’s why I believe in ghosts. That energy can get stuck and next thing you know, wooohoooo things going bang. Anyway, I enjoyed this journey of Marcie’s and hope she and the others can bring about some change before it’s too late.

Source: imavoraciousreader.blogspot.com/2020/05/twr-tour-catalyst.html
review 2020-05-28 02:47
Bright Blaze of Magic by Jennifer Estep
Bright Blaze of Magic (Black Blade) - Jennifer Estep

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I am so glad that I finally read this book! I was lucky enough to receive an early copy of this book near its release date but it fell through the cracks somehow. As more time passed, I realized that I would need to refresh my memory of the first two books in the trilogy before I could review the book properly so I put off reading it. I decided to push this book to the top of my list recently and it was a very good decision. I thoroughly enjoyed my re-read of the first two books in the trilogy and was eager to experience this book for the first time. I really had a good time with this one.

This is a trilogy that really needs to be read in order. Things have been building to the events in this book for the entire trilogy and I was excited to see how things would work out. Victor Draconi has been working towards a plan to eliminate the other Families and take control of everything himself. Lila and the other Sinclairs are aware of his plan and they are working to do whatever they can to stop him.

This story was exciting and there were a few scenes that were incredibly action-packed. There were a few scenes where I was really worried about how things would work out for this group of characters that I have grown to care for and some scenes that broke my heart. I loved the way that the monsters and magical abilities were such a vital part of the story. It was great to see Lila really become a trusted member of the Sinclair Family as they came together with the other Families to fight a common threat.

Brittany Pressley did a fantastic job with the narration once again. I looked forward to putting my headphones on and escaping into Lila's world for a few hours. I really felt like she brought this story to life. She did a fantastic job with all of the character voices and brought a lot of emotion into her reading. I believe that her narration added to my enjoyment of this story.

I would recommend this book to others. I thought that this was a wonderful trilogy set in a very interesting world. I had a great time going on this adventure with Lila, Devon, Felix, Oscar, and the rest of the characters. I cannot wait to read more of Jennifer Estep's work.

I received a digital review copy of this book from Kensington Books via NetGalley and purchased a copy of the audiobook.

Initial Thoughts
I am so glad that I finally read this book! This was a battle that has been brewing for the entire series and I was excited to see the Sinclairs take on the Draconis. There was a lot of excitement and action in this book and some pretty intense scenes. I thought that the characters were at their best in this installment and there were some pretty emotional scenes. I listened to the audiobook and I thought that the narrator did a fabulous job bringing this story to life.