logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: paranormal
Load new posts () and activity
review 2022-09-03 02:22
HALF WOLF by Aimer Easterling
Half Wolf (Alpha Underground Book 1) - Aimee Easterling

Hunter, a Tribunal enforcer, has had Fen kicked out of her pack. Fen, half human-half werewolf, has a weak wolf but has been given the power of an Alpha by her old Alpha. She has a small pack who travel with her as she goes in outpack areas. Getting into trouble in a bar, she receives help from a patron, Quill, to get her pack out of the bar alive. Quill becomes a member of her pack. Lia, one of her pack members who is also like her, a halfie, gets kidnapped by the SSS who believe halfies have special powers that can make a full werewolf strong. Now it is up to Fen and her pack to find Lia alive. Can they do it? What is the story with Hunter?

I liked this story, but I am not sure I am invested enough to read the whole trilogy. There are a lot of loose ends that may or may not be answered. The story is loosely written and needs to be tightened up, so the story makes sense as to who the SSS is and why are they kidnapping halfies. How does Hunter fit into all of this? Why is he always around at the right time? The world building is loose, so I don't know what is going on in this world.

I liked the characters. Fen has problems because while she may be an alpha, but it is not her true calling. I liked her pack mates. I liked Hunter but I have a lot of questions about him. Character development is good. I feel as if I know these characters. I wish the world building were as good.

review 2022-08-30 18:58
CATCHING CAROLINE by Sylvia Day
Catching Caroline - Sylvia Day

Lady Caroline feels an instant connection with Jack Shaw. She flees from her for fear she will hurt him. He hunts for her finally catching her back in London years later. She warns him away, but he does not listen. He takes her to bed and in the morning, she is gone again. He tracks her down again and their secrets are revealed.

I liked this short story. It was too short. I liked Jack and Caroline. I figured Jack's secret out. I liked his explanations when Caroline explains why she was once again running. Both were honorable and the twist was excellent.

review 2022-08-16 04:57
BEAST by Erin Bedford
Beast - Erin Bedford Beast - Erin Bedford

Anna May comes to visit her grandmother in the nursing home. Isaac sees her and can't stop looking at her. He goes into her grandmother's room when Anna May's grandmother freaks out. Isaac leaves but Anna May runs into him later. She apologizes and asks him on a date. What caused Anna May's grandmother to freak out? Will Isaac and Anna May get together?

While I enjoyed this story, it was entirely too short to get into before it was over. Isaac and Anna May could have a fun story, but this just introduces you to them. The story is a series of vignettes with Isaac and Anna May starring in them. I hope this author expands these characters and this story.

review 2022-06-26 00:44
A MODERN DAY WITCH HUNT by Kiki Howell
A Modern Day Witch Hunt - Kiki Howell

Kamillia does not know she is a witch. One day as she is working on her book, Luca appears at her front door saying she must go with him, so the Mastema does not kill her. Luca takes her to her grandfather's where she starts to learn the truth about herself and her parents' deaths. While there she is attacked by a dark force. It is through her grandfather and Luca abilities that she is saved. Luca receives a sign, and they must go to Italy. This is not a place that Kamillia wants to go. When they arrive, she learns why they were sent here. Can she help? Can they defeat the darkness?

I am not sure I can say wholeheartedly that I enjoyed this story. It is dark. Yes, Luca and Kamillia love each other but the ending was unsatisfying for me. After all they went through to have it end like that is a letdown. I would have preferred a more positive ending, especially for Kamillia. I liked Kamillia and Luca. I liked that they had a back story, but their present story was more positive. I wish Ahti (kind of Luca's "boss") would have been able to make some changes to their present and future.

This was not a HEA in the way I am used to in romances. I would say it's an as good as it can be romance.

review 2022-04-30 00:09
EARTH GIRLS ARE DIFFICULT by Frances Pauli
Earth Girls Are Difficult - Frances Pauli

9 short stories that range in tone from creepy to funny. Each has a paranormal theme.

My favorite story was Forbidden which has Lorenzo, a vampire, bemoaning the fact that no one is afraid of him like in the old days. He also craves garlic and has a way to get it but giving in to his craving contradicts his moaning.

Another favorite was Bad Dog who is Hatach who is a hellhound. He is rescued by a human. He is funny also.

El Emperador is also fun as you get the woman's thoughts and the horse's. The horse seems smarter than the woman. They are an interesting mix.

Silent Partner was good with Charles and the tattoo artist. Charles and his significant other, Janine, reminded me of Howard and Eunice in What's Up Doc? I am not sure if Charles was dreaming or if he had the tattoo. It's a little iffy.

The rest of the stories were okay but not as good as the ones I mentioned above. These stories are worth the few minutes it takes to read them.