logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: patchwork-quilt
Load new posts () and activity
review 2015-02-01 00:00
Quilt of Joy: Stories of Hope from the Patchwork Life
Quilt of Joy: Stories of Hope from the Patchwork Life - Mary Tatem It took me a while to track it down but it was worth it.

This book was an easy read with each story being only a couple pages long. So it makes the prefect bedside reader. On those nights that I was really tired, I could read one or two before shutting my eyes. Yes - there is a God/religious/spiritual theme to the book, but overall it didn't have that overly heavy "bible-up-side-the-head" feeling to me. The balance was well done and made for an enjoyable rhythm.

The illustrations depicting a quilt in the front of each section was beautifully done by Kevin Ingram.

I also found out that this on one of several of her Quilts of series. Which I'm actively searching for by request through Mel-Cat program at my library.

With this book I would heartily give it a 5 out a 5 star rating and plan to enjoy more of Mary's books. Thank You Mary for providing a wonderful mix of my 2 favorite past times together and leaving me an overall pleasant feeling and "Joy" that your book provided.
review 2013-12-31 00:00
Cornish Hedge Patchwork Quilt Design: Use Up your Fabric Scraps!
Cornish Hedge Patchwork Quilt Design: Use Up your Fabric Scraps! - Jo Colwill Cornish Hedge Patchwork Quilt Design: Use Up your Fabric Scraps!
Another hobby of mine is quilting so always glancing through magazines and books to find just another project to start.
Very detailed and some drawings of her quilt about 'til the cows come home' which gives you an idea of what she is accomplishing.
Misty morning is another example with no instructions but there is an offer of a free book at the end.
Colors are a bit bland for me but I like how it's pieced together and explanation of how to construct it.
review 2013-04-12 00:00
The Patchwork Quilt
The Patchwork Quilt - Valerie Flournoy Grandma is making a patchwork quilt from bits and pieces of fabric snipped from discarded old clothing and leftover material from sewn special occasion items. Tanya is curious as to what Grandma is doing and Mama just sees a mess. When Grandma becomes ill, Tanya takes over. She understands why Grandma makes the quilt from bits and pieces of her family's clothing. Mama and Tanya's brothers help out a bit as they see how hard she works to complete the quilt for Grandma. The surprise comes at the end when Tanya realizes something is missing from the patchwork quilt and when the quilt is finally finished. Lovingly written about the concept of family and how it used to be recorded, "in the olden days" before everyone could read and write. Also about the necessity of creating something from discarded materials, letting nothing go to waste, and reusing items to save money and provide for the family. Memories are made from loving hands. My students listened to this story and had great questions. I found that they still understand the concept of creating an heirloom and putting pieces of themselves into a family history. I adore books such as these because my students need to understand that just because something CAN be bought doesn't mean it SHOULD be bought.
review 2012-10-03 00:00
Nature's Patchwork Quilt: Understanding Habitats
Nature's Patchwork Quilt: Understanding Habitats - Mary Miche,Consie Powell A beautifully illustrated introduction to habitats, ecosystems, the food web, and biodiversity.