logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: perspective
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-01-21 17:54
Duck Rabbit
Duck! Rabbit! - Amy Krouse Rosenthal,Tom Lichtenheld

Duck Rabbit is book all about perspective and how one person sees a duck and the other person sees a rabbit. After reading this book, teachers can have a discussion about there being more than one way to see the world and then have students write an opinion piece about if they saw a duck or a rabbit. This book is a level 16 on the DRA leveling system.

review 2019-01-18 01:26
Duck! Rabbit!
Duck! Rabbit! - Amy Krouse Rosenthal,Tom Lichtenheld

Duck! Rabbit! is a narrative between two friends on what a cloud looks like to them. One friend is adamant that it is a rabbit and the other that it is a duck but they come to see through making their own points on why they think that it is, that it could be either one! The book ends with them trying to decide what they think another cloud looks like and what seems to be starting the cycle over again. This a great book to use with perspective and narratives. I would use this book for a writing activity and ask students to write a narrative on what they think they would identify the new cloud as. You could also have students write why they think that it is a duck or a rabbit and tell you why they think that.

show activity (+)
review 2018-11-27 21:36
Fun from start to finish
Mary B: An untold story of Pride and Prejudice - Katherine K. Chen

I'm fairly sure that I've mentioned before that there are two books that I reread every single year and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is one of them. So it was kind of a no-brainer that I picked up Mary B. by Katherine J. Chen as it follows that story (with a little before and after) from the perspective of the middle daughter, Mary. The book focuses on what the author calls the 'forgotten Bennet sister' and follows her personal evolution beginning from her childhood and giving readers a glimpse into what happened with the Bennet, Bingley, and Darcy families after the last page of Pride and Prejudice was turned. This book was a surprise for me in a lot of ways. Firstly, I loved it. I felt like I was reading a trashy romance novel that had gotten mixed together with the classic book of the early 18th century. While I agree that it's a bit out-of-the-box in terms of what certain characters would and wouldn't do I didn't care in the least if someone did or said something 'out of character'. I knew going in that this was Chen's vision and it was bound to be different from Austen's. Secondly, this book was entertaining from start to finish and had me giggling uncontrollably at all of the spicy content. (This book is so spicy, ya'll.) Turns out Mary is headstrong, outspoken, non-traditional, and dare I say the most intelligent Bennet sister.  This book is a love letter to anyone who ever felt like they didn't belong or maybe wasn't enough. YOU ARE. If Mary can buck tradition and kick some major butt in the process then you can too. Also, it's clear Chen had a bee in her bonnet about how Mary was treated and overlooked in terms of character development by Austen in the original book. She certainly took care of that with Mary B.. 10/10

A/N: I'm not generally a fan of romance novels but there's something about the world that Austen crafted that makes me especially susceptible. I take comfort in the fact that I'm definitely not alone if her books are still being re-imagined. :-P

What's Up Next: The Ghost in the Mirror by John Bellairs & completed by Brad Strickland

What I'm Currently Reading: Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond

Source: readingfortheheckofit.blogspot.com
review 2018-09-10 03:50
Duck! Rabbit! - Amy Krouse Rosenthal,Tom Lichtenheld

What do you see? This is a cute book that follows an argument about whether a rabbit or a duck is being seen! I would use this book to talk about perspective and how you might see something but a classmate may see something else that could depend on many different things!

Lexile: AD300L

review 2018-02-22 02:25
Boycott Blues
Boycott Blues: How Rosa Parks Inspired a Nation - Andrea Davis Pinkney,Brian Pinkney

AR: 2.9

Grade Level: 3rd-6th

Summary: Boycott Blues is a book all about how people, during the civil rights movement, dealt with segregation. The story is told from a "dog-tired hound", which makes the book even more interesting!

Idea: I absolutely fell in love with this book the first time I read it! The fact that it's told from a dog, who's singing the "boycott blues" is amazing! I also love the fact that the author personifies segregation, as a menacing bird. This is an amazing book to intertwine social studies with, and to teach figurative language!