Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: phil-hester
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-01-30 06:52
The Return of Oliver Queen by Kevin Smith
Green Arrow by Kevin Smith - Kevin Smith

In 2000, Kevin Smith, Phil Hester and Ande Parks revived Green Arrow into a 3rd series, where it follows the aftermath of a crossover entitled The Final Night where Hal Jordan's Green Lantern sacrifice himself to a Sun Eater to reignite the sun. He brought back Oliver Queen, the original Green Arrow from the dead after he died in a tragically witness by Superman. Collected from issues #1 to 15, Kevin Smith had spun not just a good introduction of bringing back Oliver Queen but had given this title a revival that became one of the most readable comics in the year 2000.

I read this because of one person - Kevin Smith. He has been an awesome writer to me that not only direct but write good stories that really knows how. He is a natural when it comes to words and with Phil Hester's artwork and Ande Parks inking, this is a team that really bring the best part of how Green Arrow would be. Words a side, I was never a fan of Green Arrow and I did for one time think he is a lame character but reading this tradepaperback really brings a good sense that he is cool and flawed, just like how Wally West is as The Flash. With the now current Arrow TV series and running a good four seasons with a current 5th season airing, if you have ever wonder which Green Arrow comic book to read, this might be one of them you should pick it up.

review 2016-07-22 09:01
Volume 1 review - Very silly at first and lots of fun
Mythic #1 - John McCrea,Phil Hester

Very silly at first and lots of fun – magic takes over from science!

There exists a group of talented / magical individuals (Venus, Cassandra of Greek mythology ...) whose job is to control the magical creatures of legend still around on our planet. This volume deals with their struggle against Surtur, Fenris, the Midgard Serpent and others. Without giving too much away, the Mythic lot suffer ups and downs.

A bunch of Secret Origin stories at the end tell us how all these “heroes” got involved with the Mythics.

Generally this is an interesting tale and well worth a look. It's well-illustrated on top of that.

review 2016-04-22 00:00
The Irredeemable Ant-Man, Volume 1: Low-Life
The Irredeemable Ant-Man, Volume 1: Low-Life - Robert Kirkman,Phil Hester 1 - The new Ant-Man saves a woman from a purse snatcher and asks her out for dinner. Then we are treated to a flashback of his origin. Part of it, anyway.

Okay, reading this on the heels of a Hawkeye trade was not a good idea. The pace is slow, the dialogue isn't great, and it's just not Hawkeye. It has potential, though. Too bad the origin story is still going on.

My suspension of disbelief is strained when a fuck-up like Eric O'Grady makes the cut for SHIELD in the first place.

2 - Things pick up when the SHIELD helicarrier is under attack. Meanwhile, in the present, O'Grady is using the Ant-Man suit to try to get laid.

Okay, this issue was a little better. O'Grady is finally in the suit and his douchebaggery continues.

3 - O'Grady makes a move on Chris' girlfriend before he's even in the ground. In the present day, he continues trying to get laid using the Ant-Man suit.

I can see how this is supposed to be funny, and it does have funny moments, but it's more uncomfortable than anything else.

4 - An agent is tasked to find the missing Ant-Man suit. Will he find Eric and bring him in?

We can only hope. I think this series would work much better if it was played for laughs instead of played seriously. For laughs, it would be like a teen sex comedy. Played seriously, it's got an ick factor and it really strains my suspension of disbelief that SHIELD agents would be so incompetent.

5 - Agent Carson closes in on O'Grady, both in the past and in the present.

Yeah, I'm glad this trade paperback is short. The sad thing is I know that O'Grady won't get his comeuppance at the end.

6 - Carson and O'Grady have it out in both time periods.

Okay, I didn't hate this issue. The fight between the two Ant-Men in the cafeteria was the highlight of the series so far.

Closing Thoughts: I'm really glad I got this from Marvel Unlimited rather than paying for it. O'Grady is a slimeball and not the kind of slimeball that is fun to read about. I will not be seeing how the series ends. 2 out of 5 stars.
review 2015-11-16 00:29
The Flash: Season Zero
The Flash Season Zero - Andrew Kreisberg,Marcus To,Phil Hester

This was a lot of fun to read. And while one definitely shouldn't consider these show canon, they are nice collection of bonus adventures.

The dialogue felt organic to the characters, and fully captured the show's wit and charm.

The artwork, for me, was kind of hit or miss. In some of the stories, the artwork was so...out of proportion, I guess, that none of the characters looked exactly right.

All-in-all, I'd definitely recommend this to fans of the show.

review 2015-05-27 14:48
A Great Shot in the Arm
Wonder Woman: Odyssey, Vol. 1 - Eduardo Pansica,Don Kramer,Phil Hester,J. Michael Straczynski

Author J. Michael Straczynski on why he wanted to overhaul Wonder Woman:

This is a character that is interesting enough and compelling enough to merit being in the top twenty books at minimum...so why was she languishing? The reason, I felt, was that she'd concretized over the years, had turned into this really cool Porsche that people kept in the garage because they were afraid of denting it rather than going flat-out on the open road. She had become, for lack of a better word, stuffy. She became the mom of the girl next door you wanted to date.

This was really underscored to me when I used Wonder Woman in Brave and the Bold #33, and many were appalled that Wonder Woman told a joke...that she flirted...that she was relaxed and having fun. One podcaster said that Wonder Woman had become like his grandmother, and he didn't like to see his grandmother being flirty.

Well, I think Straczynski's mission was accomplished! I love this new look and feel to Wonder Woman. She has an outfit that she can actually fight/defend herself, she is both regal Amazonian princess and 21st century street smart to blend into the city. This was only #1-5 of Odysessy, but quite a ride. The half star was taken off due to a little repetitiveness in the dialogue.

I love Linda Carter's tv adaption of Wonder Woman - the sass, the humor, the vulnerability, the spirit. And I see so much of that WW in this storyline, although this is a little lacking in the humor department. I am so looking forward to reading more of Straczynski's work in the WW: Odyssey storyline. 4.5 stars.