logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: picture-books
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-08-02 02:17
Roof Octopus - Lucy Branam, Rogério Coelho
Roof Octopus - Rogério Coelho,Lucy Branam

The art is amazing, and the story is a clever surprise. It's so pretty, and it would make a fabulous and challenging colouring book. I don't believe that thought has ever occurred to me before.

Library copy

So I pulled up the book by the ISBN, but the picture didn't come with, and since my review is mostly "cool art" it seemed like adding the cover image was a good and helpful thing, right? But it's been too long since I last did this and/or I'm tired and stupid, because instead of uploading the cover image, I uploaded a picture of one of my cats. Sorry everyone. And thanks to the librarian who will fix this, in advance.

review 2018-02-25 14:43
We Found a Hat - Jon Klassen
We Found a Hat - Jon Klassen,Jon Klassen

The three books in the Hat trilogy are a single perfect entity: the same story (essentially) told from three different points of view. So simple, in tone and art, so nonjudgemental.  Klassen makes Hemingway and McCarthy look like poseurs.

Library copy

review 2017-12-03 23:12
A cute, simple picture book suitable for infants and up.
Petra - Marianna Coppo

Disclaimer: reviewing eARC galley via NetGalley.

Very few words and strong storytelling through the images makes it perfect for very young audiences, as well as beginning readers. The images are sparse, simple and whimsical, surrounded by plenty of white space. The story is amusing and meaningful; an accessible exploration of identity. I loved the emphasis on adjusting expectations, adapting to new, unexpected situations, and knowing and accepting yourself as the world shifts around you. The main character is a stone with a big imagination, and rather than falling into despair when its surroundings make its dreams crumble, it just keeps adapting and enjoying where it's at. A good message of resilience and stability for kids rendered in a minimalist, non-preachy style.

review 2017-11-18 19:24
A Different Pond
A Different Pond (Fiction Picture Books) - Bao Phi,Thi Bui

It’s early in the morning on a Saturday, yet his father has been up a while getting ready for the day. The streets are empty as the father and his young son set out for the fishing trip, stopping off to get bait, at a business that his father frequently visited. The boy is squeamish about the procedures for fishing, his father is patient and loving with him as he assists his son with the tasks. As the two fishermen patiently wait for a tug on their lines, father tells his son stories about life before coming to America, an emotional subject not frequently visited. As they arrive back home, the sun rising, the father must now get ready for work. It has been a successful morning, they will now have food on the table tonight. Living in America has been hard for this family. As mother and father leave for work, they know that coming home tonight will be special.

This story was a relaxing, calm read yet I knew about the hardships that this family was enduring on a daily basis and the ones that they had lived through. This story is about endurance, strength, and family. You could feel the love that lived within this family in the way that they communicated with each other and the way they interacted with each other. I enjoyed this children’s novel.

review 2017-10-21 14:37
Book 68/100: The Perfect Pumpkin by Lyn Fletcher
The Perfect Pumpkin - Nora Pelizzari,Lyn Fletcher

In this book, the central conflict arises from two ponies wanting the same pumpkin from a pumpkin patch. Rather than fight over it, they go all Minnesota nice and are like, "No, no, YOU take it, I insist!!" Only in MLP would the tension derive from both parties being too generous! Don't worry -- it all works out in the end.