logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: pop-sonnets
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-09-19 19:42
Sonnets from the Portuguese and Other Poems - Elizabeth Barrett Browning

For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

I really enjoyed this lovely collection of poems. Despite its age, so many of the emotions expressed still resonate today. The language used is phenomenal and the descriptions overall have the power to inspire the reader. I especially enjoyed Browning's pacing and rhyme schemes. A wonderful book of poetry.

review 2018-02-03 09:29
Sonnets & Poems, Shakespeare
The Complete Sonnets and Poems - William Shakespeare,Colin Burrow

Excluding the two major narrative poems:

Snooze. It's not bad, just boring. These days only two kinds of people genuinely like these; those who can cope with Love and the Moon poetry, which, thematically, has been losing ground on my attention since I became an adult and those who are obsessed with Shakespeare's life, biographical and/or psychological, who were satirised up to the eyeballs by Oscar Wilde. I don't have that obsession.

The best part is the epitaphs, which are at least witty.

review 2016-02-12 02:27
Sonnets for Heidi - Melissa Bowersock
Sonnets for Heidi - Melissa Bowersock

Sonnets for Heidi is a heartfelt tale in which what-might-have-been becomes a way forward.

Trish has a lot on her plate. She lives in the San Fernando Valley with her boyfriend Eric; they have a great relationship, but Trish had an abusive first marriage and is leery of getting married again. She is also coping with the recent death of her mother -- and the responsiblity for her aunt Heidi that her mother's death has thrust upon her. Trish feels guilty about putting Heidi into a care home, even though Heidi has Alzheimer's and the care home is a great situation for her. Still, she does her best for Heidi, which is more than the woman's son has ever done for her.

Then suddenly, Heidi too dies. And in going through her aunt's things, Trish stumbles onto a family secret -- one that will take her back to her hometown in Pennsylvania, and will introduce her to a woman Heidi never forgot.

Bowersock is a wonderful writer, and here she has brought her characters to life in a kind and loving way. My mother suffered from dementia before she died, and I recognized many of Heidi's behaviors as the coping skills they were -- and I felt for Trish, who always seemed to cope with them with grace. And the way she honored her aunt's memory at the end was marvelous.

I highly recommend Sonnets for Heidi for any reader who enjoys character studies of strong women, and for those who need to be reminded of how oppressed women were in the first half of the 20th century.

***
I received an Advance Reader Copy of this book, and am providing an honest review in exchange.

Source: www.rursdayreads.com/2016/02/sonnets-for-heidi-melissa-bowersock.html
review 2015-10-30 08:00
Pop Sonnets
Pop Sonnets: Shakespearean Spins on Your Favorite Songs - Erik Didriksen

I really liked this one. It started with just the idea, combining Shakespearian poetry and modern pop song lyrics, and, perhaps a little bit to my own surprise, it worked really well.

It's a great mix of new and older songs, so I think everyone will at least be able to recognize the poems for some of the songs. I personally also really liked to search the songs I didn't immediately recognized and to listen to them while reading the poems.

I'd not previously heard of the Tumblr account that post a poem a week, but most of poems are pretty clever and it's not just a nice idea. The executions is good as well. The only thing is obviously that you must like Shakespeare, or else this is going to be an awkward read.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

review 2015-08-15 02:09
Song links would make this Perfect!
Pop Sonnets: Shakespearean Spins on Your Favorite Songs - Erik Didriksen

“I don’t pretend to be Captain Weird. I just do what I do.” – Johnny Depp

OK, here is a question for you – Do you think William Shakespeare is rolling in his grave? No, really. Cee Lo Green DID base his “F**k You!” on one of his sonnets. Just sayin’.

I notice my beloved on thy arm,
and from my lips I spit a vulgar oath
My want of wealth as caus’d my courtship harm,
and so I’ve lost my love;
Ye(sic) on your both!

Translated to:

See you driving ’round town
With the girl I love and I’m like
F–k you
(Ooh, ooh, ooh)
I guess the change in my pocket
Wasn’t enough, I’m like
F–k you
And forget her too

Erik Didriksen’s “Pop Sonnets” is based on the 1743 works of Sir Kirk de Edin who transcribed a small percentage of Shakespeare’s lesser known sonnets to the written word. While many may have been lost over time, as Shakespeare wrote thousands of unpublished sonnets during his lifetime – a lifetime that included the “Great Plague” of 1667 to 1666, and may have led to the loss of much of his work – de Edin rescued as many as he could.

In 1951, Colombia record exec Robert Lorre discovered the manuscripts – and a new era of pop music began, and has continued on to this day. Now, Didriksen has reprinted the original sonnets from the de Edin collection that have inspired popular songs, and the titles of the songs the sonnets inspired. (As an aside, The King’s Men, Shakespeare’s original minstrel troupe, passing down through the ages, scored a no. 1 hit in 1963 with . . . wait for it . . . “Louie, Louie”!)

This collection is wonderful for its revelation of sonnets of the master you may never have heard of – but it is also a screaming riot when you realize just what songs have been based on the sonnets! From the aforementioned Cee Lo Green piece, to artists such as The Animals (House of the Rising Sun), Black Sabbath (“Iron Man”), Michael Jackson (“Thriller”) and, yes, The Village People’s “YMCA” (!) and Nena’s “99 Luftballoons” to works by Buddy Holly, Tommy Tutone, Frank Sinatra and, yes, John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John (giggle) this is a funny, quirky, fascinating look into a modern take on the Bard’s work. Grab it, enjoy it – and if you are like me? Go make a mix playlist of all the songs, in order. I can’t Wait!

I received “Pop Sonnets” from the publisher in exchange for a realistic review. All thoughts are my own. If you enjoy my review, please click “Like” on Amazon. It helps both me and my authors! Thank you.

Source: soireadthisbooktoday.com