logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: prairie
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2017-08-23 04:06
Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll
Prairie Tale: A Memoir - Melissa Gilbert

In the beginning of the book, she discusses how she got started and why she wrote this book. She tells how she was adopted and as the book goes along how that affected her life and how she viewed herself. She talks about how she felt playing a role that she couldn't even begin to understand and how she felt in those roles. She talks about how she met and dated and was engaged to the men in her life. At times I felt that she was name dropping and other times you felt like you were working through her issues to become healthy.

It was a very good read and at times it was interesting to see behind the scenes of filming on so many shows. It was interesting to note how she went down the rabbit hole to addiction and what made the trip go faster or how she drug herself out of the rabbit hole.

I read the book by Alison Arngrim and enjoyed it, so I thought it would be interesting to see another side of the "Little House" stories.

review 2017-04-02 01:38
Prairie Boy
Prairie boy: An artist tells of his growing-up days on the Canadian prairies - Harry J. Baerg

The life on the Canadian prairie a hundred years ago was one of adventure and hard work for a boy growing up, even without school to worry about.  In Prairie Boy by artist -author Harry Baerg writes about events over 9 years of his life on and around his family farm in central Saskatchewan in an engaging autobiography geared towards young adults.

Beginning with purchase of his family’s farm outside the town of Waldheim in 1917 when he was 8, Baerg writes about many features of life over the next 9 years until his family left for British Columbia.  As an avid nature writer, Baerg’s descriptions of the wildlife around his farm and his family’s farm animals are very well done as well as chores surrounding the latter.  His descriptive illustrations, in both words and images, of various activities brought to life how farmers a century ago dealt with daily life without the technological developments that would occur over the course of the rest of the century.  Baerg spends time on both his schooling and how modern inventions slowly started coming into town and into their family’s life, making one realize that even the faintest resemblance to our world today was barely visible a century ago.

Coming in under 130 pages, Prairie Boy is a very quick read but very informative and entertaining.  Although intended for a young adult audience, Harry Baerg’s autobiography of his time growing up is something adults looking for an relaxing read would find interesting.

review 2017-03-07 00:00
Where the Wind Blows (Prairie Hearts, #1)
Where the Wind Blows (Prairie Hearts, #1) - Caroline Fyffe 2.5 stars

This wasn't really my kind of story, but I do recommend it to anyone needing a break from all the sex and dramatics in a lot of the romance these days. It's clean and sweet, but it's pretty predictable. It's kinda like a book version of a Hallmark show.
review 2017-01-17 20:24
Little House on the Prairie
Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder,Garth Williams

Another one of my favorite series! This series is set in the American Western Pioneer days and observes the life of the Ingalls family. The Lexile level is 600L. I would use this in a 4th or 5th grade classroom. I would start off by discussing what the Homestead Act is and what pioneers needed to start a new life. I would have students brainstorm what they needed to settle, what problems they might have faced, and how the Indians came into play. I would then ask them to compare their houses to our houses today. We would read aloud several chapters from the books that describe their conditions and houses. (I would look these up before the lesson) We would use a KWL chart to see what we knew, what we wanted to know, and what we learned.

show activity (+)
review 2016-11-05 14:00
Little Town on the Prairie (Little House #7)
Little Town on the Prairie - Garth Williams,Laura Ingalls Wilder

A lot happens in this installment!  It does cover quite a bit of time in the storyline, and you see how Laura is growing up, ever faster.  Almanzo and Laura finally meet, though it was not a formal introduction as it should have been.  We see a reappearance of Nellie Oleson, and she's as spiteful as ever!  She's a character you love to hate!  It's interesting to see Laura's transition to a town girl, and she mostly keeps the characteristics that I enjoyed when she was a younger girl.  I'm eager to see where she goes from here!