logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: publisher-kensington
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-09-07 21:55
Review ~ Decent read
Dead Ringer - Mary Burton

Book source ~ ARC ~ My review is voluntary and honest

Kendall Shaw, local Richmond reporter turned anchorwoman, has spent the last year recovering after being in a serial killer’s sights. Now there are women dying who resemble her and one of the detectives in charge of the investigation, Jacob Warwick, thinks she’s a target. Again. As Jacob and Kendall dig into the victims’ pasts, at first there doesn’t appear to be a connection between them. But Kendall’s sudden nightmares just might tell a different story. Can they catch a killer before the killer catches Kendall?

Told from several POVs this chilling story of a man with an obsession is a nail-biter. The writing is great and the murderer is evasive, but I had a hard time with the characters. Kendall and Jacob in particular. I just couldn’t quite warm up to them. Their character development also seems a bit lacking and the romance between them kinda sudden. However, the suspense build up with the killer is decent. Even if this isn’t the greatest tale out there, it’s enough to keep me turning the pages.

Source: imavoraciousreader.blogspot.com/2019/09/dead-ringer.html
review 2019-09-05 19:21
Review ~ Meh
How To Lose a Demon in 10 Days - Saranna DeWylde

Book source ~ ARC. My review is voluntary and honest.

Grace, the witch, summons Caspian, Crown Prince of Hell, in order to have him destroy her ex-lover and get her son back.

There’s a lot to love about this witch-summons-demon story, but then there’s a lot that’s just meh. The steamy hotness between Grace and Caspian is fan-at-high-speed worthy. There’s humor, interesting characters, decent writing, and an intriguing sub-plot involving Grace’s grandma. However, the villains are on the ridiculous side, Grace can be stupid at times, and the magic is a bit farfetched, as far as magic goes. While slightly entertaining, it’s not the best steamy paranormal rom-com I’ve ever read.

Source: imavoraciousreader.blogspot.com/2019/09/how-to-lose-demon-in-10-days.html
review 2019-08-28 15:57
Review ~ Awesome!
Lord Gray's List - Maggie Robinson

Book source ~ ARC. My review is voluntary and honest.

The London List is the bane of Lord Benton Gray’s existence. Every Tuesday it has featured his debaucherous shenanigans and he’s had enough. Enough, I tell you! He stomps down to the paper to give the editor a good dressing down only to find out his old love is the one running the place. Wut?! How in the name of all the sexy mistresses on Jane Street is this possible? She’s a woman. Dressed like a man. But he knows exactly who he, I mean she, is. Evangeline Ramsey. His very first (and only as it turns out) love.

Evie’s been caught with her hand in the printer’s ink. She’s been poking the London Bear and now he’s come agrowlin’ at her. She should have stopped writing about him, but just couldn’t seem to help herself. He’s the only one who ever made her blood sing and now that he’s in his 30s he should be thinking of settling down, not trying to top each ridiculous exploit he’s involved in. In any case, the jig is up. When he buys the paper from her father, she has to do some fast talking to get him to keep the paper open. And that’s where all the fun begins.

Despite the fact that Ben is a jackass in the beginning (um, who does he think he is trying to tell Evie how to live her life?), I really love this story. Evie is a strong woman with a great mind and a soft heart. She takes a failing paper and makes it profitable. She and her father aren’t rich by any means, but they have a house, some staff, and food on the table at least. Plus, she’s helping so many people through her personal ads that she needs to convince Ben to keep it going. During all of this negotiating they can’t seem to keep their hands off of each other. And that makes for some hilarious predicaments for Ben when he’s out in public with “Mr. Ramsey.” Humor and steamy action with wonderful characters make this a top read of 2019 for me. It’s entertaining and makes my heart all gooey, too. Bravo!

Source: imavoraciousreader.blogspot.com/2019/08/lord-grays-list.html
review 2019-08-12 14:19
Review ~ Decent read
Death Warmed Over - Kevin J. Anderson

Book source ~ ARC. My review is voluntary and honest.

With the unlikely event of the Big Uneasy our world was thrown into a post-apocalyptic paranormal scenario the likes of which has never been seen before. All things fantastical or paranormal are now pretty much everyday life. The problem with such a big change happening so quickly, the laws haven’t had a chance to catch up yet. Enter the office of Chambeaux & Deyer Investigations.

Dan Chambeaux was a live PI. Now he’s a dead one. After his murder he came back as a zombie. Their secretary Sheyenne is a ghost (she was murdered first), and Robin is their human attorney. Together they make a great team if not a lot of money. With a habit of taking Unnatural cases pro bono they really need to solve their paying cases. So, they get to work and in-between, Dan tries to solve his and Sheyenne’s murders.

Well, this is quite the fix to be in. Who knew that a highly unlikely series of events could activate a spell that could turn everything upside down? Well, not literally upside down. Man, they don’t need that on top of everything else. The world is intriguing and I like the characters. The cases the trio are working on are varied and interesting. And then there’s Sheyenne’s and Dan’s murders to solve. Lots going on here, but not too much to overwhelm. The writing is decent, but there’s something a tad off about the whole book and I can’t put my finger on what is bugging me. In any case, it’s still a good read.

Source: imavoraciousreader.blogspot.com/2019/08/death-warmed-over.html
review 2019-05-30 18:49
Review ~ Disappointing
Desire the Night - Amanda Ashley

Book source ~ ARC. My review is voluntary and honest.

Gideon is a couple of hundred years old, a vampire, and he’s being held captive in the basement of an evil witch because his blood keeps her young looking. Vain much? When she tosses Kiya “Kay” Alissano into the cell with him as his next meal, the bitch witch gets more than she bargained for. Kay is the product of a werewolf father and a human mom. While not a full-blood werewolf, she still shifts at the full moon and is wicked strong. With the full moon only a couple days away, she only needs to keep the vampire from killing her and they can both get free.

I started out really loving this story. The part with just Gideon and Kay is great. The part with her dumbass father, the pack, and his dictate for her to marry his chosen one even though she can’t stand the guy is just stupid. The fact that Kay even goes back to the pack is stupid. Everything about the pack is stupid. Also, there’s marital rape. WTF This could have been so much better, but it fell apart because Kay has no spine. Ugh! I’m not interested in any more of this series because of the way this one played out.

Source: imavoraciousreader.blogspot.com/2019/05/desire-night.html