logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: publishers
Load new posts () and activity
review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-07-08 10:25
Kept by the Viking
Kept by the Viking (Forgotten Sons) - Gina Conkle

My reviews are honest & they contain spoilers. For more, follow me:

Gina Conkle is known for her hot and well-written Viking romances. Kept by the Viking, book 1 in a brand new series, is the latest in her growing backlist. Though I had a slow beginning, I really enjoyed the storyline and thought the H and h were absolutely adorable together.

The series titled Forgotten Sons is based on a band of Viking brothers where they’re mainly connected by circumstances, rather than bloodline. But Kept by the Viking largely focuses on the H and h’s relationship and everything surrounding it, rather than building up a backstory for the heroes of the Forgotten Sons, as they call themselves. Then again, there are 6 of them and I’m sure the author will reveal their stories in their own books. All I could gather that they had known each-other since childhood. They share a very strong bond and would do anything for one another. They’re called Forgotten Sons because of some circumstances or the other has made them leave their own home in search of glory, financial stability and, if possible, a home of their own where they can settle.

Kept by the Viking is the story of Rurik, the leader of the Forgotten Sons; a son of Birka, his birthplace. Rurik didn’t have a great childhood, and the aftermaths of that shaped his entire life every way possible. His father, Vlad, was a mean, merciless man whose show of ‘affection’ came with the use of his fist. He had treated Rurik’s mother like the dirt, and at one point, when the young Rurik rebelled against it he was beaten mercilessly. There are more stories of Vlad’s violence, but needless to say, since he left them Rurik or his mother, brother and sisters didn’t shed a single tear for that POS. He hates his father with a passion that rivals his need to possess his own lands.

review 2018-06-12 05:20
All Is Good In The Ilona Andrews Book Universe
Iron and Magic - Ilona Andrews

Iron and Magic, filled with some of my favorite things. Snark, sparks, witty comebacks, testy relationships, challenging characters, magic, fantastic beasties and romance.

Finally Hugh got his own book. Yes the dude who was treated so badly by his father figure and his semi sibling while being one super nasty dark dastardly villain. You know in the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews ? Yes that Hugh. Hugh is so cold he's hot. Yup ladies he's one of those boys you hate to love and can't stop yourself from drooling too. Please if you haven't read the Daniels series do before you start this, you need to know this man before.

Hugh has been through so serious battles, hard core childhood, and lived a one dimensional focused unemotional life. War, war war, fight, fight ,fight, blood, blood, blood, it was his thing till he was booted out of the dread kids club. He took his most loyal warriors The black Dogs and they hit the road trying to.... well staying alive would be nice. You see more than one person wanted them dead or worse. On this path they stumble upon a castle filled with people who are in danger of __________ .  This castle has a harpy and she loathes this man. Let the fun begin !

Elara, the harpy. she is something. Snarktastic ! Her lines are some of the funniest I think I might have gotten the Guinness record for highlighting.  Strong, yes she is and she struggles not to to fall for the bad guy.  I loved her while she felt unwanted feelings she never wavered who she was to fit a mold.

Bucky, he won my heart more than any character. He's a stud, a big hot blooded stud with such and attitude ! When he pranced after a nasty bit I burst out laughing.

I'm not going to tell you anymore, no spoilers. This is going to be another fantastic series from these wonderfully creative authors.  Thank you NetGalley and NYLA Publishers for the chance to review it.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-05-30 09:42
Lonestar's Lady
Lonestar's Lady - Deborah Camp

My reviews are honest & they contain spoilers. For more, follow me:

Deborah Camp’s historical romance Lonestar’s Lady was a surprisingly good read, one that I enjoyed till the end. It had some heart-warming, some funny and definitely sexy moments that kept me throughly entertained. I do believe I’ve become a fan of the author’s writing. :D

Gussie Horton arrives in Pear Orchard Arkansas on a livestock wagon all stinky and dirty and alone in hopes for a better future. After all, she left her no good drunken father, the only family member, to get married. She’s supposed to be the proverbial mail-order bride to a man she’s never met before. But Gussie was desperate for her own life with a loving husband and a family of her own. Most importantly, she was tired of being dragged by her papa from place to place and fending off unwanted attentions from his ‘buddies’ when her papa was unconscious from a day of heavy drinking. So yeah, Gussie wanted out and away as far as possible from that life and this seemed like her only chance.

Gussie didn’t expect a lot, but she’d hoped her would-be groom would at the least be a nice fellow who has his own homestead, an income, and one who doesn’t touch liquor with 10 feet pole. It was very apparent that she was naïve and prone to daydreaming because she presumed too many things, never considering that an exact opposite scenario is a possibility as well. Unfortunately, that’s exactly what happens when she arrives on the train station and found nobody waiting for her. After waiting for hours, Gussie finally decides to hitch her own ride with what little she had and go in search of her errant groom. Thankfully she knew Bob Babbitt’s address.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-05-13 11:04
Montana Maverick
Montana Maverick (Bear Grass Springs Book 3) - Ramona Flightner

My reviews are honest & they contain spoilers. For more, follow me:

Montana Maverick is the book 3 of Ramona Flightner’s historical romance series, Bear Grass Springs. A huge fan of her debut series Banished Saga, I didn’t hesitate picking it up when I heard she’s coming up with a new HR set in a slightly different era. Regrettably, have to say that so far I haven’t felt the connection with the stories as well as I thought I would.

Whereas Banished Saga is set in the early 20th century America, Bear Grass Springs is set in the 1880s Montana. It’s also quite different that Banished Saga in the sense that each story ends in your traditional HEA. Yes, it’s still a clean romance and yes, we still get to know about a family and see them find love one after another but you get your traditional HEA, rather than a Saga where it spans years and includes new characters of new generations. I love both styles and appreciate the author exploring both routes. Initially, many readers complained about the first book of Banished Saga not having a traditional HEA. But that won’t be an issue with the Bear Grass Springs novels.

Book 1, Montana Untamed, introduces us to the MacKinnon brothers Cailean, Alistair and Ewan and their younger sister, Sorcha. They came to America from Scotland to settle down after they were forced from their lands. The eldest two arrived first. Eventually, Ewan and Sorcha joined them. Cailean and Alistair are very successful livery owners, the only one in the small town of Bear Grass Springs. Ewan’s skills lie with carpentry, which the people of the town appreciated, so he’s been doing good as well. Both well-liked and respected among the people and, alongside Ewan, they’re also well sought after bachelors. Cailean the eldest is what I’d call a grumpy bear. Very serious and moody. Alistair, the middle brother, seemed like the one with a sound head on his shoulders. Cool and calm as they say. Ewan is the happy go lucky charmer who can be impetuous at times. His gambling habit is one of those things that his brothers do not approve of. Sorcha is still young and brash, she has her own burdens to bear too as you will read, but her brothers love her all the same.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-03-24 07:57
The Baronet's Bride
The Baronet's Bride (Midnight Quill Book 3) - Emily Larkin

My reviews are honest & they contain spoilers. For more, follow me:

The Baronet’s Bride is a novella by Emily Larkin and the final installment of her historical romance series, Midnight Quill. I’ve loved and enjoyed the author’s previous works, and this new installment is no different. It was well-written like them all. In fact, for me, it’s a surprising installment in the series that I didn’t expect to see but was quite delighted when it was released. I’ll try to explain as I go.

Book 1 of Midnight Quill was The Spinster’s Secret. When I read it back in 2013, it wasn’t a series. In fact, the prologue of sort, The Countess’s Groom was published after book 1. But it was written in a way that I was still able to enjoy it, even though I generally like reading my series in order. The connections between both books were nicely done but they were also good standalones on their own. Personally I don’t think you absolutely need to read the prologue before reading book 1, though I’d suggest reading it just for the enjoyment. But The Baronet’s Bride is rather a straight-out extension of The Spinster’s Secret. The h and H of this novella, Gareth and Ceci, were introduced as the secondary couple, and I thought they got their HEA too because they got married within that story. I wanted a bit more of their romance but wasn’t expecting a separate installment. When I think of the publication date of book 1, it obviously was quite a long time coming too.