logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: quote
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-08-12 11:30
A Son of the Sun by Fabien Nury, Eric Henninot (Illustrator)

Parlay is the French king of a dying island tribe and the father of the sublime Armande. He’s selling his pearls, a fortune collected from his island’s lagoon. The wealthiest traders in the Solomon Islands have been invited to the auction, except for David Grief, the Englishman the natives call the Son of the Sun. Come hell or high water—probably both—Grief will be there. And he isn’t coming for the pearls.

---------------

REVIEW

** I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK FOR MY READING PLEASURE **
Copy received through Netgalley

~

A Son of the Sun is based on Jack London novels. While I've never been a Jack London reader, I found this graphic novel to be beautifully illustrated, with that old-fashioned grit and colour of classic books, and well paced, with a great plot.

A Son of the Sun, by Fabian Nury
★★★★☆
80 Pages

Let's start with the simple stuff:

Would I read it again?: Yes!
Genre: Comic, Graphic Novel, Adventure
Content Warning: deals with alcoholism, gambling, slavery, suicide, racism

Now, let's get down to the nitty gritty:

David Grief is an interesting lead character. He has everything he could want at his disposal, wealth, respect, a business empire, but he has nothing really to live for since the woman he loved committed suicide. There are a whole host of other traders and sailors, but he's the main plot, and by far the most interesting.

There are hints that this “Parlay” character is the one bringing them all together, but that Grief is the only one not invited, and we don't really know why until they reach Parlay's island. The slow trickle of information and backstory was really well done, I loved the snippets of flashbacks and the hints that were littered throughout, but never too heavily relied on.

The writing style is great, for a graphic novel. It gives the same kind of detail and background as a novel could, but in a condensed form and keeping only to the bullet point facts that we need to know to follow the story. The plot was well paced and told a great story about the dangers of greed, lust, and love. About how pride could hurt yourself more than anyone else, in the end. And that last panel was a perfect ending.

The one fault I had – the reason it's not a 5 star review – is because the format of the pdf meant that it was hard to read. If it had been in comic form (cbr/cbz) then I could have used a comic reader to read each individual panel. However, that option wasn't available, so I had to enlarge the page, which meant that the page took a moment to adjust and sometimes didn't; I often ended up with blurry text that was hard to read, no matter how far I zoomed in. It made for a difficult reading experience and I missed a few speech bubbles, for the simple fact they were too small and too blurry to read, which, in the end, affected the flow and ease of reading.

However, the story still managed to come through, so I'd still read it again.

Although it's currently not available on paperback, I'd definitely buy it. I'm also going to get the original novel, and read that. This graphic novel was a great introduction to Jack London's work, for me, and I'm eager to read more from both this author and him.

review 2018-06-23 00:56
Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist

A trip down reading memory lane with one of the countless inspiring quotes from Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist:

Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist is a perfect example of the saying ‘good things come in small packages’. The simple little tale conveys a very powerful and inspirational message. First published in Portuguese in 1988, it is considered a modern classic. Continue reading >>

Source: bookloverbookreviews.com/2010/05/book-review-alchemist-by-paulo-coelho.html
review 2017-02-15 14:24
ama-alchemy-of-love-by-natasa-pantovic-nuit-quote-about-enlightenment
A-Ma Alchemy of Love - Nataša Pantović Nuit

Ama Alchemy of Love Spiritual Novel by Nataša Pantović Nuit quote about enlightenment

review 2016-09-08 11:08
Oblivion (1.5 Lux) - my review
Oblivion - Jennifer L. Armentrout

While this book was enjoyable, it was nowhere near as enthralling as the books from Kat's POV. Her books snatch you unaware with her wit, humour and wonderful personality, sucking you down into the story, next thing you knows it's been 3 hours and you only thought 5 minutes had passed, and your still desperate for more.

So yea I did enjoy seeing Kat from Daemon's POV but he didn't hold the story together as well, it felt occasionally like it was jumping from one scene to the next. Plus his emotions didn't seem to go as in-depth as Kat's, and he was nowhere near as amusing. Sorry to say this Daemon but without Kat your kind of a bore!

Either way glad I read the book while I'm waiting to re-read the third book.

*side note: just after finishing this book I heard 'I like big butts' on the radio, pretty sure Daemon's personality was made to suit this song. lol, here's my proof -

want to pull up tough
'Cause you notice that butt was stuffed
Deep in the jeans she's wearing
I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
Oh baby, I want to get wit'cha
And take your picture

(So far this has been completely Daemon, I believe he's even said similar lines to this!! then his friends of course warn him away)

My homeboys tried to warn me

(Obviously the next part is totally Daemon)

But with that butt you got makes (me so horny)
Ooh, Rump-o'-smooth-skin
You say you want to get in my Benz?
Well, use me, use me
'Cause you ain't that average groupie
I've seen her dancin'
To hell with romancin'
She's sweat, wet,
Got it goin' like a turbo 'Vette
I'm tired of magazines
Sayin' flat butts are the thing

(Referring to his ex)

Take the average black man and ask him that
She gotta pack much back

It's crazy how well it fits, I cracked myself up in the car just picturing him dancing and singing along to this while thinking of Kat, possibly even to her. I must have been driving around with the biggest grin on my face! it's beautiful really, but now you can see why I said his thoughts weren't as deep or meaningful as Kat's, dude had a total one track mind. I know he's a teenage boy and all but good god. haha.

3 stars

review 2016-06-30 02:41
Totally Digging this Series
Sacrificial Magic - Stacia Kane

Perfect song for this book > Blister in the Sun by Violent Femmes

I found this book incredibly addictive and difficult to put down, in saying that Chess drove me fairly nutty in this book. She whinged & whined sooo much, not about her past - that would have been understandable - no it was about the same issue as the last book. It must be a pet-peeve of mine cause it really got on my nerves. but I'm hoping she'll be over it in the next book - as for the rest, it was really good. I love how dark and gritty this book was. Really this quote sums it up perfectly

'But she thought he was smiling.
Well, of course he was. He wasn't the one sitting there being sliced open and inspected.
Or maybe normal people - people not like her - didn't mind talking about this stuff. Even liked it. Normal people actually wanted to talk about themselves, to toss their guts on the table before them and invite others to pick through the mess. It made them feel important.'

This ^^ is why I keep coming back for more.

Unfortunately I am going to knock off a star

because Chess spent a good chunk of the book whining over Terrible

(spoiler show)