logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: read-2016
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-03-24 20:34
Undeniably one of the craziest books I ever read…
Illuminae - Jay Kristoff,Amie Kaufman

--Below is my review for this book in paperback format, I just listened to this in Audio format, and it was phenomenal, a full cast of characters for narration sets this apart from most audiobooks, if you've been thinking of trying an audiobook...get this one.  The only downfall is it could spoil you for regular audiobooks.

Book Title:  Illuminae

Author:  Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff

Series:  Illuminae Files #1

Genre:  Science Fiction, Deep Space, YA

Source:  Own on Paperback

⇝Add to Goodreads⇜

♪♫My Picks For Book Theme Song♫♪

♫Here's to the Heartache by Nothing More  --It's spooky, it's like it was written to go with this book.♫  &

My Demons by Starset  --This is AIDAN'S song, for sure.  I believe that if they ever get around to making a movie for this, Starset could do the whole Soundtrack.♫

Ratings Breakdown

Flow:  4/5

Backdrop (World Building):  4/5

Originality:  5+++

Book Cover:  5/5

Ending:  5+++  Cliffhanger:  No, but you can tell it's not over yet…

Will I continue this series?  H*** Yes!!!

My Thoughts

If I explained this book in one word it would be:  Intense

Some other words would be…

Raw, Graphic, Gut-wrenching, Teeth-clenching, Nail-biting, Wonder, Awe, Interstellar, Lol, Fearful, Doubtful, Suspenseful, Thrilling, Movie-worthy, a-pain-in-the-ass-to-read-at-times, and ultimately Satisfying.

I read this in Paperback form, and I need to say, I really don't like reading actual books.  The print is too small for me see, even with my glasses on, unless I'm in direct sunlight.  I also had a kindle version from the library, that I read on whenever it was too dark for my paperback.  I'm glad I had both versions; it helped immensely.  For this book…you need to read it in hardcover or paperback.  Not all of the parts of it are easily read from a kindle.  This is so interesting that I'm contemplating using a Audible credit to buy the book in Audio version. Side-note--I did that

Sex Factor:  There is only talk of sexual situations, but this book is definitely older YA; because of the intensity of the graphicness.

review 2017-03-10 21:53
Review: "The Imperfection of Swans" by Brandon Witt
The Imperfection of Swans - Brandon Witt

"He was more than a pretty face, this Kevin Bivanti. Maybe he was worth crying over in a bathroom. “Because of fate. We have to have both. Fate and hard work. And the willingness to leap."

This was even more wonderful in the reread. So I'm bumping up my initial rating from 4.5 to 5 stars while also putting this gem on my "favorite" shelf.

If this book was a wedding dress, it would have been designed by Vera Wang.

********************************************

Publisher: Grove Atlantic

Publication Date: 3/7/2017

Format: Other

My Rating: 3 Stars

Paula Daly returns following The Mistake I Made landing on my Top Books of 2015, with her fourth and latest domestic suspense THE TROPHY CHILD with an array of dysfunction and madness, mixed with mystery.

Our favorite DS Joanne Aspinall (from previous books), revisits—always finding herself in the middle of trouble and mischief.

Karen Bloom (achievement-obsessed) is a tiger mom to ten- year-old Bonte. Karen is married to womanizer Noel and does not pay much attention to her stoner son, Ewan, and her teenage stepdaughter, Verity (drug possession). She had to agree to weekly onsite drug tests and counseling sessions.

Of course, Karen compares the other two children, to her precious Bonte. Brontë goes missing, and Karen is, of course, crazy with worry, since her daughter is her life.

Karen did not care that people called her a tiger mom. She was proud of it “It was an easy way to justify their own lazy lives, their own acceptance of mediocrity.”

And Karen was very sorry, but she wasn’t having that for Bronte. It was her duty to prepare her daughter for the life ahead of her in the best way she knew how.

Life was a competition. Only the best and the brightest succeeded, and if that meant Karen had to put her own hopes and dreams on the back burner, while she invested everything she had in Bronte’s future, so be it.

In the meantime, we catch up with Joanne, joining secondchance.com and her share of bad men and dating. She is always good for a few laughs.

Joanne is called in to investigate when Bronte goes missing from Windermere. She soon learns and is shocked to find a connection to Noel. (Seamus-whom she had gone to bed with six nights previously). She had no idea he was married. She had sex with the father of a missing child. Not cool.

Noel is a small-town GP. He had to be careful so as not to run into his patients. There was his first wife, then Karen. Second marriage problems, and stepchildren.

The child returns unhurt, (where was she), but not before Karen has stirred up all sorts of problems and outrage. Then Karen turns up murdered. Not liked by many, did Noel kill his wife? Was she sleeping around? There is a long line of suspects.

Now Joanne must find the killer and figure out what happened to Bronte. Was the same person involved?

A crazy bunch, this was my least favorite of all Daly’s books. I have read all her books and each has been 5-star, except for this one. Too much drama and not enough likable characters, except for Joanne (she is always a spark); however, beginning to question even her choices.

Fans of Liane Moriarty's Big Little Lies may enjoy the dysfunction, drama and dark humor.

A special thank you to Grove Atlantic and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Source: www.judithdcollinsconsulting.com/single-post/2016/09/03/The-Trophy-Child
review 2017-02-07 16:58
They Killed Santa in Cowabunga Christmas @aburke59
Cowabunga Christmas - Anna Celeste Burke

Cowabunga Christmas by Anna Celeste Burke hooked me. How can I possibly resist sitting in that lounger, watching Kim and Brien hit the surf and wonder what trouble they will find as they butt into a murder mystery.

Christmas, a tropical beach locale and a dead Santa…Merry Christmas to you.

Cowabunga dudes and dudettes, “Sur’f Up.”

MY REVIEW

Cowabunga Christmas by Anna Celeste Burke has so much going for it…A gorgeous cover, hot surfer dudes and dudettes, Santa, a murder mystery and…

We begin our adventure by jumping the fence around the closed pool at this elite resort and taking a “midnight” swim. I have jumped a fence or two in my time, so I thought this was a good sign.

Daniela Ruah - Monte-Carlo Television Festival.jpg

It’s Christmas, Kim is on her honeymoon with her hot and hunky surfer dude hubby, Brien. Kim was going to learn to surf and she got her very own wettie for Christmas.

They are opposites – He is hard and fast, she is slow and soft. The picture of them, in my head, is my favorite two characters from NCIS Los Angeles, Kensi Blye, Daniela Ruah, and Marty Deeks, Eric Christian Olsen.

Eric Christian Olsen - Monte-Carlo Television Festival (cropped).jpg

Shortly after their pool jumping adventure, a body is found floating in the pool…dead. Oh no, it’s Santa.

We have a double and a triple cross and is there a treasure?

Cowabunga Christmas by Anna Celeste Burke with its easy reading and colorful characters has all the elements for a fun and humorous cozy mystery.

One mystery is solved…but, wait, there’s more on the horizon in Gnarly New Year.

“Cowabunga Christmas – it’s the most epic Christmas anyone could every have. We had one of the most awesome mornings surfing.” From Brien.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  3 Stars

• To see all my Giveaways, go HERE.
  • Thanks for visiting!
review 2017-01-28 13:43
Goodnight Batcave - Dave Croatto,Tom Ric... Goodnight Batcave - Dave Croatto,Tom Richmond

It's Mad Magazine doing that thing that they do! Recommended.