logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: read-2016
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-28 01:11
Dracula by Bram Stoker (audiobook)
Dracula - Bram Stoker,Susan Duerden,Tim Curry,Graeme Malcolm,Steven Crossley,John Lee,Alan Cumming,Simon Vance,Katherine Kellgren

Once again, this was a good full cast audiobook experience, although there are portions that drag. And although I like how competent Mina is, it's annoying to see her patronized as well.

I finished this a while ago but was lazy about posting anything. I read it for the Gothic square for the 2018 Halloween Bingo.

review 2018-06-24 22:03
The Mistake - Elle Kennedy

This definitely does not pack the punch of The Deal, but is told in the same breezy, quick, engaging and frankly realistic style (speaking of the banter/conversation here). I also don't think it has the humor. I don't love comparing within series, I don't think it's fair. I just did it though, and I'll stand by that.

Frankly, I like these two characters backstories and conflicts far better than I like the predecessors because it felt more fresh, and in a lot of ways they weren't fixated like the way the characters in the prior novel. It features another sweet and open hero who basically just wants love.

So, why deduct a star-ish you ask? Grace. I thought she was realistic in a college freshman, kind of insecure way, but she flipped so quickly in her assertiveness,  it was annoying. And in the final conflict at the tail end of the book, I cannot be convinced that her behavior was sensitive or in any regard in character for her. I didn't get a great sense of her. She was shy and wasn't, she was sensitive but wasn't.

That said, I enjoy this series more than nearly any NA, and it is tops for hockey. In some respects, I liked the pacing of this book better-and it shows another college couple getting to their happy ending in a very different way with a very different start. (And my eyes do get wet at one point, man, what the hell is happening to me)

review 2018-04-19 20:27
Saving The Snow Leopards in The Killing Game by Toni Anderson @ toniannanderson
The Killing Game - Toni Anderson

I love the cover below for The Killing Game by Toni Anderson. I have seen a lot of covers done by Demonza and they do a great job!

The Killing Game

Amazon Goodreads

MONDAY MINI REVIEW

I love thriller/suspense novels and Toni Anderson is a must read author for me…then add a wildlife biologist wanting to save the snow leopards…YAY!

What do a British SAS agent, a wildlife biologist and a Russian terrorist have in common? Snow leopards. One wants to save them, one wants to kill them, and the other is caught in the middle.

I love everything about the book, The characters, both good and bad, they all have their part to play. The location and the objective, who wouldn’t want to travel to Afghanistan on a mission to save something as beautiful and endangered as the snow leopard?

Toni Anderson writes some fantastic tales filled with danger, and this is another one I am happy to have traveled through. Keep up the great work and “I’ll be back” for more!

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  5 Stars

GOODREADS BLURB

Wildlife biologist Axelle Dehn isn’t about to let anyone harm her endangered snow leopards—not the poacher intent on killing them, nor the soldier who wants to use them as bait. But Axelle is unknowingly entangled in a conflict that stretches back three decades, a conflict that could spark a war between two of the world’s great nations.

​British SAS soldier, Ty Dempsey, is on a mission to hunt down an infamous Russian terrorist in a remote region of Afghanistan. Dempsey hasn’t failed a mission yet, but when Axelle is kidnapped by the Russian, he is forced to choose between duty and his heart. He risks everything to save the determined, prickly woman he’s fallen for, but in doing so sparks a deadly series of events that threaten to expose the most successful spy in history. A spy who will destroy anyone who gets in his way.

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/saving-the-snow-leopards-in-the-killing-game-by-toni-anderson-toniannanderson
review 2018-04-16 18:24
What Is Your Meaning of Success – Climbing Maya by Ken La Salle @KenLaSalle
Climbing Maya - Ken La Salle

Climbing Maya

Amazon  /  Audible  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

Ego can be one of our biggest downfalls, or at least it is for Ken.

In our youth, we feel all things are possible. Who do we end up disappointed? Do we expect too much? Some people accept the world as it is, others fight to change it. Some people go through life with a smile, others a frown. Which are you?

Some people turn to religion, philosophy, health and exercise. Whatever regimen allows us to cope.

What is success? It means something different to each of us. Does it take a major event… divorce, loss of a job…to make us reassess ourselves? Denial doesn’t stop things from happening and challenging your boss won’t save your job.

I wondered about the title…Climbing Maya..and it is one man’s search for success. Why do people climb mountains? Is there only one answer? My mind is spinning, yet I have my answer…am I content with my life? Yes. I have many of the things I dreamt of and more. I am content and happy to be able to do the things I love in life and have someone to share them with.

I can relate to Vicky and her ‘support’ of her man. She sounds a lot like me. And…yo dude…I am glad you figured it out and moved on.

One man’s journey for the meaning of success opens his eyes to what is truly valuable and meaningful in his world and isn’t that how it should be?

Climbing Maya by Ken La Salle is a thought provoking book that may keep you up at night as you ponder what is your meaning to success.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Climbing Maya by Ken La Salle.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4 Stars

READ MORE HERE

MY KEN LA SALLE REVIEWS

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gifLook on the right sidebar and let’ talk.
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting fundinmental!
review 2018-02-25 15:55
Spin by Robert Charles Wilson
Spin - Robert Charles Wilson

Series: Spin #1

I changed my mind. Three stars feels a little too generous for this so I'm going with 2.5.

It's a great concept and wanting to find out what had happened kept me reading. Basically, one night all the stars go out and humanity discovers the entire planet has been enveloped in a weird opaque (-ish) membrane that has a simulated sun but doesn't actually let anyone see through it. And somehow Earth's perception of time has slowed way down with respect to the rest of the solar system. So Wilson invokes crazy physics in an interesting way because the general consensus is that some alien race has done this...for reasons.

So I really wanted to found out more about these "Hypotheticals" (the aliens) and what they had done to the Earth, but I struggled to get through the book because I didn't actually like any of the characters. Tyler was tiresome, Jason was your sort of typical nerd genius, I got tired of E. D., the abusive father (verbal and mental abuse, not physical) real fast, and I had zero patience for Diane's desire to ruin her life by running off to find religion and marry a controlling husband. Tyler's thing for Diane was more pathetic than romantic, and some of what I would have found way more interesting (the stuff that was happening to Jason) got glossed over near the end because Tyler just wasn't around for most of it.

I know Wilson already played the crazy physics card with the Spin membrane but I just couldn't suspend my disbelief very well for the Mars terraforming plan. Mars is just too small for that to work, especially over that kind of time scale. Seriously, you'd lose all the "atmosphere" you liberated unless you repeatedly crashed comets into it, and even then....

But I did want to keep reading, which why I debated between 3 and 2.5 stars.

Previous updates: