logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: read-a-thon
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-10-22 02:37
The Girl With All the Gifts
The Girl with All the Gifts - M.R. Carey

WOA!  WOW!

What a great book to read in one sitting.

review 2017-05-11 04:17
Review of "Six of Crows" (The Dregs, #1)
Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo

Well, technically the ebook edition I read came to the end of the book at 77% (sneak peeks of other books, acknowledgements, etc.).

Helluva ride and a great book.  Lots of dire straits and insurmountable odds.  But with characters that get to you.

Although, I'm not sure if I really should have read the Grisha trilogy first.

Ratings scale used in absence of a booklikes suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Average.   Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked or meh? but kept me reading in hopes would get better.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. Cannot imagine anyone liking.  (Might also be just an "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." If author is going batshit crazy in the blogosphere over reviews -- I now know why they are getting bad reviews.  Or maybe author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them?)

review 2016-05-22 06:25
Missed the Mark- 1.5 stars...
The Communication Room - Adam Aresty

"Leonard Ackerman works at a remote army base trying to solve the greatest threat facing mankind. An alien invasion that has eroded our species down to very few numbers as far as Ackerman can tell. His base is compromised and Ackerman retreats to a laboratory he has never been inside, locking himself there with the enemy right outside his door. Inside the lab are thirteen telephones—from the American civil war through to Ackerman’s present day, about 100 years from now."

"This laboratory seems to be some sort of closed experiment and Ackerman discovers that he cannot exit the lab until the experiment has run its course. The method and ultimate goal of the test is beyond his reach for now... but the first telephone rings and the only thing Ackerman can do is answer..."

I'll admit I was intrigued when I read the blurb for this book but I honestly did not enjoy the story like I thought I would. I understand what the author was trying to do but it just missed the mark for me, especially at the end. The ending just didn't gel with the actual closed experiment story line. I was left wondering if the ending was actually written for a totally different story. I also didn't feel any attachment to the characters so I had a hard time even staying interested in their outcome.

*I received this ARC from NetGalley & Strange Fictions Press in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Reviews Published 80%  Challenge Participant

Caffeinated's 24 HR ARC Readathon

Clean Sweep ARC Challenhe
review 2016-05-21 11:47
Bookburners Season One: Episode 1...
Bookburners: Badge, Book, and Candle (Season 1, Episode 1) - Mur Lafferty,Max Gladstone,Margaret Dunlap,Brian Francis Slattery

Bookburners is a serial about a detective named Sal Brooks who joins a secret Vatican Black-Ops Squad after her brother gets possessed by demons after handling an ancient text that houses dark magic and demons. The squad is tasked with retrieving these books before more demons are spread through the world.

I wasn't sure what to expect going in to this but I knew the serial was about books so I couldn't pass it up. I know my description sounds far out there but the story was actually pretty realistic and not too unbelievable. There's a little bit of mystery, a little action and fantasy and the story moves at a good pace. The black-ops squad is a mix of some pretty cool and quirky characters too.

This was the first episode of Season 1 and there are 16 episodes in this season. I'm definitely going to continue with the serial. I'm very curious to see what happens next. If you're interested in learning more, you can go to www.serialbox.com

*I received Bookburners: The Complete Season One ARC from NetGalley & Serial Box Publishing in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Reviews Published Professional Reader Challenge Participant

24hr Clean Sweep ARC Read-a-Thon Book 1

Caffeinated's 24 HR ARC Readathon
Clean Sweep ARC Challenhe
review 2016-04-27 21:54
Review of "Midnight Blue-Light Special" (InCrypid, #2) by Seanan McGuire aka Mira Grant
Midnight Blue-Light Special - Seanan McGuire

This reader's personal opinion, ©2016, all rights reserved, not to be quoted, clipped or used in any way by Google Play, Penumbra Publishing, amazon.com or other commercial booksellers*

This was as fast-paced and frequently hilarious as the first book in the series, Discount Armageddon.  I hadn't been in a hurry to continue the series (despite loving the Aeslin mice) just because knew series didn't keep same main characters throughout. This one was still Verity's tale. And story arc wrapped up nicely for her, no cliffhanger ending here.

A perfect read for last Saturday's Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon plus Bookshelf BINGO's Urban Fantasy shelf.

Kinda worth reading this one just to see Istas and the Aeslin mice bonding over carcasses.

I will be pursuing the series. Next book is brother Alex's and with any luck may find out if last male dragon William's

eggs hatch boys or girls and if they get him out of the subway/city that built around his hibernation.

(spoiler show)

A couple of quotes:

“Verity didn’t mind bogeymen—they were pretty nice, mostly, if you didn’t let them talk you into doing anything you weren’t supposed to do—..."

"Cryptid, noun:
1. Any creature whose existence has been suggested but not proven scientifically. Term officially coined by cryptozoologist John E. Wall in 1983.
2. That thing that's getting ready to eat your head.
3. See also: monster"

These books are so much fun -- and so utterly not what I expected from Hugo-award-winning [author:Seanan McGuire|2860219] aka [author:Mira Grant|3153776].

*©2016. All rights reserved except permission is granted to author or publisher (except Penumbra Publishing) to reprint/quote in whole or in part. I may also have posted on booklikes, goodreads, Leafmarks, and may have cross-posted to other book sites including kobo and Barnes and Noble. Posting on any site does not grant that site permission to share with any third parties.

Ratings scale used in absence of a booklikes suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Average.   Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked or meh? but kept me reading in hopes would get better.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.