logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: read-a-thon
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-02-03 14:32
A Deep Dive into Shame and Resilience
I Thought It Was Just Me (But It Isn't): Making the Journey from "What Will People Think?" to "I Am Enough" - Brené Brown

I Thought It Was Just Me (but it isn't): Making the Journey from "What Will People Think?" to "I Am Enough"

by: Brené Brown

Well, I finally forced myself to get on it and finish this book. It took me forever because it starts out with much of the same material I've already heard... Turns out I listened and read in the wrong order, sort of. You may remember that I wrote about my obsession with Brown's chatty Men, Women and Worthiness in January. What I wanted more than anything after that was a deeper dive. Turns out, she wrote one back in 2007, and here it is!

The big difference is that this research and book is centered completely on women, however, we now know that despite men and women having different shame causes, or despite them looking different on the outside, all shame is the same, so this book really does have good information for anyone willing to identify with the basics.

Brené Brown spent six years talking to women, back when men wouldn't admit that addiction, workaholism, rage, isolation, etc are all somewhat shame-based. They told us men didn't have the same issues with shame as women. We now know better (frankly women knew this all along,) but Brown wanted a valid study, so she talked to women. Once any gender overcomes the fear of admitting to shame, all of the information here is just as valid for men as it is for women as it is for someone who doesn't fall into the binary gender categories. The only difference is the examples.

Shame shows up everywhere from biggies like addiction and self-injury to perfectionism, anger, and blame. It affects everything from our physical health, self-image to our relationships and ability to feel a part of the community. Those relationships I mention include ones with people as well as money, work, friendships and everything else we relate to.

The best parts of this book promise to be the basic information that comforts the reader by giving us the data and a push to brave the fear of shame and let some sunshine in. Sunlight is the antidote to shame. We have to put aside the false bravado to become our truest selves and then, in a perverse twist, can we ultimately fit in.

Sadly, this book only illuminates the myriad ways our culture shames women with example after example. Honestly, there are too many examples. I could have done with half the examples. It begins to feel like filler after a while. I was also stunned to hear exactly the same words in the first few chapters and occasionally later in the book that I heard on Men, Women and Shame. It seems to me that even if she wanted to use the same examples, finding different wording would make the whole thing seem less redundant. The sad part is *this* is the better book, but it's completely gender-biased.

I truly hope that someone is working very hard on giving us examples and tips for men, especially because even mental health professionals refused to admit that shame could touch men until recently. That alone is just another shaming experience for men, and since we're all in the world together, it would be great if everyone was on the same page.

I truly think Brown has hit on a foundational experience for human beings with this groundbreaking shame research and the way she has permeated pop culture with this information. I'm not a massive fan of pop-psychology, but she does it well and keeps it based in the research. And when it comes down to it, her work in shame is the basis for all of the rest of her work in vulnerability, acceptance, and all the other things she's suddenly known for.

review 2017-10-22 02:37
The Girl With All the Gifts
The Girl with All the Gifts - M.R. Carey

WOA!  WOW!

What a great book to read in one sitting.

review 2017-05-11 04:17
Review of "Six of Crows" (The Dregs, #1)
Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo

Well, technically the ebook edition I read came to the end of the book at 77% (sneak peeks of other books, acknowledgements, etc.).

Helluva ride and a great book.  Lots of dire straits and insurmountable odds.  But with characters that get to you.

Although, I'm not sure if I really should have read the Grisha trilogy first.

Ratings scale used in absence of a booklikes suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Average.   Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked or meh? but kept me reading in hopes would get better.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. Cannot imagine anyone liking.  (Might also be just an "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." If author is going batshit crazy in the blogosphere over reviews -- I now know why they are getting bad reviews.  Or maybe author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them?)

review 2016-05-22 06:25
Missed the Mark- 1.5 stars...
The Communication Room - Adam Aresty

"Leonard Ackerman works at a remote army base trying to solve the greatest threat facing mankind. An alien invasion that has eroded our species down to very few numbers as far as Ackerman can tell. His base is compromised and Ackerman retreats to a laboratory he has never been inside, locking himself there with the enemy right outside his door. Inside the lab are thirteen telephones—from the American civil war through to Ackerman’s present day, about 100 years from now."

"This laboratory seems to be some sort of closed experiment and Ackerman discovers that he cannot exit the lab until the experiment has run its course. The method and ultimate goal of the test is beyond his reach for now... but the first telephone rings and the only thing Ackerman can do is answer..."

I'll admit I was intrigued when I read the blurb for this book but I honestly did not enjoy the story like I thought I would. I understand what the author was trying to do but it just missed the mark for me, especially at the end. The ending just didn't gel with the actual closed experiment story line. I was left wondering if the ending was actually written for a totally different story. I also didn't feel any attachment to the characters so I had a hard time even staying interested in their outcome.

*I received this ARC from NetGalley & Strange Fictions Press in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Reviews Published 80%  Challenge Participant

Caffeinated's 24 HR ARC Readathon

Clean Sweep ARC Challenhe
review 2016-05-21 11:47
Bookburners Season One: Episode 1...
Bookburners: Badge, Book, and Candle (Season 1, Episode 1) - Mur Lafferty,Max Gladstone,Margaret Dunlap,Brian Francis Slattery

Bookburners is a serial about a detective named Sal Brooks who joins a secret Vatican Black-Ops Squad after her brother gets possessed by demons after handling an ancient text that houses dark magic and demons. The squad is tasked with retrieving these books before more demons are spread through the world.

I wasn't sure what to expect going in to this but I knew the serial was about books so I couldn't pass it up. I know my description sounds far out there but the story was actually pretty realistic and not too unbelievable. There's a little bit of mystery, a little action and fantasy and the story moves at a good pace. The black-ops squad is a mix of some pretty cool and quirky characters too.

This was the first episode of Season 1 and there are 16 episodes in this season. I'm definitely going to continue with the serial. I'm very curious to see what happens next. If you're interested in learning more, you can go to www.serialbox.com

*I received Bookburners: The Complete Season One ARC from NetGalley & Serial Box Publishing in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Reviews Published Professional Reader Challenge Participant