logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: read
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-08-16 17:53

~BOOK BLURB~

The Empress

S.J. Kincaid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It’s a new day in the Empire. Tyrus has ascended to the throne with Nemesis by his side and now they can find a new way forward—one where they don’t have to hide or scheme or kill. One where creatures like Nemesis will be given worth and recognition, where science and information can be shared with everyone and not just the elite.

But having power isn’t the same thing as keeping it, and change isn’t always welcome. The ruling class, the Grandiloquy, has held control over planets and systems for centuries—and they are plotting to stop this teenage Emperor and Nemesis, who is considered nothing more than a creature and certainly not worthy of being Empress.

Nemesis will protect Tyrus at any cost. He is the love of her life, and they are partners in this new beginning. But she cannot protect him by being the killing machine she once was. She will have to prove the humanity that she’s found inside herself to the whole Empire—or she and Tyrus may lose more than just the throne. But if proving her humanity means that she and Tyrus must do inhuman things, is the fight worth the cost of winning it?

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really loved the first book in this series and like most people I thought it was going to be a stand-alone.  I was fine with that, but someone must've really wanted this story to continue…and continue it did.

One of the things I loved about the first book in this series was its darkish feel and unfortunately this was missing that darkish-ness most of the way through, added to that, the first half was way too political by far.   I was really leaning towards a 3.5 Star rating on this, right up until the end.

That ending saved this from a lower rating…because…I loved that ending.  Thankfully, Nemesis pulled through and oddly enough, Tyrus did too, in a way.  I can see a lot of readers not liking where this book was going by the end, but I am not one of them.  I'm really intrigued to see where this story goes in the final book…I'm hoping since it was mentioned, that it will involve going to Earth in some way…I just wish they would have someone else narrate the audiobook.

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Theme or Tone~ 4/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 3.8/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4/5

Originality~ 4.5/5

Ending~ 5/5 Cliffhanger~ definitely a "to be continued"

Book Cover~  It's okay…

Narration~ 3 for Candace Thaxton, I don't really like her voice…too nasally and I wish this series was done by someone else.

Series~ The Diabolic #2

Setting~ Outer Space

Source~ Audiobook (Library)

review 2018-08-16 10:49
Finding Jack
Never Say Die (Alex Rider) - Anthony Horowitz

Finding Nemo Alex Rider version.

With more actions.

I thought this is the last book. So happy that new one is coming soon.

Alex Rider lost Jack in the last adventure. Now he thought he got some vague hints that Jack might still be alive. And it is all a cruel trick on him to let him feel the pain of losing the only adult that care for him constantly.

Good that his Sabrina's father took him in.

But Alex Rider wouldn't let go of even a small chance that Jack is still alive and he could find her again.

Sometimes we read YA because it reminds us of how life look like when we are still young, and the world is both scary and exciting at the same time.

I wanted to read book that has less cynicism that reflect the cruel human made reality that we are living in now.

And YA has an additional advantage of usually not ended too badly for the main characters.

Anthony is a good writing for adding humors into the story. And the character building for Alex has done pretty well. Although the villains are usually too forthcoming with their evil plan, that reminds us of most of the animations on TV. iit is not really that distracting.

Action adventure teenage spy stuff is pretty addictive if it is done correctly.

Highly recommended this for a summer read.

review 2018-08-16 00:57
Keeps Getting Better
Empire of Ruins - Arthur Slade

***Possible spoilers you’ve been warned***

This series is so consistent and does not disappoint. So we covered the city, we covered the sea in the second book. Now it’s time to go into the deep jungles and go on an exciting adventure that involves natives, flying ships, an Egyptian temple placed in Australia (I know right?), which results in an Indiana Jones type of adventure but involves secret agents, spies, and horrible clockwork falcons that can kill.

You can’t get more exciting than this. It starts off at a good pace and it’s steady. I enjoyed how during the ‘down times’ there is focus on Modo and Octavia’s character development. Modo still has some childish characteristics in him but as the novel progresses he slowly gets over that and the change stands out. You really do feel for him as his appearance starts to affect him, especially with his relationship with Octavia. His encounter with the natives help him to be comfortable in his own skin and I think because of this he starts acting more headstrong and does the talk back to Mr Socrates (which was a great scene to read. Wowwweee Modo, you do that clap back because Mr Socrates sure can’t take it haha)

I felt for Modo when he reveals his true likeness to Octavia. I get where she’s coming from though. She had this mental picture of Modo and it was nothing like the real thing so of course she wouldn’t know how to react. It hurt to read though. I couldn’t even imagine how crush Modo would have felt considering how much he feels for Octavia.

The plot in itself was super good and filled with action during the last half of the novel. The bad guys run with their tail between their legs in this one (enjoyable to read no doubt) but they come back with a vengeance towards the end. I rather expected the temple to be a little more of a challenge to go through (more traps please) but then perhaps that would prolong the adventure just a little too much.

I’m wanting to know what’s going to happen between Modo and Mr Socrates considering they had a falling out in the novel. This is going to get good and I hope the fourth and final novel will close this on a good note. Greatly recommend this series so far, pick it up and enjoy! It’s a great adventure!

review 2018-08-15 09:23
Kastrierte Priester und eine verliebte Katie
Gequälte Engel: Thriller - Graham Masterton

Inhaltsangabe

Welches Geheimnis verbirgt die katholische Kirche von Irland?

An einem kalten Frühlingsmorgen in der Grafschaft Cork finden zwei Fischer im Blackwater River den aufgeblähten Körper von Father Heaney. Hände und Füße sind gefesselt und um den Hals trägt er die Würgemale einer Garrotte. Zudem ist er kastriert worden.
Kurz darauf wird ein zweiter Priester auf die gleiche Weise zu Tode gefoltert.
Katie Maguire befürchtet, dass ein Serienmörder gerade erst mit seinen Taten begonnen hat…

Meine Meinung

Wer Katie Maguire bereits aus „Bleiche Knochen“ kennt, der weiß, dass ihr tote und kastrierte Priester deutlich besser stehen, als eine verliebte Blindheit.

Man gönnt der Frau als Leser ja so einiges an Glück, aber hier hat Graham ein wenig zu sehr auf rosarotes Papier gesetzt, aber dazu später mehr.

Nach dem Lesen des Klappentextes war ich mir noch nicht ganz sicher, ob mir die Thematik Kirche zusagt. Denn eigentlich ist das nicht mein Thema, aber der FESTA Verlag konnte mich bei „BIGHEAD“ schon einmal umstimmen.

Denn nach dem Auffinden des ersten toten Priesters und kurze Zeit später Opfer Nummer 2, wird schnell klar, dass der Autor hier weniger Wert auf die Kirche an sich legt, sondern die Story in eine blutige und von Rache getränkte Richtung fließen lässt.

Das erste WARUM und WER kommt einem beim Lesen sehr schnell in den Sinn, aber das stört hier nicht weiter, denn Masterton schreibt toll. Der Perspektivwechsel zwischen der ermittelnden Katie, dem Opfer und dem Täter bringt immer frischen Wind in die Geschichte. Vor 7 Jahren wurde gegen 12 Priestern wegen sexuellen Missbrauchs ermittelt. Kein neues Thema, ich weiß, aber der Autor bestätigt diesen Missbrauch nicht einfach, sondern lässt es offen.

Fakt ist, dass sich jemand an diesen Priestern rächt. Und Graham Masterton bringt hier für mich ein paar neue Foltermethoden ein, die ich mir auf meinem privaten Zettelchen vermerke. Falls es mal zum Äußersten kommen sollte, legt euch lieber mit jemand anderem an, denn ich lese FESTA- Bücher und bin zu allem bereit.

Der Fall hat es in sich und die Antwort auf die gequälten Engel wird recht lang zurückgehalten, kommt dann aber mit Blitz und Donner.

Und dann komme ich noch mal kurz auf Katie zu sprechen. Eigentlich darf ich sie hier gar nicht allein nennen, denn da fehlt noch die zweite Hälfte des Gefühlsübels. John, den einige noch aus dem ersten Band der Reihe kennen sollten, geht Katie nicht mehr aus dem Kopf und es bahnt sich was an. Vielen stößt allein dieser Part in dem Genre schon negativ auf. Ich muss sagen, dass ich eigentlich recht menschlich auf solche Szenen reagiere, ABER womit ich ein großes Problem habe, sind starke Frauen, die sich zu Mimosen verwandeln. Eigentlich verwende ich das Wort Mimosen lediglich für Männer, aber hier muss Katie auch mal dran glauben. Sie lässt ihre starken und selbstbewussten Charakterzüge hier durch einen Mann unterbinden und das finde ich schade.

Schreiend an Katie:

„Katie zieh den Finger und sei wieder die Alte!“

Denn ein kleiner Hoffnungsschimmer lässt mich sehnsüchtig auf Band 3 freuen.

Mein Fazit

Mit dem Fall an sich und seinem exzellenten Schreibstils kann mich Graham Masterton wieder für sich gewinnen. Lediglich Katie schwächelt mir hier zu sehr. Nicht so sehr bei den Ermittlungen, sondern es ist der Privatbereich, der mir hier ein Dorn im Auge ist.

Ansonsten lässt der KT zu Band 3 hoffen, also an alle Katie-Fans, verpasst diesen Fall nicht und Amen den armen Priestern!