logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: reading-the-hbu
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-07-18 17:19
Review: The Rending and the Nest by Kaethe Schwehn
The Rending and the Nest - Kaethe Schwehn

When ninety-five percent of the world’s population disappears for no apparent reason, Mira does what she can to create some semblance of a life: She cobbles together a haphazard community named Zion, scavenges the Piles for supplies they might need, and avoids loving anyone she can’t afford to lose. Four years after the Rending, Mira has everything under control. Almost.

Then Mira’s best friend, Lana, announces her pregnancy, the first in this strange world and a new source of hope for Mira. But Lana gives birth to an inanimate object—and soon other women of Zion do, too—and the thin veil of normalcy Mira has thrown over her new world begins to fray. As the community wrestles with the presence of these Babies, a confident outsider named Michael appears, proselytizing about the world outside Zion. He lures Lana away and when she doesn’t return, Mira has to decide how much she’s willing to let go in order to save her friend, her community, and her own fraught pregnancy.

*I received a free copy from the publisher and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

1 ½ ★

Sadly this book was a DNF, I don’t like to DNF books and I rarely do it but I just couldn’t connect with this book.

I like to say that the writing is what put me off, and that I’m sure many people will enjoy this book and its writing style. It just was not for me.

For one it seemed a bit too much philosophy for me. Yes, I like when I book makes you think and maybe see a bigger pictures but as far as I read this book was too much of it, almost was like fill in the blanks feeling for me. It started out with the world building or the lack of it, in this case. We are just thrown into the story with very little info about the world or prior events. We don’t know why 95% of humanity disappeared or what lead up to it. It’s just a fact no explanation or anything and we just supposed to take it. While sometimes that can make a book, it defiantly didn’t in this case, at least not for me. It just made me feel lost and disconnected to the book. That also goes for the characters. I had a hard time to connect to any of them and it just felt sort flat to me.

Another issue I had was that it seemed incredible slow to me , I only made it to page 116 but it felt like I read 300 some pages. But to be honest it could have been just the fact that I was not a huge fan of the book.

While this book was not for me, I still think plenty if people would enjoy it and appreciate the writing style much more than I did.

I rate it 1 ½ ★ for the 116 pages that I have read if the book.

Image result for nah gif

Buy Links

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/07/18/review-the-rending-and-the-nest-by-kaethe-schwehn
review 2018-07-18 16:32
Ok, so other than the grass, this one was pretty darned cute...
Hearts and Flour - Tara Lain,Ry Forest,Stephen Kurpis

So if you saw my updates on GR than you saw my comment about how 'delicious' was't a word that I'd use to describe the smell of a freshly mowed lawn...sorry but while I do like the smell of a freshly mowed lawn it just doesn't make me hungry. But neither am a raw food fanatic like Micah Truveen (yeah, he's one of the MCs in this story)

Micah Truveen is a raw food vegan and he's all about the healthy foods. So when he discovers his customers are flocking to the new cupcake shop up the street...you can well imagine that he blows a gasket and then he goes home to find his sleazeball of a boyfriend, Dharamaram doing the nasty in bed with someone else...well he blows another gasket and really who can blame him? Certainly not I. I was so on board with him kicking his backside to the curb and then heading over to his friends anti-Valentine's party (read orgy) where he meets this incredibly sexy, southern belle...Quentin Darby.

Quentin likes his pretty things sexy dresses, stiletto heels and can I just say here...I'm jealous because damn, I can't walk in those things but seems Quentin's a runway queen on them.

Quentin moved to California with his southern grandmother to take care of her. I loved Quentin's grandma...she's awesome, I'd move to Cali to take care of her too. Unfortunately Quentin's got secrets from that he's keeping from her. He's afraid of loosing her love if he tells her that he's gay much less that he's a cross dresser. But Quentin's also not told Micah what he does for a living either...maybe Quentin has a cupcake shop...oopsie, this is going to be an awkward moment.

'Hearts and Flour' was from start to finish a light fluffy, cupcake of a read. While Micah and Quentin might have met under questionable circumstances and it was definitely lust at first sight. Take heart dear reader two things did not occur 1. neither of them was with anyone else at said orgy and 2. it was insta-lust not insta-love.

"Hearts and Flour" was also a chance for me to check out a couple of new narrators...Rys Forest and Stephen Kurpis and I have to say from a purely audio perspective I enjoyed this one. I'm not sure who read what parts but I'm ok with that as well since I can honestly say I liked it all...however, I will say whoever did the voice of Quentin was awesome. When Quentin was dressed as a woman the narrator gave him this wonderful husky, feminine tone that really gave depth to that character and simply enhanced the image of Quentin that I had in my head...it was spot on.

I'm definitely going to keep an ear tuned for more by these two. At present there's only one other book to their credit that I was able to find on audible and it's also by Ms Lain...so, it looks like I've got at least one more Tara Lain book in my future.

If you're looking for something cute and fun to enjoy on audio...let's call it summer listening. You might want to give this one a chance. It's a nice way to pass a bit of time on a too hot to do anything summer afternoon.

***********************

An audio book of "Hearts and Flour" was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

review 2018-07-18 15:46
What happens when the person who should be on the right side of the law turns out...
Fire and Flint - Andrew Grey,Greg Tremblay

to be the one who's breaking it.

When Pierre Ravelle is assigned to keep an eye on Judge Crawford because he's been receiving threats in the mail he quickly discovers that he'd much rather keep an eye on the judges clerk, Jordan Erichsohn.

Jordan just wants to stay under the radar. Nothing's more important to Jordan than finalizing his adoption of his young son, Jeremiah and while he doesn't want to sit by while his boss gets away with who knows what but he's pretty sure whatever's going on isn't legal. But he the one thing he knows for sure is that his boss has the power to keep this from happening.

As Pierre and Jordan work together to unravel the facts and find crucial evidence to prove what Judge Crawford is doing Pierre's feelings for Jordan and the young Jeremiah grow and as well as finding evidence against the judge, Pierre becomes determined to make sure that Jordan and Jeremiah not only stay together but that they see him as a part of his family too...one day.

I really enjoyed this story. I loved both Pierre and Jordan. Pierre was solid and reliable both things that Jordan needed in his life. Pierre was a calming force for Jordan. He may have worried about Jordan's situation but he also thought things through and was calm, rational and planned a course of action that not only got the job done but helped to protect the two people who he'd come to care so much about.

And then we have Jordan and he was this awesome, sweet guy that had this amazing heart and ultimately he stepped up and did what needed to be done despite the risk to himself and Jeremiah. I have to admit this really endeared this character to me. As a parent I understand that dilemma that can come from having to decide between doing what's right and what's going to keep your child safe...nothing's more important to me than the well being of my kids and I think most parents will tell you this, but sometimes in the long run what will keep our children safe and make the world a better place for others has a risk attached to it and choices aren't always as clear cut as we'd like them to be.

While the part of this story pertaining to the judge's illegal activities really wasn't very detailed or complex truthfully, I was ok with this. For the most part crimes of this nature are proven and tried based very largely on evidence and gathering this kind of evidence quite honestly can be a long, arduous and boring task...so truthfully I was glad to be spared the details on this.

'Fire and Flint' is a sweet, uncomplicated romance and I think for me it was just what I needed at the time. While Andrew Grey's stories don't tend to be long, complicated or convoluted stories and although stories like that can have their own merits, sometimes what's nice to read or in this case listen to is the type of story that's just sweet and simple and as a reader I can follow along without having to create a flow chart to keep track of who's who and what's what and just find myself lost in an enjoyable romance with a touch of mystery or intrigue to keep to add a little excitement.

I have to admit the icing on the cake for me with this one was that it was narrated by someone who is without a doubt one of my favorite audio narrators...Greg Tremblay. I'm not sure if I've got any glowing descriptives left unused when it comes to this narrator. Honestly he's one of maybe 3 or 4 narrators whose audio books I'll buy or ask for to review without having to listen to the audio sample. I have zero doubt as to the quality of what I'll be hearing when I see that Greg Tremblay's the narrator and for me that pretty much says it all as to how much I like and respect him as a narrator.

'Fire and Flint' is for me a perfect example of what I would call a 'summer read' it's interesting, with very likable characters an solid but not overly complicated plot and a very sweet and happy ending...summer reads, they're a good thing.

************************

An audio book of 'Fire and Flint' was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

review 2018-07-17 15:26
It seems that my Canadianism is showing again, because...
Lost in Indigo - V.L. Locey

right off the setting for this one had me wanting to read it…you guessed it…CANADA!!! And to boot one of the most beautiful places in Canada the Thousand Islands located on the St. Lawrence River.

So we’re off to a lovely start with this setting and then I got to meet Indigo…I loved Indigo for so very many reasons. I loved that he was unapologetically who he was. Indigo refers to himself as ‘genderflux’ and rather than take a bunch of space up here in my review explaining this I’m going to suggest that you do as I did and go ask google. I admit I had a general idea of what this term was but being curious I wanted to know why ‘genderflux’ wasn’t quite ‘genderfluid’.

So back to Indigo who is a young, gay man who also identifies as ‘genderflux’ and well…he’s just special. He’s one of those people who has that something extra special and knowing him makes a person’s life that little bit better and while he’s confident, he’s not conceited or arrogant. Indigo’s come to ‘Bere’s Den’ for the summer to earn money for school, he’s a botany major, taking care of the grounds and helping out with Mathieu Beresford’s care.

Following some pretty serious surgery on his leg after being taken down during a game in the play-offs that resulted in a broken leg…a very complicated broken leg. Mathieu’s the captain of the ‘Buffalo Surge’ and at 38 years old he’s had a solid and successful hockey career and all he really needs to make it perfect is a Stanley Cup win to his name…sadly his team goes on to achieve this while Mat’s in a hospital bed.

As Mat and Indigo spend time together and get to know each other Mat begins to question his life and the choices that have led to him being so deep in the closet that finding the door is more akin to trying to follow a maze without a map.

Along with the MCs we were given an interesting cast of supporting characters from Mat’s friend and beard, Fran. I loved Fran, she was confident and outspoken the kind of friend everyone needs…she gave Mat the truth rather than what he wanted to hear when he sought out her counsel. I also liked Indigo’s father who was Mat’s caretaker as well as his friend and then there was Mat’s agent Arn…while he wasn’t perfect, he was Mat’s friend and what came out of his mouth wasn’t always the right thing to say it was truly never said with malice but with Mat’s best interest at heart…albeit misguided at times, but still he wasn’t a bad person by any means. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the owner of the ‘Buffalo Surge’ that man was a bag ‘o’ dicks! and last but not least there was Mat’s nurse. Sorry I honestly can’t remember her name and can’t be bothered to look it up but she was definitely an interesting character. Even though I felt sorry for her, this didn’t stop me from disliking her immensely as well.

There was so much about this story that I enjoyed and top of the list is the dynamics between Indigo and Mat. While Indigo is the younger partner in this May/December romance. He’s also in many ways the person who truly knows himself the best. He knows who he is and what he wants and most importantly of all he knows that as much as he loves Mat, he needs to love himself as well. Mat knows that he loves Indigo and that what they have is something special. What he doesn’t know is if he can be the man that Indigo deserves but he really wants to try.

This wasn’t necessarily a perfect representation of how the sports world is…specifically the world of professional hockey, I liked that this story gave a more realistic representation of the challenges that a gay man would face as a professional hockey player. For Mat being out and a professional hockey player was never really an option, so his world was about choices…out and proud, personal happiness or professional success, hockey or Indigo…maybe, one day these won’t be choices that a person has to make. But for Mat that day hasn’t arrived.

This wasn’t just a story about falling in love, for Mat it was also a story about finding yourself and being true to who you are, I admit that while I loved Indigo from the start it took me a while to warm up to the character of Mat. Not that he didn’t evoke any emotion in me…nope, I can honestly say that Mat made me angry, annoyed and frustrated on more than one occasion because amongst other things he sometimes felt like the king of the pity party, but he also had me cheering for him and smiling as he traveled his own path of self awareness and personal growth.

‘Lost in Indigo’ is the first book in V. L. Locey’s new series ‘Colors of Love’ and it’s definitely a strong enough start to have me wanting to see what comes next…and maybe I read the blurb at the end of this one but either way sign me up for the journey.

************************

A copy of ‘Lost in Indigo’ was graciously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

review 2018-07-17 15:10
Sadly...‘Tainted Life’ was another case of the premise didn’t deliver for me...
Tainted Life - Jim Gough

This is a romantic/thriller and I love them so of course I was going to check this out…this is my jam!

Related image

Pete Tucker works for the Metropolitan Police and things have gone from on track to off the rails for him. His wife’s suing him for a divorce and she’s seeking sole custody of their son…the light of Pete’s life. After a long hard day of moving into his new home and desperate to escape the disaster his life has quickly become Pete heads into a Soho bar where he meets Liam Jackson. Liam’s sexy, funny and captures Pete’s interest from the start.

Liam’s a photographer whose life has been off the rails for a while now. Photographer by day and in an effort to make ends meet rent boy at night when Liam sees Pete it’s not really about the money for him. He likes Pete and wants to spend time with him, get to know him.

Unfortunately, the real-world creeps in and Liam’s secrets catch up with him putting him in more danger than he’s possibly conceived of. Pete knows he should distance himself from Liam…he’s got enough issues of his own to deal with but whatever the reason he just can’t bring himself to abandon Liam when the sweet, sexy man so obviously needs his help and protection.

So once again it’s a case of focus…for me the focus of this story should have been the relationship between Pete and Liam and in a way it was but with less than 150 pages in the book (196 on my computer) and in some ways it was but from approximately the 39% point in this book until the 75% point, Liam was in the hospital and while that may not seem like a lot when the story’s less than 200 pages it is a considerable chunk of the story, especially when you factor in that the rest of the book also contains all the little bits and pieces that help to flesh out a story and give it depth and to a point even with Liam in the hospital the relationship between Pete and Liam progressed and it was sweet in a lot of ways but at times it was also painfully slow and try as I might and I did try I just didn’t feel the connection between the two men.

I think for whatever reason this one just wasn’t working for me and while I really liked Liam, Pete just didn’t work as well for me and I was at times both frustrated and annoyed with him alternating with moments of genuinely liking him…Pete was a bit of an emotional roller coaster ride for me.

I’ve been letting this one ferment in my brain for a few days and truthfully, I think if there’d been a bit more story after Liam got out of the hospital it might have gone better for me but whatever the reasons this one fell short of the mark for me and while the blurb sounded really good the story ended up just being ok…maybe, next time around things will go better.

Related image

*************************

An ARC of ‘Tainted Life’ was graciously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.