logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: really-really-want-to-read
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-24 02:30
Love and Other Consolation Prizes
Love and Other Consolation Prizes: A Novel - Jamie Ford

Ok, full disclosure: I love Jamie Ford's writing. I think that Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet was the first book I read on a kindle, which was a difficult transition for me, because I have always been a book buyer. Despite the number of books I read on "devices", I still love the weight and feel of one in my hands. At some point, though, I understood the financial downside to needing to own every book I read, not to mention the rapidly decreasing amount of space to store them in my home. So, reading that first book was truly bittersweet, but thankfully, the quality of the story far outweighed my reluctance to read it on a kindle.

And though I read this book on my kindle too, I do have a couple Jamie Ford novels (and even a comic book) which he autographed when he was our guest speaker at our annual author lunch. All of that is to say again, I'm a fan, and Love and Other Consolation Prizes  did nothing to change that.

Ford demonstrates his ability to create a rich, quirky, entirely engaging cast of characters, as well as his knack for finding a "truth is stranger than fiction" topic. His story begins at the 1909 Seattle World's Fair, where a 12-year-old boy is being raffled off. Seriously. If that doesn't capture your imagination, I really don't know what will.

show activity (+)
review 2018-10-24 01:02
Dreadful Skin
Dreadful Skin - Cherie Priest
A gun carrying werewolf hunter who happens to be a nun (and has her own secret!)?! Sign me up!
In reality this was disappointing. I think the format didn't work. This is told in 3 parts. The 1st part is told in 1st person, but with several viewpoints. Each chapter is a different viewpoint- but no chapter headings nor was it obvious (sometimes) whose point of view it was. The 2nd part was 3rd person and this worked so much better! The 3rd and last part was back to 1st person. But the chapters had headings so I knew whose point of view it was.
The frequent POV changes were just too distracting.

Halloween Bingo:  Genre: Horror

review 2018-10-23 21:55
Shards of Hope by Nalini Singh
Shards of Hope (Psy/Changeling) - Nalini Singh

Really good. It's one of the longest if not the longest psy-changeling novel but I still wanted more. The way the Arrows started to build their society was so fascinating and I liked how all these different groups were trying to work together. There were old characters and amazing new ones and while some of the old villains were still lurking around they had a terrifying new foe, who wasn't picky while choosing its targets.
This is definitely my favourite paranormal series.

review 2018-10-23 21:44
Lend (Flyte) by Angie Sage
Lend (Septimus Heap #2) - Angie Sage,Merlin Laansoo

I really like this series. Yes, it's predictable but in a good way. The cover and illustrations are gorgeous and there is a map. The story is well written, characters likeable and the world interesting.
Great fantasy book for children.

review 2018-10-23 21:38
Doon by Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon
Doon - Lorie Langdon,Carey Corp

It was kind of addictive. I started the book and several times decided to stop but couldn't, because I wanted to know how it will end. So I finished it and now I have no idea how to rate it.

The beginning was quite interesting and mysterious. Veronica gets dumped by his cheating boyfriend and suddenly sees a handsome young man, who is wearing a kilt. The next moment the man disappears. A bit later Veronica travels to Scotland with her friend Mackenna, who has inherited her aunts cottage. In Scotland Veronica again sees the same man and hears about Doon - a magical land hidden behind a veil of mist, which can be visited only once in a hundred years. The village people are sure that Mackenna's aunt was one of the people who had seen Doon with her own eyes.

When girls find aunt's diary and the rings, Veronica decides to prove that Doon exists. Mackenna doesn't believe in it but plays along, so that Veronica could go on after she realizes Doon is just a fairytale.
It turns out Doon is real and before you know the girls are thrown into a dungeon, accused by being the accomplices to a witch, who has tries to destroy Doon for centuries. Veronica's dream man turns out to be the crown prince of Doon, who can't stand the girl and acts like a total jerk.

Doon was a weird place with indoor plumbing, sword fights, sushi, and carriages. At first it was so strange, but there was a rather good explanation of this mixing of centuries.

Some days ago I moaned about the lack of books with true female friendship, well Veronica and Mackenna were really good friends. But the girls themselves were ... I don't have good enough word for this. Some examples maybe:

[spoiler]* they don't like their looks but think the other one is absolutely gorgeous.
* Mackenna has no time or patience to read her aunt's diary. She's stomping around the room and singing hits from musicals while Veronica is reading the diary.
* They are accused of witchcraft and instead of keeping her mouth shut, Mackenna threatens a man with some "Disney magic".
* The other time she decides to be silent and let Veronica speak, but opens her big mouth anyway and makes things worse again.[/spoiler]

Veronica plays a martyr almost the whole story.

[spoiler]* She believes it's her duty to save Doon without saying anything to Mackenna or James.
* Although James tells her, that he is a grown up and for once would like to make his own decisions (it turns out when you are a crown prince, your whole life is planned before your birth), Veronica just takes his choices away, because she "knows" what is best for James and Doon.
* She also makes assumptions without knowing all the facts and almost kills everyone.

[/spoiler]

And James, I actually thought he was bipolar. His mood swings were confusing as hell. Later I understood his behaviour but his stalling was annoying.

I actually liked Duncan, Fiona, and Fergus. They had some sense and although some things were so obvious, those didn't bother me as much as all that stuff I wrote before.

I so hoped it to be a 5 star read because of Scotland, travelling to a fairytale land, magic, but unfortunately it wasn't so.