logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: regency
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-08-19 01:37
Historical Romance
All She Loves: a Regency Romantic Myster... All She Loves: a Regency Romantic Mystery - Amy Corwin

All She Loves is my first book by Amy Corwin.  I liked it.  Ms Corwin has delivered a well-written book.  The characters are entertaining.  Elspeth and Geoffrey's story is full of drama, suspense and a little spice.  I enjoyed reading All She Loves and look forward to reading more from Amy Corwin in the future.  This is a complete book, not a cliff-hanger.

I voluntarily read a free copy of this book that I received from BookFunnel.

review 2017-08-18 16:33
For the Love of a Widow: A Regency Novella by Christina McKnight
For The Love Of A Widow: Regency Novella - Christina McKnight

When I grow up I want to be a Christina McKnight heroine. A rather ridiculous statement, I know, but in reality it makes sense. Ms. McKnight centers her stories around women with strength of character. They are fighters, not victims. They lead with heart but have the smarts to back it up and they always manage to land on their feet and in the arms of their perfect match. Of course life is not a fairytale, but with stories like For the Love of a Widow, characters like Daniel and Lettie, keep the fantasy alive in a realistic kind of way.

review 2017-08-14 03:54
The Romance is a Nope
Regency Buck - Georgette Heyer

This was my second (at least) read of Regency Buck. There were parts of it that I liked better this time around, and parts that I actually liked less.

The hero, Lord Worth, is no more likeable in this read than he was the first time I read it. I just cannot conceive of his appeal for Judith, who is headstrong and occasionally obtuse, but who is generally of a friendly, informal disposition. Worth, on the other hand, is cold, withdrawn and often downright unpleasant. He also more or less assaults Judith on their first meeting by kissing her without her consent, an incident that is not made more appealing with threats of repetition.

She made light of the circumstance of the stranger’s kissing her: he would bestow just such a careless embrace on a pretty chambermaid, she dared say. It was certain that he mistook her station in life.

I don't find this even remotely appealing, not the least on behalf of the pretty chambermaids of the Regency, who deserved better than to suffer random groping by asshole peers taking unwanted liberties upon their persons. Ugh. There is one occasion where he actually threatens to beat her.

Do not look daggers at me: I am wholly impervious to displays of that kind. Your tantrums may do very well at home, but they arouse in me nothing more than a desire to beat you soundly. And that, Miss Taverner, if ever I do marry you, is precisely what I shall do.’

Gross. On top of that, there is no real sense that he has improved by the end of the book. He treats her indulgently, referring to her repeatedly as "adorable," in a way that is actually fairly insulting.

It seems to me that Heyer is trying hard to create a Darcy/Lizzie vibe, with the sparks that fly between them and the irreverent teasing that Lizzie uses to soften up the withdrawn, shy Darcy. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me at all, because I just don't see Worth having Darcy's good points. Darcy seems like a jerk. Worth is a jerk.

So, as far as the romance goes, this one didn't convince me. I wanted to push Worth overboard, and have Judith marry one of the other male characters. Mr. Brummel, for example, was quite charming, as was Lord Worth's younger brother, Charles.

Now, though, the really good aspect of this book - Heyer did a great job with the mystery in this romance. Someone is trying to get Judith's brother, Peregrine, out of the way, and the way that she plotted that particular part of the book was genius. There were several bits of redirection that were extremely effective, and even the second time around, she confounded me a couple of times.

TL/DR: Keep the mystery, jettison the romance. A hero who threatens to beat the heroine is not a hero to root for.

review 2017-08-12 21:54
Unlucky coincidence
Her Enemy at the Altar - Virginia Heath

This book had the unlucky coincidence of being read right after a lackluster book that pretty much had the same storyline.

Tall heroine who hides her hurt behind a tough abrasive exterior. This book's heroine was better constructed but the whole "I can never believe I have any minuscule attractiveness to me" carried on far too long. It ended up giving her a bit of immaturity.

Poor gorgeous hero who needs to marry for money to save estate. Same character outline as the other books I read but story placement here was a bit different with hero and heroine's families having a centuries old feud. The feud wasn't really explained but how it effected their present families was detailed. They are caught in a compromising position and hero marries heroine even though her father doesn't give him her dowry, thus bankrupting the hero.

This book had more of a story construct but how long it takes the hero and heroine to develop past the immature "I hate you!" "No, I hate you!" took too long and I missed seeing their relationship without any animosity.

Since I read this right after not enjoying an extremely similar storyline, I definitely think I already had my fill of insecure abrasive tall heroines (I'm even one!) and the poor gorgeous heroes who just want them to recognize how regal they are.

The bottom line, I was exhausted by how long it took hero and heroine to move beyond their animosity.

review 2017-08-11 17:43
Surface
If the Rogue Fits (Must Love Rogues Book 2) - Eva Devon

Heiress is tall and not conventionally attractive, because of how her father always puts her down and men act toward her, she becomes very bitter towards the opposite sex. Earns reputation for being a man hater.

Gorgeous poor Earl needs money to rebuild estate father ruined. Finds out heroine is rich and goes for her, lucky him, he finds her sassy great.

Heroine's whole gender male hating and gruffness was a bit off-putting and hero's genial good guy shucks was a bit hokey dokey. Not a lot of depth to the writing, very surface characters with cliche villainous daddies and non-villainous misunderstood sister and friend.

The story was predictable from beginning to end and was a quick read. Some dialogue connection moments between hero and heroine but never flushed out. Surface and over trodden ground.