logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: releases
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-04-22 01:19
Renegade Atlas: Renegade Star Series Book 2
Renegade Atlas - JN Chaney

Do you guys remember the show Knight Rider and the AI, Kitt, that was installed his car? Well the main character in this series, Jace Hughes, has an AI in his spaceship named Sigmund aka Siggy and he's so cool! He's like the star of the series.

I have some good memories of watching Knight Rider and Indiana Jones and this series is like a cross between the two but set in space, so I'm enjoying it tremendously. But if you're not a fan of over the top, outrageous action scenes then you might want to find something else because this is pure entertainment. You really have to be willing to believe the unbelievable as they say.

I listened to the Publishers Pack audio version and the audio performance made the story come to life even more. There's no audio for books 3, 4 and 5 though which completely sucks especially after hearing and loving the narration in this book.

review 2018-04-20 04:53
Deliciously Creepy & Suspenseful...
The Carrow Haunt - Darcy Coates

The Carrow Haunt is Darcy Coates newest release. It's about a girl named Remy that gives tours of the famously haunted Carrow House. On one of her tours, a guest asks if she will proposition the owner to allow a group of people including Remy, to stay at Carrow House for a couple of weeks in order to study the paranormal phenomena up close and personal. Not willing to pass up a chance to experience some of the sightings she talks about in her tours everyday, Remy agrees to participate;  and the owner, a huge paranormal enthusiast, jumps on the chance, with the stipulation that she has to be included in the guest list too. None of the guests are quite prepared though, for the terrifying experience Carrow House has in store for them.

So this is the second book I've ever read by Darcy Coates and I was just as impressed with it as I was with Craven Manor. I love a good ghost and haunted house story and she's delivered in both books. The Carrow Haunt was deliciously creepy and suspenseful! Once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. I'm definitely looking forward to reading a lot more of her books.

review 2018-04-20 03:00
Words Can Not Express...
Obsidio (The Illuminae Files) - Jay Kristoff,Amie Kaufman

...how freaking fantastic this book was! It was so damn good! But man I hate that its over! I'm going to miss the crew, even AIDAN, especially AIDAN!!

I thought Obsidio was way better then Gemina- and just as good if not better, then even Illuminae. Don't get me wrong Gemina was good but I honestly thought it had way too much of a teenage vibe to it. A lot of the dialogue and banter got on my nerves, so I was desperately hoping I would be spared in Obsidio. And thank the heavens Obsidio did not take on that tone at all! It was an amazing work of art! This is one series that I can actually see myself re-reading/listening to over and over again!

review 2018-04-19 16:46
The Faraday Files Book #3: The Heartreader's Secret
The Heartreader's Secret - Kate McIntyre
The Timeseer's Gambit (The Faraday Files Book 2) - Kate McIntyre
The Deathsniffer's Assistant - Kate McIntyre

Outstanding yet again! The Faraday Files is one of my most favorite series! The 1900s alternate steampunk London (Darrington City) and the diverse cast of characters found a place in my heart in Kate Mcintyre's debut, The Deathsniffer's Assistant, and I've been watching the characters struggle and cry, laugh and grow, sacrifice and persevere ever since.

The Deathsniffer's Assistant - Kate McIntyre

But before I get into my review of Kate's newest release, book three, The Heartreader's Secret, I'd like to give you a brief overview of the first two books.

In the first book, The Deathsniffer's Assistant, we're introduced to the very eccentric and hard-hearted Olivia Faraday, a Deathsniffer (someone who hunts murderers) and her overly sensitive assistant, Christopher Buckley, a WordWeaver (transcribes thoughts directly to page).

Chris and his sister, Rosemary recently lost both of their parents in the Floating Castle accident and Chris has had to take on the responsibility of not only raising Rosemary but trying to keep her safe and out of the hands of the enemy that want to harness her unique and very strong gifts. Chris and Rosemary have been living on the savings that their wealthy parents left them but the money is starting to run out so Chris has to find a job to support them. He's never had to work before so he has absolutely no experience doing anything and Olivia Faraday, who's in need of an assistant to help with her investigations, is the only employer willing to take him on. So there begins the start of an unexpected but fond and spirited comradeship...

The Timeseer's Gambit (The Faraday Files Book 2) - Kate McIntyre

In book two, The Timeseer's Gambit, Olivia and Chris have their hands full hunting for someone using bound elementals to kill young priests and trying to find evidence to save Dr. Francis Livingstone who's been falsely accused and is now standing trial for the thousands of deaths caused by the falling of the Floating Castle. In his personal life Chris is struggling with his sexual identity and the mixed feelings he has for both Rachel Albany and his childhood friend, Will.

The Heartreader's Secret - Kate McIntyre

Then we come to Kate's newest masterpiece, The Heartreader's Secret. Chris's attraction to both Rachel and Will come to a roaring head in this book. We get an in-depth view of how conflicted Chris is with his sexual identity. He really struggles with reconciling his real feelings with his need to conform to society's expectations. On top of that, Emilia, a very brilliant engineer, poc and girlfriend to one of Chris and Olivia's good friends, Maris, has gone missing. Maris, a police officer, is absolutely devastated and she's convinced that something bad has happened to Emilia. On Maris's request, Chris and Olivia travel to the last place Emilia was working which happens to be Olivia's childhood home, Miller's farm. They've traveled under the guise of investigating the suicide of one the stable hands so as not to alert potential suspects that they're on their trail. As Chris and Olivia search for clues to Emilia's dissapearance, we also get a front row seat to the discord between Olivia and her mother and we learn the real reason why Olivia has given up her family legacy to be a Deathsniffer.

So that's a little background on the series thus far. It'a a spectacular series and each book just gets better and better! If you like mysteries with a dash of steampunk, then you should really give this series a try. I guarantee Darrington City and its diverse and eccentric inhabitants will reel you in like they did me!

*I received this ARC from the publisher, Curiosity Quills Press, and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

AMAZON

GOODREADS

review 2018-04-15 18:46
Renegade Star: Renegade Star Series Book 1
Renegade Star - JN Chaney

I've read some of Chaney's other books and really enjoyed them but I'll be honest I've been hesitant to read this series because of the awful covers. I know, I know, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but I think subconsciously I still do it. Anyways, I was in the mood for a light story last night so I said what the hell, lets go for it and it actually ended up being the perfect book. It was so much fun! It seriously reminded me of an Indiana Jones movie set in space with it's similar group of scholarly characters following a map, silly banter and the same non-stop, stay one-step ahead of your pursuers, action.

The main character, Jace, is a Renegade which is basically a thief that takes odd jobs stealing and transporting things for money. Jobs have been few and far between lately and he's in desperate need of quick cash to pay back the money he borrowed from a loan shark to buy a cloaking device for his ship. So against his better judgment, he takes on a job transporting a "nun," Sister Abigail, and her suspicious crate of supposed medical supplies. When he starts hearing sounds coming from the crate, he learns what it really contains and that the Union military and every Ravager in the system is hunting Abigail and her package. With no option to return home now, he decides to go all in with Abigail and her group, joining them on their ultimate quest to find the long lost planet Earth.

If you're an Indiana Jones fan or really liked Revenger by Alistair Reynolds, I think you would enjoy this. It has the best of both worlds.