logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review-copy
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-08-21 18:56
Wrath of the Ancients - Catherine Cavendish
Wrath of the Ancients - Catherine Cavendish

Adeline Ogilvy, a young widow from Wimbledon, has accepted a job in Vienna. Her assignment is to employ her skills as a typist and transcribe the memoirs of the late Dr. Emeryk Quintillus, an archeologist with a most peculiar hidden history. When she begins her recording the doctor's notes, she learns that, five years earlier, he claims to discover the tomb of Cleopatra. Even more astonishing, it seems that he has brought more than secrets back from Egypt. Strange occurrences begin to happen at the mansion. Is what Adeline seeing before her eyes real or a hallucination?

This is my first read of Cavendish and I love the slow burn in this Gothic chiller. I also like how blends an archelogical curiosity and characters with her own original take on what happened all those thousands of years ago. As the story unfurls, I can't help be reminded of the quiet horror writing style of Charles L. Grant. The characters are interesting and I'm drawn to keep turning the pages to see where they go in the story. If I have any criticism it's that there are parts where the pacing seems off. In one instance, things are doing a nice slow burn and then it closes in way too much of a flurry. But, it's a small blemish in an overall fun story. If you haven't had the pleasure to stumble upon Cavendish, Wrath of the Ancients is a great one to introduce yourself.

4 1/2 Green Glowing Apparations out of 5

You can also follow my reviews at the following links:

review 2017-08-20 21:59
MOLTEN DUSK BY: KARISSA LAUREL
Molten Dusk - Karissa Laurel

Words can't even express how excited I was to get my hands on an early copy of Multen Dusk! So I'll just let Thor do it.

Actually, I've enlisted Thor and co. to help me with this review to better express all the many feels this book has inspired.

Molten Dusk pretty much picked up where Arctic Dawn left off, with Helen, Skoll and their goons trying to devour Solina and bring on the second Ragnarok.

I did appreciate just how much Solina and Thorin had grown in this addition to the series. Solina was definitely on a smarter path this time around. She was more hesitant to jump straight into each new dangerous situation. Solina was never one to sit back and let her friends fight the good fight without her, but she did learn to trust in them more and know when to listen to her head and let others take the lead when it made sense. But when the time did come for her to storm in she did so with flare!

Solina went through a lot in this book too. But I think the most devastating was the faceoff with Val. I knew it was inevitable, but man it still stung. I'm honestly glad that Solina seemed to feel that too. Val weasled his way in your heart throughout this series, and it wasn't an easy feat to cast him out.

And then there was Thorin.

Thorin was still the protective, mighty bit of yumminess that we've come to know and love. But I feel like we also got to see a much more vulnerable side to him this time that we haven't really seen much of before. I especially liked hearing more about his past in Asgard, even if it was incredibly heartbreaking.

It was nice to see him opening up to Solina and putting himself out there. And the chemistry between the two was off the charts!

Besides the smoking hot smoochy stuff there was that whole stopping the end of the world as we know it thing they were smack dab in the middle of.

Being that Solina and Thorin were more inclined to trust people (with a heavy dose of weariness, of course), that did put them in the position to possibly be betrayed by those closer to them. And there were many likely candidates for this. It was nearly impossible to foresee exactly who was truly on their side or just laying in wait to make their move against them.

Let us not forget to mention the incredibly awkward/adorable situation where Solina's parents finally came into the fold and were introduced/bombarded with the fact that she and her brother were not exactly human, Norse Myths are real, and all their lives are in danger. Oh, and mom & dad...have you met Thorin the God of Thunder?

I quite enjoyed Thorin whipping out his Hammer for them! And no pervs, that isn't an euphemism for something lewd.

We finally come to the EPIC final showdown at the end. I honestly LOVED the way it all played out. There were quite a few things that I didn't see coming that I wouldn't dream of spoiling for any of you. I will say I was honestly more surprised by those who stepped up and chose to act for what's right than the deceivers this time around. Which was a refreshing change of pace after the (cannot be topped) betrayal in the last book.

I thought things wrapped up nicely in general. It was sad to say goodbye to this story and these characters, and while I would have loved to get a little better of a glimpse past all this chaos and bloodshed, I was pleased to get the little sneak peek.

If you haven't started The Norse Chronicles yet, I highly recommend doing so! It is a perfect blend of Norse Mythology and modern atmosphere, and the series is now complete for you to gobble 'em all up at once!

*Thank you gif maker extraordinaires for the wealth of Thor related gifs on the interwebs that made this post possible*

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review.

**A special thanks to author Karissa Laurel for creating this awesome series, and so kindly sharing early copies and always shouting out your appreciation to your biggest fans (including little ole me!). I can't wait to see what you come up with next!**

review 2017-08-14 15:37
MR. TROUBLE BY: NANA MALONE
Mr. Trouble - Nana Malone

This was a cute contemporary romance. It was a quick read, which explains why like went to love rather briskly. The characters were well developed and likable. Kinsley was smart, sweet, independent lady and Jarred was your typical billionaire on the playboy path that needed something or someone to point him in a better direction. While it sounds pretty standard for the romance genre, I liked that Jarred wasn't a total jerk. It seemed like it was more him finally living up to the low expectations his parents had set for him. It was nice seeing him grow out of his parental issues and finally take his life more seriously. Kinsley and Jarred made a cute pair and they seemed good for each other. I was hoping for a little more of the happy couple at the end, but things wrapped up in a nice way.

I received an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

review 2017-08-06 21:25
CHAMPIONS: AT FIRE'S END BY: CHARLOTTE JAIN
Champions: At Fire's End - Charlotte Jain

<!-- x-tinymce/html -->

I really liked the idea of this book. I am a big fan of Greek and Roman Mythology and the idea of this epic battle between the Titans and Olympians using mortal Champions that they bestow different abilities and elemental control to aid them into destroying each other until the last man is standing to determine the ultimate faction sounded freaking AMAZING to me!

While I do think some of the battle scenes were quite good, I feel like the first half of the book especially was kind of slow moving and rather hard to follow. I honestly feel like you were basically thrust in this situation being expected to navigate these tricky waters and situations like you were an old pro, but in the end it took a bit to actually understand what was actually happening, and by then you were onto the next situation you had to decode.

I also had some trouble really connecting to the characters, April and Kyle were interesting, but I just never felt emotionally invested in them. I was satisfied with the ending, but I feel like the first half of the book made it challenging to get there. I was glad I stuck it out till the end, but ultimately I'm not completely certain it was enough to sway me into continuing with the series. Which was rather disappointing because I feel like there was so much potential here, but the execution needed a little more finesse.

review 2017-08-06 20:34
STARR FALL BY: KIM BRIGGS
Starr Fall (Starr Fall Series) (Volume 1) - Kim Briggs

<!-- x-tinymce/html -->

Starr Fall was an exciting read! I liked the idea of this type of shadowy government unit recruiting the best and the brightest in this really suspect way, even against their will. I really want to know more about them and the kids that they are warping to their surely nefarious ends.  We got to see the lengths they are willing to go to for what they want, but it is still kind of a mystery as to what is really driving them to these lengths and why they are so desperate to get their hands on Starr Bishop.

I quite liked Starr, she was very bright and resourceful, and she has a kind heart. I loved the systematic, logical way she broke things down each time she was faced with these seemingly impossible situations. A lot of this book was Starr just trying to survive and stay off the radar, but I have a feeling that we will see a lot more of her striking back at this corrupt organization in future books, because there's no doubt that Starr is a fighter, she just needed a just cause.

survival check list

I'm a little unsure of my feelings on Christian. On one hand he is definitely a noble kind of guy so far, it seems to be like he had a penchant for sticking up for the underdogs, or rather people in need. The relationship between him and Starr seemed a little rushed to me, and to be honest I would have preferred to have a little more of the mystery/suspense and a little less of the romance. But this was a faster paced story in general so I suppose that makes sense to have things advance more quickly. I just have this weird vibe from Christian though like he's somehow mixed up in this situation more so than just trying to help Starr. I have this feeling that he has a secret or two and they may impact things between Starr and him later.

Im-Watching-You-gif

I'm curious to see what else happens in the next book! I have a few burning questions that I would love to have answered.