Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review-copy
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-03-07 23:31
[Book Review] Tricks for Free
Tricks for Free - Seanan McGuire
Tricks for Free (InCryptid #7) / Seanan McGuire
Previously reviewed
Ok folks, I have some really bad news about this book.

There are no Aeslin mice in it.

But they have their own novella at the end (and it's kind of adorable).

In Magic for Nothing I was a little harsh on Antimony... and what I said still holds true, she needed to grow up and she did.  So now we get an Annie who has learned in a way she never knew before what exactly it means to be a Price, perhaps still with resentment and issues with Verity, but that is tempered with understanding as well.  I like this Annie.

Hiding out from the Covenant (and her family), Antimony has donned an old identity and getting by as an employee at the Lowryland amusement park while she attempts to get her life back together.  Life, on the other hand, has its own plans for her.  Lowryland turns out to be run by a cabal of magic users who offer to teach her to control the fire insider her, friends from her past are around, and deadly accidents start occurring.

So it's up to one stranded Price, her friends, her boyfriend, and a crossroads ghost to handle a particularly unexpected threat.

Advance Reader Copy courtesy of DAW (Penguin RandomHouse) in exchange for an honest review; changes may exist between galley and the final edition.
Source: libromancersapprentice.blogspot.com/2018/03/book-review-tricks-for-free.html
review 2018-03-01 20:14
The Devil's Colony - Bill Schweigart
The Devil's Colony - Bill Schweigart

In a trilogy pertaining to cryptid monsters, I find it fitting that the final book in the series centers around the most horrible monster of all - man. The evil that man has inflicted on each other is astounding to think about. Hatred and bigotry come front and center in Schweigart's The Devil's Colony. Ben and Lindsay are once again called on by billionaire cryptozoologist, Richard Severance. This time, it's to infiltrate the compound of neo-nazi Henry Drexler. Henry is the son of a former Nazi SS officer and scientist who was assigned by Hitler to find proof of the dominance and superiority of the Aryan race throughout history. Now Henry is using his family's fortune and remote camp location in the Pine Barrens Woods of New Jersey to welcome all neo-Nazis and white supremacists who want to join him in continuing his father's dream. But what else has Henry unearthed in his research of his father's past?

The Devil's Colony is different than the previous two entries in the trilogy. The first two, The Beast of Barcroft and Northwoods centers around the cryptid monsters that are unleashed and causing havoc. In The Devil's Colony, the story focuses mainly on the horror's of man and the cryptid monster is a side dish to come in during the last act. According to some reviews I've read, this difference may have tripped up a reader or two. However, it didn't spoil the story for me. I enjoyed Schweigart's tale and thought it hit many of the right notes. Perhaps, the cryptid portion of the story could've been sprinkled a little more throughout so that it didn't seem like two different stories trying to be mashed together. All in all, I enjoyed the trilogy and look forward to more from Bill.

4 Nazi SS Swords out of 5

You can also follow my reviews at the following links:

review 2018-01-01 19:43
Review: Cowboy Up (Coming Home #3) by Harper Sloan
Cowboy Up - Harper Sloan

New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author Harper Sloan returns with a passionate and breathless romance about the sparks that ignite when a cautious cowboy and a once-scorned woman open up to each other in the third installment of the Coming Home series. As the eldest Davis, Clayton has always tried to lead by example. He takes his job as head of the family businesses seriously, making sure the farm and auto shop are running smoothly—along with keeping an eye on his brother and sister. For him, there's a time and place to let go of the control he holds with an iron grip. And with the way he grew up, coupled with disastrous end to his last relationship, he's just fine with his quiet, solitary life. Most of the time. What he hadn't counted on was cute, quirky, shy bookstore owner, Caroline Michaels. She's the proverbial woman next door—well, the next town over, that is. Caroline hasn't lived an easy life, but after escaping an abusive ex, she's finally living it for herself. The last thing she ever expected was a one-night stand with Clay Davis, a night she can't stop thinking about. So when she falls on hard times and Clay comes out of nowhere to her rescue, she realizes just how impossible it'll be to stay away from him. Now all she has to do is convince him to live a little... Will Clay be able to give up the reins and finally settle down? And, more importantly, will Caroline muster enough courage to lasso him up?

Finally with the last book in the series we get my favorite Davis brother, Clay.  While he was the most quiet and reserved he was my favorite since book one and I couldn't wait to learn more about Clay. There is a sating about "still waters run deep" and so on and that is the case with Clay, At least I thought so.  I really enjoyed to learn even more about Clay's backstory and his crappy history plus his heartbreak with women.  I also loved Caroline who is pretty much the opposite of Clay and really brings him to life. She learns quick what buttons to push with him. She also had  less than pleasant history and still has troubles, Clay ever the gentleman is helping her out.  Clay really is the prefect mix of gentleman and bad boy in this book.  I really enjoyed this awesome blend of humor, steam and thrill. Also liked that we see the other familiar faces quite a bit, but without taking away form Clay and Caroline.

I rate this book a full 5★

*I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

review 2018-01-01 19:06
Review: Until You're Mine (Fighting For Her) by Cindi Madsen
Until You're Mine (Fighting for Her) - Cindi Madsen

You might’ve heard of me, Shane Knox, the guy who rose quickly through the MMA fighter ranks, only to crash just as fast. No one cares about personal reasons when it comes to losing fights and money. I’m determined to get back to where I was. For you to hear my name again. I’ve finally convinced the owner of Team Domination to take a chance and get me back in fighting—and winning—shape. What I didn’t bargain for is the guy’s spitfire of a daughter. Factor in her two professional-fighter brothers who are acting as my coaches and the fact that my career hangs in the balance, and Brooklyn’s the last girl I should be fantasizing about.

The closer we get, the more I want Brooklyn. The stakes are high, and I know there’s a big chance of both of us getting hurt, but I won’t stop until she’s mine.

I’m normally not a big fan of MMA books but I think Cindi Madsen has changed my mind. As with all her books, this book is swoon worthy with the perfect blend of humor, romance and sweet moments. I liked both Shane and Brooklyn and they made the perfect couple. Both have overcome some crappy stuff in their past and had different ways to deal with that but yet they made the perfect couple and balanced each other out . While I enjoyed both I liked Brooklyn a bit more, while she was funny and confident she was not as cocky as Shane. But I think that is why they were made for each other. I really enjoyed this book a lot, while of course a bit predictable we still get some nice surprises, awesome characters main and side that kept me glued to the page., Plus we get a gym full hot and sweaty guys, so what’s not to love. Once again Madsen done it again and I’m looking forward to the next book in the series already.

I rate this nook 5 ★

review 2017-12-19 15:35
Review: Daughters of the Storm (Blood and Gold #1) by Kim Wilkins
Daughters Of The Storm - Kim Wilkins

Lying in a magic-induced coma, the King of Thyrsland is on the brink of death: if his enemies knew, chaos would reign. In fear for his life and his kingdom, his five daughters set out on a perilous journey to try to save him, their only hope an aunt they have yet to meet, a shadowy practitioner of undermagic who lives on the wild northern borders.

No-one can stand before the fierce tattooed soldier and eldest daughter Bluebell, an army commander who is rumoured to be unkillable, but her sisters, the loyal and mystical Ash, beautiful but unhappily married Rose, pious Willow and uncertain Ivy all have their own secrets to keep from her — the kind of secrets that if revealed could bring disaster down upon not only them, but the entire kingdom.

Waiting in the wings is stepbrother Wylm whose dealings with Bluebell's greatest enemy, Hakon the Raven King, would end Bluebell's dreams of revenge on his mother and propel his own desperate grasp for power

I was offered an ARC of this book and after reading the blurb fir it I thought it might be something I enjoy and I mostly did. However there also were a few things that I didn’t like as much but overall it was a good book that you will enjoy if you like fantasy. For me the story was a bit slow-paced, but I couldn’t figure out if it was the story line or if it was just me. The entire book is very descriptive, which is always nice but sometimes can slow one down. I definitely enjoyed the story and the idea behind it. I couldn’t wait to see what will happen next. We get a little bit of everything in this book, action, romance, thrill, betrayal and a humor and of course plenty of suspense. Now to the part I couldn’t enjoy as much. The Characters, and not just one but all of the sisters and other people you encounter in the book. For some reason I sadly had a very hard time to connect to any of the characters. While all five sisters were very different from each other they all were equally flat to me. They just came over as very 2 dimensional and I couldn’t connect or relate to any of them. Which made it seem long and sometimes boring. Overall, like I said I enjoyed the story, just not the characters telling it so much. I might read the second book to see if it gets better and to see what happens next. I rate the book 3 ★

*I received a free copy from the publisher and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

Will be available March 6th 2018

Kim Wilkins was born in London, and grew up at the seaside north of Brisbane, Australia. She has degrees in literature and creative writing, and teaches at the University of Queensland and in the community. Her first novel, The Infernal, a supernatural thriller was published in 1997. Since then, she has published across many genres and for many different age groups. Her latest books, contemporary epic women’s fiction, are published under the pseudonym Kimberley Freeman. Kim has won many awards and is published all over the world. She lives in Brisbane with a bunch of lovable people and pets.

Website *** Facebook *** Instagram *** Amazon